Author Topic: [IC] GMK Finer Things - Group Buy Feb 1  (Read 70491 times)

Offline Abec13

[IC] GMK Finer Things - Group Buy Feb 1
« on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:16:34 »
GMK FINER THINGS

Group Buy Page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104440

VENDORS

US: Cannon Keys
EU: CandyKeys
Asia: iLumKB
Oceania: Daily Clack
CA: Deskhero

ABOUT

GMK Finer Things is a cap set based on a signature colorway well known in the world of luxury and frivolous spending.
This set is meant to be simple and bold, a combination that is easy to achieve, hard to master.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Colored Pantone has been adjusted and the renders as well to reflect that change.
40's related spacebars have been moved to the spacebars kit
Deskmat has been added
Added RAMA artisan cap
Booked collaboration with CYSM for Boos and Keybys
Candy Keys will be offering custom cables for this buy available worldwide.

Group Buy Date has been set for February 1 with Cannon Keys, Candykeys, iLumKB, and Daily Clack.

Due to lower levels of interest in this set, kits have been consolidated to help everything get made. The base kit now includes basic 40s (besides spacebars), ISO, and Numpad compatibility.

Interest Check Google Form

KITS

BASE KIT - $135 USD

NOVELTIES - $42 USD

SPACEBARS - $30 USD

BOARD RENDERS

IRON 165

More

SATISFACTION

More

THE AVE.

More

CHIMERA

More

45-ATS

More

VOLCANO

More

THINK

More

CYPHER

More

REKT

More

FULL RENDER GALLERY

DESKMAT - $17 USD

RAMA - $42 USD

More

Interest Check Google Form

TO DO LIST

Gauge community interest and feedback on current kit proposals.
Follow through in less than a year.
Find vendors and proxies.

Line up Artisians.
More renders.
Build hype.

SHOUTOUTS AND MENTIONS

OneCreativeMind for his fantastic artwork for this set.
Nathanalphaman and HazzyHuncho for their feedback and support.
Minterly for making me a template for Geekhack because I'm incompetent with this site.

Please consider supporting this set by sporting the banner below!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102802.0][img width=280 height=120]https://imgur.com/xrJ6Z1e.png[/img][/url]

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Timeline
Interest Check Created
Color adjusted, Deskmat added, RAMA cap added, Renders adjusted to reflect changes.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2020, 16:21:14 by Abec13 »
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] GMK Finer Things
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:21:43 »
Oh now this is nice, love the novelties :-*

May I ask that UK ISO support be added for numpad & iso kit? Just a few extra keys for the people that do use them

And for suggestions, possibly a white mod kit? I think it'd go really well with the teal alphas

Other than that, looks like a really nice set
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:31:42 by Agilr »

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:32:11 »
Actually quite like the colorway here, but I'd to see some more masculine novelties standing out more. Maybe a bike instead of a vespa, or a yacht as an example. I think the ring and lady glasses are bang on and I'm guessing the colorway a a whole is a nod to Tiffany?

Either way, looking great. Going to be hard not to cop!

Offline Pengu1S1K

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:35:45 »
very nice font

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:43:10 »
super cool.....

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:44:16 »
If you don't use these keycaps with Tealios you're doing it wrong.

Offline mfmunh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 00:57:39 »
err I'm a sucker for Tiffany Blue. might have to get Tealios to match this set too  :D

Offline toake_01

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 01:46:47 »
Definitely interested! More white accented mods would be nice though!

Tapatalk を使用して私の CLT-L29 から送信

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 01:50:03 »
Happy to see you dab into your own gmk set finally!

I think this contrast will be too rough for my eyes personally, I even thought that way about shoko accents. Nonetheless, good luck!

Offline octix

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 06:41:16 »
Wow, this is amazing.

Discord: octix#0478

Offline iaman

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 07:05:46 »
Huh, not sure how I feel about the legends being white; the inspiration for this set uses white as an accent color and black for text to ensure readability, but doubleshot molding with black text is going to ruin the delicacy of that balance due to the typeface’s properties. This seems like a case for dye-sub, to me, but best of luck running this!

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 08:59:30 »
What are the color codes?
Mains: Bakers 6T (silver)   |   Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, thick)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 10:27:31 »
Set is lovely but I really dislike text mods. If that is not set in stone and/or you could make a cherry icons kit akin to Space Cadet that'd be great.

Offline ogWalker

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 10:40:44 »
big fan of the tiffany teal. good work!  :thumb:

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 11:10:12 »
I kinda wish the mods were white BG with teal legends though. Gives it some contrast.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 11:10:39 »
Hey on the topic of frivolous spending...

Ne colevrak avail?

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:14:32 »
Not really happy with the continued trend of splitting off numpads, especially not with lumping ISO compat in with them, particularly because there's not really a strong correlation of significant savings from cutting the numpad vs the significant overall increase from the numpad cost. Not gonna make a fuss out of it since I'm not committed to the set as of right now, but still making my thoughts known since it's one of the downsides I noted while considering it.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:17:49 »
Love the colors, like the low contrast for what ever that's worth.

Base kit 110 or less for USA if you pull the numpad.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:52:04 »

The only set to do that so far(that I have data on, correct me if I'm wrong) has been 9009; It used stock colors, had what I'd call almost bare minimum compatability for the base, and was priced "at high MOQ" which I take to mean 500 instead of 150/250. Meanwhile look at stuff like Camping and Crimson Cadet which were both able to hit $115 *with* a numpad but custom colors. Separating out numpad is just increasing the overall cost of the set due to GMK's production having a per-kit baseline cost added on, and hitting under $110 is going to be difficult unless you keep a super slim kit and price for high MOQ which may not be preferable to slightly higher cost but better support.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:03:19 »

The only set to do that so far(that I have data on, correct me if I'm wrong) has been 9009; It used stock colors, had what I'd call almost bare minimum compatability for the base, and was priced "at high MOQ" which I take to mean 500 instead of 150/250. Meanwhile look at stuff like Camping and Crimson Cadet which were both able to hit $115 *with* a numpad but custom colors. Separating out numpad is just increasing the overall cost of the set due to GMK's production having a per-kit baseline cost added on, and hitting under $110 is going to be difficult unless you keep a super slim kit and price for high MOQ which may not be preferable to slightly higher cost but better support.
Yeah the vendors gotta make some buck, hobby is only growing!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [IC] GMK Finer Thingstheir decision.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:16:39 »
All that kept the base kit to under 110 had high MOQ, striker Jamon minimal 9009. Cafe and phosphorus put novelties in the base, ok fine. Firefly has the base price at 120$. Eclipse never made the higher price drops.

Novelkeys prices off of 500 MOQ. Isn’t just them though, I bought sandstorm for Switchmod day 1 for 122$, and voyage (custom colors) from someone (cannonkeys?) for 123. So everyone can price the sets under 125 with the numpad.

Ultimately, some designers would rather save 2/3 of the buyers 5-8$ and charge +25 to the numpad users on a regular base (minimal was ~140 to me) which is their decision. It’s then on me to: 1) not buy those sets 2) buy numpads on mechmarket if they interest me (I often use 2 just because of work so I’ll grab an extra) 3) find an ISO friend who wants just those caps so I can keep my numbers

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:20:12 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:21:35 »
Love the color, but I can't even see the legends on the renders haha. Maybe it's just my ****ty work monitor, I'll peep it when I get home

Offline poolside

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 16:42:23 »
Cool novelties! Not fond of the Vespa, but I love the one with the big door key.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 17:11:19 »
Huh, not sure how I feel about the legends being white; the inspiration for this set uses white as an accent color and black for text to ensure readability, but doubleshot molding with black text is going to ruin the delicacy of that balance due to the typeface’s properties. This seems like a case for dye-sub, to me, but best of luck running this!

I hear you and I've explored that route too! https://imgur.com/lM4i9uZ
I felt that since the black would be present everywhere it really cut up the teal a lot for me. The Iron render here is my favorite as the blue its on top of the white uninterrupted by harsh contrast. As of right now black legending doesn't lie in interest of this set, if it does will def consider PBT as previously before going with this blue I was doing a black on mint that was going to be epbt. Thanks for your input.

Set is lovely but I really dislike text mods. If that is not set in stone and/or you could make a cherry icons kit akin to Space Cadet that'd be great.

Should this set draw the interest of an Oblotsky set with custom mods, I'd consider it if the demand is there! Please consider adding that in the google forum if you have not already.

Actually quite like the colorway here, but I'd to see some more masculine novelties standing out more. Maybe a bike instead of a vespa, or a yacht as an example. I think the ring and lady glasses are bang on and I'm guessing the colorway a a whole is a nod to Tiffany?

Either way, looking great. Going to be hard not to cop!

The vespa is actually the first novelty of this set and is my favorite D:
There are a few novelties here that I am discussing with potential vendors and they fear some intellectual property infringements may be drawn from that so I will keep in mind to move towards something that is at least more androgynous. It will be hard though haha.

All I can say for now is the white is WS2.

All that kept the base kit to under 110 had high MOQ, striker Jamon minimal 9009. Cafe and phosphorus put novelties in the base, ok fine. Firefly has the base price at 120$. Eclipse never made the higher price drops.

Novelkeys prices off of 500 MOQ. Isn’t just them though, I bought sandstorm for Switchmod day 1 for 122$, and voyage (custom colors) from someone (cannonkeys?) for 123. So everyone can price the sets under 125 with the numpad.

Ultimately, some designers would rather save 2/3 of the buyers 5-8$ and charge +25 to the numpad users on a regular base (minimal was ~140 to me) which is their decision. It’s then on me to: 1) not buy those sets 2) buy numpads on mechmarket if they interest me (I often use 2 just because of work so I’ll grab an extra) 3) find an ISO friend who wants just those caps so I can keep my numbers

That's the goal here. Being a 40s user, I am always pulling the short straw on sets when I need to buy a 40s kit on top of the numpad, ISO, base, etc. I accept this, we are the minority. Seek to please the masses. Just, sometimes numpad users are not he masses. And neither are the ISO users.

Makes me this scene in Peaky Blinders when the women come to the boss and ask to be paid as much as the men and he responds by cutting the men's pay half of the difference, and raising the women's pay half of the difference ultimately solving the problem but now the men are mad they aren't making as much. /rambling.

Apples and oranges my friend. These sets are known behemoths made by some of our well known designers: drawing sales numbers from thin air due to name, marketing, and being synonymous to sets that are already wildly popular. Also, Minimal has pulled off what you speak of as well. I think a set more closely related to this topic would be something like GMK Peaches and Cream by Rensuya offering ISO and numpad at $135 end result. Worry not though, I appreciate your input here with the numbers and knowledge. Also know that it is always in best interest of vendors to minimize the amount of kits for any set as to not be stuck bailing water at months' end. That too weighs in here.
[/url]

Offline Abec13

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 17:34:29 »
Love the color, but I can't even see the legends on the renders haha. Maybe it's just my ****ty work monitor, I'll peep it when I get home

This is what I imagine things will turn out like (Modern Dolch Blue Accent): https://imgur.com/a/I8qJaXu

Bright, I know, but that's what I like about it :)
[/url]

Offline Owl

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 20:39:11 »
Novelties seem very tacky for something that is supposed to exude luxury imo. Colors are cool though.

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 21:29:48 »
Tiffany on The Ave...? Too good!

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 21:52:55 »
This looks soooooo good on white boards nice design.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 22:01:02 »
Blue keyset + a scooter. I'm in.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 22:27:01 »
I am a fan, following!

Offline bd_slade

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 23:05:05 »
Love the colours! I'm fairly new to the keycaps thing, and recently got a white Niz Plum87 that I plan to replace the keycaps of eventually. How would you say the white would match up with the Plum? Looks like it's probably a cooler white. You mentioned WS2, but I'm not familiar enough to know how that jives with a the white the Plum87 uses (the Plum87 definitely looks like a cooler white to me). Thanks to anyone who might have some insight! Following this IC with great interest!

Offline krisst

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:38:56 »
I would like to suggest naming this GMK Affluent

Offline DJSwayde

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 10:11:54 »

All I can say for now is the white is WS2.

What? Is the teal going to be a new color or not?
Mains: Bakers 6T (silver)   |   Bakers CL64 (silver)   |   CannonKeys Bakeneko60 (black)   |   Carolina Mech Palmetto (black)   |   LZ CLS h (silver)   |   Monokei Kei R1 (standard red, HHKB)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 1 (PD-KB300BN)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (PD-KB400B)   |   PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (PD-KB400WS)   |   SINGAKBD x TGR Unikorn R1 (black)   |   Weaston GSKT-00 R1 (gray [re-anodized silver, HHKB])   |   Weaston GSKT-00-Z (silver, AEK HHKB)

Alps: Apple Extended Keyboard II (M3501, Taiwanese)   |   Apple Standard Keyboard (M0116, US)   |   Dell AT101 (GYI3PVAT101, US)    |   IBM Multistation 5556-001 (Chinese)   |   IBM P70 (ANSI-US, thick)   |   MET Micro Officer 6000 (R315-00)   |   SGI AT-101 "Beige"   |   Zenith Data Systems TurbosPORT 386
Cherry: G80-3000LPCXY-2 #1   |   G80-3000LPCXY-2 #2   |   G80-3485LWNUS #1 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G80-3485LWNUS #2 (Das Keyboard II)   |   G81-1281SAW (Zenith Data Systems)   |   G81-3000SAT   |   G81-3090SAQ (Schneider)   |   G81-3100SEBUS
Topre: PFU Limited HHKB Blank (charcoal [PD-KB300BN])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (charcoal [PD-KB400B])   |   PFU Limited HHKB Printed (gray [PD-KB400WS])   |   Realforce 91UDK-G (NG02B0)   |   Realforce 103UB (SE42B0)   |   Realforce Taiwanese kit (dark gray)   |   Sony BKE-9400A   |   Sony MKS-8050

Collection

Offline Abec13

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 10:39:54 »
What? Is the teal going to be a new color or not?

As of right now, it will be. Alternatively I have ordered some TU3 Spacebars from Originative (that got lost in the mail, reorder soon) of TU3, used in Keyboard & Co.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 13:08:46 by Abec13 »
[/url]

Offline EvaoftheIvy

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 10:59:59 »
Looks good simple and pleasant

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 15:17:39 »
Novelties seem very tacky for something that is supposed to exude luxury imo. Colors are cool though.

I think they fit the theme, it makes sense if you've ever been around a luxury shopping block although that would depend on your area too.
I really only see Vespas around there and the gift boxes are like Tiffany boxes and so on.

The camera novelty I think could be changed to look more like a Leica rather than what resembles a Fuji X100 though.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Abec13

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 16:03:52 »

I think they fit the theme, it makes sense if you've ever been around a luxury shopping block although that would depend on your area too.
I really only see Vespas around there and the gift boxes are like Tiffany boxes and so on.

The camera novelty I think could be changed to look more like a Leica rather than what resembles a Fuji X100 though.

What would you consider a signature Leica? I did the X100T (nice catch) because I personally own that camera and thought it was pretty cute.
[/url]

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 17:37:40 »
What would you consider a signature Leica? I did the X100T (nice catch) because I personally own that camera and thought it was pretty cute.

Yeah it's a nice lil camera 😎

The Leica M3 for sure, but you could just go with the M2 or MP since they have cleaner lines n will be recognizeable either way since they all look similar.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 22:17:26 »
Thank you for this set :)

Suggestions/Observations:
  • The glasses could match a certain iconic style:

• I like the idea of a vintage bike over a Vespa. Scooters are a staple and not a finer thing to own in South Asia and India...

• Can you add "PgUp" Row 3 and "PgDn" Row 4 to the base kit?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2019, 02:24:30 by Butterbeer »

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 01:41:54 »
Super in on this. This on White Iron FE might be one of my favorite boards I've ever seen.

Offline TastyChance

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 03:00:38 »
Hard yes. Base+SpaceBars for sure.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 11:30:01 »
<grumble grumble> Atlantis ISO <grumble grumble> (this can be fixed)

Perhaps it's just me, but will the contrast between both colors be enough? YMMV, but I find the blue-on-white legends hard to distinguish.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 11:42:28 »
Where are R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn, i'm literally shaking rn

Good base kit other than that :)

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 07:16:00 »
Blue + WS2 is my jam! I love the bow and vespa novelties.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 08:24:41 »
Beautiful.   :thumb:
I'll buy.

Offline zepled112

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 15:47:21 »
Make the damn set and take my money!  :))

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 13:25:05 »
I'm in

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 10:08:47 »
Keyboard guys and their feminine colors...

Offline 0Name

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 11:47:23 »
The ultimate Luxury combo: This + White/Frosted acrylic case + Tealios.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 12:44:58 »
Thank you for this set :)

Suggestions/Observations:
  • The glasses could match a certain iconic style:
Show Image
Show Image

• I like the idea of a vintage bike over a Vespa. Scooters are a staple and not a finer thing to own in South Asia and India...

• Can you add "PgUp" Row 3 and "PgDn" Row 4 to the base kit?

The scooter is actually one of my favorite novelties, perhaps western and european luxury is more what I had in mind.

As for the pgup/dn it''ll be considered though few other people have been requesting those. Keep an eye out for updates.

Keyboard guys and their feminine colors...

If you don't get the novelties, who's to say?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2019, 07:57:01 by Abec13 »
[/url]