Author Topic: [IC] Pegasus - 40% "WKL" Keyboard  (Read 18711 times)

Offline MelonBred

[IC] Pegasus - 40% "WKL" Keyboard
« on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 19:57:00 »
Hello GH! This is an interest check for Pegasus.

IC Form: here

Pegasus is a 40% keyboard with a 12.75u "WKL" layout with 0.75u blockers. This keyboard was heavily inspired by the upper bezel/lower lip found on TX- series boards and ai03's reference designs.

Case Design
The switch plate (which is also the raised bezel) is an integrated half plate that is sandwiched between the top and bottom with poron foam strips for dampening. I went with this approach as I prefer to have stiffer modifiers for tap/hold functions, while still providing a soft, comfortable typing experience in the alphas.

The weight is laser engraved with Pegasus which is the namesake of the keyboard. Weight material will be either brass or polished stainless steel (TBD).

In total, Pegasus is made up of 4 parts to assemble the case: top, bottom, switch plate and weight.

Please note that the colors in this prototype will not be offered in the potential group buy. More on colors below.

Some notable specs of Pegasus:
- 6° typing angle.
- Effective key height of 24.2mm.
- Soldered PCB powered by an Atmega 32u4 with C3 Unified Daughterboard.
- Support for 6.25u space and 2u/2.25u split space.
- Optional rotary encoder support.
- Flex cut on the PCB between the 2nd and 3rd rows.
- QMK / Vial support.

Please see this reference document for additional information:

Supported Layouts

Typing Test

Color Offerings

The top colors offered for the upcoming group buy will be:
- E-White
- Indian Teal
- Grape
 - Red

All boards will have a black switch plate and bottom. Both brass and polished stainless steel weights will also be offered! Please see the following for the different configurations:

Please note that this render is only to give an idea of the colors offered. Prototypes have been ordered and we’ll provide photos once they arrive.

P3D Store will also be offering a cerakote option during the group buy! Colors and pricing are still to be determined, but this offers a great way to get very unique, custom color combinations to truly make this keyboard your own. Examples of P3D's cerakote quality can be seen here

Original IC info:
More
In an effort to keep a potential group buy as simple as possible, there will probably only be 3 colors offered. The switch plate and bottom are currently chosen to be either black or silver to be easily compatible with a wide range colorways provided by the vast amount of amazing keycap sets. The decision on the case top offerings will be based on a combination of weight material and most voted colors. Polished Stainless Steel weights would mean black bezel and bottom will be chosen; Brass could mean either black or silver bezel/bottom could be offered. Ultimately, only one color for the bezel/bottom will be chosen (black or silver). Please consider filling out the IC form and add any comments on colors!

When colors have been chosen, I'll provide much better renders to better illustrate the final product and then follow up with samples from the manufacturer.

Price and Availability
P3D Store will be the worldwide vendor!

Pricing for a base kit will be as follows:
$350 with US domestic shipping included.
All international orders will get a discounted DHL Express shipping rate to everyone can benefit from the base kit cost:
+$30 for Canada
+$40 for the rest of the world.

Base kit includes case, PCBs (mainboard and C3 Unified Daughterboard), JST cable, hardware and bumpons.
[/size]

IC Form: here

Please let me know if there are any questions on this project. I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability. Looking forward to any and all discussions!

Updates
[2/20/2022] The prototype shown in this post has since been updated with the following:
- Overall height has been decreased to what is shown now (effective key height = 24.2mm)
- Rubber bumpons have revised. Please see reference document for final bumpon footprint.

[3/2/2022] Update with vendor announcement, pricing and cerakote option.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116338.msg3113578#msg3113578

[3/7/2022] Color and weight options. Prototypes ordered.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116338.msg3114306#msg3114306

[3/14/2022] Updated OP with render of color and weight options. Please note that I did these renders myself while trying to learn KRK/Blender this past week. Still need to learn a lot about materials and lighting, but hopefully this gives a good idea of the different configurations. Once the prototypes are received, we will share photos. Super stoked to get them in hand!

[4/26/2022] Round 2 Protos received. Quality is great, but color matching for indian teal and grape need some work. More color samples have been ordered from the manu.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116338.msg3122509#msg3122509

[5/13/2022] Group buy details
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116338.msg3124847#msg3124847

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2022, 10:07:59 by MelonBred »

Offline white_rabbit

Re: [IC] Pegasus - 40% "WKL" Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 20:15:36 »
Been looking forward to this! Great work  :thumb:

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 22:39:47 »
The mount reminds me of the square x but half plate. I think that could improve what a lot of people didn’t like about that board being somewhat stiff.
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline fortaye

• 40's 40's 40's
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 22:41:55 »
Wow, so excited to try this mounting style, and on a premium 40, too.  Great work, MB

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 23:05:25 »
PegaSUS

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 00:13:50 »
Integrated half plate but also gasket mounted is such a genius idea

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 02:41:34 »
ne iso pls?

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 03:20:43 »
Where were you when 40%s saved the hobby?

So good!  :thumb:

Offline denibhoxha

• cock and balls technology
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 04:58:00 »
This is a certified 40s classic.

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 06:30:56 »
This is a very nice looking keyboard. I hope red-silver makes it as a colour choice, hard to pass up something that nice.

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 07:51:05 »
ne iso pls?
How would that even work? Where would backspace go? Or are you one of these people that make no mistakes?

To OP: This looks very cool! Unfortunately, I just don't have the mental capacity for 40s, I tried and failed miserably. Still wishing you good luck with this cool-looking board.
/Johannes

Offline qpockets

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 09:30:32 »
this is gorgeous, nice work MB!

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 09:52:52 »
ne iso pls?
How would that even work? Where would backspace go? Or are you one of these people that make no mistakes?

Picture credit: pwner

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 11:02:24 »
ne iso pls?

Unfortunately, iso will not be supported on this board. Equinox is 13u wide where this is 12.75u wide.

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 11:04:16 »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The form is getting really good feedback so far which I greatly appreciate. I've had comments about the color choices being a bit confusing on the form, and have tried to make the questions more clear.

Colors are certainly up for discussion though so if you have any comments or suggestions, please include them in the form. Thanks!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 12:09:02 »
Already filled out the IC form, but I've been wanting to get into 40% for a while and this looks very interesting.

Offline Juan.

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 12:16:20 »
I needed this.

Good keybot. Mm.
rubber cup   

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 12:24:56 »
Very interesting. I don't usually go for WKL because need those 3 keys on the left. But then I saw the split space layout... I like the right RE placement, do I never use right shift anyway? Oooo and that flex slot in the PCB. Also I dig the potential Polished Stainless Steel weight option.

Good luck!

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 20:04:20 »
Man this was going to be an insta buy until I saw that the prototype color would not be offered :(

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 20:31:12 »
Man this was going to be an insta buy until I saw that the prototype color would not be offered :(

ah I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the current color offerings in the IC might peak some interest. However, I am working on providing alternate color options as well!

Offline croatoanlp

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 10:44:31 »
Eu proxy would be appreciated

Offline mymeepo

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 12:28:46 »

Yes please :-)

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club

Offline castorph

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 10:22:26 »
Love the case design!
+1 for EU proxy

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 11:36:36 »
This....Does put a smile on my face.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline phatmasterq

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 18:25:47 »
love using your last kb, defs interested in this one too. look forwards to see its progress.

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 08:27:57 »
Update!

Happy to announce that P3D Store will be the worldwide vendor for this project!

Pricing for a base kit will be as follows:
$350 with US domestic shipping included.
All international orders will get a discounted DHL Express shipping rate to everyone can benefit from the base kit cost:
+$30 for Canada
+$40 for the rest of the world.

Weight Materials and Color Options

We are still collecting feedback, but so far brass weight is taking the lead. Colors are also still up in the air, but the current leaders are e-white, Indian teal, grape and red; all with black switchplate/bottom. Please consider filling out the IC form if you haven't already to put in your vote!

If you'd like a more unique and custom Pegasus, I'm happy to say that P3D will be offering in-house cerakoting during group buy at an additional cost. Color options and pricing is still to be determined but this allows for a ton of unique color combinations. We'll provide all of the final costs once we have them figured out.

Odds and Ends
- Prototype PCBs is expected to be delivered by the end of this week. QMK/Vial firmware has already been written so testing will happen as soon as the PCBs are delivered.
- Packaging design has started and will be testing fitment soon.
- Planning on ordering case prototypes early next week. Please consider filling out the IC form if you haven't already!
- Working on timeline for Group Buy, but we expect this to start in late Spring.

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 18:33:38 »

Love the case design!
+1 for EU proxy

Love the case design!
+1 for EU proxy

I really appreciate all of your interest! Unfortunately, we will only have one vendor for this coming group buy. With the custom packaging, cerakoting options and relatively small number of EU folks interested, it is not feasible. However, I think P3D Store was able to get DHL Express rates down quite a bit to help with the cost. Hope y'all will still participate in this group buy.

Offline Rpmorrison10

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 22:28:20 »
I’ve been excited for this board.

Offline marici22

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 22:35:44 »
Cute board but I could never get used to layers

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 01:37:35 »
If you'd like a more unique and custom Pegasus, I'm happy to say that P3D will be offering in-house cerakoting during group buy at an additional cost. Color options and pricing is still to be determined but this allows for a ton of unique color combinations. We'll provide all of the final costs once we have them figured out.

The hype for this board just intensified.
I am so excited that this will be an option!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 05:24:57 »
I dont think I would ever use it, but I think I would like it.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 13:29:31 »
Another quick update!

Based on the IC form responses, we will be going with the following:
- Black plate and bottom with top color choices of E-White, Indian Teal, Grape and Red.
- Both brass and polished stainless steal weights will be offered during group buy.

Thanks to everyone that had filled out the form!

Prototypes have been ordered to verify color matching and show what folks can buy into during group buy. We expect these prototypes to arrive in a few weeks, but I'll update the thread as news comes in.

Pricing for cerakote are still being worked on, but we hope to have a number by the end of this week.

Offline hairyapparatus

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 08:56:28 »
do u have a discord?

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 10:17:28 »
do u have a discord?

Most of the discussions happen in the 40% Discord server. Please feel free to join us here at this link!

https://discord.gg/TXzUUbkR

It should take you to the #ic-gb-announcements channel. Scroll up until you see Pegasus and click the big green "Join" button. This will give you access to the #pegasus channel.

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 10:22:11 »
i wish i could type on 40% so i could use melonbred boards

<3

GLWIC she's a beaut

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 11:40:32 »
i wish i could type on 40% so i could use melonbred boards

<3

GLWIC she's a beaut

Thanks, bub! I appreciate you. One of these days, I'll get you on a 40% xD

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 10:51:11 »
Another quick update!

Prototype PCBs have been received and verified that QMK and Vial are both working. I will be submitting a PR to QMK soon to get that ball rolling.

No updates on prototypes. Still in the process of being manufactured. However, I added a render of the colors that will be offered in group buy to the OP. Please note that I did that render myself while learning KRK/Blender this past week! We'll update with photos once the prototypes arrive.

Offline Gorg

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 11:09:42 »
Definetely would cop this one dope design

Offline EverPresent

• orange
    • Instagram
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 16:51:01 »
Love this! Definitely a pickup
orange and 40s.

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 00:14:03 »
Hey everyone! Round 2 prototypes came in, and the quality turned out really great.

The red also turned out really good. However, the indian teal and grape wine came out much darker than I was expecting. I have ordered a few more color samples from the manufacturer to try to get the colors closer to what was shown on the renders.

Link to the imgur album can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/fnWVA4Y

Once the color samples arrive, I'll report back here. This should be the last step before we're ready to roll for group buy. Hope y'all are as excited as I am! Let me know if you have any thoughts on these protos.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 05:55:30 »
I love this little board more every time I look at this thread.  Very interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 09:58:26 »
Group Buy details incoming!

Group Buy is going to run from May 21st through July 1st!

The product page is now live on P3D if you'd like to check out all the options and details.

https://p3dstore.com/products/pegasus-aluminum-case-and-pcb-group-buy

You can also signup for an email notification for the start of group buy at the bottom of the page.

I'll get to writing a proper GB thread here on geekhack this weekend. Thanks for all the interest that lead us to this coming group buy!

Offline genevatypes

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 20:25:29 »
Will indian teal be closer to proto 2 blue or to the ic blue? really interested in this color. thanks

Offline MelonBred

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 20:37:17 »
Will indian teal be closer to proto 2 blue or to the ic blue? really interested in this color. thanks

Hey, thanks for your question! We actually got the color sample for the Indian Teal and Grape earlier this week. Please refer to the GB thread that I forgot to link here in this IC:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117226.msg3125807#msg3125807