Author Topic: Keyboard advice  (Read 1411 times)

Offline RandomUser145

Keyboard advice
« on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 08:14:52 »
Hello everyone,
I'm currently using Kinesis Freestyle 2 keyboard. Since the whole corona situation is getting better,  I would like to have some time in the office (been working from home for over a year now). My biggest fear is the keyboard though.
In the office we have super simple cheap keyboards and I cannot see that I would be comfortable using those, since I'm using the Kinesis. I was thinking I would get new keyboard, that might be easy to carry from home to office and back.

From what I have seen, I pretty much like the ZSA Moonlander keyboard. Especially because it looks like it's super easy to move (you can disconnect the cable, put it into the special bag that comes with it and then unpack it again in office). It has those legs, that allow you to tilt it too, but I'm afraid with frequent moving, it would broke too soon. I also like it has arrow keys in much better place.

Generally, I would like to have:
- easy to move or with a price that would allow me to buy two of the keyboards
- thumb clusters
- no numpad
- definitely split

I'm still not sure about mechanical, never had one. If so, some silent switches because of the office. I don't need RGB or backlit.
Regarding the price: Moonlander is around 400. I'm willing to pay that much if it's worth. But 400 is probably the highest of highs I can get.

Kinesis Freestyle 2 I have now is not bad, but I think I could do better (for example I think thumb clusters are much better for ergonomics, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks.

Offline Mainian

Re: Keyboard advice
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 00:27:59 »
You can replace the legs if you break them, for pretty cheap. I don't think you will break them easily though. https://www.zsa.io/moonlander/accessories/
Oh, I guess you have to order them anyways xD.

Ergonomics of a thumb cluster should feel better for ergonomics, but in truth everything is preference. In a work environment, you will be fine with anything that is non-click switch with this keyboard. Considering it is hot swappable and you are not experienced with mechanical switches, it should be a great option for you. So even if you have too get silent switches, or if you just want to try silent switches.  :thumb: