Author Topic: "lowering" the profile of a spacebar keycap  (Read 3963 times)

Offline TioSolid

"lowering" the profile of a spacebar keycap
« on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 06:06:58 »
Hi everyone! I have a very nice spacebar that I want to use in a project with my noppoo mini keycaps, but the noppoo keycaps are a bit "lower" than the spacebar I have (considering the same row in this case). I cant use the original noppoo keycap since the spacebar is shorter (the new keyboard has a normal sized spacebar).

My question is: How could I lower the profile of the keycap I have so it can fit better among the other keys from the same row? Would sanding be an option? If yes, what would be the best way to do that? How would one sand the internal part of the spacebar (the holes)?

Thanks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: "lowering" the profile of a spacebar keycap
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 06:10:01 »
I always like to think anything is possible but I don't know of anyway to do what you want and get good results.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 06:12:44 »
I believe much depends on the stem housing depth. If higher profile spacebars have a deeper housing, your chances of success are actually high, otherwise you'll end up with a suspended spacebar.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 08:39:02 »
You might be able to go on the underside of the cap and reduce the height of the mounts to lower the cap. Check out the top part of this data sheet:

http://keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/MountStyles.pdf
REΛLFORCE

Offline TioSolid

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:08:59 »
I believe much depends on the stem housing depth. If higher profile spacebars have a deeper housing, your chances of success are actually high, otherwise you'll end up with a suspended spacebar.
Thats exactly what I have. Its a WASD keycap, if that helps.

You might be able to go on the underside of the cap and reduce the height of the mounts to lower the cap. Check out the top part of this data sheet:

http://keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/MountStyles.pdf

Yep, my keycap has the recessed mount, I just cant think of a way to reduce its size without destroying the entire mount :/

I will probably try to do a small dremel job and then sand the outer part of the keycap with sandpaper so that the keycap doesn't hit the mount plate of the keyboard
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 January 2017, 09:10:54 by TioSolid »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 13:41:55 »
If you have different manufacturers spacebars, you can try and measure their stem housing depth with a needle or something. If there's a significative difference, you might wanna give it a go, otherwise you shouldn't risk.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline mrvco

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 22:07:34 »
I'd find an extra space bar cap or two and experiment with the dremel.