Author Topic: Magicforce 68... and those keycaps acronyms  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Merranza

Magicforce 68... and those keycaps acronyms
« on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 08:18:06 »
After years using full size I'm really looking after a more compact layout.

I have a TKL on the way and I really want to try a 65% (I still want those arrow keys/delete and such).

Massdrop has a Magicforce 68 drop going on right now. With the price, I understand this is not an ultra top quality keyboard but is it still a good starter to get in 65% keyboards?

Also, I am quite confused with all those acronyms and terms when it comes to keycaps. DSA, PBT, ABS, doubleshot. Do you guys have a reference somewhere where I could understand what each term means and what is better? How come some keycaps kit cost about 30-40$ and some close to 200$?

Oh and for those who own one, I can't make up my mind between black, grey and silver cases (completely subjective I know but eh, I'd like to hear your opinion) :)

Thank you in advance :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 July 2018, 08:22:37 by Merranza »

Offline Tactile

Re: Magicforce 68... and those acronyms
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 08:32:11 »
PBT, ABS are the material the caps are made of.

DCS, SA, DSA, etc are the keycap profile.

Doubleshot is one method used to mould & label the (usually ABS) caps.

That drop is confusing because they have no photos of the keycap choices. Not how it should be done. The photos show the DSA cap set. That set is PBT material with Dye Sub marking - generally considered pretty high quality & long lasting. But keep in mind the DSA profile has all the caps the same height, as can be seen in the photos. Most cap sets are sculpted - home row caps lowest (or shortest) and taller caps as you move away from the home row. You may or not like DSA profile.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

Re: Magicforce 68... and those keycaps acronyms
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 08:42:25 »
...sorry, the dog interrupted me...

If I was going to buy that board, which looks to be a decent board, of the choices offered I'd order the caps in the photos - dye sub(limatied) PBT. It's the nicest cap set of the offered choices. If you want to change caps later there are lots of cap sets and places to buy them.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Merranza

Re: Magicforce 68... and those keycaps acronyms
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 July 2018, 21:15:20 »
Ah thank you very much for your advices.

I'm almost thinking of returning my TKL and go all out 65% :)

I got my mind set on Gateron Clears... now I have to pick between those three case colors :) Ah choices!