geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Smart Home/Home Automation thread

(1/4) > >>

nmur:
any of you guys have a serious smart home setup going?

i got an Echo Dot and a couple of Xiaomi Yeelights (really cheap) to test out and they're pretty cool

also have had Tasker running on my phone for a while, but it's not doing anything too special. turns on my wifi when i get home, and can turn on my pc via WoL when my home wifi connects, but i've disabled that at the moment as i don't always need it to turn on

tp4tissue:
i just want dem auto cooking robot arms..

but i mean, that's super dangerous.. because one broken servo, and it'd cut ur head off.. hahahaha

nmur:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:15:34 ---i just want dem auto cooking robot arms..

but i mean, that's super dangerous.. because one broken servo, and it'd cut ur head off.. hahahaha

--- End quote ---
the dangerous one I see is the smart door locks

super convenient if it works correctly, but one misconfiguration or edge case and you risk your house being unlocked for the whole day or something

perhaps better to use in conjunction with a deadlock

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: nmur on Sat, 06 May 2017, 08:12:33 ---
--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:15:34 ---i just want dem auto cooking robot arms..

--- End quote ---
the dangerous one I see is the smart door locks

super convenient if it works correctly, but one misconfiguration or edge case and you risk your house being unlocked for the whole day or something

perhaps better to use in conjunction with a deadlock

--- End quote ---

If some one wants to break in.. they go through windows..  why bother picking locks.

kmba:
I want to want more home automation, but I think most of the ideas are worthless to me.

MY wifi thermostat is awesome though.  Highly recommend one especially for the lazy. I'd like a smart washer/dryer that notify me when stuff is done.  I'm constantly forgetting about laundry.  However, I never forget my keys or to lock doors, so smart locks are stupid.

Smart sensors are a fine idea to replace older dumb alarm systems, monitor leaking/flooding, tell you if your house is on fire, or if your dog or baby escaped, etc.  Smart cameras too.

Smart outlets.. well.  They're 5-10x as expensive as an ordinary outlet timer, so I have trouble seeing the benefit.
Smart lights.. again, what's the benefit over a $4 timer?  oh they change coooooolors.  ooooo.
Smart fridge.. uhg.  I'm always out of everything and I don't need you reminding me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version