Author Topic: [IC] GMK Lychee (荔枝) | Groupbuy is live!  (Read 73717 times)

Offline busytimmy

Re: [IC] GMK Lychee (荔枝) | UPDATED 6/4 | 4 days away from groupbuy!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 18:30:30 »
Love the colours, but I have a couple of questions.

Why is the extra B in the base when I can't do a makeshift Alice layout with the rest of the base kit? Why is there no F13 anywhere?
The extra B is in the base kit because I had at one point had alice support in base, which I ended up removing, but never removed the B.

As for the F13, after reviewing quotes from GMK, I decided not to add an F13 to the base. Though, it's not out of the normal to see a set that doesn't have an f13. Many sets that run don't have it, and while yes, it's gotten more and more popular in recent times, I opted out of adding the key.

Can we just swap the B for F13 then?

at this point, with only 3 days until groupbuy, it's pretty much impossible to get another round of quotes in such short time

Curious about the decision to go for the extra unnecessary B instead of F13 in the base though. Did no one else pick this up or mention it?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 19:53:58 »
"Curious about the decision to go for the extra unnecessary B instead of F13 in the base though. Did no one else pick this up or mention it?"

Can't speak for F13 but there is immense pressure to keep base kit cost down. The extra B is for Alice users and there are probably more Alice users than F13 users who dont also wanna put a lychee nov in F13, and the rate at which it's a dealbreaker is probably also different. Why not put it in the spacebar kit? This adds a color to the spacebar kit and a doubleshot one at that. Per designers and people who get quotes and talk about em-those additions to the spacebar kit are several fold more in cost than it would be in base. My guess is there's another theoretical spacebar kit design that doesn't use the accent colors where the total 'bar kit cost is low and it was done differently.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 10:08:10 »
Love the colours, but I have a couple of questions.

Why is the extra B in the base when I can't do a makeshift Alice layout with the rest of the base kit? Why is there no F13 anywhere?
The extra B is in the base kit because I had at one point had alice support in base, which I ended up removing, but never removed the B.

As for the F13, after reviewing quotes from GMK, I decided not to add an F13 to the base. Though, it's not out of the normal to see a set that doesn't have an f13. Many sets that run don't have it, and while yes, it's gotten more and more popular in recent times, I opted out of adding the key.

Can we just swap the B for F13 then?

at this point, with only 3 days until groupbuy, it's pretty much impossible to get another round of quotes in such short time

Curious about the decision to go for the extra unnecessary B instead of F13 in the base though. Did no one else pick this up or mention it?

"Curious about the decision to go for the extra unnecessary B instead of F13 in the base though. Did no one else pick this up or mention it?"

Can't speak for F13 but there is immense pressure to keep base kit cost down. The extra B is for Alice users and there are probably more Alice users than F13 users who dont also wanna put a lychee nov in F13, and the rate at which it's a dealbreaker is probably also different. Why not put it in the spacebar kit? This adds a color to the spacebar kit and a doubleshot one at that. Per designers and people who get quotes and talk about em-those additions to the spacebar kit are several fold more in cost than it would be in base. My guess is there's another theoretical spacebar kit design that doesn't use the accent colors where the total 'bar kit cost is low and it was done differently.

^^^^

A quick clarification as to why the B can't just be swapped with F13. That would require me to add the B to the spacebars kits and get yet another round of quotes. If I had more time, the decision would be a no-brainer, but with this short amount of time left there's simply no way we can request another round of quotes and get pricing from vendors in time.

Offline busytimmy

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 16:35:18 »

If you read my prior comment you would know this already, but the additional 'B' in the base kit is only useful if you have the additional shifts required in order to support Alice layout. If you don't have those shifts then the B is redundant. Makes sense? So the question becomes, why not make it F13 instead? Well, apparently there's a massive rush to get this thing out of IC and into GB. Better to rush a passion project than do it properly, it seems.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 19:35:47 »

If you read my prior comment you would know this already, but the additional 'B' in the base kit is only useful if you have the additional shifts required in order to support Alice layout. If you don't have those shifts then the B is redundant. Makes sense? So the question becomes, why not make it F13 instead? Well, apparently there's a massive rush to get this thing out of IC and into GB. Better to rush a passion project than do it properly, it seems.

"massive rush"

heh

This has been in IC for 6 months now, nothing is "rushed". Hell, a lot of sets make it to groupbuy with less than 2 months in IC nowadays. I think the simple fact is that kitting has changed several times which has led to some minor faults when it comes to kitting decisions. No need for toxicity, I've worked very hard on this set and many revisions have been made based on feedback and advice.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 June 2021, 19:38:39 by NovaRMK »

Offline NovaRMK

Re: [IC] GMK Lychee (荔枝) | Groupbuy is live!
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 14:00:11 »
GB Thread is now live, locking topic. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113412.0