Author Topic: [GB]Revo RJ kit hhkb layout custom(waiting to ship out)  (Read 259414 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: [GB]Revo RJ kit hhkb layout custom(waiting to ship out)
« Reply #850 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 11:15:35 »
Got my board, too.  :thumb:  Thanks, Raymond.
Guess you'll need those pink switches now...

But they're tactile. :'(

Offline poq

« Reply #851 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 13:16:23 »

If it's any consolation, I ordered through Raymond and I'm yet to receive mine (even though AU is much closer to CN than the US...) ;D  I'll just look at it positively and say it's letting me build more hype.

Well,Yours is in the warehouse and they left it there till today and i think they will ship it tomorrow and i will have tracking for you tomorrow.This is upsetting,but something like this could happen...Sorry...

It's no problem, really. I don't need it to live, and not having it means I can't spend time building it when I shouldn't be. Of all the things that could've gone wrong, having to wait a few days longer really isn't a problem  ;D

Offline AlexG

« Reply #852 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 13:39:08 »
Mine came today! Looks amazing, can't wait to start building it. Just having trouble deciding on which plate I should use. https://imgur.com/a/esfe2
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 13:44:48 by AlexG »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #853 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:47:26 »
Mine came today! Looks amazing, can't wait to start building it. Just having trouble deciding on which plate I should use. https://imgur.com/a/esfe2

Bootiiful! Even though I bought a brass plate for this build, that pcb looks amazeballs with the pc plate...

Offline AlexG

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:57:10 »

Bootiiful! Even though I bought a brass plate for this build, that pcb looks amazeballs with the pc plate...

I bought a brass plate as well. It'll be here Saturday. Is there a big difference in terms of feel? I'm really tempted to just use the silver plate with the nice ano on it. Plus if I wanted to swap to the brass I could just pair it with a zeal pcb and some different switches.

Offline seblove

« Reply #855 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:42:26 »

I bought a brass plate as well. It'll be here Saturday. Is there a big difference in terms of feel? I'm really tempted to just use the silver plate with the nice ano on it. Plus if I wanted to swap to the brass I could just pair it with a zeal pcb and some different switches.

Where'd you guys get your plates from? Would love me some brass for this build.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #856 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:48:18 »
Where'd you guys get your plates from? Would love me some brass for this build.

Got mine here.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #857 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:56:06 »

I'm actually not quite sure myself as this will be my first time using a brass plate.

Offline AlexG

« Reply #858 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 19:56:02 »
A little curious if different plates will have any effect at all on how this particular kit feels. I think the difference will be very minute due to the tray mounting.

Offline seblove

« Reply #859 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 20:18:56 »
A little curious if different plates will have any effect at all on how this particular kit feels. I think the difference will be very minute due to the tray mounting.

You're probably right, but the difference in flex between alu and brass is substantial and enough to convince me that it'll make some difference in feel even with the tray mount. I'll probably build both and report in!

Offline AlexG

« Reply #860 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 20:26:10 »

You're probably right, but the difference in flex between alu and brass is substantial and enough to convince me that it'll make some difference in feel even with the tray mount. I'll probably build both and report in!

More flex with brass I'm guessing? This will be my first brass plate.

Offline seblove

« Reply #861 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 20:50:42 »

More flex with brass I'm guessing? This will be my first brass plate.

Noo the opposite! You can bend the alu plate with your hands (without the pcb attached) whereas my brass plate from TX is insanely stiff and has almost 0 give.

Offline RevoTeam

• * Maker
« Reply #862 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 23:41:55 »
If you can't decide which plate to use. You should put switches and everything on it and try it out. Just don't need to solder it up. Use the one you love the most and solder it up.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #863 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 00:54:50 »
If you can't decide which plate to use. You should put switches and everything on it and try it out. Just don't need to solder it up. Use the one you love the most and solder it up.

I shall take this mans great advice  :thumb:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #864 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 01:01:04 »
Brass + Linears = Love

Offline RevoTeam

• * Maker
« Reply #865 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 01:56:10 »
Brass + Linears = Love
I have tried Brass+linear on my keycult no.1 and it's great. I have decide to use brass plate for my kit since.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #866 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 02:28:05 »
Brass + Linears = Love
I have tried Brass+linear on my keycult no.1 and it's great. I have decide to use brass plate for my kit since.

Damn...Is Brass + Tactile just as cool?

Offline RevoTeam

• * Maker
« Reply #867 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 03:20:19 »

They are really mine taste... I don't know. Brass is more firm?stiff?  The feedback is great. Let i said,try it before solder it.

Also, the tactile on PC is great. I will upload something on Youtube to show you. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #868 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 10:58:44 »
Brass + Linears = Love

I used brass with tactile (Mod-M with Zealios stem) for my TX-CP and it's as awesome as my TX-1800 and the TINA-C which are brass with linears. For the RJ I also used linears.

178815-0
178817-1
178819-2
178823-3

BRASS is life!  ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 September 2017, 11:02:25 by DreLLin »

Offline WhateverZYX

« Reply #869 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 11:58:18 »
For anyone who wants to do split backspace with the board: the included aluminium backplate lets the two keys stand a little higher than all the other keys on that row, making the keycap hit the side of the case while typing.

If you want to do split backspace I suggest getting another backplate. I don't know if the same applies to the plastic backplate.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #870 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 12:52:07 »
For anyone who wants to do split backspace with the board: the included aluminium backplate lets the two keys stand a little higher than all the other keys on that row, making the keycap hit the side of the case while typing.

If you want to do split backspace I suggest getting another backplate. I don't know if the same applies to the plastic backplate.

are you positive you have them seated in the correct spot.

Offline avid

« Reply #871 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:02:52 »
Brass + Linears = Love

I used brass with tactile (Mod-M with Zealios stem) for my TX-CP and it's as awesome as my TX-1800 and the TINA-C which are brass with linears. For the RJ I also used linears.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

BRASS is life!  ;D

Damn, the brass plates are so beautiful. Especially tx1800.

Offline WhateverZYX

« Reply #872 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:30:08 »
178837-0

As you can see, the spots for split backspace are further up than those for the normal backspace. Additionally, because it is just a little bit higher up it doesn't align with the holes anymore, resulting in a tilted switch. Those factors together contributed to the keycaps hitting the side case. If you were to hold it down while soldering you might be able to avoid the tilting but it's flimsy nonetheless.

Offline slushi

« Reply #873 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:30:16 »

are you positive you have them seated in the correct spot.
Ah so that's the issue. I noticed this too and was sure mine were seated all the way in. I swapped to the polycarb plate and it was fine.

Here is a reference of what I saw when I was using the aluminum plate:

Note: I am using the b.face PCB and not Revo's.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:35:57 by slushi »

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #874 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:36:01 »
Anyone have a good source for non brass plates?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #875 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:38:28 »
ahh gotchya, yeah looks like that plate should be used for traditional backspaces, i am sure you could make them stay down as you said, holding the switch in place as you solder.

Good thing plates are inexpensive and it has a universal mount

Offline slushi

« Reply #876 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 13:42:26 »
Yeah, thats true. I may buy a brass plate to try out. I found one on 1upkeyboards, but anyone else have a suggestion? I am in NA

HHKB Pro 2

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #877 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 15:22:44 »
I imagine that a relatively small amount of Dremel work should correct that split backspace issue, yeah? I haven’t fully decided which plate to use yet, however. Thanks for posting that, though. Saves some of us from encountering that!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #878 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 17:16:25 »
I imagine that a relatively small amount of Dremel work should correct that split backspace issue, yeah? I haven’t fully decided which plate to use yet, however. Thanks for posting that, though. Saves some of us from encountering that!

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm going to use aluminum plate or not, but a few passes even with a hand file should fix that quirk right up.

Offline poq

« Reply #879 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 17:25:10 »

Does the PC plate have the same issue?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #880 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 17:36:08 »

someone higher up said that it does not
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline slushi

« Reply #881 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 17:37:52 »

I changed to the PC plate as mentioned above and everything seems to line up perfectly.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline ambalek

• Pizza tonight/Threat neutralized
« Reply #882 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:13:31 »
I just finished a build with a Zeal 60, MX Silver switches, and GMK Ocean Dolch. I ran into the split backspace issue, but my caps don't quite hit the case so I might leave it. Those two switches sit slightly proud, but it's not too bad.

Offline slushi

« Reply #883 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:24:55 »
Looks awesome. I wish I had a Zeal60 PCB. My split backspace issue didn't hit the case either but it really bothered my OCD-like personality so I went with the polycarb plate.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #884 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:25:19 »
I just finished a build with a Zeal 60, MX Silver switches, and GMK Ocean Dolch. I ran into the split backspace issue, but my caps don't quite hit the case so I might leave it. Those two switches sit slightly proud, but it's not too bad.

Stunning build man!

Shouldn't have missed out on this, but was already in for multiple X60s xD

Is split backspace issue a thing on the Zeal 60? Or is it related to the plate?

Offline slushi

« Reply #885 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:26:06 »

Stunning build man!

It seems to be the alu plate from my experience as well as two others.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #886 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:28:28 »

Stunning build man!

It seems to be the alu plate from my experience as well as two others.

Thx for clearing that up man!

I have two Zeal 60 to be build next, so this had me a bit scared.
Glad it's not the pcb

Offline ambalek

« Reply #887 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:28:37 »

Stunning build man!

The alu plate is slightly off if you use split backspace, so \ and ~ are about 1 or 2 mm out of position. I could desolder and use regular backspace, but my OCD isn't too extreme (for a GH user anyway). It also came with a polycarb plate which is fine, but I like the silver one!

Offline slushi

« Reply #888 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:29:45 »
PS, @FoC_Tow, sell me one of your X60's :)

HHKB Pro 2

Offline ambalek

« Reply #889 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:31:19 »
Glad it's not the pcb

Make sure you read about the pads that have to be bridged on the Zeal PCB. I didn't really pay attention to it until I came to build it. The docs are here: https://zealpc.net/blogs/news/programming-your-zeal60-rgb-pcb

I found it easy to solder the right jumper pads, but it was a surprise when I saw them on the PCB.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 19:39:21 »
PS, @FoC_Tow, sell me one of your X60's :)

Uhhhh xD
One of them is for my gf so I would get in big trouble selling it...
If you trade me a VE.A I might consider it anyway tho xD

Glad it's not the pcb

Make sure you read about the pads that have to be bridged on the Zeal PCB. I didn't really pay attention to it until I came to build it. The docs are here: https://zealpc.net/blogs/news/programming-your-zeal60-rgb-pcb

I found it easy to solder the right jumper pads, but it was a surprise when I saw them on the PCB.

Thx man, appreciate it!

I've kinda heard about this, but haven't really paid much attention either, so I'm glad you pointed this out <3

Offline AlexG

« Reply #891 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 00:22:23 »
What do I use to program this? Also what are the default shortcuts used to change backlighting?

Offline slushi

« Reply #892 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 00:37:39 »
What do I use to program this? Also what are the default shortcuts used to change backlighting?
I believe since it is a b.fake, you can use the winkeyless.kr keymapper. I'm on mobile right now so I can't get you a direct link. Sorry.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline AlexG

« Reply #893 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 00:38:45 »
I believe since it is a b.fake, you can use the winkeyless.kr keymapper. I'm on mobile right now so I can't get you a direct link. Sorry.

That's what I thought. Can't get any of the default FN layer to activate the LEDS underneath.

Offline AlexG

« Reply #894 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 01:13:16 »
My workaround the split space issue was just to avoid it. Figured I'll do a second PCB / plate later on with different switches. Love the kit though, sounds great as well.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #895 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 02:35:57 »
Loving all these builds! I kind of wish I had a zeal60 now x__x

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #896 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 08:34:03 »
Raymond will probably freak out when he sees this split backspace thing  :))
I guess I won't be using the plate for another HHKB layout build.

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #897 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 08:37:41 »
My problem is that I only use HHKB split backspace keyboards... can you switch easily from one keyboard with it to one that does not??? I am getting rid out of my regular kbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #898 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 08:59:27 »
My problem is that I only use HHKB split backspace keyboards... can you switch easily from one keyboard with it to one that does not??? I am getting rid out of my regular kbs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regularly use my macbook in school and my gaming keyboard is still the Ducky S2. So I'm already used to switching.
I still prefer the lower backspace tho.

Offline AlexG

« Reply #899 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 09:09:26 »
Anyone know the keys to control the backlighting?