Author Topic: [GB] KBM Love Detective All Sets Will Be Made!  (Read 12660 times)

Offline Reebes

[GB] KBM Love Detective All Sets Will Be Made!
« on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 20:58:07 »

KBM PBT LOVE DETECTIVE

JUNE 8TH - JULY 8TH, 2022

SHIP DATE: OCTOBER, 2022 Late December, 2022

Join the Discord for updates       

PRICING

VENDOR LINKS
NA: Otakeebs
CA: AshKeebs
EU: LYKKO STUDIO
CN: THICTHOCK
KR: Swag Keys
SEA: Zion Studio
AU: ALL CAPS
CA: AshKeebs

KITTING

DESKMATS

Dance Time Deskmat
Dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance dance

Pattern Deskmat

RENDERS

KBM METALWORKS

TEAMWORK!

CABLES!

Our friends at Kkona.co will be offering themed cables for Love Detective!

ARTISAN KEYS!

Bungkee Caps

(June 23)

Sneak Peek:
More

Sandun

(June 3)

Sneak Peek:
More

DELLA KEY

(June 18)

Shirouu Kaps

(June 10)

Artzeikaps

(June 24)

PanicKeycaps

(July 8)
[/color][/size]

Miroticaps

fromscratchcaps

INFO ON KBM + SAMPLE PHOTOS
More
From KBM:
Keybee Manufacturing (KBM) is an NA based team who love keyboards and were tired of the long wait times and sometimes low quality seen from keycap manufactures recently. They've gotten together to bring to market an alternative dye sublimation PBT keycap option, with attention to the following:
-Super crisp legends
-Thick cap walls (1.7mm)
-A noticeable lack of warping
At a competitive price!

For those of you who're (understandably) concerned about quality, we've got samples! Check them out for yourself (click "more" to expand the full album). Comparison shots to other well-known manufacturers will be posted in coming weeks!
Colour Matching Notes:
CPThe colour is actually a bit off of CP, but in the direction of the original Pantone 7604C (so in a good way). Approved.
Pink (706C) Might not look like it from the photos, but these match dead-on! Approved
Coral (2339C) Slightly too orange, R2 samples on their way
Blue (290C) Has a greenish-greyish tinge to it. R2 samples on their way

Photo creds go out to Mr. Prince Lumpia for these awesome sample photos

BACKGROUND INFO
More
Are you lovesick? Experiencing mild despair? Unsure of how to make a move towards taking the big step in your new relationship - holding hands? All these problems and more can be resolved through the employment of a qualified Love Detective!

This is a set my Fiancee and I have created together. Inspired by a particular “Love Detective”, one of our favourite characters from one of our favourite shows - likely responsible for the most laughter from us both across all of what we've watched.

COLOURS
Colours were, of course, inspired by a particular Love Detective with bright pink hair! Any L.D. worth their salt knows that a warm personality is an important part of success in the industry. We chose colours with warmer undertones to convey this particular type of personality while still aiming to stay true to our source of inspiration.
The cream colour of the alphas is complemented by the “peachy coral-ly soft orange-y colour” (these descriptions are as quoted from my Fiancee, a professional artist). The same peach/coral/orange colour is used as the base colour on accent keys, contrasted with bright blue legends.

CONTACT
/u/ReebesLikesKeebs on Reddit
Reebes#8492 on Discord

SIGNATURE:
Add this to your signature to help support GMK Love Detective!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69][img]https://i.imgur.com/pOIlTqT.gif[/img][/url]

Thank you for your time :llama:
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 October 2022, 11:28:54 by Reebes »

Offline fortissim2

Re: [GB] KBM Love Detective
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 13:58:00 »
Looks amazing! Also in my favorite color too :)
GLWGB!

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 18:10:15 »
GLWGB  :thumb:

Offline kazutrap

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 21:40:54 »
I'm tempted to buy, just not sure if I want PBT. It tends to sound and feel different from doubleshot ABS (DCX/GMK).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 22:09:43 »
the renders are in a bunch of different colors but the sample photos are nice to see to balance that out, this looks good, glwgb
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AraAra

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 22:49:10 »
Oh man, the Dance Time deskmat is so good. I'm PROBABLY in for the hiragana base and novelties, but in for that deskmat either way!

Offline Escabrera

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 01:19:43 »
I guess I can't really complain too much for 50 but I'm not a fan of mod colored quote since that's the key I and a bunch of others actually use for layouts with an extra homerow key. Regardless I'm probably in for a kit and a dance time mat now that I've learned this exists.

Offline Reebes

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 11:13:27 »
I'm tempted to buy, just not sure if I want PBT. It tends to sound and feel different from doubleshot ABS (DCX/GMK).

It definitely does sounds and feel different! If it helps, the samples feel somewhere between MW and GMK in terms of texture/smoothness & the keycap walls have been made extra thick to allow for a deeper sound (not sure how these fit into your preferences)!

the renders are in a bunch of different colors but the sample photos are nice to see to balance that out, this looks good, glwgb

Thanks, really appreciate it ;D!
But yeah, the colour selection went a bit back-and-forth for the alphas, but we're super happy with how the samples turned out! The only reason I felt OK keeping some of the less up-to-date renders in the post was because we have the full sample photos as well.

Oh man, the Dance Time deskmat is so good. I'm PROBABLY in for the hiragana base and novelties, but in for that deskmat either way!

Thanks for the kind words! It's always nice to hear when people appreciate something you worked on  :)

Offline vy1mizki

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 19:46:02 »
hows kbm quality and their qc compared to other manufacturer? really looking forward to the set but never tried kbm.

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 09:39:43 »
The anime has been on fire! GLWIC

Offline baconspoon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 01:14:57 »
Hype to see a 40's base kit offering for staggered boards. It would have been cool to have an alpha-colored quote key, but it's not a deal-breaker. I don't think the one in the kit will look good next to an enter accent, so I'll probably just have to use the colon. R1 number keys are also an odd inclusion for a 40's kit. I always thought it would be cool to see num row keys in either straight R2, or spread over R2, R3, and R4 like the numpad keys. Then they could be used in place of some alphas for people who touch type but can't remember where the symbols are. I can't think of a way to actually use R1 number keys on a 40.

All that aside, I'll be ordering these. I have to reward the offering of a 40's base kit.

Offline Otakeebs

• www.otakeebs.com
    • Otakeebs
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 17:41:32 »
hows kbm quality and their qc compared to other manufacturer? really looking forward to the set but never tried kbm.

Please check out Apiary Keyboard's Instagram post you can find it here:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cez1sxygg2T/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

KBM Has solid quality, and 1.7mm thick keycap walls! Have a texture between MW and GMK, plus crisp legends!

Offline Otakeebs

• www.otakeebs.com
    • Otakeebs
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 17:42:35 »

Apiary actually did a review where you can see for yourself if you'd like it!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cez1sxygg2T/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The texture is slightly rougher than GMK but less than that of MW, and has a nice deep sound! Hope this helps!

Offline Reebes

Re: [GB] KBM Love Detective [Final 48hrs] All Sets Will Be Made!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 07:33:23 »
Happy to announce that all sets will be made!

Here's another album of beautiful sample photos taken by Apiary

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 09:48:25 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2022, 18:59:59 by dvorcol »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 19:09:16 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline Reebes

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 October 2022, 11:26:33 »
OCTOBER 8, 2022:
I’ve spoken with the lead vendor & manu and have confirmation that final colour matching samples are on their way to me at this point! After confirmation, manufacturing is set to begin almost immediately and should be completed around mid November.

At that point the sets will be shipped to vendors (that’ve paid) and then out to you guys! I’d expect that process to take at least an additional month. So at this point my estimate is late December for delivery to those of you who joined

NOVEMBER 5, 2022:
Hey Peeps, here’s an update on the colour-matching situation (TLDR at end):

We got the next round of colour matching samples back, and they mostly look pretty close to the guides - the paper books of Pantone colours. Here are our thoughts on each:

-  Coral still isn’t dialed in quite enough for us. It’s been changed in the right direction for sure but we feel its been over-corrected.

-  The pink looks pretty close to the wrong colour because there was a miscommunication and they matched to 705 instead of 706 (rip)

-  Blue still has too much of a greenish tinge, and not pure/clear/light(?) enough for us

-  Cream is being kept from the initial first sample run.

A big part of this is that the paper guides can only emulate the plastic chips so much. My understanding is that this is due to how light interacts with the texture of each material, changing the “colour” to the eye. The factory has been using the paper guides, which I believe is likely the cause of this issue.

While both the samples match the advertised renders in certain lighting, we feel that the plastic chips look best in the widest range of lightings and are pushing for the keys to be matched to the chips for this reason.

To better enable this we’ve sent plastic colour sample chips to the factory. They’ve done a great job of matching what they had until now, so we expect this will allow for the next round of colour-matching to be the final one.

Production will likely be pushed to late November. Sorry for these delays, guys. I hadn’t properly compared the guides to the plastic until now; a pretty big oversight that’s my fault. Won't happen again if we do future sets :hey: 

TLDR: re-matching, will add a couple weeks into November

« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2022, 15:43:32 by Reebes »