Author Topic: [IC] Optical Future: Custom Screws are in - still alive  (Read 31705 times)

Offline Swishy

[IC] Optical Future: Custom Screws are in - still alive
« on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:19:28 »
                    HELLO ALL, My name is Swishy and I am doing something new and different I want to run the first ever Group buy for Gateron ink optical Switches.

Note: This is just a render final product may differ in appearence, but all parts are the same!

Now I hear some of you saying what in the world is an Optical Switch well.. Here is a video to explain
Wow, that was informative now I know some of you probably didn't watch so tldr they use infrared light to actuate rather than a leaf and are hotswap. More on the actual Group Buy once I get 200 Responses I will use the type, material with the most votes. Then along side I will also start developing a standard 60% pcb that will support most standard cases.

If this interest you please fill out this form https://forms.gle/3YGHUtBwUct7g6rK7 that would help a ton as I will use the results to choose what I produce

Q1. I wanna try it out now
A1. welllllll you can at https://www.epathbuy.com #not sponsored also on Amazon (I recommend dierya cheap and decent good enough to know if you'll like it or not)

Q2. I just want some switches to see how they work
A2. link here https://www.epathbuy.com/product/gateron-optical-switches/ and they are super affordable.

Q3. With the existing PCB that are on the market can I put them in a standard case?
A3. maybe it depends because I have three 60% optical keyboards and only 1 really is capable of matching the screws to any case and you might need to get a custom plate that will support plate mount stabs or just file the corners as the plate is long.

My boards to show that I actually have them but also to show you how they look on the inside here are the guts of my board enjoy
More

Pros and Cons:
More
Pros:
1. They are durable no leaf and the switch just blocks light
2. They are hot swap and not like kalih hot swap which can break
3. because you are dealing with light they can have faster response time, but I personally have not done a test to see if it makes a big difference
4. No chatter
5. Beginner friendly
6. No soldering
7. Less friction, so smoother.

Cons:
1. Not much PCB support for custom builds
2. Could be difficult to support multiple layout with a single PCB
3. Not very popular right now

Part 2
Since there is also a lack of pcbs support along with this Group Buy I will be designing More standard pcbs for customs builds
Here is the test pcb showing Optical switch and it working with QMK

The Results:
  • The pcb works with QMK which is awesome
  • The variable layout does work but it has some issues, but this means that possibly in the revision or future runs we will see pcbs that can support more layouts on one pcb(more like stepped vs unstepped)

What is next?
Great question, we will refine the designed and do a second test till we are happy with that result. Then we will move towards a 60% possibly universal but for now Ansi pcb.

Custom Standoff:
So a very important part of this project is overcoming the fact that Optical Switches don't use solder so holding the plate down is much hard. My solution is a custom standoff. Its head is bigger than 5mm meaning you can use your old plates and don't need a custom plate. I was also able to source Wafer-head screws that also has a diameter larger than 5mm. The last great thing is that they dont interact with the switches do something like this could also work for Hotswap boards as well.

(note: not the Optical Future PCB)

My Goal:
My reason for doing this isn't to make money nor get a switch I want made. It is to promote innovation and change to a newer future, and I know it can be hard to move from the things you are comfortable with but if you give it a shot I really think it can impress you. It would help so much if you please do the google form https://forms.gle/3YGHUtBwUct7g6rK7 and share it with others to help spread the word. If you would like to contact me and ask questions swishy#5923 is my discord.
Thank you so much for your time,
Swishy

P.s please go support my other IC KAM 80s After Dark 

Updates
More
Week 1 Update
First of all, I would like to thank anyone who has taken the survey so far. There was 110 people that responded and here are the results:

note: I didn't require every question to be answered

I would also like to clarify as I got a lot of questions about what is the point of this IC post. It has two purposes to make pcbs that will fit most standard layouts and also support QMK/Via, and the second purpose was to create more options of optical switches. The order of importance is to make the pcb first and then get it out to the community, then run the switch.
After talking around the community and getting feedback from the survey I decided to change my approach to the pcb layout chosen before I neglected attention for 60% because they already existed but after talking about it. It will be the first pcb I work to produce as it can be used almost universally and works with a lot of cases. Your data will not go in vain as I will use it to decided the next pcb layout I make after the 60% but we still need more feedback.

Week 2 update
This week has been very exciting as we finally got our hands on the needed resources to finalize the pcb design. Also I have created a partnership with the Community member Leavenember and he did the pcb design. Along with finishing up the base design for the 60% pcb. We also started thinking about the future and how can we implement the pcb. I will list the ideas we came up with at the end of the post. The next major step is fine tuning the pcb design and getting it to work with QMK. I would also like to thank you all who supported the idea and who either shared the idea or took the survey both helped very much. Lastly, I would like to call on pcb and case designers to think about the future and what it could be, and if you are interested in implementing this idea I would love for you to join the discord and share ideas.

List of ideas to test:
1. Testing if we can use Step and unstepped keycaps on one pcb
    How: Dremel a hole in to the bottom of the switch to allow for light to pass through and place the IR emitter and PT further apart
2. Support already existing and new top mount/gasket mount cases
    How: using a foam in between the case and pcb to keep it in place but also removes pcb to plate rattle

We would love to hear your ideas and get feedback you can either post it here or on the Discord

Week 3 Update Part 1
This week's post is a little late the intention was to post pictures of the test pcbs after testing but there was some delays on the Manu side, so the pcb shipped later than expected. There should hopefully be an update soon.

Update (07/05/2020)
Sorry for the late update, I have tons of good news. For one Gateron Ink Optical Switches are confirmed, which is really exciting. The switch will have a MOQ of 12,000( it was less before but then I contacted ray again and he corrected the number) which is pretty nice compared to what I thought it would've been. I would also like to announce that Gondolindrim is gonna be helping out with the pcbs design and has already helped a ton by helping us reduce cost of pcbs which is major. We have the test pcb built but we are still doing testing and as such I will wait to release any info. Thanks to all of you who have been following and did the surveys. This is a fun project and I can't wait to share the final results with you all!

Mini-Update
So, we have started designing the 60% pcb and have some cool things that I will release once the PCB gets here. While we are waiting I would like to show something that I did. I took one of my holy pandas and swapped everything but the bottom housing (including the leaf which had to be clipped and this is the hardest part cause if you mess up you get linear RIP T1) I also lubed and filmed it and it make the best sound you could imagine. I will be getting some tactic silent tactile and try to repeat.

Discord Server
I have made a simple discord server to help combine minds and allow for people to come together and learn.
If you are interested you can join here https://discord.gg/z8KMEky

Awesome New logo by LastPadawan

Acknowledgments:
Illusion: He supported the Idea from the very beginning and helped me get my feet grounded
Leavenember: He found me just to say he wanted to help and is the main reason the project has made such progress
Gondolindrim: He is Big Brain
Gtrx: Gave wise and invaluable feedback
Bachoo: for switch concept renders
You: For supporting

Signature :

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106648.0][img width=400 height=140]https://i.imgur.com/lQSCdM5.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 August 2021, 10:20:26 by Swishy »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Re: [IC] Optical Switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:40:35 »
Sorry, but if you really want optical switches to take off the better play is to design a PCB that uses said switches. Most people here don't have an interest in off-the-shelf keyboards, and want to build customs.

These switches are already readily available from AliExpress and Taobao but no one buys them because there aren't many boards that use them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:42:38 by Iredeus »

Offline Owl

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:04:19 »
Yeah I think if we want to start opening the door to innovation, the first step is making optical switch PCB's that fit popular customs. Once the ground work for optical switch support has been laid, then the market becomes wide open for yourself and others to offer optical switches of all kinds of flavors. There wont be any sort of need or demand before then though.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 20:09:14 »
thank you for the feedback I was intending on using the results of the IC to choose what pcb I make so that would come later.

Offline vosechu

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:11:49 »
Make the pcb use gh60 mounting points and it’ll be easier to sell. Many 60% cases will fit that, so it opens things up.

Also, ignore the idea that most people want customs. The mega survey has shown each and every year that most people _do not_ purchase or own customs. The vast majority have 1-2 keyboards that cost less than $200 (with caps).

Also, as a pcb designer myself, would love to see the footprints you make in kicad. I would love to support the switches, but I haven’t done research on them yet.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:19:33 »
Make the pcb use gh60 mounting points and it’ll be easier to sell. Many 60% cases will fit that, so it opens things up.

Also, ignore the idea that most people want customs. The mega survey has shown each and every year that most people _do not_ purchase or own customs. The vast majority have 1-2 keyboards that cost less than $200 (with caps).

Also, as a pcb designer myself, would love to see the footprints you make in kicad. I would love to support the switches, but I haven’t done research on them yet.

Thank you for the advice, and yeah I do plan on releasing the Kicad as I go but the group buy for the pcb will happen at the same the gb for the keys. I am making server so people can take and help through the process because any help is welcomed!

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 04:23:31 »
I see plate mount stabs I get sad

Offline Swishy

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 04:53:24 »
the one I am doing will support pcb mount don't worry!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 05:25:33 »
I would surely buy,  if only I had a pcb with ISO layout... where to get one? :(
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Swishy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 05:34:57 »
I would surely buy,  if only I had a pcb with ISO layout... where to get one? :(

Sadly, that is one of the negatives of optical keyboards right now there is much support and that is why I am working on developing standard pcb and ISO is something I am still figuring out so far Ik I can have a pcb cover stepped cap and regular caps lock on one pcb

Offline Prelim

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 05:42:06 »
not sure you can make a universal (ansi/iso) pcb, but can't you make a iso only version? there are already regular hot swap ISO pcbs available, for instance the HS60: https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/parts/hs60-hotswap-pcb/

2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Swishy

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 06:00:12 »
not sure you can make a universal (ansi/iso) pcb, but can't you make a iso only version? there are already regular hot swap ISO pcbs available, for instance the HS60: https://mechboards.co.uk/shop/parts/hs60-hotswap-pcb/

Show Image

that is probably what I will have to end up doing for a lot of non standard layout and as of right now I am thinking of doing standard and ISO but I need to figure out other things before I get too ambitious! but thank you for bringing it up it has been something I have thought about.

Offline Owl

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 10:49:32 »

I agree with this. While "I" would like to see PCBs for customs, because thats what I use, the real potential is in making PCB's for stuff like Ducky's and Anne Pro's. You pull that off and that would be extremely exciting. Even people in the customs scene like myself would dabble in that I think. Like if I could get an optical PCB for my GMMK or Drop Ctrl I would jump right on that.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 12:24:29 »

I agree with this. While "I" would like to see PCBs for customs, because thats what I use, the real potential is in making PCB's for stuff like Ducky's and Anne Pro's. You pull that off and that would be extremely exciting. Even people in the customs scene like myself would dabble in that I think. Like if I could get an optical PCB for my GMMK or Drop Ctrl I would jump right on that.

Good to know I have gotten a lot of feedback about the layout I should choose and I believe I am very close to knowing what I am going to do.

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 17:48:28 »
edited to remove dumb mistake from the past
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:35:51 by logo4poop »
LCK75 so lit

Offline Swishy

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:05:06 »
Opticals are already so cheap so why would there need to be a ****ing group buy for them? At least partner with a company
just don't later try to make them sign an illegal contact and threaten to sue them. ok don't make this the ori drama again please

The existing one are cheap but I am going to do a groupbuy for a different material and since I can’t afford nor store enough switches to continuously stock and resale I feel a group buy is the smarter option also I don’t plan on doing the switch group buy nor working with a vendor until I finish the pcb.

Offline logo4poop

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:33:30 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:36:06 by logo4poop »
LCK75 so lit

Offline Swishy

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 18:42:06 »
k

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:12:25 »
Opticals are already so cheap so why would there need to be a ****ing group buy for them? At least partner with a company
just don't later try to make them sign an illegal contact and threaten to sue them. ok don't make this the ori drama again please

The existing one are cheap but I am going to do a groupbuy for a different material and since I can’t afford nor store enough switches to continuously stock and resale I feel a group buy is the smarter option also I don’t plan on doing the switch group buy nor working with a vendor until I finish the pcb.
You didn't even know what firmware was until yesterday, I'm not sure if you are capable of making a PCB.

And you can't make a usb hole.  Maybe you should focus more on you and less on trying to give others advice.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:30:35 »

You didn't even know what firmware was until yesterday, I'm not sure if you are capable of making a PCB.
Chill dude no need to throw sinks...

Offline Swishy

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 21:59:53 »

Dont pay comments like that any attention, cause when the pcb is here it doesn't really matter what people thought.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:09:03 »

Dont pay comments like that any attention, cause when the pcb is here it doesn't really matter what people thought.

Agreed, I'm actually also just learning how to design PCBs which is proving to be fun. I definitely hope you get that PCB worked out that way you can advance in this project.  :thumb:

Offline logo4poop

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:22:58 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:36:24 by logo4poop »
LCK75 so lit

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 02:08:34 »

What an idiot

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Swishy

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 11:31:48 »

What an idiot

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

doesn't matter

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 12:45:07 »
I don't really care much about the 'custom' scene, that's not important for me.
But I want more adoption for optical switches now that I can see that they are very affordable, so I appreciate posts like this. There's definitely potential for them imo.

Haven't tried a whole bunch of optical switches myself though, but the ones I tried were very smooth. You've already assured me that long term reliability won't be an issue, so that's my biggest worry gone.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 15:25:49 »
I don't really care much about the 'custom' scene, that's not important for me.
But I want more adoption for optical switches now that I can see that they are very affordable, so I appreciate posts like this. There's definitely potential for them imo.

Haven't tried a whole bunch of optical switches myself though, but the ones I tried were very smooth. You've already assured me that long term reliability won't be an issue, so that's my biggest worry gone.

That is the goal and the more support it get the more companies/vendors will see the potential I hope!

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Switches Week 1 update
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 14:55:59 »
New update check it out

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical PCB/Switches Week 2 Update: Protos ordered
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 15:56:08 »
Protos ordered

Offline Prelim

Re: [IC] Optical Future Week 2 Update: Protos ordered
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:06:44 »
any news on plate/case designs? as someone already pointed out, it should be compatible with Poker style holes, as 90% of the 60% custom cases

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 12:32:46 »
any news on plate/case designs? as someone already pointed out, it should be compatible with Poker style holes, as 90% of the 60% custom cases

afaik the end goal is a standard 60% (similar to the plain60, dz60, etc.) that supports optical switches.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 13:01:10 »
indeed, however the GK61/GK64 etc are sold as barebone (case/plate/pcb), so I think that may also applies to this ;)

Offline Swishy

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 15:15:53 »

we will use standoff similar to the one in the photos for tray mount and we will try to make it as standard as possible.
Thank you for your question!

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Future Update Optical Gat INKs confirmed!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 05:53:52 »
Gateron Inks Confirmed!!!! :D

Offline Tarek

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 04:04:00 »

Good **** man.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 04:39:03 »

Good **** man.

Thanks I am hoping to have the pcbs Posted soon

Offline garbo

Genius move for Gateron. Why fix the leaves on inks when you can just remove them completely?

Offline Prelim

Genius move for Gateron. Why fix the leaves on inks when you can just remove them completely?

lol, so true! funny things apart, I look forward for the optical ink switches ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2020, 09:44:47 by Prelim »

Offline menuhin

Q3. With the existing PCB that are on the market can I put them in a standard case?
A3. maybe it depends because I have three 60% optical keyboards and only 1 really is capable of matching the screws to any case and you might need to get a custom plate that will support plate mount stabs or just file the corners as the plate is long.
[/size]

I'm interested in the Gateron optical switches as well as the Gateron ink switches.
It would be great if this GB (still IC, I know) can include a whole kit that includes a set: PCB that fits the usual 60% case, plates, and stabs - if the stabs need to be mounted on the plate instead of on the PCB.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Swishy

[/size]

I'm interested in the Gateron optical switches as well as the Gateron ink switches.
It would be great if this GB (still IC, I know) can include a whole kit that includes a set: PCB that fits the usual 60% case, plates, and stabs - if the stabs need to be mounted on the plate instead of on the PCB.

Great point and that is what we are trying to do there won't be stabs because we are gonna support any 60% plate that has standard screw holes. I plan on making it that you can chose to get the pcbs and/or plate and maybe run the switches at the same time since they are confirmed. I will have the finalized plan once I get all the vendors, but thank you for the suggestion!

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Optical test pcb is here and working with QMK
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 14:27:23 »
YAAA YEEET Test pcb works with QMK the future is on its way!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 14:51:58 »

I know it's still in IC form, but this is the sort of good news we all needed!

Offline robrobro

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 16:42:27 »

[/size]

Great point and that is what we are trying to do there won't be stabs because we are gonna support any 60% plate that has standard screw holes. I plan on making it that you can chose to get the pcbs and/or plate and maybe run the switches at the same time since they are confirmed. I will have the finalized plan once I get all the vendors, but thank you for the suggestion!
Great! Plate mount stabs would be a big bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swishy

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 23:27:12 »

I know it's still in IC form, but this is the sort of good news we all needed!

Glad to hear!!!

[/size]

Great! Plate mount stabs would be a big bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was one of things I hate about the optical keyboard that are out now

Offline menuhin

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 02:41:23 »

One more important request:
South-Facing LED slot please.

This company that produces all those GK61/GK61s and SK61/SK61s have North-Facing LED switch orientations in all their PCBs. As we all know, North-Facing switch orientation will have interference to Cherry profile keycaps on Row 3, i.e. the keystroke will be stopped by the impact of underside of Cherry profile keycaps with the switch top housings, instead of by bottoming out of the switch stems inside the switches. This problem is there regardless of there is an LED installed or not on a switch, as the contact points are on the switch top housings, and therefore I expect this possible interference too for gateron optical switches that feature a very similar top housing to their non-optical counterparts.

So please design a PCB with south-facing led (lens) design and get rid of all those North-Facing orientations especially in the middle rows.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Prelim

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 03:02:44 »
that's indeed very important!

Offline Swishy

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 05:12:09 »

This company that produces all those GK61/GK61s and SK61/SK61s have North-Facing LED switch orientations in all their PCBs. As we all know, North-Facing switch orientation will have interference to Cherry profile keycaps on Row 3, i.e. the keystroke will be stopped by the impact of underside of Cherry profile keycaps with the switch top housings, instead of by bottoming out of the switch stems inside the switches. This problem is there regardless of there is an LED installed or not on a switch, as the contact points are on the switch top housings, and therefore I expect this possible interference too for gateron optical switches that feature a very similar top housing to their non-optical counterparts.

So please design a PCB with south-facing led (lens) design and get rid of all those North-Facing orientations especially in the middle rows.

That is a great point, although we dont plan on having leds in this run I would like to let you know that there is an advantage to optical switches since they dont have pins you can easily just flip the switch to have to light pass through both north or south facing. You also gave me a good idea I will do some test after this run and put leds on both sides that way its friendly to either way. Hope this is good news to you!
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 05:21:22 by Swishy »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 17:03:27 »

That is a great point, although we dont plan on having leds in this run I would like to let you know that there is an advantage to optical switches since they dont have pins you can easily just flip the switch to have to light pass through both north or south facing. You also gave me a good idea I will do some test after this run and put leds on both sides that way its friendly to either way. Hope this is good news to you!

Optical switches can be installed either in a north-facing or a south-facing orientation? That's great to hear.

One thing though is that in the Gateron optical switch top housing where there was a slot for LED installation, now there is a thick lens for making the SMD LED light shines through and focuses better from below the switch:

https://imgur.com/gallery/EnGb0ad
According to some reviews, these switch-top housing lens make the SMD LEDs shine much better.

If the PCB has SMD LEDs (which SK61, SK61s, SK64, SK64s all already have SMD LEDs) and are all north-facing LEDs, and that the user just flip the switches to be artificially south-facing to avoid Cherry profile caps (e.g. GMK) keycap interferences -- the light will then just pass through the wrong part of switch-top housing, which is not the focusing lens but through the Gateron logo at the top.
North-facing LEDs with optical switches installed in a south-facing orientation - it may still work but we can see that's not the best...
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Swishy

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 19:30:17 »

Optical switches can be installed either in a north-facing or a south-facing orientation? That's great to hear.

One thing though is that in the Gateron optical switch top housing where there was a slot for LED installation, now there is a thick lens for making the SMD LED light shines through and focuses better from below the switch:
Show Image

https://imgur.com/gallery/EnGb0ad
According to some reviews, these switch-top housing lens make the SMD LEDs shine much better.

If the PCB has SMD LEDs (which SK61, SK61s, SK64, SK64s all already have SMD LEDs) and are all north-facing LEDs, and that the user just flip the switches to be artificially south-facing to avoid Cherry profile caps (e.g. GMK) keycap interferences -- the light will then just pass through the wrong part of switch-top housing, which is not the focusing lens but through the Gateron logo at the top.
North-facing LEDs with optical switches installed in a south-facing orientation - it may still work but we can see that's not the best...

No, I dont think you are understanding what I am suggesting. Instead of limiting you choice with just one 1 led at the north or south why not do both and give the consumer the choice, which is why I said flipping it around can be a viable option as there doesn't have to be one way since people won't be limited by the pins of the switch anymore! Hope this helps ;D

Offline Prelim

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 03:00:48 »
I guess this is the idea, so you can use the switch north or south facing:

either the way, at least for me is useless since I don't like to use leds  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2020, 03:02:22 by Prelim »