Author Topic: [IC] Gemini TKL - Novatouch Replacement or MX Custom, You Decide  (Read 14686 times)

Offline NightOwlKeyboards

• Night Owl Keyboards
This is mainly going to be a copy-pasta of the Reddit IC for those that have seen it, but I was persuaded to post here as well.

'Gemini'
      a TKL with two personalities

I'm going to start off with the goods before I bore you with a wall of text. I'm pretty terrible at renders, so here's an album of prototype shots instead:

Prototype Album

Interest Check Google Form

Check out our Instagram

Join Night Owl Keyboards Discord

The Novatouch TKL was my gateway board into this hobby some years ago and I've always wanted a custom case to accompany it. There were a few key features that I wanted to tackle in my design:
  • Inclined Typing Angle
  • Isolation Mount (aka Gasket)
  • USB-C

Along the way I thought, why not make it compatible with a custom plate and PCB for MX switch compatibility for the people who either don't have a Novatouch laying around or don't want to try hunting one down?

Gemini accomplishes this compatibility by offering two different top options based on your needs. (The Novatouch has a non-standard spacing between the F-Row and Alphas.) The bottom is universal and will work with either top you choose.

As you can see, the design has been prototyped, built, and tested. Minor revisions will be made to tweak tolerances here and there but I have found no major issues or design flaws. This interest check will serve to collect information on the preferred layouts, colors, materials, and weight design (I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so I made both). Initial feedback from the first round of replies has been overwhelmingly in favor of the Logo only Bottom, so that is the one I will be pricing. Both prototype colors came out a bit darker than I was expecting (dark gray aluminum and smoked polycarbonate), but I still really like them. I may request that they be lightened a bit depending on feedback.

I also had some forged carbon fiber plates made up for fun. These aren't as pretty to machine as the standard twill due to the fibers running all different directions, but I could be convinced to offer this as an option.

As this is my first foray, I will keep the numbers low and manageable, likely fewer than 50 units. The Group Buy will likely also be North America only due to the current state of affairs. If you have a U.S.-based proxy or want to find one, that is fine with me.

As for the MX PCB, it should be compatible with Hiney's new H87 and H88. I'm working out the details with him at this time.

Alps compatibility? - I have no plans to offer an Alps plate, however, if Hiney's new PCB's are the ones used for this GB, they are Alps compatible and I can release plate files for anyone that would like to have their own manufactured.

Additional Info:
  • Case Materials Offered: Aluminum/Polycarbonate
  • Weight Material: Polished Stainless Steel
  • Color Choices: E-White Alu, Dark Gray Alu, Smoked Poly, Frosted Clear Poly
  • Plate Material Choices: Alu, Brass, FR4, Carbon Fiber
  • Typing Angle: 7.77°
  • Front Height: Approx 21mm
  • Center Mount USB-C
  • Sleeved/Seamless Design

Kit Contents:

MX Version   Novatouch Version
MX Compatible Top   Novatouch Compatible Top
Universal Bottom   Universal Bottom
Polished Stainless Steel Weight   Polished Stainless Steel Weight
MX Compatible Plate (aluminum)   USB-C Daughterboard (NTA v1.0)
Custom Molded U-Gaskets for Plate   Custom Die-Cut Gaskets
Custom Molded Feet   Custom Molded Feet

Estimated Pricing:
  • MX Version: $555
  • Novatouch Version: $525

There will be options for upgrades/add-ons such as additional tops, plates in other materials, PCBs, daughter boards, etc.

Since this is the first post about this project here on GH, I am going to leave the form open a bit longer to collect more responses from users that might not have seen this project yet. Hopefully I'll have another update for you all by the end of next week containing the information and planned date for the Group Buy.

I hope you guys are as excited about this project as I am. Gemini is the first design from Night Owl Keyboards. Check out our Instagram or join our Discord for updates on this and future projects.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my IC. Feel free to leave comments, questions, criticism.

• Night Owl Keyboards
Re: Gemini TKL - Novatouch Replacement or MX Custom, You Decide
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 15:31:09 »
Reserved

-Update #1-

We got our first review! Check it out here if you are interested:

Gemini Review

-Update #2-

Got a few samples of two lighter (compared to the proto) grays. Leaning toward the darker sample (right) as it is in between the proto and the lighter shade (left).

Gray Color Samples

-Update #3-

We have a date! The Gemini Group Buy will take place on Saturday, July 25th via a time limited raffle. The entry form will be open for 12 hours, from 10:00 AM CDT to 10:00 PM CDT. (08:00 PDT, 11:00 EDT)

There will be a limit of 50 boards for this initial run. Shipping will be restricted to North America only unfortunately due to the pandemic. If you have a U.S.-based proxy, feel free to enter.

One entry per person. Winners of the raffle will be invoiced via PayPal.

The final weight design will be the simple Logo bottom, with the 'Gemini' text engraving on the interior.

MX layout options will be as follows:
  • "Standard" with Winkeys (No blockers)
  • "Standard" Winkeyless (Blockers)
  • "F13" Winkeyless (Blockers)

-Update #4-

Raffle is LIVE! Form will remain open from 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM CDT.

https://forms.gle/BeUMKAEkEMxXVTYT6
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 10:01:36 by NightOwlKeyboards »

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 15:32:12 »
v nice

will you be offering the option to have mixed materials (i.e. alu top and poly bottom and vice versa)?

Offline Soms

Re: [IC] Gemini TKL - Novatouch Replacement or MX Custom, You Decide
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 15:45:23 »
Lovely board, really enjoying the smoked polycarbonate prototype you put together. Hope you can gather enough interest for a gb, I'd love to join in!

Offline remdell

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 15:53:28 »
Extremely excited for this. Assuming the bottoms are universal, we could essentially buy either MX or Novatouch top (+ daughter board) to switch internals?
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline noahf

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 16:15:04 »
I am curious as to why you did not change the mx to be the same spacing as the realforce and just have a single top/bottom combo?

Offline Sabin

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 17:08:06 »
Damn $525-555

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 18:32:42 »
Interested in this for my NovaTouch, though I do think the price is a bit steep.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline shansoft

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:07:46 »
Damn $525-555

Very likely due to PCB support issue. A87 is much more common and much easier to obtain than OEM layout.....

Also, ecstatic......  :D

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:29:57 »
v nice

will you be offering the option to have mixed materials (i.e. alu top and poly bottom and vice versa)?

I would need to confirm from the manufacturer that this would not increase costs. If not, both pieces should work fine together so that might be an option.

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:35:03 »
I am curious as to why you did not change the mx to be the same spacing as the realforce and just have a single top/bottom combo?

The alphas and f-row spacing is not the only issue. Fitting the Novatouch internals requires another small internal change on the top piece. Also, the decision was made to adhere to the more common custom TKL PCB layout for future proofing. Should you need or want a different PCB in the future, it would be a lot easier to get a replacement.

Extremely excited for this. Assuming the bottoms are universal, we could essentially buy either MX or Novatouch top (+ daughter board) to switch internals?

That is the idea yes. You could swap internals and tops for either MX or Novatouch if you wanted both options.

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:43:05 »
Interested in this for my NovaTouch, though I do think the price is a bit steep.

Damn $525-555

I would have loved to come in at an even more affordable price, but with the small run size and the features/materials in this design I couldn't swing it. That said, I think if you take a look at comparable options run recently you'll find I tried my best to stay competitive.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 00:18:00 »
Yessssss

Do you think you'll allow for one MX / alu and one Topre / PC version per person? Because I really want both and then mix and match!
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline noorejji

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 01:07:04 »
Glad you posted on GH, please stick around. I'll be following your work, in case you decide to go international in the future. GL with IC!

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 10:14:00 »
Yessssss

Do you think you'll allow for one MX / alu and one Topre / PC version per person? Because I really want both and then mix and match!

I plan to allow the addition of an extra top to allow for MX/Novatouch compatibility, but bottoms will probably be limited to one per person. Haven't yet confirmed if mixed materials will be an option.

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 23:27:14 »
We got our first review! Check it out here if you are interested:

Gemini Review

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2020, 23:30:59 by NightOwlKeyboards »

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 01:39:53 »
not sure that's something you want to advertise haha
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 11:59:18 »
Got a few samples of two lighter (compared to the proto) grays. Leaning toward the darker sample (right) as it is in between the proto and the lighter shade (left).

Gray Color Samples

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 19:22:15 »
We have a date! The Gemini Group Buy will take place on Saturday, July 25th via a time limited raffle. The entry form will be open for 12 hours, from 10:00 AM CDT to 10:00 PM CDT. (08:00 PDT, 11:00 EDT)

There will be a limit of 50 boards for this initial run. Shipping will be restricted to North America only unfortunately due to the pandemic. If you have a U.S.-based proxy, feel free to enter.

One entry per person. Winners of the raffle will be invoiced via PayPal.

The final weight design will be the simple Logo bottom, with the 'Gemini' text engraving on the interior.

MX layout options will be as follows:
  • "Standard" with Winkeys (No blockers)
  • "Standard" Winkeyless (Blockers)
  • "F13" Winkeyless (Blockers)

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 17:34:00 »
Wanted to give the thread a bump with a reminder for the group buy next Saturday! Also figured I'd throw in a couple new photos and some ideas I have floating around.

I've been thinking about adding another color option for the aluminum version, and I've been contemplating swapping out brass for copper instead on the plate materials. Feel free to leave some feedback.

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 10:00:09 »
Raffle is LIVE! Form will remain open from 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM CDT.

https://forms.gle/BeUMKAEkEMxXVTYT6
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 10:01:49 by NightOwlKeyboards »

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 11:45:18 »
What happened to the link for the review?

• Night Owl Keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 13:11:12 »
What happened to the link for the review?

Looks like the vid is no longer up on Twitch.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 16:43:23 »
Any future releases for the same board or something else?