Author Topic: Filco Majestouch + Ducky Thick PBT Keycaps - Having Issue With Backspace Keycap  (Read 3047 times)

Offline shoehornhands

I purchased a set of Ducky thick PBT keycaps to replace the stock keycaps on a Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL. The majority of the Ducky keycaps were a breeze to install, and fit perfectly. The only exception is backspace, which appears to be catching on the front side of the keycap. If I press it straight down, it meets a hard resistance before bottoming out. To get the key to bottom out, I can either press down significantly harder at the point of resistance, or shift the keycap slightly toward me (which appears to route the keycap around the obstruction, making it go down smoothly).

I have the plastic stabilizer inserts oriented the same way they were with the stock keycaps (with the slightly longer / extended side pointing toward the back side of the keycap). This is the same way I have them oriented with the spacebar, enter and shift keys as well (and they all fit perfectly).

Anyway, I’ve been using mechanical keyboards for a couple of years now, but this is my first keycap upgrade (i.e. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to keycaps).

Does anybody know what might be causing this / the best way to fix it? My first inclination would be that the Ducky keycaps are simply too thick, but it seems a bit odd to me that only one key would be too thick / every other key fits perfectly (unless it's some sort of manufacturing defect / tolerance issue).

Thanks

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Yes, it is a combination of being OEM profile and thick that interferes with costar stabilizers. For example, thick cherry profile keys wouldn't have an issue. Various users have reported the issue you are encountering, albeit on different stabilized keys, so tolerances do seem to play a factor as well.

Ducky uses cherry stabilizers so it would not affect their own boards. Cherry profile thick keys would also not have an issue with the costar stabs. The only resolution (other than not using the key) would be the sand down the material a bit so it no longer catches.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline shoehornhands

Darn, I was hoping I was just missing something / doing something stupid, and it would be a quick / simple fix. After reading your reply, I spent a few minutes searching for info on sanding down the inside of keycaps and came across this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65303.0

That pretty much coincides with what you said as well. It makes me a bit nervous to sand down the keycap (worried I’ll end up butchering it), but it sounds like it’s the best option / should solve the problem.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the info. It's much appreciated.

Offline shoehornhands

In case anybody is interested / comes across a similar problem, I ended up with a pretty simple solution.

I was getting ready to sand down the inside of the cap, and in trying to gauge exactly where the keycap was hitting, noticed that the curved part of the stabilizer was protruding out more as the stabilizer was raised (i.e. the position it’s in when latched onto the keycap / plastic inserts).

I removed the two plastic inserts from the bottom of the keycap, laid the stabilizer down flat, stuck the keycap on like any other non-stabilized key, and it fits / functions perfectly (i.e. the stabilizer is only in the way of the keycap when raised / hooked onto the keycap).

Given that the only key causing a problem was the backspace (which happens to be the smallest stabilized key), it doesn’t seem to make much difference if the stabilizer isn’t used.

I’m not sure if there are significant differences from one keyboard to another / one keycap set to another, or if the backspace key is typically the only problem (e.g. I’d imagine this isn’t a particularly ideal solution if your spacebar doesn’t fit correctly).

If you’re having an issue with the smaller stabilized keys though, it’s something to try.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 March 2016, 15:42:42 by shoehornhands »