Author Topic: Idea on Switch Modifications  (Read 1621 times)

Offline eRadicatedZomBiE

• It's OK, I'm A Doctor.
Idea on Switch Modifications
« on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 10:49:23 »
On a switch, when they say 50 million press guarantee (or something along those lines).

What on the Switch actually fails?
I would assume compressing the spring over and over again, creates a wear on the spring sort of like bending a paperclip back and forth until it degrades and breaks off.

What if on the bottom of the switch where the Spring rests you have a mechanism like that on a click pen that rotates to have the tip out and then retracts. This would rotate the spring a little bit every time you pressed a key, relieving the same spot of having pressure on it and would make the spring last that much longer.

The only downside I see is, it maybe cheaper to just buy a new switch than to add another moving part to it.

If this has already been done or I'm way off of what breaks down in the switch compartment, I apologize.

EDIT: I may have posted in the wrong area...
CM QFR | WASD V1 | Flico MJ2 LE Blue | Ducky 78 | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE  |Phantom |
Ergodox

My WTB Thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Idea on Switch Modifications
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 11:15:27 »
Only Rootwyrm can answer about the mechanics of infinite wear, but it has been my experience that switches fail in many different ways.

With the keyboards that I have owned, far more of the dead switches are due to electrical problems than mechanical parts wearing through.

After you have put in your 50 million strokes, just buy a new keyboard. At some point it isn't worth upgrading the parts.

I will certainly not live long enough to wear out the 4 Model Fs and half-dozen Model Ms that I own.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

Re: Idea on Switch Modifications
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:44:44 »
I believe that the leaf spring inside the switch is likely to break before the coiled spring does.

I had the housing of a switch (the one in the middle) break apart. (Yes, I know the colours are weird. The blue switches look green)
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:47:49 by Findecanor »