geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unicomp keyboards are underrated

<< < (3/3)

Touch_It:
I share a large office with 4 people.  I went from a topre clone to my Unicomp.  Said sorry, not sorry about the noise.  Buckling spring is so much fun.

mohawk1367:

--- Quote from: ClaireAbitbol on Mon, 12 February 2024, 16:40:58 ---I was considering getting a Unicomp for a while (still might), but the truth is it just doesn't have the versatility and customisability of MX boards, I wanted to get a Mini M in the old beige and grey color scheme but it seems you're limited to only a rather ugly light grey caps on a black case color scheme.
Also from what I've heard they have some quality issues, from when I was looking into them they seem to have fixed some but more recent reviews seemed to also have some issues with the build quality, I can't speak on that with certainty but that's definitely one thing that makes me hesitant.
Also the fact that you're limited to full size, TKL or battleship is another drawback, though if they come out with an unsaver model it'd be hard for me to resist.

--- End quote ---

i feel like the only reason i need customization on mx boards is because the switches themselves are so underwhelming lol

ander:

--- Quote from: ClaireAbitbol on Mon, 12 February 2024, 16:40:58 ---I was considering getting a Unicomp for a while (still might), but the truth is it just doesn't have the versatility and customisability of MX boards...
Also the fact that you're limited to full size, TKL or battleship is another drawback, though if they come out with an unsaver model it'd be hard for me to resist.

--- End quote ---

But dude, it's really apples 'n' oranges. Unicomp will never try to be a modern-style keeb maker... They're all about keeping the buckling-spring Model M tradition going. That's why a bunch of them, former workers at Lexmark's factory, banded together and bought the place rather than seeing it shuttered.

They took a big chance tooling up to make a TKL (the Unicomp "Mini"), considering how many fewer keyboards they must sell compared to IBM/Lexmark in their heyday. Philosophically, though, I think they felt justified, as IBM actually produced TKL M's.

A Unicomp M (or an original '80s/'90s M) isn't something most people get so they can customize it. It's more like a piece of history. Nothing feels or sounds like buckling springs, either. It's sort of its own animal.

Most of us have a bajillion keebs anyway, right? So why worry? I think everyone should buy at least one Unicomp, just to support those good guys in Kentucky. Then just accumulate all the other keebs you want too, and rotate through 'em... I think most peeps here will agree, that's the path to typing bliss. 😉

clay:
They lack in marketing as well as website interface design. I know there will be people defending and saying that you don't need a good website to get good products, but majority of normies out there care whether or not a manufacturer markets themselves attractively or not. If they just step up their marketing and improve the website, then a lot of people will be willing to try out buckling springs

funkmon:
I think you're right. Unfortunately, Unicomp doesn't see us as a huge marketshare. Supposedly they make the vast majority of their money from business orders and we're just kind of fun for them.

They don't trust that investing in a more modern website will lead to more sales.

That being said, the mechanical keyboard hobby, as it is today, leans HEAVILY on customization aesthetically, which is difficult to do in the ways people like it on the Models M.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version