Author Topic: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - GB live!  (Read 17639 times)

Offline keepoto

[IC] KKB Outer Bounds - GB live!
« on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 05:05:12 »

KKB Outer Bounds is inspired by our solar system, in particular the mystical and seldom-explored outer planets. Although space is not all neon lights and disco balls, it's still mesmerisingly colourful.

Recently, I’ve been reading (and watching) quite a bit about the evolution and eventual fate of the solar system, which got me fascinated in this aspect of my science education again. Kind of poetic to turn your gaze upwards into the vast expanses of the solar system which we will probably never tread with our own feet, and at the same time realise the solar system is but one infinitesimal in the entire cosmos.

The solar system seems only a hand’s reach from this blue planet we call home, but at the same time may well be the outer bounds of human exploration in the foreseeable future. The set is named accordingly.

As there are several kitting choices that would have to be made, it would be highly appreciated if you could fill in the IC form.

If you are interested in becoming a vendor or collabs, please contact me on discord at keepo87.

IC Form | Discord

Manufacturer: Key Kobo

Profile: Cherry profile doubleshot ABS

GB date: 24 Feb - 23 March

Kitting

Several kitting choices to explain:

Spacebars: with how Alice layouts increasingly move away from a fixed 2.25u/2.75u spacebar layout, it may be more efficient to place both 2.25u/2.75u and double 3us in the spacebars kit to better differentiate between Alice and non-Alice users. If you think otherwise, please let me know in the IC form.

Numpad: with reference to the order numbers of KKB Alhambra, only around 20% of customers ordered the numpad kit. Therefore I believe it is overall more cost-efficient to keep the numpad kit separate.

Base Kit - 85 USD

Numpad Kit - 15 USD

Spacebars Kit - 8 USD

Accents - 25 USD

Dark Alphas - 40 USD

Novelties - 25 USD

ISO-Enter novelty key will be tripleshot.

ISO-UK kit - price TBD

Deskmat - 22USD

(with watermark)

Collabs

TBA

Renders

W1-AT by Geon.Works

E8.5 by Exclusive

Aeroboard70 by S61

Boomerang by Laminar

Vendors

USA: KeebsForAll
CA: Mech.land
EU: Keygem
UK: ProtoTypist
Korea: Swagkeys
SEA: iLumKB
Indonesia: Mechaland
VN: MOKB Store
OCE: Allcaps
LATAM: Latamkeys
Japan: Basekeys
CN (ex. TW): Dawn Works
TW: PPD Keyboards

If you are interested in this set, have any suggestions or would like to discuss further, please do join my discord (link above) or add me personally (keepo87) - happy to chat further!

Many thanks to Pensa73 for the renders, PapaMao / Exclusive / Geon / S61 / Laminar for the render files, as well as you for spending the time to read this IC  ;)

Uhh lemme secretly add a signature block for good order lol

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=121477.0][img width=320 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/n5eV5MC.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2024, 08:33:53 by keepoto »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 05:27:15 »
that's... not bad at all. I like the contrast with the gray mod legends. also the alt alphas is a great addition.

never a fan of the separated numpad kit tho, unless it's a kitting restraint from keykobo I'd keep that in base, but that's not strictly related to this set in particular.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 11:08:47 »
I think, as long as it's reflected in the price being lower, the exclusion of a numpad doesn't bother me much. Sample size of one, etc., but every numpad I have for every set is just sitting in a box. Of the 15 keyboards I've owned in my time as a hobbyist only two have ever had numpads.

Please consider UK keys in base (only six keys in total) or a NorDeUK kit (the real Europeans will like it).

Offline Miiroy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 11:19:56 »
Very nice design, especially the colored alpha and accent kit. Hope to have some renders with more colored Mods on tho. Anyway, LOVE U KEEPO!

Offline roffelsaur

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 12:51:00 »
Love the novelties and colour choices. Legibility for the mods might be of concern but we'll have to see the samples to know for sure right

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 16:58:48 »
Like those dark alphas and the accent colorful kit

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 21:11:52 »
Interesting set, not sure how I feel about the mods but I think that's just a preference thing. One of the better looking KKB sets that's in IC

Would prefer a standard base kit with numpad, as numpad kits are far more expensive than just adding it to a base kit.

Would also like to see bottom row 1.5u codes/super as well as another 1u alt/fn key. Not necessary inherently but I like seeing it in kits as I use R3 control and like to have code/super keys where the bottom row controls are.

GLWIC
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline keepoto

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 September 2023, 05:59:46 »
Love the novelties and colour choices. Legibility for the mods might be of concern but we'll have to see the samples to know for sure right

yup it will be similar to GMK Grey on Black so legibility should not be an issue. In any event we can always opt for a slightly lighter grey shall the need arise

Interesting set, not sure how I feel about the mods but I think that's just a preference thing. One of the better looking KKB sets that's in IC

Would prefer a standard base kit with numpad, as numpad kits are far more expensive than just adding it to a base kit.

Would also like to see bottom row 1.5u codes/super as well as another 1u alt/fn key. Not necessary inherently but I like seeing it in kits as I use R3 control and like to have code/super keys where the bottom row controls are.

GLWIC

Thanks for the suggestions and will look into how that impact costs of the kit

Offline keepoto

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - Novs update
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 07:33:16 »
3/10/2023: updated novelties

There are several reasons behind this nov update:
  • IC response: from the IC form responses and discord discussion, it seems people prefer having at least 1 1u key for each row, as opposed to a more loaded R1
  • Cost concern: after discussion with KKB, it is preferable to reduce novelties to an economically acceptable number, due to costs associated with nov moulds.
  • Style: the new sun icon should stylistically more coherent, and more unique than the previous one.

For other kitting choices, I am leaning towards normal accent kit due to cost concern (don't want to market a 50usd accent kit lol), and dark alphas will likely be available.

Vendors will be updated in due course.

Offline trashem

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 October 2023, 19:07:26 »
keeping my eye on this one - love the colors!!!

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 00:42:35 »
Nice dark Alpha, like the deep universe.

Offline yuujira

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 06:22:34 »
Love this so much! hope it gets through

Offline El Kinoflop

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 December 2023, 07:04:09 »
R2 1.75u Enter: I have received some feedback from 40s users that layouts now use R2 1.75u Enter instead of R2 1.5u Enter, and KKB is fine with including this key. Would you like it to be icon+text or text only?

Thanks for including both. My 40s are split 50/50 as to which size enter they use. I think it looks good as you have it with icon+text but either is fine.

Offline keepoto

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 06:29:18 »
17/01/2024: vendors, pricing, kitting update

Hello everyone and (extremely) belated happy new year.

I am pleased to announce the list of vendors and pricing details for KKB Outer Bounds. Base Kit will be priced at 85USD, slightly lower than Alhambra. GB is tenatively set to be early February, subject to satisfactory progress on all fronts.

We have made minor kitting updates, including:
  • Including R2 1u backspace in base kit for further 40s support
  • Including grey terminal iso keys in dark alphas kit
  • Adding back the isoenter novelty, which will be in tripleshot

Yea it's just old novelties but with return of the isoenter

Collaborations, including deskmat, keyboard and artisans, will be announced in due course. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 January 2024, 21:42:54 by keepoto »

Offline fzlo

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - Pricing & Vendors
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 08:30:49 »
nice! looking forward to it!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 13:41:31 »
We have made minor kitting updates, including:
  • Including R2 1u backspace in base kit for further 40s support
  • Including grey terminal iso keys in dark alphas kit
  • Adding back the isoenter novelty, which will be in tripleshot

The R2 1u Back key isn't necessary since there's already a R2 1u Delete in the kit. Most sets that include 3-key/4-key 40s support in base don't include the Back key for this reason.

The gray \| that was added to dark alphas should be R3 instead of R4.

Consider using Super or System instead of Code for the OS key legend.
Consider adding 2x 1.5u OS keys, together with a second 1u Alt, for Mac/HHKB bottom row support.
If you end up needing to remove any keys to save on space, 2u Shift and 1.75u Enter are good candidates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2024, 10:56:43 by konstantin »

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 19:21:05 »
I'm genuinely very sad this appears to be going ahead with no Nordeuk/international kit support and as a result won't be participating in the GB. But good luck, I suppose.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 03:19:00 »
I'm genuinely very sad this appears to be going ahead with no Nordeuk/international kit support and as a result won't be participating in the GB. But good luck, I suppose.
not like you and the remaining 12 nordeuk users in the world can actually affect a gb's success

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 12:42:16 »
not like you and the remaining 12 nordeuk users in the world can actually affect a gb's success

Ah, yes. "I don't use it so no one should have it." Excellent, stable logic.

Offline Akele

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 16:26:30 »

I can understand GB runners not including international kits because they're worried about not hitting MOQ, but I don't understand people celebrate the exclusion or removal of international kits. Perhaps they were traumatised by an ISO keyboard as a child, or just like trolling for the lolz.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 09:52:21 »

I can understand GB runners not including international kits because they're worried about not hitting MOQ, but I don't understand people celebrate the exclusion or removal of international kits. Perhaps they were traumatised by an ISO keyboard as a child, or just like trolling for the lolz.

nah I deeply despise the bias towards some languages and the nonexistent support of others. either support them all or none, it's not like ISO-UK has any more right to be represented than ISO-FR or ISO-PT or whatever majority of languages nordeuk kits do not support. learn to touch type the grand total of 6 or so keys.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 10:38:34 »
either support them all or none, it's not like ISO-UK has any more right to be represented than ISO-FR or ISO-PT or whatever majority of languages nordeuk kits do not support.

It kinda does, tho. (warning: old data, but it should still get the point across)

Kitting for international users is always an exercise in optimization, i.e. trying to support the largest number of users with the least amount of keys, so that kit prices stay reasonable. That's why some less popular ISO layouts (such as the ones you mentioned) are often underrepresented in community keycap sets.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2024, 10:46:48 by konstantin »

Offline keepoto

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 11:48:22 »
either support them all or none, it's not like ISO-UK has any more right to be represented than ISO-FR or ISO-PT or whatever majority of languages nordeuk kits do not support.

It kinda does, tho. (warning: old data, but it should still get the point across)

Kitting for international users is always an exercise in optimization, i.e. trying to support the largest number of users with the least amount of keys, so that kit prices stay reasonable. That's why some less popular ISO layouts (such as the ones you mentioned) are often underrepresented in community keycap sets.

very interesting (kramnik voice)

Offline keepoto

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 01:25:29 »
27/01/2024: minor kitting update for dark base

• R1 tilde changed to R1 pipe for split backspace compatbility
  • Included proper terminal iso support (R3 pipe / R4 <)

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 20:12:02 »
give us a render of the dark alpha!!

Offline sauvieng

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 16:34:29 »
keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo keepo

i'm in.

Offline Jho

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 00:17:40 »
I love the novelties and the colors overall!

Offline keepoto

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 23:26:05 »
10/02/2024: Happy new year! We are pleased to annnounce that GB will begin on 24 February and run through 23 March.

Deskmat reveal! The deskmat is a collaboration with 1stgarden, who has drawn many a fine deskmats. The idea behind the mat originated from the Voyager I probe, the part of the journey when it passes Jupiter. In the end we figued it's a bit too dangerous to put our protagonist directly on top of the Voyager probe (which is definitely not insulated) and decided to place her in a space station instead. And here she is happily eating space ramen (blueberry flavour?) while things are happening around her and Jupiter looms large above.

Deskmat is priced at 22USD. (and yes that is a watermark on the mat dw)

Please also see some new dank renders on the Boomerang (soon tm), including one with the dark alphas

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2024, 23:28:37 by keepoto »

Offline LiftOffToSpace

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - Deskmat, GB on 24 Feb
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 11:45:47 »
The accent colors are so nice!

Offline keepoto

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - Deskmat, CA vendor, UK-ISO Kit, GB on 24 Feb
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 05:21:31 »
14/02/2024: happy valentines day singles and non-singles

Due to popular demand and multiple people voicing out in both the thread and IC form, UK-ISO kit will be included. Thank god there's no MOQ for this kit at KKB. NorDe is unlikely to be added since that has a MOQ and is gonna be expensive. Pricing is still TBD since KKB is still enjoying their holidays, but we expect the kit to be quite cheap given it's just 6 keys.

Separately, Mech.land is now the Canada vendor :)

Offline sauvieng

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 06:41:10 »
another Keepo banger.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 February 2024, 17:53:53 »

Due to popular demand and multiple people voicing out in both the thread and IC form, UK-ISO kit will be included. Thank god there's no MOQ for this kit at KKB. NorDe is unlikely to be added since that has a MOQ and is gonna be expensive. Pricing is still TBD since KKB is still enjoying their holidays, but we expect the kit to be quite cheap given it's just 6 keys.

Show Image

This is awesome for me. I was out and now I'm in.

Have you considered removing the ISO enter, short left shift, and <> and \| keys from the base and put them into the ISO kit? That way us UK users get their right layout but ANSI users don't need extraneous keys in base. This has happened as recently as GMK Olivia No.3 but also in other sets from 2023 like 80082. I'm not saying for sure you should definitely do this but it might be worth contemplating if it'd reduce the base kit price further whilst enhancing value of the ISO add-on kit.

Offline Heinze

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 February 2024, 10:00:15 »
At first, I was not interested. There was something off with the colour choice for my taste...

... And then, I kept coming back and forth to this topic. I finally realised I would buy it. It is absurdly good.

Offline keepoto

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - UK-ISO kit update, GB on 24 Feb
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 18 February 2024, 02:41:10 »
24/02/2024: thanks to Jae and Prototypist's generosity, the ISO-UK kit will be offered to all customers who purchase a Base Kit from Prototypist free of charge. We hope this could brighten your Sunday a bit further :)

Show Image

This is awesome for me. I was out and now I'm in.

Have you considered removing the ISO enter, short left shift, and <> and \| keys from the base and put them into the ISO kit? That way us UK users get their right layout but ANSI users don't need extraneous keys in base. This has happened as recently as GMK Olivia No.3 but also in other sets from 2023 like 80082. I'm not saying for sure you should definitely do this but it might be worth contemplating if it'd reduce the base kit price further whilst enhancing value of the ISO add-on kit.

Think it might be better for terminal / other ISO users if we put terminal ISO keys in base. Also we would prefer not to touch the base kit so late into IC in case pricing details change.

another Keepo banger.

At first, I was not interested. There was something off with the colour choice for my taste...

... And then, I kept coming back and forth to this topic. I finally realised I would buy it. It is absurdly good.

love you all

Offline SpookyGC

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 18 February 2024, 17:21:58 »
Would love to see a dark alpha base kit, but I know that would probably missing the point of your set lol.

GLWIC, would be interested in the Base + Dark alphas.

Offline keepoto

Re: [IC] KKB Outer Bounds - GB live!
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 February 2024, 08:33:59 »
GB is live!