Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 182160 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #400 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:47:00 »
We need a link in the OP something like

"TL;DR: Legends are in the corner. Skip to page 9 for further updates and discussion."

Or just quote the decision post by Oblotsky in the OP.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #401 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:12:55 »
I didn't even want to participate in this thread because there's so much cancer in it...but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

The point was not letting absurd notions pass unchallenged. Like this one: "Cherry's legends are an integral part of its identity."

Keycap shape and legend style are completely orthogonal properties. Period. The sooner people understand this, the sooner they will realize that corner legends on cylindrical keycaps is simply what they like (based, I believe, entirely on it being what they are used to), not what is inherently "right" or "natural" or "best". In this particular case it is merely what is common. And that is not always the best quality to base a creative (design) decision upon.

This.  So much this.

Saying that they should stick to corner legends because it would cost too much to make new molds for centered legends is perfectly reasonable and I don't think anyone even disputed that point.  But saying that they should stick to corner legends because it somehow wouldn't be Cherry profile if the legends were moved is completely insane.

Learn to think outside the box a little people.

And I made a render, and it looked like arse. Cherry made the right call. There are plenty of things where I stopped and asked "why is this done like that?" and if I disagreed, I changed it. E.g. Prt Sc legend and SysReq/Break sideprints are aweful, first thing I threw out when I made a GMK set. And now the same for Pg Dn turned Page Down etc. But alpha legend alignment was not one of those things.
I'm not trying to continue the debate, but I think you should qualify this statement. Something like, "I made a render and it looked like arse for Space Cadet", with which I'd agree. But your next sentence, "Cherry made the right call." makes it seem like a blanket statement that centered legends don't work on cylindrical profiles and I don't think that's accurate. I think it didn't look good for Space Cadet because of the secondary legends which just made the cap look crowded and messy.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #402 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:30:32 »
Alrighty then it's settled. I'm almost sad the discussion is done though since now i'm back to full hype mode which means the wait for this sets going to take extra long.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #403 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:38:14 »

Also, no one has mentioned text only arrow keys  :rolleyes:

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:53:43 »

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:55:24 by Oblotzky »

Offline zslane

« Reply #405 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:04:19 »
And I made a render, and it looked like arse.

Well, I don't agree with that assessment at all; I thought they looked pretty cool, actually. But I respect your decision to go with corner legends since this is your design/GB. And I still have every intention of buying the set. At the end of the day, I think this set is a neat idea regardless of where the legends are located. This is a good faith attempt to honor the original keyboard, and that's ultimately what I really care about here.

Offline blighty

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:09:01 »
Will the Nav Key legends be similar to these?

190175-0

(caps came off a Cherry G80-1000)
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #407 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:11:55 »

(Attachment Link)

You can check the legends in the base kit in the first post.

Offline blighty

« Reply #408 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:24:37 »

(Attachment Link)

You can check the legends in the base kit in the first post.

Ah, whoops.  Everything looks good from my house.  :) I'll have to keep a couple hundred earmarked for this buy when it drops.  Base kit, black text mods, spacebar kit, symbols kit, and possibly the text/icon kit if it becomes available (the int'l kit too if the numbers look low).  Hell, I'm almost tempted to build a preonic kit, but I know I'd never actually use the board...  LOL

Hopefully we'll see this go live in July (wishful thinking)  :thumb:
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:35:25 »
Just checking in again to whine about the iso options. Could something like this be possible...?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #410 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:37:56 »
Just checking in again to whine about the iso options. Could something like this be possible...?

Show Image

NORDE should cover it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:44:39 »

Show Image

NORDE should cover it

Oh yeh I know mate, I'm on about in the base set for people that don't want to spend money on a load of caps they arent going to use, whilst not having duplicates i.e. \| above right shift and to the right of left shift. Thanks anyway though

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #412 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:45:51 »

Show Image

Was like the first thing I saw :D. I'm a big fan of the legend choices you've had for you're sets, small changes like 'Return' instead of 'Enter' and 'Print' as opposed to 'Prt Sc' are great :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:48:35 by Kafka »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #413 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 13:06:36 »

Show Image

NORDE should cover it

Oh yeh I know mate, I'm on about in the base set for people that don't want to spend money on a load of caps they arent going to use, whilst not having duplicates i.e. \| above right shift and to the right of left shift. Thanks anyway though

split shift and the extra key near enter are accounted for, as well as iso enter
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #414 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 13:15:23 »

Show Image

NORDE should cover it

split shift and the extra key near enter are accounted for, as well as iso enter

Duplicate legends though

Offline saucybulgogi

« Reply #415 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 15:31:47 »
Hope this can run soon! Would love to put this on the blue Klippe I just received :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline garbo

« Reply #416 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 06:39:10 »
Bundling alphas into the ergopreonic kit may ultimately be the right call, but it does make it awkward for people who’d want to use the alternative blue ones. It becomes huge overkill just to fill in the bottom and sides of small ortho layouts.

I get that the grey alphas are integral to the set’s identity, but it would be interesting to see how the numbers would break down on the popularity between the two. I really like how it looks in monochromatic blue.

If they do stay, would there be any chance of getting planck coverage somehow else, say as as part of the potential 40% kit or in a pack of 1u blanks for misc. coverage?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #417 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 15:02:44 »
Bundling alphas into the ergopreonic kit may ultimately be the right call, but it does make it awkward for people who’d want to use the alternative blue ones. It becomes huge overkill just to fill in the bottom and sides of small ortho layouts.

I get that the grey alphas are integral to the set’s identity, but it would be interesting to see how the numbers would break down on the popularity between the two. I really like how it looks in monochromatic blue.

If they do stay, would there be any chance of getting planck coverage somehow else, say as as part of the potential 40% kit or in a pack of 1u blanks for misc. coverage?

i think he said he's working on a 40s kit somewhere

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #418 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 16:34:22 »

If I did the Ergopreonic kit like it was done in other drops so far without the alphas, that would indeed make it nice for people that only want to combine it with blue alphas. But for those looking to get it with gray, they'd end up paying 50$+ more than with the current setup as they have to purchase the entire base kit. And those that want to have both are also looking at a steep total, having to buy all three kits. The current setup is the best solution IMO.

Regarding planck/preonic with legends, I'll be creating a 40% kit for Minivan/Mechmini/JD40/JD45 and whatever first. If it doesn't need many keys to also have preonic covered with legends I'll add that, but if not there's still the blanks version through the Ergopreonic kit.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #419 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 16:38:28 »
I will buy 2 sets. Let's make it happen

Offline TechieWeirdo

« Reply #420 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 17:29:13 »
I'll buy two too... This is too tempting.
b o a r d s

Offline garbo

« Reply #421 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 18:15:51 »
If I did the Ergopreonic kit like it was done in other drops so far without the alphas, that would indeed make it nice for people that only want to combine it with blue alphas. But for those looking to get it with gray, they'd end up paying 50$+ more than with the current setup as they have to purchase the entire base kit. And those that want to have both are also looking at a steep total, having to buy all three kits. The current setup is the best solution IMO.

Regarding planck/preonic with legends, I'll be creating a 40% kit for Minivan/Mechmini/JD40/JD45 and whatever first. If it doesn't need many keys to also have preonic covered with legends I'll add that, but if not there's still the blanks version through the Ergopreonic kit.

Thanks. I can see how it would benefit the majority of users.

I don't really understand why GMK's pricing still seems to favour large inclusive kits for the big (Massdrop) groupbuys. Surely they would end up hitting the same MOQs/order totals if it were SP style with individual alpha/modifier/extension options... Is it really so much more expensive to sort and distribute the different combinations?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #422 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 18:54:44 »

Thanks. I can see how it would benefit the majority of users.

I don't really understand why GMK's pricing still seems to favour large inclusive kits for the big (Massdrop) groupbuys. Surely they would end up hitting the same MOQs/order totals if it were SP style with individual alpha/modifier/extension options... Is it really so much more expensive to sort and distribute the different combinations?

According to my communications with GMK, it seems that kits are done in separate runs by themselves, meaning that the fee for separating kits should be mostly attributed to setup costs for each run, as well as per-kit packaging.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #423 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 18:58:10 »
It would be out of reach for some of us that do not have shipping options from MD; but, the set is great. Good luck.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #424 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 23:52:55 »

Any more thought given to Greek front legends?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #425 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 02:54:26 »
In for base kit, black text, novelties, blue alphas.. $300 later rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline menuhin

« Reply #426 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 02:54:26 »
Damn... suddenly I want this real bad - for a 40% board.

Please let there be a non-MassDrop way to get this, otherwise, with the failure rate MD reaches Germany (for my personal experience), I may never get this set.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 13:57:09 »
After looking at the design of this set for a while, and comparing it to the original design, I do not like that the sublegends are all over the map with their stroke width. It seems as though they should all the the same stroke width at least, and possibly less bold than the main alpha characters. The consistency of legends is one of the appealing attributes of the original design.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #428 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 14:11:24 »
After looking at the design of this set for a while, and comparing it to the original design, I do not like that the sublegends are all over the map with their stroke width. It seems as though they should all the the same stroke width at least, and possibly less bold than the main alpha characters. The consistency of legends is one of the appealing attributes of the original design.

I absolutely agree! Those are work in progress. Only the Symbols (hands and roman numerals) are currently considered as possible final versions, the rest will be worked out in the coming weeks no worries. I should have mentioned this.

Offline johuu

« Reply #429 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 14:41:38 »
 :thumb: Voted on MD. Excited for the GB.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 21:47:25 »
hype

Offline FSund

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:10:17 »
I realize I'm pretty late to the discussion -- but has the legend color for the alphas ever been discussed?
They look like a bright/neon yellow on the original Space Caded board, but the GMK set is using an off-white.

I like getting as close to the inspiration as possible, so something like GE1, or a custom blend... At least a render, or preferrably a sample of that combination would be nice.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline romeo

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:17:54 »
count me in

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:23:43 »
Voted last week, hope to see this coming soon!
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 14:53:23 »
I realize I'm pretty late to the discussion -- but has the legend color for the alphas ever been discussed?
They look like a bright/neon yellow on the original Space Caded board, but the GMK set is using an off-white.

I like getting as close to the inspiration as possible, so something like GE1, or a custom blend... At least a render, or preferrably a sample of that combination would be nice.

I would prefer sticking to something like CP, since the base color will be the same as oblivion and that set turned out great color wise.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 14:57:08 »
Also, I think the yellow coloring might be due to discoloration, not necessarily the intended color of the legends.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline zslane

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 16:09:42 »
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Oblotzky is going for a "new-ish" look for the keycaps, not a "really old, and horribly yellowed" look.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #437 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 16:35:30 »
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Oblotzky is going for a "new-ish" look for the keycaps, not a "really old, and horribly yellowed" look.

++

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 19:07:38 »
Any word on how soon this will happen? There are still sets that MD has committed to run so I'm assuming sometime in the next 3 months? Does that sound about right?

Either way I gotta start saving up. Gunning for two sets of this. Looks fantastic.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 19:11:42 »
Any word on how soon this will happen? There are still sets that MD has committed to run so I'm assuming sometime in the next 3 months? Does that sound about right?

Either way I gotta start saving up. Gunning for two sets of this. Looks fantastic.

GMK Serika will run first, and then there will be at least a month pause. Not going to run two big GMK projects back to back. Q3 is a good estimate at the moment, will have something more concrete the closer we move to the second half of the year.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 19:12:45 »
Thanks for the update! Should give me time to get my finances in order.

Offline gnunin

« Reply #441 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 02:38:56 »
Fantastic looking set. Cant wait!

Offline Out_of_diplomacy

« Reply #442 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 10:35:46 »
It does look great indeed

Offline dmgm

« Reply #443 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 21:17:00 »
I know this is very late, did you consider additional side printing? The Original space cadet keyboard had greek letters side printed on keys, and a modifier to access the side printed modifier. If not I wonder whether transfers could be added to the keys after manufacture, would there be space? I assume a transfer would last as it would not need to be touched.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #444 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 06:38:39 »
I know this is very late, did you consider additional side printing? The Original space cadet keyboard had greek letters side printed on keys, and a modifier to access the side printed modifier. If not I wonder whether transfers could be added to the keys after manufacture, would there be space? I assume a transfer would last as it would not need to be touched.

this has been covered numerous times throughout the thread.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline romeo

« Reply #445 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 09:28:33 »
jumped on the hype train

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #446 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 08:31:05 »
Wow, that looks good. I didn't know Space Cadet would transfer well to Cherry profile.  :eek:

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #447 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 19:19:42 »
There are a number of keyboards out that have left hand 2 x 5 vertical "function" key cluster. It would be nice if the there were some more ways to leverage the Symbols keys in that cluster.

Right now you could map one cluster of greys (either the I-IV or the hands) to R1/R2 and then a cluster of blues to R4/R4 (assuming the rows of the F column stack align with R1 R2 R3 R4 R4) leaving a gap at R3. The R3 Pageup/down keys cold fill that gap if they are not already in use (and there is a 1u R3 Code key as well), but the symbol set itself is a bit lacking in R3 options.

If the blue cluster could be aligned with R3/R4 as well as R4/R4 it would open up the bottom R4 for 1u mods, though that would probably not be practical. Possibly just 2 blank R3 keys available in the Symbols set would at least give a simple option to fill the stack in a way that wouldn't trigger too much OCD.

Purely selfish since I just signed up for a board that has this particular cluster :-)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #448 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 19:26:51 »
There are a number of keyboards out that have left hand 2 x 5 vertical "function" key cluster. It would be nice if the there were some more ways to leverage the Symbols keys in that cluster.

Right now you could map one cluster of greys (either the I-IV or the hands) to R1/R2 and then a cluster of blues to R4/R4 (assuming the rows of the F column stack align with R1 R2 R3 R4 R4) leaving a gap at R3. The R3 Pageup/down keys cold fill that gap if they are not already in use (and there is a 1u R3 Code key as well), but the symbol set itself is a bit lacking in R3 options.

If the blue cluster could be aligned with R3/R4 as well as R4/R4 it would open up the bottom R4 for 1u mods, though that would probably not be practical. Possibly just 2 blank R3 keys available in the Symbols set would at least give a simple option to fill the stack in a way that wouldn't trigger too much OCD.

Purely selfish since I just signed up for a board that has this particular cluster :-)

TC-V3?  ;)

I've thought about that myself how to cover it. I might look into the Symbols kit again to see if it can cover macro columns better.

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #449 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 22:08:57 »

TC-V3?  ;)

I've thought about that myself how to cover it. I might look into the Symbols kit again to see if it can cover macro columns better.

Yep that's the one :-)

I do have nuclear data with the macro kit to cover it as it stands, but was trying to figure out a way to make space cadet work for it.

I am absolutely getting Space Cadet when you go live though, will look awesome on some board ;-)

I really love the left side Function stack, but so hard to properly populate with sculpted sets...
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 May 2018, 22:12:58 by dc_in_sf »