Blue legends on White caps
61 (5.7%)
White legends on Black caps
72 (6.7%)
White legends on Red caps
32 (3%)
White legends on Blue caps
40 (3.7%)
Other colours (specified in the comment field)
35 (3.2%)
Blanks (no legends)
122 (11.3%)
Black legends on Grey caps
59 (5.5%)
White legends on Grey caps
31 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 346

Author Topic: Keycaps  (Read 414048 times)

Offline jacobolus

Re: Keycaps
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 04:39:33 »
If I want to get a bunch of the new-shape keycaps (2.5x1.5 spacebar, 1x.75 keys, etc.) in blank PBT to play around with, should I just send an email, or will those be available through a retail channel, or...?

Offline danielh

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:49:26 »
Any chance of Mac-Dvorak keycaps for the Laptop Pro? With all those lovely extra-characters (ø©ç®ƒπ†∂µ∫≈˚œ∆) as well?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:04:38 »
Looking forward to PBT keycaps! But I guess there is no way the legend with match the actual keys on my KBP V60 unless I go with all blank keycaps. :(
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 12:49:31 »
Where can I find Matias keycaps? I can't find it on matias.ca.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:02:41 »

I'd love to know myself. AFAIK, they still haven't been released.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:05:46 »

I'd love to know myself. AFAIK, they still haven't been released.
I mean the ABS ones, not the PBT ones. I think Matias ABS keycaps has been released. I see them on The Keyboard Company's website but not on Matias website.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:07:54 »
I mean the ABS ones, not the PBT ones. I think Matias ABS keycaps has been released. I see them on The Keyboard Company's website but not on Matias website.

I didn't even realize there were some on the Keyboard Company's site. Too bad they're in ISO/UK layout. I don't have any idea where *any* ANSI Matias keycaps are.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 13:33:08 »

I didn't even realize there were some on the Keyboard Company's site. Too bad they're in ISO/UK layout. I don't have any idea where *any* ANSI Matias keycaps are.

I ordered some spacebars directly by emailing them.  As far as I know they only have blanks atm.

Info --> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45483.msg1578799#msg1578799
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 14:12:15 »

I ordered some spacebars directly by emailing them.  As far as I know they only have blanks atm.

Thank you! I guess this mean I have to constantly keep an eye on Matias to know when PBT keycaps are comming.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:32:37 »
http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp

Matias I have a question. I see Keyboard Co now has keycaps for sale but it's in pounds and out of the UK. Will the Matias site has keycap sets for sale soon for those of us in the USA?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:39:34 »

Thank you! I guess this mean I have to constantly keep an eye on Matias to know when PBT keycaps are comming.

Yep.  That's what I'm doing.  Was really hoping the PBT + ABS sets would be available at the same time.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 02:34:21 »
Is a full set of (thick?) PBT keycaps from Matias a thing that is actually going to happen? Does it depend on the outcome of the 60% group buy with the volume upgrades? What's the status? Timeline?

More options for keycaps is only going to increase demand for the switches.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:25:18 »
Is a full set of (thick?) PBT keycaps from Matias a thing that is actually going to happen? Does it depend on the outcome of the 60% group buy with the volume upgrades? What's the status? Timeline?

More options for keycaps is only going to increase demand for the switches.
I am also curious about this. Could Matias give an answer?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:54:09 »

Can confirm. I just ordered a full set of white with black legends this way last week, Steve was very helpful and the transaction went smoothly. The ordering process through their website is a little weird since they don't have caps listed in the store, but it worked and my keycaps are on their way.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 23:19:38 »
Thanks for all the interest in this.  Update below...

We have black caps and white caps available now, with legends and blanks.  The Keyboard Company is already selling them.  We held off listing them until we had balance bars in stock.  They should be on our online store soon -- but if you don't want to wait, you can call and order over the phone.

Regarding PBT, we hope to start tooling next month.  We've also got a printing jig design about 90% done, so that we can do dyesub printing.

Finally, we've spoken with Signature Plastics about getting some of their doubleshot caps ordered and kept as regular stock. They're preparing samples and will quote us soon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 06:39:09 »
I love you Matias

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 07:56:34 »
This is really great news!

Does this mean the profile for the PBTs is not yet finalized? The reason I ask is that if you're getting DCS doubleshots the profile will already be slighty different to your lasered ABS caps, so you might as well have another different profile for the PBTs. I happen to think a lower profile with sharper edges, similar to GMK/Cherry or Leopold,  would be really nice.

Offline Matias

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 09:09:17 »
Does this mean the profile for the PBTs is not yet finalized? The reason I ask is that if you're getting DCS doubleshots the profile will already be slighty different to your lasered ABS caps, so you might as well have another different profile for the PBTs. I happen to think a lower profile with sharper edges, similar to GMK/Cherry or Leopold,  would be really nice.

The profile is essentially the same as our current keycaps.  We wanted to be able to mix them without conflict.

Also, we spent a long time getting the surface curve just right (months), so that the tips of your fingers sit comfortably.

For other profiles, we're hoping to work with SP to fill that gap.

I love you Matias

:)

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 12:35:46 »
Awesome! Can't wait to see those PBT caps! BTW, since Matias is using dye sub for legends, does it mean black caps will not have legends that have easily visible colors (like white)?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 12:44:49 »
Awesome! Can't wait to see those PBT caps! BTW, since Matias is using dye sub for legends, does it mean black caps will not have legends that have easily visible colors (like white)?

That's a detail we'll be working out once the tooling is done.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 13:16:28 »
In that case I'm hoping for the following five options in pbt:
White on black laser/infill.
Black on black dyesub, barely visible but extremely badass-looking.
Blank black.
Black on white dyesub
Blank white.

And I think cor sure id get a set of the black-on-black.

Offline Matias

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 00:06:50 »
In that case I'm hoping for the following five options in pbt:
White on black laser/infill.
Black on black dyesub, barely visible but extremely badass-looking.
Blank black.
Black on white dyesub
Blank white.

And I think cor sure id get a set of the black-on-black.

Okay, I've set up a poll to get people's preferences for new caps.  Please vote and include any additional colour details in the box.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 08:39:40 »
Am I dumb? Where is the poll.  I convinced myself that I absolutely must have some new caps for my Dell at101w witch will shortly have Matias switches :)

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline nanook_the_great

• Give me all your left shift
« Reply #223 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 10:50:07 »
Dye sub legends on Thick PBT is best PBT

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 12:21:32 »
Matias! This is awesome news.

Having some more modern choices for Alps mount keycaps will hopefully get more people using Matias switch boards and Alps boards!

Also, thick dyesubbed PBT is the only way to go!

Offline jevvix

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:18:20 »
Voted for the two classics: thick PBT/dye sub and ABS two shot.
Will you be producing the 'big-ass enter' or stabilizers for these?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:13:57 »
Will you be producing the 'big-ass enter' or stabilizers for these?
Seems highly unlikely; if you’re looking for replacement keycaps for an existing keyboard, note that there are about 6 different stabilizer setups for historical Alps big-ass enter keys, so even if there were to be some made, it’s very likely it wouldn’t fit your specific keyboard.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:23:47 »
What about Dolch colors?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:32:52 »
What about Dolch colors?

Dolch colors would be amazing!!!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:18:09 »
Looks like my 2 choices were the top 2 overall. Nice to know I'm thinking with the majority I guess???

I also had to throw a comment in there about a 6U spacebar for Infinity Hacker layouts.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:19:12 »
How am I not seeing this poll?  Am I blind?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:20:01 »
How am I not seeing this poll?  Am I blind?

It's at the top of the page. You're not on mobile, are you?

My boards:
More

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:29:48 »
Indeed I am.  Do polls not show on mobile (Tapatalk)?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:32:14 »

I didn't see it on Tapatalk so I got out my laptop and it's right there at the top. So I guess no, they don't work on Tapatalk.

My boards:
More

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:33:50 »
Fair enough though that's lame.  Ironically I do most of my posting from my phone.  I guess I'm technically typing on a keyboard though, lol

Offline ishpeck

• Life without MX Blues is no kind of life at all.
    • The Ishpeckian Network
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:48:01 »
0:=λfx.x

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:18:17 »

I didn't see it on Tapatalk so I got out my laptop and it's right there at the top. So I guess no, they don't work on Tapatalk.

You could just open the page in a mobile browser, and do it that way also.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 01:36:11 »
Thoughts:

I see "white on blue" and "white on red" as almost "ornamental" -- I can see people getting a WASD cluster, an Esc, or a Fn key with them, but not necessarily a whole board worth.

I saw the mention of Signature Plastics, but have you reached out to Tai Hao, our of curiosity?  We know they did the doubleshots on a lot of classic ALPS boards.  Looking at the PC Tactile Pro, only a few keys would require customization (Fn, possibly the 1x Windows key, the 1x numpad tab, the higher row Num Lock, and the media keys, possibly the space bar) from their standard offerings (as seen on, say, Focus and Northgate boards)
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Matias

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 03:27:59 »
Thoughts:

I see "white on blue" and "white on red" as almost "ornamental" -- I can see people getting a WASD cluster, an Esc, or a Fn key with them, but not necessarily a whole board worth.

Thanks, if there are more opinions on this, I'd be interested to hear details.  For some reason, the comment field on the form is not visible to me.  Not sure what's happening.

I saw the mention of Signature Plastics, but have you reached out to Tai Hao, our of curiosity?  We know they did the doubleshots on a lot of classic ALPS boards.  Looking at the PC Tactile Pro, only a few keys would require customization (Fn, possibly the 1x Windows key, the 1x numpad tab, the higher row Num Lock, and the media keys, possibly the space bar) from their standard offerings (as seen on, say, Focus and Northgate boards)

We've haven't spoken to Tai Hao yet, but we will.  I suspect their MOQ requirements are higher.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 14:11:46 »
Thoughts:

Thanks, if there are more opinions on this, I'd be interested to hear details.  For some reason, the comment field on the form is not visible to me.  Not sure what's happening.

If you can carry DCS doubleshots in stock, that makes group-buys such as this one that much more compelling. This in turn negates some of the need for you to supply coloured sets.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 01:55:37 »
I love you Matias

Amen.

Yes. This news made my day. I would like to give you a great big hug.

What about Dolch colors?
Mind.Blown.  :eek:
Want. Give it to me now.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 02:03:36 »
I also had to throw a comment in there about a 6U spacebar for Infinity Hacker layouts.

I second this motion. That would be really great. I hope the infinity boards entice more folks to try Matias switches. The kit seems to encourage trying things out : building a first board, trying new layouts... Maybe the 6U would be part of their explorations. I'd buy em  :thumb:
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline dante

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 07:57:53 »
Voted...

Whatever you decide - make it thick daddy! :)

Offline Matias

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:59:02 »
Thanks for the suggestions...

I'll see what I can do about Dolch.  We're doing a 6.25u spacebar, but I assume that the Massdrop guys found a source for a 6u.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:09:20 »
I second this motion. That would be really great. I hope the infinity boards entice more folks to try Matias switches. The kit seems to encourage trying things out : building a first board, trying new layouts... Maybe the 6U would be part of their explorations. I'd buy em  :thumb:
Do note, folks, that with the keycaps we’re talking about here, the left shift and return caps (which need stabilizers) are not going to work on the current versions of the Infinity keyboard, because the keycap stabilizer inserts are incompatible. [The spacebar should be fine though, or all the unstabilized keys.]

If you’re looking for replacement left shift or return keycaps for the current versions of the Infinity keyboard, Signature Plastics is the only game in town.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:56:44 »

I'll see what I can do about Dolch.  We're doing a 6.25u spacebar, but I assume that the Massdrop guys found a source for a 6u.

Probably Signature Plastics. AFAIK the Massdrop 6U spacebar is DSA-only. It would be awesome to get one in a curved profile.

My boards:
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:27:13 »

And classic two tone black on beige  ;D
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:29:31 »

And classic two tone black on beige  ;D
That's also a great option! I am also interested in seeing that!

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline smeggysmeg

• thespecter.net
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 22:38:43 »
Lack of keycap options is my biggest disappointment in buying (well, pre-ordering) a Matias keyboard. The Ergo Pro is the first well-built and non-absurd ergonomic mechanical keyboard, in my eyes at least, but one of the big fun things about this niche market is keyboard customization.

I would love to see a Dolch color set in addition to some other color sets.
Ducky Zero (Browns)    |    Matias Ergo Pro   |   Dell AT101

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 23:23:44 »
If we get good quality black-on-white dyesubs, then those can later be dyed any color someone wants.