Author Topic: So about the classifieds...  (Read 32134 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: So about the classifieds...
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:43:56 »
Classifieds are turning into a testing waters circlejerk quickly.

I and many other members would appreciate some moderation on it.

Not only that but the members should know better by now.

Moose and Beast are old school members that know whats up, so quite frankly this immature, unnecessary propagation of drama is unexpected from them.

That being said, just because they are generally respected people, does not mean they shouldn't be taken action on.

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

Dude Beast just turned 12 he's not an "older" member. I don't see how this is relevant to anything either, THEY MADE A TRADE.
I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:44:35 »

Moose and Beast are old school members that know whats up, so quite frankly this immature, unnecessary propagation of drama is unexpected from them.

That being said, just because they are generally respected people, does not mean they shouldn't be taken action on.

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

Dude Beast just turned 12 he's not an "older" member. I don't see how this is relevant to anything either, THEY MADE A TRADE.

Wait... The_Beast is only 12? I can't trade with him... Sorry, Beast. Deal's off.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:44:55 »
how would people even know if you are trading in private?
obviously you are doing something wrong.

posting it in public is basically a giant middle finger to the public
"HEY IM SELLING THIS AWESOME ITEM TO THIS GUY, YOU CANT HAVE IT!"

just keep it to yourselves...

I think they know when I go

*What I got in the Mail today* [thread]

"SpamRay just sent me some meth, it tasted great"

I was wondering what that was!

Let me know if you need some for school!

Reported for attempting to deal drugs.

I thought he said math! :o

Hahahahaha, now I look like I sell drugs to kiddies :/

We know better or else you would have purchased a better keyboard by now with all the extra money :p

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:45:30 »

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

Wait... The_Beast is only 12? I can't trade with him... Sorry, Beast. Deal's off.

Oi Beast...want some Math?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:45:52 »
Can you guys stop spamming bull**** in here?  This is supposed to be a serious discussion thread.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:46:31 »

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

^^ +1

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:47:11 »
The fact that both of you are denying that there was any trolling involved in the post of those threads is ridiculous.

You wouldn't post a public thread with literally nothing to sell just to do a backdoor trade with one other member.

You're trolling and its not even clever. It's immature.

Kangaroo~
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:47:31 »
Can you guys stop spamming bull**** in here?  This is supposed to be a serious discussion thread.

Dude this entire thread is bull****
I love Elzy

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:48:10 »
I just wonder how the mx stuff fits on moose' topre board... (after he has seen the light)  :confused:

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:48:50 »

I'm stating a problem I have with ****ty posts in classifieds.  This forum should promote open discussion of its policies.  Sorry for having an opinion.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:49:54 »

I'm stating a problem I have with ****ty posts in classifieds.  This forum should promote open discussion of its policies.  Sorry for having an opinion.

Then what is wrong with other people sharing different opinions in this thread?

Whatever, have fun with this circlejerk I'm out.
I love Elzy

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:50:29 »

Saying that this thread is bull**** doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:50:57 »

Saying that this thread is bull**** doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Calling other people's replies bull**** doesn't contribute to anything either

Bull**** thread expect bull**** posts
I love Elzy

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:51:57 »

This thread is NECESSARY.

The drama bull**** is not for classifieds.

Classifieds is not a discussion board, and its certainly not a board to be used for circlejerking a two week old issue to stir up unnecessary drama so stop cluttering it with all of this

Kangaroo~
Having a bad day?

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:53:14 »
i may or may not agree that the issues raised here are bull****, but i do agree that this is the appropriate forum for the issue, and he doesn't deserve to be treated like a petulant child for having an opinion that is, at the very least, shared by some portion of the user base.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:54:25 »
When I've had issues with classifieds in the past I pm'd boost about it. Not sure if he is considered the classifieds mod or how that works.

Are moderators assigned specific areas?

Who do we contact about a problem thread/post in classifieds?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:55:09 »
When I've had issues with classifieds in the past I pm'd boost about it. Not sure if he is considered the classifieds mod or how that works.

Idk I figured I would post a thread about it in the proper section so we could have a decent discussion about it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:58:19 »
I've tried reporting excessive bumping in the past but was told it was fine because of 'who' was doing it and that it was to be expected from 'them'.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:58:37 »
I'm surprised that someone calling out the whole Good-Old-Boys-Club in a feedback topic didn't get moderated. That is pretty new to Geekhack! I remember when I questioned shady moderatiaon practices in this very forum one day, and my thread was locked with a stupid, vague answer that didn't answer my question!

I'm with MKULTRA here. I don't mind people doing deals by private message... in fact, I am guilty of that one. It's an easy forum for dealing with the meebcaps. I do not like the testing waters threads that exist to build up hype. It's annoying.

We really need to be better at keeping the trolling sane. I did not like that whole MY hype festival that was going on. I'm sure people who were misled into buying a keyboard they were likely to hate also did not appreciate it.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:59:22 »

That would have been brilliant, since he's the one that's really patient zero of this outbreak, if we're talking about everyone that does it and not the two that did it today as OP claims.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:00:36 »

That would have been brilliant, since he's the one that's really patient zero of this outbreak, if we're talking about everyone that does it and not the two that did it today as OP claims.
TJ you are correct, I am talking about EVERYONE who does it.  These latest two threads just prompted me to post this thread.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:01:26 »

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

100% agree with this statement.  There were a pair of amusing thread mocking the [TW] and some other threads that went live recently, but there comes a point when it just becomes a circlejerk and/or incites drama. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a major overhaul in the way the classifieds are done, including classifieds requiring photos and photo proof, requiring all sales to clearly state the asking price, having all auctions handled by a third party facilitator so that you don't get people who decide to back out if the price is magically too low at the end, all auctions being made public only, and GH taking a cut of all auctions so that we see a decrease in the absurdity that seems to happen with auction threads and private auction threads.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:02:44 »
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a major overhaul in the way the classifieds are done, including classifieds requiring photos and photo proof, requiring all sales to clearly state the asking price, having all auctions handled by a third party facilitator, all auctions being made public only, and GH taking a cut of all auctions so that we see a decrease in the absurdity that seems to happen with auction threads and private auction threads.

I'm sure people would move to another site if the FS section was that tight.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:05:15 »
I'm sure people would move to another site if the FS section was that tight.

And that would be fine with me.  I'd rather see a classifieds section run properly with fewer posters instead of the circlejerking, profiteering, and sometimes shady stuff that I see in there all the time.  Personally, I don't see those as all that tight of rules, just keeping things in check and keeping people more honest.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:05:53 »

Grow up kids.

Kangaroo~

100% agree with this statement.  There were a pair of amusing thread mocking the [TW] and some other threads that went live recently, but there comes a point when it just becomes a circlejerk and/or incites drama. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a major overhaul in the way the classifieds are done, including classifieds requiring photos and photo proof, requiring all sales to clearly state the asking price, having all auctions handled by a third party facilitator so that you don't get people who decide to back out if the price is magically too low at the end, all auctions being made public only, and GH taking a cut of all auctions so that we see a decrease in the absurdity that seems to happen with auction threads and private auction threads.

I agree and also some moderation of group buys and clarification when it's a vendor versus regular member etc. Some sort of accountability.

And many forums require photo proof with your username and date etc.

I also think geekhack should get a cut from all the money that changes hands around here to keep the place going.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:06:06 »
We really need to be better at keeping the trolling sane. I did not like that whole MY hype festival that was going on. I'm sure people who were misled into buying a keyboard they were likely to hate also did not appreciate it.

where people get the idea that that was funny or cute idk
the trolling and butthurt really has to stop

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:09:40 »

Yeah, that one annoyed me to no end.  I know it was supposed to be a joke since tp4t was temporarily banned and wasn't going off on the "amazing ergodox", but there's a difference between hailing something because you truly love it and want others to as well (which, apparently, he does, making him no different than the Topre proselytes) and recommending junk to be cute and funny.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:10:39 »
While I agree with you guys.  That is a discussion for another thread.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:17:35 »
One forum I am a member of insists on an actual photo of the item being sold, or the thread is immediately locked by a mod.

It is a system that works, there is almost no spam there.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:25:58 »
Are TW threads really an issue?  It's just been Boost's thread that caused a kerfufle, and all the rest of this has been spin-off of that.  Right?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:27:13 »
Are TW threads really an issue?  It's just been Boost's thread that caused a kerfufle, and all the rest of this has been spin-off of that.  Right?

I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:27:39 »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:28:09 »

At one time we had mods that covered specific subforums, but not any more.  All the mods are "global moderators", and you can PM any of us with any issue.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:28:28 »
Also FS threads which have nothing posted in them.  People need to wait to post their threads until they know what they are selling and can list it. 

Also FS threads which have nothing posted in them.  People need to wait to post their threads until they know what they are selling and can list it. 

And if they are "spin-offs" they are useless spam which doesn't belong in the classifieds forums.  So why aren't they being punished?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:28:59 »

Clearly, my opinion is well documented, but YES.

Bruh, you're a'ight, but this is irony, right?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:34:54 by tjcaustin »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:34:35 »

They can be disappointing, especially when you know it is an established member with some really great things that they might be selling or trading, and then having to wade through dozens of pages of threadcrapping to find out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:34:50 »
the butthurt really has to stop

;)

<---

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:35:39 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:36:11 »
;)

implying i'm butthurt

Tell me again how you traded your Raindrop set for $24?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:37:55 »
;)

implying i'm butthurt

Tell me again how you traded your Raindrop set for $24?

oh good you saw that then

not like you aren't butthurt about the TW at all :}

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:39:54 »
And if they are "spin-offs" they are useless spam which doesn't belong in the classifieds forums.  So why aren't they being punished?

They have the utility of being humorous, for some people.  I don't think we need to lock down the classifieds and treat them as hallowed ground.  If something is a genuine problem, then yeah let's make a rule to cover it.  So, two questions:

1) How common are [TW] and "post items later" sales threads?
2) Why are they a problem?

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:40:06 »
This has turned into a pretty useless pissing contest. This is the kind of **** we need less of.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:40:35 »
Stop spamming in here holy **** take it elsewhere.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:41:02 »
useless pissing contest

^

No one likes them except the creators.
Having a bad day?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:41:04 »
moose makes dubs butthurt.... hmm....

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:43:23 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
I love Elzy

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:44:42 »

They have the utility of being humorous, for some people.  I don't think we need to lock down the classifieds and treat them as hallowed ground.  If something is a genuine problem, then yeah let's make a rule to cover it.  So, two questions:

1) How common are [TW] and "post items later" sales threads?
2) Why are they a problem?
Hash I think the classifieds needs to be a serious place for serious threads.  If you want humor go to off-topic.

1. TW threads have been extremely prevalent lately (whether they are jokes or not)  As far as post items later, I see them often.
2. There is no reason to post a thread announcing your sale when you don't have items to put up yet.  It is simply useless clutter.  They are posting these threads to build up suspense and interest in heir sales (which will likely already have very rare items) which is just unnecessary.  Just post the thread in two hours or the next day when you have pictures and a list of items.  Usually these threads are at 4+ pages before the sale even begins.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:45:06 »
feed the egos! nomnomnomnom!

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:45:57 »

As an elder member of the community I would really expect more from you.  Stop feeding the drama.  Grow up.