Author Topic: hi from nyc  (Read 1382 times)

Offline d0wngrade

hi from nyc
« on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 14:48:56 »
Hi y'all. I guess I'm new here, been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to introduce myself. I got into the hobby with the Keychron K2, and I'm trying to decide where to start with building my own sometime down the line.

Offline Maledicted

Re: hi from nyc
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 10:44:45 »
Hi d0wngrade. Welcome to Geekhack.

I have heard good things about Keychron. How do you like it?

What switches have you tried? Which do you like?

Offline d0wngrade

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:43:11 »
I like the Keychron K2 so far, but wish it was a bit quieter. I put some o-rings on it to dampen the sound, but I might need to put some foam on the inside eventually to make it quieter.

So far I've only used MX Browns in the K2. I've been collecting switches to test. I like heavier switches like the Kailh Box Black and the 67g Zilent V2. I'm still new, though, so I've only had a chance to try out a few switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:47:42 by d0wngrade »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 13:35:56 »
I like the Keychron K2 so far, but wish it was a bit quieter. I put some o-rings on it to dampen the sound, but I might need to put some foam on the inside eventually to make it quieter.

So far I've only used MX Browns in the K2. I've been collecting switches to test. I like heavier switches like the Kailh Box Black and the 67g Zilent V2. I'm still new, though, so I've only had a chance to try out a few switches.

Someone who knows more than I do about all of that silencing stuff (I'm a clicky guy so my philosophy is the louder, the better) recently said that ping can be the result of a switch's springs as well, and that lubing them can help. I read that people put their keyboards on specialized mats as well.

Just linears and tactiles so far then? I imagine you wouldn't even like bassy clickies if sound is a major concern.

Kailh's box linears are pretty nice. As much as I love the box design for their thick clicks, I think run-of-the-mill Gaterons may be just a bit smoother though. Their yellows are a nice mid weight switch between red and black. People seem to rave about their ink switches, and they do make a silent black ink, if you're interested in that.

Offline d0wngrade

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:29:34 »
Thanks! I'll have to check out those switches when I get a chance to. I'm also considering a desk mat to help with the sound. Kinda nervous about taking switches apart, but it makes sense that the springs would result in a lot of the noise.

Also, yeah, clickies are definitely not my thing, and my partner would hate the sound of them even more.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:53:28 »
Thanks! I'll have to check out those switches when I get a chance to. I'm also considering a desk mat to help with the sound. Kinda nervous about taking switches apart, but it makes sense that the springs would result in a lot of the noise.

Also, yeah, clickies are definitely not my thing, and my partner would hate the sound of them even more.

MX switches are dead simple inside, and I don't believe that they can be put back together wrong, besides not putting parts back in, which you'll notice right away. You'll do fine.