Author Topic: Hello fellow Geekhackers  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Hiroyuki

Hello fellow Geekhackers
« on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:02:16 »
Hi, my name is Henrik and I'm from Norway ^^
Kinda skipped making a post here before making posts on other parts of the forum, so I figured I'd make one now to introduce myself.
Almost finished my MSc. in electronics - so I figured I would need a "related" hobby. What a great excuse to splurge a great deal of money on a new keyboard!

Currently using a Corsair K90 keyboard *yikes, rubber dome and mechanical hybrid...* always disliked the mix of keys + never getting comfortable with linear reds... Sometimes i drag out my Sun Type 7 kb to do some programming and HDL design, but the rubber domes are awful.
So after some thinking I decided I wanted to create a board with the layout and switches that I want...

Which is:
Cherry MX Clears (Going to do an Ergo-clear mod)
Sun Unix Keyboard layout sans the left function key cluster with standard bottom row (It's basically more or less the same as a TK-version of the HHKB layout)
And if all sorts out it will go into a Gon NerD 108
(I will probably do a TKL-version after i graduate as well - but need replenishment of funds. I had no idea i would spend so much money on this project before I started...)
And spherical PBT keycaps... If only I could get something like a SA-version of Dolch in PBT for my peculiar layout then things would be perfect. Settling for blank DSAs for now though...
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:03:51 by Hiroyuki »

Offline Korth

Re: Hello fellow Geekhackers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 08:17:20 »
I do actually like the overall form factor and styling of the K90.  I have an unhealthy fixation on what Alibaba sometimes calls "suspension keyboard".  The K95 RGB variant is, to me, quite visually pleasing, even though the LEDs can't be centered on Cherry stems and happen to be notoriously unreliable.

I'm mildly disappointed that the left-side macro keys are obviously just a bolt-on.  Not a big deal, although I think it would look a bit nicer as a single-piece chassis.

But unfortunately it's Corsair.  And the Corsair branding is permanently engraved into the metal.  And it requires Corsair software to run properly.  Not for me.

I had never heard of Sun Unix keyboards before - but the ones with macros look like ideal layouts!  Very mod worthy, gut out those old domes and rusty electronics for some fresh Cherries, maybe some new paint ... such a beast would be perfect.

But, uh, welcome to GH.  I feel sorry for your wallet, lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:18:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

SA Dolch - now there's a thought!  Unfortunately only PMK makes SA keycaps, and they only make them in ABS, so PBT SA Dolch is somewhat out of the question.

But ABS SA Dolch - interesting ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 04:00:14 »
Hmm only in ABS... I see, maybe I just have to give up on that PBT dream then... But if a SA-dolch GB comes up in a few months I might be very interested, hehe. Hacked by geeks looks kinda sweet as well

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 04:34:58 »
Just out of curiosity, what prevents SP from using the ABS molds for PBT? Are there any technical problems with creating SA in PBT?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:26:19 by Hiroyuki »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:04:22 »
I have no idea, but I suspect PBT needs to be treated differently to ABS, and the SA equipment they have cannot cope with PBT.

Also PBT doubleshot is a new thing, and I don't think PMK are setup for that yet.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:04:13 »
Welcome to GH! Clears are the best mx! ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:28:37 »
Welcome to GH! Clears are the best mx! ;)

I'd like to try clears one day, maybe on my next MX keyboard.  Greens are my favourite MX switch at the moment.