Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1853278 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:59:17 »
Or an Epsilon  ;)

The hottest new custom around ^__^

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:01:57 »
Forget the dusty old VCR.  Build a GH60!

Isn't the GB closed? If I could get my hands on one I'd consider it. A lot to know about layouts, mapping of switches (unless you do your whole board the same, but where's the fun in that) cases, etc.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:36:11 »
I want to start to solder...laugh at me and all,

but is the WLC100 a good start?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:37:31 »

Yes, but you could spend like $30 bucks more and have a hakko instead

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:38:05 »
I got 2 from amazon that had beat up boxes and burn marks...sent them both back

Trying the Hakko 888D (on order)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:39:37 »

I just started soldering and I have the WLC 100. I've had an easy time soldering with it. You may want to get an Edsyn Desoldering Pump because it made my desoldering effortless.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:42:44 »
I got 2 from amazon that had beat up boxes and burn marks...sent them both back
Trying the Hakko 888D (on order)

Sounds like i should wait until summer, so i will have a job and can pay for the hakko. Thanks for the advice

I just started soldering and I have the WLC 100. I've had an easy time soldering with it. You may want to get an Edsyn Desoldering Pump because it made my desoldering effortless.

shall look into that as well

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:49:07 »
Sounds like i should wait until summer, so i will have a job and can pay for the hakko. Thanks for the advice

The Hakko was only like $15 more on amazon than the weller

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 16:56:23 »
Are weller and hakko tips different?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 00:29:04 »
Are weller and hakko tips different?

yes as far as i know.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 05:01:40 »
This was just asked to me, so I figured I also mention it in this thread since it hasn't been brought up yet: if you want to clean up all the rosin and flux after soldering, you can use kimwipes with isopropyl alcohol.

Kimwipes are really for lab environment, but I use it because they're disposable microfiber tissues to prevent scratching, and also won't leave any lint fibers. For the cleaning solution, 99% isopropyl alcohol works well. Spray on a decent amount, and let it sit for a minute or two to disolve all the flux, then scrub with a brush or Q-tips, and finally finish it off with kimwipes. Alternatively, you can also literally submerge the whole PCB under a bowl (or bucket) of isopropyl alcohol, then take it out and air dry. Try not to use buy the cheapo isopropyl alcohol you find in walmart type stores. Those are weak and diluted.

http://www.amazon.com/Kimtech-Science-KimWipes-Delicate-Wiper/dp/B0013HT2QW

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Cleaner/dp/B005DNQX3C/ref=pd_sim_indust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z7nCAxS2Rg#t=28m12s

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 12:02:23 »
I need to get myself some 99% isopropyl.  I have 75% from the grocery, but I can only use it very carefully with qtips

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 12:55:48 »
I need to get myself some 99% isopropyl.  I have 75% from the grocery, but I can only use it very carefully with qtips

Anything 91% and above is great since it has <10% of water ( and dries cleaner ) and the 91% is more accessible than the 99%. You can visit your local drugs store and see if you can score some 99% and if you live in the states you can get one here and save some gas money.

Edit:

I also suggest taking off that rebranded DMM from OP, i wouldn't suggest that meter since it isn't accurate and the quality isn't much better than the $20 DMMs out there. Sure it has some features but it isn't a good entry point DMM.

This meter would be considered a much better suggestion and competes with $100+ DMMs out there.

At ~$56 best bang for your buck is the UNI-T UT61E DMM. Just make sure you clean the leads with alcohol when you receive it.
Some reviews show it overshoots but others don't, it could be fixed on newer revisions?
It is one of the best DC and AC DMM that also has TRUE RMS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT61E-AC-DC-Modern-Digital-Multimeter-gl-/251267628025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80b7bbf9

It has nice feature that tests smd components and  resistors with ease .

Show Image
Show Image

The test socket that is included can be used when measuring resistors and capacitors, both SMD and leaded components. It can also be used for transistor test, but not on this DMM model. Including this type of test socket is much safer than making extra holes in the meter for test connections.
Note: This socket uses the mAuA terminal, instead of the COM terminal, i.e. it requires that the meter supports this.

Some reviews.
More
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:03:38 by Thechemist »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 15:51:33 »
That would hold water if not for every review of the meter I have posted, while admitting it's a rebranded MASTECH, saying that it's a fine multimeter with good accuracy, range and durability.

Oh and "it competes well with 100+ DMMs", too.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:08:07 »
That would hold water if not for every review of the meter I have posted, while admitting it's a rebranded MASTECH, saying that it's a fine multimeter with good accuracy, range and durability.

Hahahaha, that brought tears to my eyes, I needed that laugh. Thanks.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:11:49 »
For the ones that speak spanish, rosin is called "pez/P de castilla". Also one could make flux directly out of tree resin with isopropylic alcohol, ideally pine because it is specially acid and a weak acid is needed to dissolve the outer corrosion layer of soldering. If too rusted, use some sandpaper.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:15:16 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:24:39 »

Hahahaha, that brought tears to my eyes, I needed that laugh. Thanks.

That's cool, don't suggest that DMM again, thanks.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:40:13 »
I guess this is communist Russia time or better yet China  :)) where information is a no-no.

I'll just leave this here for others to read since I assume, I still have that right and maybe next time post some proper reviews. That meter might be good at a $20 price point but not when it is in the price range of the meter i suggested and trust me i have done my research and can back it up.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/good-budgetish-multimeter/

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:42:31 »
Listen, you can be ****ty somewhere else, I don't really care.  But the fact remains that every time you brought up that other DMM, I looked into and compared the two and found nothing tangible for the usage that would justify the price difference.

Call it whatever you want, just call it that somewhere else and stop ****ting in my thread.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:48:39 »
Listen, you can be ****ty somewhere else, I don't really care.  But the fact remains that every time you brought up that other DMM, I looked into and compared the two and found nothing tangible for the usage that would justify the price difference.

Call it whatever you want, just call it that somewhere else and stop ****ting in my thread.

All I am trying to do is inform my fellow GHackers that there are other options out there with much better precision and actual options that are used in real world, I would expect someone to do the same for me. You may not think it but this thread will influence many readers and i just want them to have their facts straight before they purchase something they might regret later.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:04:08 »
See:  Be ****ty elsewhere.

To imply that I don't think this thread will have any influence is borderline insulting as that's exactly why I wrote it.  Just because I didn't fall over myself to add your suggestion, doesn't mean the opposite.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:10:09 »
I think it was more the fact that you laughed at what tjcaustin said, Thechemist. It shows very little respect for what tjcaustin is doing in this thread, and it contributes nothing to the conversation other than to show that you are another person to claim that his own research is the only research.

The DMM that has been suggested is fine. The one you suggested is also fine.
I suggest that we go back to the serious business of the keyboards and solder now.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:11:55 »
Well, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were intelligent enough to do your homework before you post things here.  You either don't think this thread will influence people, which you already admitted that it does, than the only other thing left is to assume you are ..........

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:16:56 »
Well, come on then, you had the balls to get that far.  Call me stupid, *******.

I would think the one that is clearly acting like he doesn't know what the phrase "reading comprehension" means shouldn't be talking down about someone else's intelligence.

Especially since it's based off of some rather bold assumptions that I didn't research your suggestion three (3) separate times and made the same judgement call that the additional umph was worth muddling the choices.  I feel like I just said this, too...

So again, go be ****ty elsewhere.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:20:50 »
I think it was more the fact that you laughed at what tjcaustin said, Thechemist. It shows very little respect for what tjcaustin is doing in this thread, and it contributes nothing to the conversation other than to show that you are another person to claim that his own research is the only research.

The DMM that has been suggested is fine. The one you suggested is also fine.
I suggest that we go back to the serious business of the keyboards and solder now.

I tried to suggest nicely at first that there are better options out there and my suggestions were just dismissed when i was just trying to help others. I also posted thorough reviews from reputable sources as you will see below. Tjcaustin was actually disrespecting me with his language and tone not I.

At ~$56 best bang for your buck is the UNI-T UT61E DMM. Just make sure you clean the leads with alcohol when you receive it.
Some reviews show it overshoots but others don't, it could be fixed on newer revisions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT61E-AC-DC-Modern-Digital-Multimeter-gl-/251267628025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80b7bbf9

Show Image
Show Image

The test socket that is included can be used when measuring resistors and capacitors, both SMD and leaded components. It can also be used for transistor test, but not on this DMM model. Including this type of test socket is much safer than making extra holes in the meter for test connections.
Note: This socket uses the mAuA terminal, instead of the COM terminal, i.e. it requires that the meter supports this.

Some reviews.
More

That Sinometer is junk a cheap rebrand ( can't calibrate and not very accurate ), I was doing research on which is the best DMM to buy and the one i posted earlier is the best bang for your buck and not that much more than that junky meter.

Anything 91% and above is great since it has <10% of water ( and dries cleaner ) and the 91% is more accessible than the 99%. You can visit your local drugs store and see if you can score some 99% and if you live in the states you can get one here and save some gas money.

Edit:

I also suggest taking off that rebranded DMM from OP, i wouldn't suggest that meter since it isn't accurate and the quality isn't much better than the $20 DMMs out there. Sure it has some features but it isn't a good entry point DMM.

This meter would be considered a much better suggestion and competes with $100+ DMMs out there.

Show Image
Show Image

Some reviews.
More

I guess this is communist Russia time or better yet China  :)) where information is a no-no.

I'll just leave this here for others to read since I assume, I still have that right and maybe next time post some proper reviews. That meter might be good at a $20 price point but not when it is in the price range of the meter i suggested and trust me i have done my research and can back it up.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/good-budgetish-multimeter/

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:23:22 by Thechemist »

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:24:42 »
Well, come on then, you had the balls to get that far.  Call me stupid, *******.

I would think the one that is clearly acting like he doesn't know what the phrase "reading comprehension" means shouldn't be talking down about someone else's intelligence.

Especially since it's based off of some rather bold assumptions that I didn't research your suggestion three (3) separate times and made the same judgement call that the additional umph was worth muddling the choices.  I feel like I just said this, too...

So again, go be ****ty elsewhere.

Please stop, I never called you stupid, you called yourself that.  :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:25:48 »
Cool story bro.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:26:07 »
I have the world's crappiest meter from back in my poor college days and for simple keyboard work it is plenty.  It seriously doesn't matter... The electronics aren't sensitive enough.  If anyone wants a really good one that will be dependable for many years,  get a Fluke and be done with it.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:04:32 »

So I picked up "Getting started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III over the weekend, already about 50 pages in. It's all pretty basic stuff so far, but it's pretty useful information if you're looking to do work with circuitry and electronics. Others who are looking to get a foothold in the electronics world might do well to start here.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Electronics-Forrest-Mims/dp/0945053282/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368464739&sr=8-1&keywords=getting+started+in+electronics+by+forrest+m.+mims+iii
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:11:06 by Internetlad »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:57:57 »

which hakko should i be looking for?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:58:59 »

888D - mine should come today.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:01:18 »

the WLC100 is like ~$30
the 888D is like ~$90

am i looking at the wrong 888D?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:03:08 »

So is there some debate on the digital versus analog and proper temperature control? I was just reading some reviews on both and it seemed like some prefer one over the other but I wasn't sure if that was a personal preference or an actual real world use issue.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:06:06 »

the WLC100 is like ~$30
the 888D is like ~$90

am i looking at the wrong 888D?

Perhaps TJ was thinking of the Weller WES51 not the 100

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:23:45 »

The current base model Hakko is the FX-888D. The previous model was the analog FX-888. You might also be able to pick up a nice used Hakko 936. The 936 was around for years, and there are plenty of nice used ones around.

Also, the Weller WLC100 is a little basic. It's just above a Radio Shack iron. The WLC100 has no real temperature control, just a dial from 1-5 which controls the wattage to the iron.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:25:58 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:41:49 »
So is there some debate on the digital versus analog and proper temperature control? I was just reading some reviews on both and it seemed like some prefer one over the other but I wasn't sure if that was a personal preference or an actual real world use issue.

That's what i'm concerned about. It seems like the actual adjustment is the issue, as the 888D only has 2 buttons, making precision temperatures hard to pinpoint. It also (ironically) apparently doesn't show you the actual temperature (like an oven) but rather just the target temp, which would be a huge plus on a digital iron.

At the moment i'm thinking of going with the manual weller, it looks like less of a toy, and it's 'MURICAN

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:49:00 »

That's what i'm concerned about. It seems like the actual adjustment is the issue, as the 888D only has 2 buttons, making precision temperatures hard to pinpoint. It also (ironically) apparently doesn't show you the actual temperature (like an oven) but rather just the target temp, which would be a huge plus on a digital iron.

At the moment i'm thinking of going with the manual weller, it looks like less of a toy, and it's 'MURICAN

I had also read somewhere that the 888D doesn't show the actual temperature, but rather the target temp.  Then I watched this review,
t=3m43s and at the time I've linked to it seems to be showing the actual temperature.
Maybe someone who owns one can comment further.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:56:15 »
My Hakko FX-888D appears to show the actual temperature, as it shows the temp on the display as the iron is heating up. Also, it will drop a couple degrees if you wipe the tip on a sponge with water.

The digital adjustment is precise, and not hard to set. The adjustment button only goes in one direction, up, so if you miss your target temp, you just have to go back around again. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:14:19 »
Good to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:47:50 »
What technique do you guys use for freeing bent pins that are soldered on in between the pin and the PCB?

Just hold the tip on the leg until the solder underneath melts?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:34:15 »
I use my teeth.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:24:09 »
What technique do you guys use for freeing bent pins that are soldered on in between the pin and the PCB?

Just hold the tip on the leg until the solder underneath melts?

after desoldering a WYSE terminal board today, I really want to know why they bent the pins on some of the switch legs. It's annoying.

Ahh, so that's what you meant in the soldering thread. :)  I couldn't quite get what you were asking. Yeah, just remove the solder from the joint. Then, to remove the switch from the PCB/plate, put the tip of a phillips head screwdriver on the little nub where the switch pokes out of the PCB, and push...hard! It will pop right out of there.

I recently desoldered 12 WYSE terminal boards over a couple days. About half of them were made in Taiwan. On those boards, it looked as if they were soldered by hand, not by machine. Every solder joint had textbook solder fills that covered 100% of the solder pad and were perfectly concave. I have no idea why they bent those pins, though.

in memoriam

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:00:35 »
The one I desoldered tonight didn't. It had the gross round solder on the bent pins instead of the concave ones.

I use my teeth.

Dang girl, you naughty.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 01:33:23 »
I recently got in an OKI PS900 soldering iron, and it's excellent. You can hot change tips with the base, which is really nice. The "smart heat" makes a lot of sense to me, but I know many are skeptical. I haven't tried the famous Hakko FX888[D] so I can't compare there.

The only thing I can think of about those bent pins on WYSE is that it'd help keep it in place a little better. I still have yet to try desoldering, but the last time I used my edsyn soldapullt, it was a disaster, I couldn't get it to work at all!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 11:12:05 »
looking to make an exhaust pipe for my solder work, thinking one of those wire and paper ducts and a 120 mm fan would work fine, eh? Just set it up to pull air and stick it out the window?

You guys figure any hardware store should have that paper ducts? Is it a good idea to use that or is there something else I should consider?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 11:13:27 »
looking to make an exhaust pipe for my solder work, thinking one of those wire and paper ducts and a 120 mm fan would work fine, eh? Just set it up to pull air and stick it out the window?

You guys figure any hardware store should have that paper ducts? Is it a good idea to use that or is there something else I should consider?

You can do that, or you can make an activated carbon filter and stick that on the back of your fan.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 13:23:16 »

I've been thinking about dealing with fumes lately as well here are a few things I've found

thread by mkawa -> http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40060.0

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fume-Extractor/

http://hackaday.com/2008/08/05/how-to-the-hackers-soldering-station/

this is I think is just cool not sure how much good it would really do

http://blog.makezine.com/2008/03/30/diy-fume-extractor-1/

21995-0

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:45:48 »
that reminds me i forgot to post a picture for that thread

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:16:39 »
Is the burger king crown needed for proper operation of the fanbox?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:19:41 »
yes. such a fume extractor only works if it is coronated king of the desk.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.