Author Topic: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available  (Read 43688 times)

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Now Shipping
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 10:12:18 »
Kits have gradually been turning up in people's mailboxes, it's nice to get word from people that they've received their kit.
Hi @Peej,
The link to the extras form is broken and it turns out I'm going to need an extra black PCB.
I planned my build around a black PCB, not remembering that I had actually ordered white for some reason.  :-[
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2021, 12:09:50 by Extra Fox »
A-a-ron

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 11:54:25 »

This might actually work!  ;D

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 13:23:51 »
The link to the extras form is broken and it turns out I'm going to need an extra black PCB.

The mailing list signup form for extras is here, let me know if it's not working for you, I decided to switch away from a Google form cos I wanted people to be able to unsubscribe.

Offline peej

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 13:25:33 »

Nice. How does the mounting on the Prophet work? Is the plate attached to the case somehow?

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 14:36:45 »

The mailing list signup form for extras is here, let me know if it's not working for you, I decided to switch away from a Google form cos I wanted people to be able to unsubscribe.
Yeah buddy! Signed up. Now, we wait.
A-a-ron

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 14:41:02 »

Nice. How does the mounting on the Prophet work? Is the plate attached to the case somehow?
Yeah, the plate is mounted with pins in the corner, so there's no downward pressure on it!

Speedbuilt one of the PCBs, instructions were great!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 12:08:12 »

Offline sleezy91

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 17:02:17 »
this is my first custom build and i'm in love! i had no experience in building mk's but this layout dragged me so quick into the hobby. i wanted to have a full custom build, so i was interested in building my own case. peejeh was very patient on discord explaining me what a 60% layout is etc. and told me about kicad. this resulted in an own designed pcb for all the keys i thought i would miss (the numpad on the picture).  i'm so happy with the build, how it looks, how it feels , how it sounds.

Thanks!!

269814-0

269816-1

269818-2

Offline augrym

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 15:33:48 »
Thank you for the awesome design and group buy!

I‘ve built the board as described and checked the usb c connector pads with a mulitmeter, nothing unexpected noticed. When connecting the board via usbc to an usb c port I cant set the board in flash mode for qmk toolbox and don‘t get any keyboard input. I don‘t have another computer handy until monday, any further ideas?

I‘ve built several disciplines before so I have some expierience. Components have the right orientation, no white smoke 😅

Offline klamchops

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:39:17 »
I am also having issues with my board. Using the USB Mini port and can't get my computer to recognize it after plugging it in, and no keys are registering on Switch Hitter. I've checked the soldering on all of the components and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated!

Offline augrym

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 23:47:07 »
Maybe I (we?) happen to have gotten an mcu without flashed bootloader?
Handling so many chips alone I can imagine that you accidentally skip one or another getting interrupted.
I tried two mcus so far (ordered two sets) and both didn‘t work.

I could try reflashing the bootloader and firmware tonight. First I have to solder the headers though, I skipped them for aesthetic reasons  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 02:51:14 »
Maybe I (we?) happen to have gotten an mcu without flashed bootloader?
Handling so many chips alone I can imagine that you accidentally skip one or another getting interrupted.
I tried two mcus so far (ordered two sets) and both didn‘t work.

I could try reflashing the bootloader and firmware tonight. First I have to solder the headers though, I skipped them for aesthetic reasons  ;D

It could be an MCU issue, but it seems unlikely given that you've tried 2 different ones.

The circuitry is quite simple, there's two parts, the bit that provides power to the MCU from the USB, and then the switch matrix. If it not detected as a USB device then it is something wrong with the power circuit, the MCU itself, or the power from the USB. You can eliminate an MCU error by switching in another chip, sometimes USB hubs don't deliver an on-spec amount of power so plugging straight into your PC can eliminate that possible cause. If that's all good, then you know it's an issue with the power circuit.

Visually check all the power circuit components, the solder joints are good, they are in the correct positions and orientations. Those resistors all looks much the same as each other. If you have a multimeter check for continuity between components and for resistance across components.

Disclaimer: I am not an electronics expert and am just relaying my experiences.

Offline augrym

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 15:27:33 »
Thank you for your input!

I rechecked all my solder points, made sure every connection is good enough and added some solder to the usb-c pads.
I also replaced the Zener diodes (which are labeled as D61/D62 on my silkscreen, not D66/D67 as in the guide) with ones I had on hand, just to make sure.

Fair enough, now the board connects! Thank you very much! All buttons work and I can reconnect it in qmk toolbox.
While testing the buttons most of the times the left LED lid up. Only some times the right one lid up. Is there a pattern to why which lights up?

Now just one short question: In the docs (https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard) you mention VIA-Support:
There is a VIA compatible firmware available in QMK.

I've looked for it in qmk toolbox, but I can't find the firmware except the default one. Can't find a download on the via-website aswell.
Quick google search couldn't help either. Did I miss something?

Another quick question: If I'd wanted to replace the red LEDs with a different color, R7/R8 are the resistors which belong to the LEDs, right?

Offline peej

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 16:00:40 »
Fair enough, now the board connects! Thank you very much! All buttons work and I can reconnect it in qmk toolbox.

Awesome!

While testing the buttons most of the times the left LED lid up. Only some times the right one lid up. Is there a pattern to why which lights up?

The LEDs are configured to light the left on key press and the right on layer change. This is in lumberjack.c in the firmware so if you want different behaviour you can adjust it here.

Now just one short question: In the docs (https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard) you mention VIA-Support:

The firmware that comes on the MCU in the kit is the VIA keymap, if you fire up VIA it should "just work". QMK Toolbox will only load default keymaps via the keyboard selection dropdown, if you need a .hex of the VIA keymap you will need to compile it yourself:

Code: [Select]
qmk compile -kb peej/lumberjack -km via
Another quick question: If I'd wanted to replace the red LEDs with a different color, R7/R8 are the resistors which belong to the LEDs, right?

Yes, pick the appropriate resistor size for your LED of choice and how bright you want it.

Offline augrym

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 01:18:17 »

The LEDs are configured to light the left on key press and the right on layer change. This is in lumberjack.c in the firmware so if you want different behaviour you can adjust it here.
[...]

I see, thank you for the explanation!

The firmware that comes on the MCU in the kit is the VIA keymap, if you fire up VIA it should "just work".
Oh no, I didn't try that because I'm not used to VIA-support out of the box :D

Yes, pick the appropriate resistor size for your LED of choice and how bright you want it.
Thank you for the quick confirmation.

I will post my board once it's completed. Need to lube some tangies and solder them all, will take a few evenings until everything is assembled.
Thank you again for the great design & quick support!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 01:37:56 »
Mine ha s started acting up as well, was working fine the other day and I could flash it. Now it does it turns up as an unknown device 7/10 times when I plug it in, and when it does work it's only for a few minutes before it  disconnects.. 

Could it be a bad batch of zenners, or am I just bad at soldering  :))

Offline peej

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:22:39 »
Mine ha s started acting up as well, was working fine the other day and I could flash it. Now it does it turns up as an unknown device 7/10 times when I plug it in, and when it does work it's only for a few minutes before it  disconnects.. 

Could it be a bad batch of zenners, or am I just bad at soldering  :))

Hmm, that sucks, it could be bad zeners. I panicked slightly when I read your message and franticly grabbed my meter to check the left over zeners, I'm not entirely sure I'm testing them correctly (I'm just doing a diode check although zeners are magic) but after checking 30 or so they all checked out. One gave a low value of 0.5v rather than 0.7v but that's still within expected range as far as I understand. In reverse they act as expected. Are you able to test your zeners and do you have spares you could try swapping out for?

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:36:45 »
IDK how I would test them, is it enough with a multimeter or do I need a regulated power source as well?

I think I can get some this week from Amazon. Your BOM on Github does not mention a parts number, just a voltage, is there a specific one I should be looking for? Zeners are black magic to me as well, don't know a whole lot about them to be honest!  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 02:31:29 »
IDK how I would test them, is it enough with a multimeter or do I need a regulated power source as well?

I think I can get some this week from Amazon. Your BOM on Github does not mention a parts number, just a voltage, is there a specific one I should be looking for? Zeners are black magic to me as well, don't know a whole lot about them to be honest!  ;D

You can test if they are broken with a standard diode test, so they should show a voltage drop in the forward direction and nothing backwards. But I think if you want to test the reverse breakdown voltage then you need a flowing current, you shouldn't need to test that cos we know they are 3.6v zeners. I think all 3.6v zeners are the same, https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taiwan-Semiconductor/BZX55B3V6-R0G

If you can't source any and need me to send you some, let me know.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 07:50:38 »
I ordered a pack of zeners, will probably have time to test some this weekend even if they don't get here by then!

Offline augrym

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 08:10:12 »
I've had some spares when ordering my parts for my discipline-builds.
I ordered those: https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/NZX3V6A%2c133/1727-4744-1-ND/2531194?

I guess any ZENER DIODE 3.6V 500MW will do.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 08:22:15 »
Really hope it's just those, would hate it if it was the USB port! I do have a desoldering station, but it's still a PITA to remove all the switches  ;D

Offline augrym

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 08:53:16 »
Here's my build:

Tofu E-white case
Black Lumberjack PCB
Tangerines 67g + 8 Roeslio 67g, both lubed with kryptox 0205 & everglide screw in stabs
AliExpress Apple classic-keycaps.

Have 8 roselios close to the middle panel so the orange of the tangle-cases don't shine through :D
I use this together with an apple mouse on my iMac work.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 01:10:00 »
Here's my build:

Tofu E-white case
Black Lumberjack PCB
Tangerines 67g + 8 Roeslio 67g, both lubed with kryptox 0205 & everglide screw in stabs
AliExpress Apple classic-keycaps.

Have 8 roselios close to the middle panel so the orange of the tangle-cases don't shine through :D
I use this together with an apple mouse on my iMac work.

That looks super clean! Great work man!

I'm going to put my second PCB in a tofu as well - was planning on mounting it with one of them big gaskets!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 05:06:59 »
I ordered a pack of zeners, will probably have time to test some this weekend even if they don't get here by then!
So now I've replaced the zenners, double checked every soldering point, I tried the atmega IC from the second kit, I reflowed and multimeter tested the USB C connector, but still Windows will only detect it as an unknown device!

Then I notice there's a slight bit of solder that's going to the USB A pad from the C pin. So I remove this, and now it seems fine!

Will keep it on and disassembled a few more hours before declaring victory  :thumb:

Offline peej

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 06:26:58 »
Another quick weekly update. Some kits are still within the postal system, especially those going to the other side of the world (and Portugal), it seems that postage times can vary wildly seemly based on luck. If you haven't received yours and are concerned, give me a shout in Discord (peejeh#8426).

Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived. As I've said before, there will be plenty of extras due to my PCB ordering error. I will be using some left over funds to get the kit parts together so the kits will be ready to send asap as the parts are compiled together. The only limitation will be how fast I can do that, so there will be a form for orders and it will produce a queue which I will work through.

Enjoy your weekend.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 11:14:17 »
Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived. As I've said before, there will be plenty of extras due to my PCB ordering error. I will be using some left over funds to get the kit parts together so the kits will be ready to send asap as the parts are compiled together. The only limitation will be how fast I can do that, so there will be a form for orders and it will produce a queue which I will work through.
Question on that, will you be offering PCB only, or is it just easier to do the full kits from a workflow and inventory perspective?
To frame the question, I only need a Black PCB, but if it's easier for you just to sell these as kits I would still be interested.
A-a-ron

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 15:12:23 »
Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived.

Oh snap, I thought I'd missed the boat on this completely. :eek: I was starting to look into how to get a PCB made 1-off. Definitely going to be trying my hardest to snag a slot on these!
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 20:28:41 »
Just wanted to announce for those that are waiting, ThocKeys will be having some extras available on Friday June 18th at around 11AM Eastern Time.
ThocKeys.com

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 20:57:18 »
Just wanted to announce for those that are waiting, ThocKeys will be having some extras available on Friday June 18th at around 11AM Eastern Time.

Thank you very much for the heads up!

I can't believe that I've already reached the point of adding reminders to my work calendar....

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 21:58:51 »

Made a geekhack account and a thockeys account just for this. hopefully i can get one and the shipping to Manila wont cost as much as the kit. Good luck to all of us, campers!

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 23:17:06 »
Made a geekhack account and a thockeys account just for this. hopefully i can get one and the shipping to Manila wont cost as much as the kit. Good luck to all of us, campers!

Also from Manila! When I ordered it through peej, the shipping was around 9 euros, but it was sent as a mailbox package. Hope ordering it through ThocKeys won't be too expensive for you.

Offline peej

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 09:48:40 »
To frame the question, I only need a Black PCB, but if it's easier for you just to sell these as kits I would still be interested.

Give me a shout on Discord, I can definitely help you out.

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 19:54:46 »

Also from Manila! When I ordered it through peej, the shipping was around 9 euros, but it was sent as a mailbox package. Hope ordering it through ThocKeys won't be too expensive for you.

just checked. around 6usd for the most basic shipping. not bad. hope to see your build in the local fb groups hehehe

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 11:11:54 »
Hello, due to an unforseen personal conflict (one of my kids is sick), I'm going to have to push this out one week. The sale of extras will now be next Friday June 25th. I apologize for the short notice and delay.
ThocKeys.com

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 12:18:48 »
Hello, due to an unforseen personal conflict (one of my kids is sick), I'm going to have to push this out one week. The sale of extras will now be next Friday June 25th. I apologize for the short notice and delay.

Perfectly understandable, thanks for the heads up and I hope they get well soon!

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 19:12:56 »

Thanks for the update! I hope you're kid is alright.

Offline JustaGh0st

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 12:25:21 »
Hope all is well! Eagerly awaiting an opportunity to try and grab one of these

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 03:04:22 »
Here are the images of the board I made! Using the kbdfans walnut case and mt3 profile keycaps, the case ended up 3mm ajar at the number row. Still works good enough for me.

Offline peej

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:22:06 »
Here are the images of the board I made! Using the kbdfans walnut case and mt3 profile keycaps, the case ended up 3mm ajar at the number row. Still works good enough for me.

Nice, the wood and components together reminds me of those old wooden radio cabinets.

How come the case doesn't quite sit right? Is it a misalignment with the USB opening?

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:34:56 »

Nice, the wood and components together reminds me of those old wooden radio cabinets.

How come the case doesn't quite sit right? Is it a misalignment with the USB opening?

The pcb sits well in the case! It's the choice of keycaps I made that prevented the cap from sitting flush with the case. MT3 is a pretty tall profile similar to SA, so cases that usually close don't quite do so for this profile. I'd just need a band of sorts to but around it to have it close completely if I really wanted it to.

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:56:43 »

for those interested, just checked, extras kit on thockeys are live! godspeed and good luck!

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 11:20:41 »

for those interested, just checked, extras kit on thockeys are live! godspeed and good luck!

Been up for 3hrs for this, I think & hope I managed to get it! :thumb: Looks like my first keyboard has been decided if so

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 22:52:27 »

Been up for 3hrs for this, I think & hope I managed to get it! :thumb: Looks like my first keyboard has been decided if so

godspeed! great choice for a first keeb. just got my order in! cant wait for the second batch of people and their builds.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 08:28:19 »
Picked up a white kit  :) Will be the first bit of soldering I've done in a while, really looking forward to it.

Offline peej

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 05:10:34 »
Hi everyone,

Extra Lumberjack kits are now available from me, go to the form to request your order:

https://forms.gle/2b4E6fSUkPQ6LAun6

These are USB Mini only kits. Rather than releasing them in batches as they are ready, signup using the form and you will join the queue, I will then invoice you when your kit is ready to send. When they are all gone they are all gone but there should be plenty to go around, if the colour you want isn't available anymore then I will invoice you for another colour.

Offline TLExile

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:20:42 »
Will all extra kits in the future (usbc ones) also not have fr4 plates?
I assume that there are no extras for those so there isn't a point in holding out.

Offline peej

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:11:32 »
Will all extra kits in the future (usbc ones) also not have fr4 plates?
I assume that there are no extras for those so there isn't a point in holding out.

After handling items lost in shipping, there are no more USB-C boards. I do have a few spare plates, so if you mention you want one in the form you might get lucky.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 18:28:58 »
Just got my extra buy in and took it on a super scuff "test run" (aka I stuck switches on it on my deskmat and pulled the keycaps off my current board). Just off looks alone this was one of my endgames, and now having played around with it a little bit? I don't think I'm ever going back to standard layouts. This is just such a nice design. Having the hands apart that little bit is way comfier, and ortholinear has my fingers flying around the keyboard much less. So excited to get these finished and turned into daily drivers!

Offline Leo66

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 02:43:17 »
impressive ~~