Author Topic: GMK Good Kid - under new management  (Read 45713 times)

Offline THRILLHOIAF

GMK Good Kid - under new management
« on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:25:26 »
GMK Good Kid

GMK Good Kid on TGR-ALICE
Base Kit+Icons+Novelties+Spacebars

About

Hey guys, THRILLHOIAF here with my first foray into GMK sets, just wanted to get some general feedback on the set that is inspired heavily by Kendrick Lamars album Good Kid M.A.A.D City.

Renders!

M65A
Base Kit

M65A

TOKYO60
Base Kit+Icons+Novelties

TOKYO60 - Macro closeup

M0110
Base Kit+Icons

RAMA U80-A
Base Kit+Novelties

Huge thanks to Janglad for his quick and speedy renders! they look effing awesome!

Here is the link to the Full Render Album

Massdrop Polls
REVISED Feedback Form
Kits

Base Kit

Icon Mods

Novelties (WIP)

Spacebars

Pricing

Quotes incoming for tentative set

To do List

• Kit Refining/Feedback
  • Novelty design if interest
  • Kit renders

All the other major stuff that comes with GB phase will be sorted out down the road if there's enough interest to warrant continuing the concept/idea
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 June 2021, 15:14:29 by THRILLHOIAF »

Offline dimo

Re: GMK Good Kid
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:27:25 »
Accent colors remind me of muted-- and they fit perfectly with the green.

IMO, since I think a lot of people would want to use both the purple and blue accent colors on their board at the same time (other than the only combination right now of purple esc, blue enter), an extra kit with purple spacebars would be nice.

I'd also personally kill any ideas for novelties since this base kit is going to get expensive real quick, especially with two accent colors.

Great job though!

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:37:41 by dimo »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:31:48 »
Looks great!

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:42:02 »

IMO, since I think a lot of people would want to use both the purple and blue accent colors on their board at the same time (other than the only combination right now of purple esc, blue enter), an extra kit with purple spacebars would be nice.

I'd also personally kill any ideas for novelties since this base kit is going to get expensive real quick, especially with two accent colors.

Great job though!

Yes good call!

I agree about the novelties too, I know novelties for GMK can kind of make or break a set, whether they're grouped with or apart. dont want a situation where the novelties not hitting MOQ kills it entirely.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:49:46 »
I'd just have to wait to see color samples b/c of the subtle pantones. 

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:20:05 »
green is fantastic, what color is it?

KMK Labs.

Offline dimo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:22:10 »

Great job though!

Yes good call!

I agree about the novelties too, I know novelties for GMK can kind of make or break a set, whether they're grouped with or apart. dont want a situation where the novelties not hitting MOQ kills it entirely.

I honestly doubt that will happen. The colors in this seat are so beautiful stand alone, that it makes up for the need for novelties to make the set "worth it"

We'll see but I think it'll work out

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:24:20 »
I'd just have to wait to see color samples b/c of the subtle pantones.

definitely, need to see some good traction on the set though to warrant getting color samples. computer screens reflect hex/pantone colors quite poorly. so the matching process on 5 custom colors will be quite pricey if I'm getting 2/3 alternates/close matches to get the perfect representation of the renders!

so yah! tell your friends about the set :D

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:28:15 »
green is fantastic, what color is it?

KMK Labs.

color hex is #3F5C58 which is the hex I pulled for Pantone 5477c
Think the guidebook is a bit darker so would probably end up being a different pantone, but yah thats the E-version of pantone 5477C :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:00:29 »
I bet that green would look really good on the M65-a sage case too :)

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 14:07:36 »
Really really really lovely colors here!
Count me in for sure if the samples turn out representative of the render.

I'm not a huge fan of alternating f-row colors, but I can live with it. Maybe consider a spacebar kit so you can move the R4 2.25u blank in there? As well as include purple/blue spacebars?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 14:42:40 »
I bet that green would look really good on the M65-a sage case too :)

You've read my mind  :)) :thumb:

KMK Labs

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 15:45:28 »
On the suggestion of another user,

provided an alternate look of the set but with Burgundy alphas instead of white.

Added to feedback form

ooh... can you maybe try the blue alphas and purple accents.?

p.s. you posted the wrong pic :P

Editing on a phone is hard haha

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:21:51 by THRILLHOIAF »

Offline dimo

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 16:07:01 »
On the suggestion of another user,

provided an alternate look of the set but with Burgundy alphas instead of white.

Added to feedback form

Show Image

ooh... can you maybe try the blue alphas and purple accents.?

p.s. you posted the wrong pic :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 16:10:02 by dimo »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 16:30:32 »
It's got green in it, so ofc I dig it. I saw on the reddit post you were looking for a vendor to run it maybe. Hit me up down the road if gets that far and I might have space for it.

Offline dimo

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 18:49:13 »
It's got green in it, so ofc I dig it. I saw on the reddit post you were looking for a vendor to run it maybe. Hit me up down the road if gets that far and I might have space for it.

Are you working on fixing the issues with the phantom gb related to the website being down, etc.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:07:05 »

Are you working on fixing the issues with the phantom gb related to the website being down, etc.

Website is up currently with occasional outages. No work can be done on it until payments are in because it'll be offline for a few weeks for a rework.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:23:30 »

Oh wow that'd be awesome! I will keep you in mind as I further this lil concept I have going on!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:15:03 »
Do spacebar kits hit MOQ these days? Would be nice to see one of those. 40% is always welcome, too.

Would anyone be interested in buying both alpha kits? I've heard that GMK doesn't run alpha kits with different legends, but not sure if they run with just different colors. I feel like burgundy might make a nice secondary alpha kit.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:28:54 »
Do spacebar kits hit MOQ these days? Would be nice to see one of those. 40% is always welcome, too.

Would anyone be interested in buying both alpha kits? I've heard that GMK doesn't run alpha kits with different legends, but not sure if they run with just different colors. I feel like burgundy might make a nice secondary alpha kit.

Spacebars tend to hit MOQ without too much struggling. 40% kit and alpha kits tend to have a good bit of struggling and in many cases do not hit MOQ, often causing those who placed orders containing the failed kits to cancel their order entirely, hurting the base kit numbers.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:42:43 »

realistically breaking things down into super small kits like SA sets do probably wont fly with GMK due to their high MOQ's. best to do the major base kit, and the vey small novelty/separate spacebars kit.

I'm also leaning heavily to going with the burgundy alphas as the white alphas make the set WAY too similar to GMK Camping

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:43:22 »
 :thumb:the modifier is dark green ,am I right?
awesome.
If base legend use the same dark green ,would it be a better color combo?

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:54:14 »
awesome.

I think I'm reading you right, this would be the kind of look to it

a bit too hard to read for my books.

Offline dimo

GMK Good Kid
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:55:40 »

I believe phantom hit MOQ for a spacebar kit, and this set is much more likely to hit MOQ because I think the necessity of having a purple colored spacebar is more important than it was with phantom in this case

Offline dimo

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:58:41 »

realistically breaking things down into super small kits like SA sets do probably wont fly with GMK due to their high MOQ's. best to do the major base kit, and the vey small novelty/separate spacebars kit.

I'm also leaning heavily to going with the burgundy alphas as the white alphas make the set WAY too similar to GMK Camping

can you try the blue alphas *.*

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:03:42 »
Just saw the novelties, and I now realize I need this set to be successful just so I can have "Yawk" keys haha.

Not a huge fan of purple alphas. Have you tried changing the legend color on the white alphas from black to the dark green?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:05:32 »
awesome.

I think I'm reading you right, this would be the kind of look to it

Show Image

a bit too hard to read for my books.

thank you for clarifying that  , I get that.

Offline dimo

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:07:17 »
Just saw the novelties, and I now realize I need this set to be successful just so I can have "Yawk" keys haha.

Not a huge fan of purple alphas. Have you tried changing the legend color on the white alphas from black to the dark green?

This too. Not many gmk legends in this format use black legends (jtk does)

Choosing the purple as legend colors might be alright too.

But green would be the best option

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:14:40 »
Also, instead of "man down" for the novelty, would you consider "brace yourself", which is also from the same song.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:21:13 »

Definitely not a good idea to try SP style kits with GMK due to their higher MOQs and their higher per-ket base fees. Best idea is to keep a decent sized base kit with a couple small child kits at best, such as spacebar and novelty.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:26:23 »

it looks OK actually, but the theme is totally lost for me with the blue alphas. it looks good don't get me wrong, but the FEEL of the set is lost. if that makes sense. will post a KLE tomorrow when I got time to kill at work. eyes a bit burnt out today :D

with green legend color its literally just GMK Camping with cyan/purple alternate mod highlights

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:28:30 »
Also, instead of "man down" for the novelty, would you consider "brace yourself", which is also from the same song.

thats a good one too. I was also thinking maybe, DRINK

different song but fits in as an ENTER/RETURN novelty also

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:31:24 »

"Pour up"

And I agree, wasn't thinking about gmk camping when I made the suggestion

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:34:39 »

"Pour up"

in my dream scenario, every modifier is just replaced with the hook for swimming pools :D

and no worries about the GMK Camping comparison, sorry if I sounded short, I meant no offense :)

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:46:14 »

"Pour up"

in my dream scenario, every modifier is just replaced with the hook for swimming pools :D

and no worries about the GMK Camping comparison, sorry if I sounded short, I meant no offense :)
Let's just go halfsies on a swimming pools child mod kit. That should be what, $4000 a piece from you and I? It would be sick if there was actually enough interest to hit MOQ for a mod kit like that.

And no worries dude, all goood.

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:02:47 »
the set already has tons of keys...

but let me be that numpad person and mention how useful the double zero (00) key is for lots of good numpads... as well as some keyboards, such as the Vortex ViBE
keyboards

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:11:12 »
"Backspace" looks better on the 1.5u and 1.75u backspace keys than the big arrow, imo.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:12:21 »
the set already has tons of keys...

but let me be that numpad person and mention how useful the double zero (00) key is for lots of good numpads... as well as some keyboards, such as the Vortex ViBE

true story I actually had a double zero key in the original base kit but took it out cause I thought nobody would want it :D will add it to my work order as this progresses!

"Pour up"

Let's just go halfsies on a swimming pools child mod kit. That should be what, $4000 a piece from you and I? It would be sick if there was actually enough interest to hit MOQ for a mod kit like that.

And no worries dude, all goood.

I would have to put out a massive ad campaign on every kendrick lamar subreddit, instagram page, hiphopheads, everything to try get enough buyers to make that a reality.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 01:35:47 »
Really slick set!

Have you experimented with all black legends even on modifiers/accents? Seem to fit more in line with the aesthetic in my head but I don't know how it'd turn out.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline mast3rwanderer

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 02:58:27 »
Toss in a 'Don't Kill My Vibe' novelty Enter key or something, and I'm game.  Love seeing hip hop inspired cap sets! Hoping to see more.  :thumb:

Offline holan791

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 04:14:48 »
Let do it with icon mod, bro.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 05:36:55 »
I like the original idea, I do not like the shades of red and green together

KMK Labs.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 11:04:44 »
If a second alpha kit is infeasible nowadays, I think the white alphas look better and have more universal appeal. But the IC poll will decide.

The similarity to Camping isn't that strong IMO.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:13:21 »
Really really really lovely colors here!
Count me in for sure if the samples turn out representative of the render.

I'm not a huge fan of alternating f-row colors, but I can live with it. Maybe consider a spacebar kit so you can move the R4 2.25u blank in there? As well as include purple/blue spacebars?

Really slick set!

Have you experimented with all black legends even on modifiers/accents? Seem to fit more in line with the aesthetic in my head but I don't know how it'd turn out.

If a second alpha kit is infeasible nowadays, I think the white alphas look better and have more universal appeal. But the IC poll will decide.

The similarity to Camping isn't that strong IMO.

Hey guys so fortunately I had time to kill this morning at work, between watching World Cup and fooling around with KLE.

I must say, I think as a whole each color, the cyan, green and burgundy/purple could easily all represent as the alphas

that being said, I added my notes on my personal opinion on each variety.

The colors to me have to resonate with the theme of GKMC

Alternates 1

Alternates 2

So yeah in case the notes don't translate well,

Alternates 1 image:
Top Left: cyan alphas look good! I think individually each color (green, cyan, burgundy/purple) could act as alphas) but I think the theme is lost the most with the cyan alphas

Bottom Left: the current iteration I intend to go with, with which I've requested quotes on from GMK, I truly think the burgundy.purpler alphas nail the aesthetic and theme that I'm trying to go for, while standing apart from the norm of colors, remaining legible, and really nailing the theme that the set is based on

Top Right: All black legends on alphas and mods, looks ok, but again I'm leaning heavily away from the white alphas. The black is a little TOO plain for the set. just too generic looking

Bottom Right: is the green legends on the og alphas. I know it literally isn't a carbon copy of Camping. but to me it still is the camping aesthetic of green and white (cream in campings case)

Alternate 2:

Top Left and Bottom Right: This is the OG alphas but with the mod/highlight colors as legend colors.... kinda cheapens the set. loses its theme IMO

Top Right and Bottom Right: again just illustrating how the aesthetic of GMK Camping (for me anyways) is too apparent in green on white alphas.

Conclusion:

Its a tough pick because right now all the feedback I've received has been a 50/50 split on burgundy or white alphas. with most saying the burgundy still looks great, but what they're really in for is the novelties hahah

so its wtv, I'm leaning HEAVILY on the burgundy alphas, i think it looks ****ing sick and rocks the GKMC vibe.

I'm due to receive renders from GMK for the burgundy alphas base kit, spacebars kit and a novelties kit so I'll pitch another IC about to get more feedback and we'll go from there!

Regardless I'm not in a rush as there are a **** ton of GMK GB's and IC's in progress so it isn't the worst thing to take my time with this one :)

Thanks guys for all the feedback and help figuring this one out :)

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:12:38 »
Definitely think that the burgundy fits the GMKC vibe the best. Personally wouldn't consider the others I like the burg so much.

Offline garbo

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:37:39 »
To throw my opinion on the pile: I'd buy what's rendered in the original post, but not the alternatives.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 11:56:28 »
Is it just us or are the forum images not working for us? (And your website too)

White alphas are very nice, the purple ones really do add for some contrast but will not hit everyones liking!
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:54:58 »
Is it just us or are the forum images not working for us? (And your website too)

White alphas are very nice, the purple ones really do add for some contrast but will not hit everyones liking!

It's something about imgur and some ISP's at the moment. I can only view some https url's, but the ones that don't do work through a proxy. Is weird.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:57:43 by Oblotzky »

Offline Lormania

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 21:25:21 »
Maybe make a novelty enter key that is purple but has the minivan on it? Love the colors so far!

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 21:53:47 »
I like the minivan idea! Love the first image colorway, definitely interested. Still unsure about the novelties but I would probably get it even without.