Author Topic: DIY front-printed legends?  (Read 13142 times)

Offline zombimuncha

DIY front-printed legends?
« on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:24:57 »
I think it'd be great to be able to add front legends to custom keycaps to indicate fn-layer combos and whatnot. There are a bunch of products out there that look like they'd do the job, from pre-printed dry-transfer sheets to wet-transfer stuff you can print in your laser or inkjet printer.
Has anybody tried them?
Are they any good?

Offline quake4mhg

Re: DIY front-printed legends?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 04:16:46 »
I use dry-transfer sheet. I scratch it on a transparent scotch tape (when it doesn't stick sometimes), then stick the tape on the front of the keycap.
They last pretty long, cos you won't hit the front of the keycap very often.
They worn out when I change keycap, take it out cleaning the kb or something.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 04:26:04 by quake4mhg »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 05:43:44 »
I use dry-transfer sheet. I scratch it on a transparent scotch tape (when it doesn't stick sometimes), then stick the tape on the front of the keycap.
They last pretty long, cos you won't hit the front of the keycap very often.
They worn out when I change keycap, take it out cleaning the kb or something.

Thanks for replying. Are you saying you leave sticky tape on the front of your keycaps to protect the lettering?

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 03:23:34 »
brother P touch labels are pretty good. Granted, they will 'shine', since you are sticking a plastic label on the keycap rather than doing any 'transfer printing'.

Alternatively you can use crayola fabric markers which make nice legends (albeit handwritten!)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 04:53:47 »
Sorry forget give you link to the post with my pictures.

In deskthority post, they're all dry-transfer sheet WASD
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/grippy-keycap-with-sugru-t3686.html?hilit=sugru
And here too

The top right "S & D" on a blue keycap, they're vinyl stickers.

It's the best if you can find the right size & color. They're pretty hard to find these days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 05:01:32 by quake4mhg »

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 06:00:48 »
Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I did the other way around. The reason I scratch the letter on a scotch tape then stick on the keycap, cos sometimes the letter dried out, doesn't stick on the pbt rough texture or abs glossy surface.

You still can the tape if look closer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 22:39:08 by quake4mhg »

Offline Asininity

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 12:37:47 »
Using vinyl seems like a good alternative if you have access to a vinyl cutter. You make your own designs, pick from almost any color you can buy, and re-apply and change when needed without much hassle and no permanent damage to the key cap!

I might have to try this with one of my 60%.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 05:50:56 »
Your results look great quake4mhg!
Think I'll give some of these a try once my GMK-Triumph Adler set arrives
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/category/Decal-Paper

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 19:19:23 »
Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I did the other way around. The reason I scratch the letter on a scotch tape then stick on the keycap, cos sometimes the letter dried out, doesn't stick on the pbt rough texture or abs glossy surface.
Show Image

What is growing on your keys!   :eek:

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 22:29:18 »
Show Image

What is growing on your keys!   :eek:
sugru with hand made texture, imagine like kontrol freeks on game controller, more grip and comfort :D

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 10:30:15 »
Sounds great!

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 16:22:06 »
Using vinyl seems like a good alternative if you have access to a vinyl cutter. You make your own designs, pick from almost any color you can buy, and re-apply and change when needed without much hassle and no permanent damage to the key cap!

I might have to try this with one of my 60%.
Sounds great!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 05:17:37 »
Think I'll give some of these a try once my GMK-Triumph Adler set arrives
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/category/Decal-Paper
So I got the Dry Rub (sounds like barbecue!) transfer paper and the Water Slide transfer paper and had a go.
The dry rub turned out to be a bust, because there are so many layers and backings that you need to peel off each decal, and it's REALLY hard to do with something as small as a keycap legend.
The water slide transfers are working pretty well tho. I'm still experimenting with font sizes and positioning and whatnot, but I'll post some photos once I've got it done to my liking.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 13:54:32 »
Here's the story so far...
Basically I think it looks great. I'm still faffing about with font weights and positioning. Obviously the PSc/SRq is too wide / too bold, and if I change the font there I'll need to change it for everything else too. Currently using Helvetica Rounded, which apparently only exists in Bold. I guess I'll need to get the font more like on the text mods instead of the alphas, which is a bit lighter but still rounded. It's hard to find the right font!

I kinda almost like the double line look shown here on Pause/Break, but I'm probably going to go with Pus/Brk or Ps/Bk anyway.

I'm also in two minds about the alignment on F-Row. Originally I liked the left-aligned, but now I'm leaning more towards centered. I'll probably change my mind a couple more times after "narrowing" the font.

The front legends on the mods are going to be more difficult if not impossible. You need to either have your printer print the exact colour of the legend, and normal printers don't do white, or use white transfer paper and cut out exactly around each letter - not gonna happen!

Here are some pics. Tell me what you think. Especially regarding the font choice and the alignment!

111608-0
111610-1
111612-2
111614-3
111616-4
111618-5

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 22:36:52 »
TIL, water slide transfer works beautifully, Thanks for the update :)

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 20:47:59 »
Here's the story so far...
Basically I think it looks great. I'm still faffing about with font weights and positioning. Obviously the PSc/SRq is too wide / too bold, and if I change the font there I'll need to change it for everything else too. Currently using Helvetica Rounded, which apparently only exists in Bold. I guess I'll need to get the font more like on the text mods instead of the alphas, which is a bit lighter but still rounded. It's hard to find the right font!

I kinda almost like the double line look shown here on Pause/Break, but I'm probably going to go with Pus/Brk or Ps/Bk anyway.

I'm also in two minds about the alignment on F-Row. Originally I liked the left-aligned, but now I'm leaning more towards centered. I'll probably change my mind a couple more times after "narrowing" the font.

The front legends on the mods are going to be more difficult if not impossible. You need to either have your printer print the exact colour of the legend, and normal printers don't do white, or use white transfer paper and cut out exactly around each letter - not gonna happen!

Here are some pics. Tell me what you think. Especially regarding the font choice and the alignment!

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
This looks great! I might want to try that with Matias blank PBT caps in the future. Where did you get the water transfer paper? Did you buy water transfer paper and print the letters yourself?
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 22:49:48 »
This looks great! I might want to try that with Matias blank PBT caps in the future. Where did you get the water transfer paper? Did you buy water transfer paper and print the letters yourself?

Thanks! I got the transfer paper from the UK-based link I posted further up this thread. Yes, you can print whatever you like on it as long as it's not white.

Still looking for feedback on the positioning and font choice.
Does anybody think:
Pause
Break
...is a good idea instead of Pus/Bk ? Does it look cluttered?

Thx

edit: font sorted:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35765.msg746490#msg746490
thanks morcles and IvanIvanovich!

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 02:49:21 by zombimuncha »

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:04:16 »
I like your stack top & bottom
Pause
Break

If Pus/Bk my brain needs time to think.. what is Bk? ... I like glance and spam :D

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:52:03 »

Thanks! I got the transfer paper from the UK-based link I posted further up this thread. Yes, you can print whatever you like on it as long as it's not white.

Still looking for feedback on the positioning and font choice.
Does anybody think:
Pause
Break
...is a good idea instead of Pus/Bk ? Does it look cluttered?

Thx

edit: font sorted:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35765.msg746490#msg746490
thanks morcles and IvanIvanovich!

How durable are the legends made by water-slide transfer paper? Also, can they be removed if I screw up?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 00:58:45 »
How durable are they? I dunno, I wouldn't use them as top legends for fear of them being damaged, and also the this film would probably feel pretty crap. For front legends the durability doesn't really matter much.
If you dunk them in water for a sec you can slide them off with a fingernail.
I suggest printing multiples of each legend. The positioning is really fiddly. For sure the one time you get it positioned exactly right that's when the edge of the transfer will get folded under itself or scrunched up and look terrible ;-)
Luckily it only takes a minute or two per key.