geekhack Community > Keyboards

Looking for full sized keyboard with no gap above arrows

(1/2) > >>

muidlos:
Hello!

I am looking for a mechanical keyboard with a specific layout, where there is no gap between the arrows and the keys above (PGUP, PGDN, DEL etc...). I know this is a very weird and specfic question, but I thought maybe someone knows a mechanical keyboard like that.

Here is a picture of what I mean:

One important thing to note is that it needs to have the numeric pad as well, so a full sized mechanical keyboard.

In case you're wondering why I need this, I've been playing FPS games for almost 2 decades with those keybinds and I'm just so used to it. But I would like to play on a mechanical keyboard. I just can't switch to WASD. I found several membrane keyboards with this layout, but couldn't find a mechanical one.

Thank you!

Morbii:
You may want to consider getting an ortholinear for a gaming pad. 

OctaneMike:
Where you able to find keyboards like this?? I have the same problem as you.

TomahawkLabs:
This would be the perfect way to learn how to handwire your own board. Go to KLE, paste the blow into the "raw" field and find a company to cut you a sandwich case. Find yourself a Microcontroller with 27+ GPIO and handwire it following any of the guides online. What you are describing would be so incredibly niche that you would only find that in a small run group buy or if someone like yourself designed a PCB and had extras. The plate/case would be 100% custom because it's non-standard which is why you wouldn't find any off the shelf PCBs/Cases.

["Esc",{x:1},"F1","F2","F3","F4",{x:0.5},"F5","F6","F7","F8",{x:0.5},"F9","F10","F11","F12",{x:0.25},"PrtSc","Scroll Lock","Pause\nBreak"],
[{y:0.5},"~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace",{x:0.25},"Insert","Home","PgUp",{x:0.25},"Num Lock","/","*","-"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\",{x:0.25},"Delete","End","PgDn",{x:0.25},"7\nHome","8\n↑","9\nPgUp",{h:2},"+"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter",{x:0.25,a:7},"","","",{x:0.25,a:4},"4\n←","5","6\n→"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift",{x:0.25,a:7},"",{a:4},"↑",{a:7},"",{x:0.25,a:4},"1\nEnd","2\n↓","3\nPgDn",{h:2},"Enter"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{x:0.25},"←","↓","→",{x:0.25,w:2},"0\nIns",".\nDel"]

TWX:
Just thinking about what I've worked with over a lifetime in IT, if you don't want to go full custom or rubberdome then you may end up having to source a point-of-sale keyboard:

Image gratuitously stolen from Reddit

and then work on remapping keystrokes in software.

Also for what it's worth, there are a lot of complaints about the layout that you're looking into, apparently the power key is so close to commonly used keys like bksp that a lot of people end up prompting to shutdown or else shutting down their computers when using it.

There were some terminal keyboards whose arrow keys are closer to the six-block, but this was achieved by moving-up the arrows, not moving-down the six-block, and the functions of the six-block are not the same.  They also lack most of the modifier keys, and sometimes even lack keys like Esc.  For what it's worth I've been tempted to make a WYSE-85 work as a PC keyboard but in reality the only real advantage in doing that would be the nifty-factor for having something never meant to be a PC keyboard drive a PC.  It would mostly just be a hassle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version