Author Topic: Clears or custom "pink" MX switches.  (Read 3110 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Clears or custom "pink" MX switches.
« on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:00:33 »
I'm debating on my Sprit FaceW, do I use my 67g Clears or do I do the funky pink stems I got off of Taobao.  The only problem with the pink stems is that I only have 68g gold springs which are a little heavy for the stem since they're between a Clear and Brown.  I plan on building the board on Sunday, I just have no idea of which switch to use.

Offline cribbit

Re: Clears or custom "pink" MX switches.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 01:44:21 »
Switches are entirely personal preference. Make a few, see if you can replicate the feel of typing, see how you like it.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 02:15:04 »
Funky pink stems since it's pretty unique. And pink is a great color.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 02:53:29 »
Funky pink stems since it's pretty unique. And pink is a great color.

That is a good point. Find clear keycaps, use pink stems.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:42:27 »
Why are 68g springs too heavy for a pink stem?

Are they weak stems?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:01:54 »
Pink stems?  Aftermarket?

Only thing I would be concerned about is the plastic composition of the pink stems.  Hope they don't snap like the early gen cherry clones.

My vote is pink stems because...this is a custom, right.

P.S. I got that frosted case + plate, trans switch tops, white pcb, clear stems, and I'm ready to make a very frosty keyboard :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:01:47 »
Pink stems?  Aftermarket?

Only thing I would be concerned about is the plastic composition of the pink stems.  Hope they don't snap like the early gen cherry clones.

My vote is pink stems because...this is a custom, right.

P.S. I got that frosted case + plate, trans switch tops, white pcb, clear stems, and I'm ready to make a very frosty keyboard :)
China copied / cloned them. I don't know if they are POM or whatever cherry stems are.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 14:13:26 »
Pink stems on a pink GON with a Velntines set and Sifo's Soul BB?

The ultimate present for the gf? Or yourself?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 15:36:43 »
Why are 68g springs too heavy for a pink stem?

Are they weak stems?

They're kind of in between a Brown and a Clear and 68g covers up some of the tactility.  They're more tactile than Browns, but closer to Browns than Clears in tactility.

China copied / cloned them. I don't know if they are POM or whatever cherry stems are.

I believe they're POM.  I'm pretty sure the Taobao page stated that.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 20:56:04 »
I'm debating on my Sprit FaceW, do I use my 67g Clears or do I do the funky pink stems I got off of Taobao.  The only problem with the pink stems is that I only have 68g gold springs which are a little heavy for the stem since they're between a Clear and Brown.  I plan on building the board on Sunday, I just have no idea of which switch to use.

As an experiment I put 68g springs in browns. Yes it is less tactile, but I enjoyed the typing experience. I feels like a mix between a black and a brown (hard to describe really). I do not enjoy linear switches, but I liked this setup.

I think a 65g spring is probably going to be my sweet spot.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:10:48 »
Any chance you could PM me a link (or post here, doesn't make too much difference) to the pink stems? I'd really love to throw some in my GON build.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:14:22 »
These stems are in between clears and browns??
Interesting.... sounds like they might legitimately be nice even if they are knockoffs.
Browns feel like almost nothing, more like reds with a bit of dirt caught inside, and clears are a bit hard to press down.
I might pick these up if I have the spare change.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards