Author Topic: Filco Majestouch-2 Cherry MX Red First Impressions  (Read 71607 times)

Offline nhwhaup

Filco Majestouch-2 Cherry MX Red First Impressions
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 19:53:10 »
Okay so if I don't bottom out then would the reds be louder or quieter than the browns?  I can type pretty well on the browns with no bottoming out.  Now on the topres I find it hard to type fast and not bottom out plus I feel they definitely have a heavier touch than the browns.  The reds definitely have the lightest touch, correct?  And if I don't bottom out then they wouldn't be any louder than the browns, would they?  Just curious.  I went ahead and ordered the Filco with the reds so I guess I'll find out.  Man I do have to stop buying keyboards.  This is the last one and I really mean it!
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline bytemeavaj

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 05:58:25 »
In my opinion, having both reds and browns, the reds are easier to prevent bottoming out and they are quieter than my browns.
I\'m a tool.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 18:46:43 »
DAMNIT MAN !!!    I thought I had it it settled that browns would be my next switch purchase.  Now I'm back to having to decide.  A few things here have got me thinking reds are the best choice ( can someone confirm or deny this understanding and logic ? )

I like the blues alot for typing.
I love the feel of the blacks but they feel too heavy to me now after typing on the blues for only a week or so.
I understand from many that the browns tactility is so light as to almost feel non existant (making it feel more like a gritty travel rather than click)
I play alot of FPS games mainly
I love the bottoming out sound (THWACK) of the above videos and the blacks I have.

So ...... Since I already have blues for the tactility which I like. I don't mind the click of the blues but like the fuller bottoming out CLACK a little better and the smoothness of the blacks.....

I should probably go with Reds....

Thoughts  ?

If I go read I'll want a Filco , but Amazon seems to only be offering it in black.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 October 2011, 19:14:45 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 19:35:51 »
You could grab a Red Rosewell before they sell out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201044
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline enoy21

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 19:54:22 »
I haven't seen all that much on the rosewill quality.   I just read a review from a couple of years ago. Is it still considered a better quality board comparable to Filco/WASD etc ?
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 22:56:31 »
I believe it's on par with a Filco. I've read people say they were happy with the quality. I personally want a Tenkeyless though so Filco or Ducky for me.

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/1129544-rosewills-available-newegg-most-switch-types.html
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline enoy21

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 07:47:27 »
I kind of agree there with the TKL.  That is why I had my eye on the Filco in browns rather than getting another one from WASD.  The quality of WASD is top notch but the TKL version won't be available until next year if sales go well , and the RED switches aren't available until December.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Clickey

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 08:37:39 »
Quote from: enoy21;424790
DAMNIT MAN !!!    I thought I had it it settled that browns would be my next switch purchase.  Now I'm back to having to decide.  A few things here have got me thinking reds are the best choice ( can someone confirm or deny this understanding and logic ? )

I like the blues alot for typing.
I love the feel of the blacks but they feel too heavy to me now after typing on the blues for only a week or so.
I understand from many that the browns tactility is so light as to almost feel non existant (making it feel more like a gritty travel rather than click)
I play alot of FPS games mainly
I love the bottoming out sound (THWACK) of the above videos and the blacks I have.

So ...... Since I already have blues for the tactility which I like. I don't mind the click of the blues but like the fuller bottoming out CLACK a little better and the smoothness of the blacks.....

I should probably go with Reds....

Thoughts  ?

If I go read I'll want a Filco , but Amazon seems to only be offering it in black.

I would not say browns feel gritty compared to blues. They feel smoother than blues, but the tactile bump is very faint. If you love to bottom out then you are probably hitting the keys too hard to feel the tactile bump in browns, so reds might suite you better. Amazon did not have any filco reds in the most recent 2 order cycles, so I wouldn't hold my breath on getting one there. You would probably have to go with TheKeyboardCo to get a Filco with reds or go with a non-filco.

I do not think the rosewills are equivalent to filcos anymore (if they ever were), but I have not tried one to know for sure. Most of the Rosewill products I have owned were the cheapo option, of that product, so I just can't see them making keyboards on par with the top notch brand.

Don't let Ripster see you using "TKL" to mean tenkeyless :nono:
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline N8N

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 08:39:31 »
It's odd, I never really used the numpad, but wasn't sure if I would miss it if it were gone, so all my purchases to this point have been 101/104 key boards.  Then when I started reading GH I decided to make the commitment to become a better typist so that I would actually get the most out of the shiny new keyboards that I was buying, and did a couple typing refresher courses.  One of them included a lesson on numpad use, and ever since then, I've found myself using the numpad more and more for anything involving more than 4-5 digits.  So now I think I really would miss the numpad, but I at the same time want to try a tenkeyless just because I never have, and would like to see if the closer positioning of the mouse is really that fantastic.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Clickey

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 08:46:59 »
You could try one of the DSI left handed boards, keep the numpad AND have a much closer mouse :wink:, but they only come with cherry blues and XM's.

Offline N8N

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 08:51:49 »
you mean this guy?

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/dsiblackusblefthandedkeyboardkb-ds-8861xpu-b-v2.aspx

looks interesting, but is it plate or PCB mount?  I'm assuming for the price it's PCB which could be good and bad.  If the PCB is better supported than it is in the Cherry boards I have (to minimize flex) that might be OK.  I'm also not a fan of the non-standard enter, backspace, and backslash/pipe...  I think the nav block on the left would be a real deal killer for me though, using it is ingrained in my muscle memory, much more so than the numpad.  Maybe what I really want is a tenkeyless and a separate numpad?
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Clickey

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 09:05:01 »
Yeah its cheaper here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSI-USB-Left-Handed-Keyboard-Cherry-Mechanical-Switch-/380349287687?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item588e958d07

Not sure if it is PCB or plate mounted. I know what you mean about the crappy feel of cherry pcb mounts though, but my SMK is pcb mounted and solid as a rock.

This thing has a detachable numpad/trackpad, but the F keys are also on the detachable part, it is the most Spartan board I have seen yet, pure alpha numeric.

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/dsibusinesskeyboardwithcherrymechanicalswitchesandtouchpaddck-101.aspx
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2011, 00:05:44 by Clickey »

Offline enoy21

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 11:19:32 »
Yeah I think I would be fine with a detachable 10 key if I needed it.  If nothing else I can keep it pushed out of the way.  Right now to be comfortable in game I end up moving my KB to the left , but then when I need to chat in game I'm in an awkward angle.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]