Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 459567 times)

Offline limster

Re: [GB] Gateron Switch
« Reply #1850 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 11:51:54 »
Got mine over the weekend (after being held about a week by the USPS).
—Thank you hwood and Shadovved!!!
So well run, it's like Santa Claus is delivering switches to all kids around the world! (with staggered postal delivery times)

Offline geo462rge

« Reply #1851 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:54:20 »
installed some blues on my sixshooter....the only regret i have is not ordering more.  If anyone in NYC area has more than they need, hit me up. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1852 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 13:02:59 »
installed some blues on my sixshooter....the only regret i have is not ordering more.  If anyone in NYC area has more than they need, hit me up.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new GB either here or at MassDrop.  They sell so well, a new buy is inevitable.

Offline phx

« Reply #1853 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 14:53:56 »
just finished putting them in my QFR, gotta say tho, the SP DCS caps are a bit too low profile for this, especially the home row. It feels really weird, one of my keys lock up if pressed on the corner, I gotta dig out some other profile caps and try them again later.

these are sure heavier than MX blues, only a bit tho.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1854 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:56:51 »
Tracking says that my package arrived in Brazil. Now it goes to Customs, a.k.a. Curitiba's postal black hole (Curitiba is the city here in Brazil who concentrates customs for packages with less than 2 kg).

Now we wait.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1855 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:43:05 »
Tracking says that my package arrived in Brazil. Now it goes to Customs, a.k.a. Curitiba's postal black hole (Curitiba is the city here in Brazil who concentrates customs for packages with less than 2 kg).

Now we wait.
So every intl. package < 2kg goes through one place? That's very interesting!

Offline ph3nomzlol

• Ruckus
« Reply #1856 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:48:32 »
My wife retrieved my package from the USPS office today!  Can't wait to make it back home to lay my eyes upon them  :eek:

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1857 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 19:49:35 »

Now we wait.
So every intl. package < 2kg goes through one place? That's very interesting!
Yep. Problem is that there is too few employees for this job (Brazilian's postal service is government run).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1858 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 20:05:20 »
My wife retrieved my package from the USPS office today!  Can't wait to make it back home to lay my eyes upon them  :eek:

The switches, or your wife?

Offline Slaine777

« Reply #1859 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 20:42:46 »
The tactile bump on Cherry MX clears is more pronounced than on MX browns.  I just got my Gateron switches in and the Gateron browns tactile bump feels more like the MX clear to me, but without having all three switches to test at the same time it's tough for me to say for sure.  I'd like to hear how they feel to other people.

Offline ph3nomzlol

• Ruckus
« Reply #1860 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 21:39:07 »

The switches, or your wife?

My wife with my switches.  Double whammy  :p

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1861 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 21:43:23 »
Good save

Offline alex952

« Reply #1862 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 03:37:24 »
Just got the switches delivered! Thanks to Shadovved and hwood34 for running this crazy fast GB. Now I need a board to put them into, at least one before the Infinity Ergodox arrives..  :))

Offline kaisiang

« Reply #1863 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:13:03 »
Just got mine too! Thanks Shadovved and hwood34! Replaced the springs with SPIRiT's 65g, and now waiting for the PCB! Very excited!

Filco MJ 2 Blue       HHKB Pro 2 White Blank

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #1864 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:23:30 »
Mine have landed also! Thanks heaps

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1865 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 07:26:58 »
Just got mine too! Thanks Shadovved and hwood34! Replaced the springs with SPIRiT's 65g, and now waiting for the PCB! Very excited!

Are there any perceivable differences between Sprit's 65g springs and the stock ones?

Offline vindaon

« Reply #1866 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:30:36 »
Picked up my switches today after missing the first delivery. Ordered 100 clears (got 99), 100 blacks (got 99), and 200 switch tops (got 202). Thanks a lot shadovved and hwood34 for making this happen. :thumb:

Offline hj-s

« Reply #1867 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:43:37 »
Just got my package! Guys, you are awesome! This was first group buy for me on this forum, and i like it!

Offline Naed

• Tinkerer and maker of weird prototypes
« Reply #1868 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 12:16:24 »
My package arrived yesterday, got my 200 clear, 200 brown and my random amount of black which is cant remember the exact count on right now :)

Thank you hwood34 and Shadovved for both organizing and shipping/handling this group buy but also for keeping the participants informed :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #1869 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 12:19:40 »

Are there any perceivable differences between Sprit's 65g springs and the stock ones?
Sprit's springs are measured by bottom out force, while Cherry(and Gateron?) are measured by actuation force, so a very big difference.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1870 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 12:30:53 »

Sprit's springs are measured by bottom out force, while Cherry(and Gateron?) are measured by actuation force, so a very big difference.

Sure, but I think Gateron's actuation force is measured at 50g and Sprit's bottom out force is around 65g. I'd imagine the two springs are very similar from everything I've heard... maybe +- 2-3g.

However, bottom out and actuation force isn't everything when it comes to springs... the coil in the spring can result in different characteristics too...

Offline evera

« Reply #1871 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 12:43:31 »
Got mine! Trying out gateron clears with lube and sprit 50g's

Offline laden3

« Reply #1872 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:54:40 »
Have you guys tried typing on the switches with keycaps on them?

It seems like the off-center presses are a bit scratchy to me... Problem seems to go away after I replaced the switch top with a cherry switch top. They feel like vintage blacks to me. :))

I have only tried it on the cherry abs, cherry pom, and the tall doubleshot pbt keycaps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:56:36 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #1873 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:03:38 »

It seems like the off-center presses are a bit scratchy to me... Problem seems to go away after I replaced the switch top with a cherry switch top. They feel like vintage blacks to me. :))

I have only tried it on the cherry abs, cherry pom, and the tall doubleshot pbt keycaps.

I was going to ask the same thing, but didn't want to be the first...but yes, I have this issue also...my keycap stem hits the side of the housing when pressed from the bottom of the keycap vs center. At first I thought it was because the stem was too thick, but....well, you get what you pay for I guess....

Offline laden3

« Reply #1874 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:18:28 »

I was going to ask the same thing, but didn't want to be the first...but yes, I have this issue also...my keycap stem hits the side of the housing when pressed from the bottom of the keycap vs center. At first I thought it was because the stem was too thick, but....well, you get what you pay for I guess....

I have to disagree on that. ;D They are way better than the new cherry blacks.

I did some quick search on baidu and it seems like some chinese keyboard enthusiasts is involved in creating these switches. Maybe with enough feedback they can actually make better switches?

http://weistang.com/thread-816-1-1.html

The switches that I received from the GB is different from the ones showed in the link. Maybe someone who knows more about these switches can enlighten us.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:25:11 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #1875 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 18:36:02 »
just picked up my order from the post office today! Quickest groupbuy ever!
I can't wait to start building.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1876 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 19:03:20 »

I have to disagree on that. ;D They are way better than the new cherry blacks.

I did some quick search on baidu and it seems like some chinese keyboard enthusiasts is involved in creating these switches. Maybe with enough feedback they can actually make better switches?

http://weistang.com/thread-816-1-1.html

The switches that I received from the GB is different from the ones showed in the link. Maybe someone who knows more about these switches can enlighten us.
The first pic is of the KS-1 series (the first version of Gaterons; had a circular indent at the stem base)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline laden3

« Reply #1877 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 21:22:27 »
The first pic is of the KS-1 series (the first version of Gaterons; had a circular indent at the stem base)

Did they stop making the first version?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1878 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 21:54:37 »

Did they stop making the first version?
Yep. Some are floating around, but they've moved on to the current design
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1879 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:03:49 »
Finally got my package picked up from the Post Office.

Thanks for running this GB!

I'm not a linear guy, but these are so smooooth

Missing one of each switch and I have 3 extra tops.

Nothing to complain about

Thanks again :)

Offline rand77

« Reply #1880 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 00:28:00 »
My switches have finally landed in Vancouver, only 1-12 more days to Toronto!

Thanks Canada Post!  :))

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1881 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:21:21 »
so here is what i did with mine my first custom built keyboard sadly the caps i ordered ive been waiting on for 3 month but ive seen people wait longer, currently typing on the switches atm lol.  for some reason the shift key isn't capitalizing even though in the keymapper it registers the shift key keypresses so if anyone has any insight on that please let me know (edit I figured it out I was on the Fn layer when I mapped shift!), also as im sure you can tell by the picture the leds are pretty dim compared to the lock key leds and i can seem to figure that out as well as why a few key's lights dont work at all as they're soldered in well and correctly also they worked when tested in other locations and the caps lock led worked before i mapped it to be control instead ... either way here's the picture in all of its potato glory

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:23:50 by daviswalkers »

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1882 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:46:25 »
so here is what i did with mine my first custom built keyboard sadly the caps i ordered ive been waiting on for 3 month but ive seen people wait longer, currently typing on the switches atm lol.  for some reason the shift key isn't capitalizing even though in the keymapper it registers the shift key keypresses so if anyone has any insight on that please let me know (edit I figured it out I was on the Fn layer when I mapped shift!), also as im sure you can tell by the picture the leds are pretty dim compared to the lock key leds and i can seem to figure that out as well as why a few key's lights dont work at all as they're soldered in well and correctly also they worked when tested in other locations and the caps lock led worked before i mapped it to be control instead ... either way here's the picture in all of its potato glory

Show Image

Solder on the LEDs the other way around for the bottom mods. If you look closely on the PCB, the polarity is facing a he other way (this is due to wkl support). Not too sure about your esc key, perhaps check polarity on that as well?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline phx

« Reply #1883 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:34:27 »

damn I have this issue too... seems like I will be resoldering my board.
on that note, anyone got spare mx switch covers?

Offline Dee1

« Reply #1884 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:38:40 »
I got my switches a while back but forgot to give my thanks to hwood and shadovved. So, thanks! :) I hope to use mine soon in a project or two. :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1885 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:51:53 »
Some have reported issues when Gateron switches are used with Cherry (GMK) caps. Has someone tested them with SP's DSA caps?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1886 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:35:00 »
Some have reported issues when Gateron switches are used with Cherry (GMK) caps. Has someone tested them with SP's DSA caps?

I have my Dolch DSA caps on my Gaterons.  It has the same problem.  If you press the key off-center, the cap will catch on the housing.  This only happens on the LED side. (south for most keyboards, but sometimes north)

Offline rand77

« Reply #1887 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:35:18 »

Yes briefly, I did not notice any severe issues with DSA keycaps.  This was with clears.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1888 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:00:15 »

I have my Dolch DSA caps on my Gaterons.  It has the same problem.  If you press the key off-center, the cap will catch on the housing.  This only happens on the LED side. (south for most keyboards, but sometimes north)

Is this a problem with all switches or just some of them? I wonder if it's better when you use a stock cherry or gateron clear top?

I was going to solder a bunch of these onto my new board...but now I'm a little worried.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #1889 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:23:29 »

Is this a problem with all switches or just some of them? I wonder if it's better when you use a stock cherry or gateron clear top?

I was going to solder a bunch of these onto my new board...but now I'm a little worried.

Now I'm worried!  I already soldered half of the keyboard that is waiting on the granite dsa keycaps to come in! Oh noooooo.  I hope someone with DSA keycaps can test this a little more.
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline evera

« Reply #1890 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:31:03 »
I'm using some think PBT and i dont have this issue

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #1891 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:56:17 »
Oh Boy...
I just got a letter from the customs office about a package listed as 'keyboard parts' from Singapore (so Im guessing Gaterons).

They claim it wasn't labeled correctly with a bill on the outside of the package and therefore took it hostage.
So in result I will have to pick it up there, and unbox it in front of their eyes within a deadline and then most likely
pay import taxes according to what they classify it as... xD

It's not too bad tho I guess and it had to happen one day. Just have to find time to go there within their business hours and the deadline.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1892 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 14:35:18 »
"Bill" as in bill of sale?  Strange.  The switches are pretty obviously keyboard parts, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Maybe bring a keycap to stick on just in case.  Tell them that the switches are sold in bulk for two cents each. :) 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1893 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 14:55:28 »
Oh Boy...
I just got a letter from the customs office about a package listed as 'keyboard parts' from Singapore (so Im guessing Gaterons).

They claim it wasn't labeled correctly with a bill on the outside of the package and therefore took it hostage.
So in result I will have to pick it up there, and unbox it in front of their eyes within a deadline and then most likely

It's not too bad tho I guess and it had to happen one day. Just have to find time to go there within their business hours and the deadline.

Someone's being paid off by Cherry...

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #1894 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:16:43 »
"Bill" as in bill of sale?  Strange.  The switches are pretty obviously keyboard parts, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Maybe bring a keycap to stick on just in case.  Tell them that the switches are sold in bulk for two cents each. :)

I guess 'bill' as in specifying the value on the outside of the box, but idk honestly.
It most likely wont be that bad, but bringing a keycap might actually be an idea. =)

They probably want me to open it to check for the value specified somewhere (bill/invoice) to figure if they need to charge taxes and how much, that's all.  :)

If they can't find the value specified somewhere they will most likely just google 'gateron switch' so Im already kinda looking forward to see the guy from the customs office browsing on GeekHack... xD

Oh Boy...

Someone's being paid off by Cherry...

Wait what? xD
I've never heard being paid & Cherry in the same sentence before, but sounds pretty sweet actually...  :p
(not for false advertising tho obviously)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #1895 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:21:41 »

I guess 'bill' as in specifying the value on the outside of the box, but idk honestly.
It most likely wont be that bad, but bringing a keycap might actually be an idea. =)

They probably want me to open it to check for the value specified somewhere (bill/invoice) to figure if they need to charge taxes and how much, that's all.  :)

If they can't find the value specified somewhere they will most likely just google 'gateron switch' so Im already kinda looking forward to see the guy from the customs office browsing on GeekHack... xD

Last time I had to go to the customs office was for the crap bag and I just had to shake the package to convince officer :p

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1896 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:23:28 »
I will report on Gateron switches with Granite DSA on my Nerd 60 when they arrived.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #1897 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 16:05:53 »

Last time I had to go to the customs office was for the crap bag and I just had to shake the package to convince officer :p

Oh wow, thx wlhlm!
I've never had to pick something up from customs office personally before tbh as it always just went through so thx for the experience!  :)

I'll report back next week once I've picked it up! =)
Still hoping he somehow ends up browsing geekhack tho...

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #1898 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 17:08:20 »
With imsto pbt is fine(gateron clear) but have same issue with gmk keycaps.(gateron brown)

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1899 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 17:31:44 »
It's not the keycaps, it's the switches.  If you examine the tops, and compare the two sides against a Cherry MX, the issue becomes clear.