Author Topic: New custom build based on M0110A - The Ferguson, aka Fergie  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
New custom build based on M0110A - The Ferguson, aka Fergie
« on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:28:26 »
Just minutes ago I completed my latest build. Of course I have to post some pics right away! :D

106135-1 106137-2

Now I just need to get a nice old-timey USB cable for it. Maybe something in beige and/or brown.

The inside. Not as fancy. This was my first attempt working with leather, so it could probably be made to look nicer. Wiring is basically the same as my previous boards - hand wired matrix and a Teensy 2.0 with TMK.

106176-3 106178-4
106180-5 106182-6

The project started when I found a wrecked M0110A in my old storage boxes from when we ran a computer club in the town where I live. It had been dropped or otherwise mishandled, and after that someone had tried to repair it with.. I don't know.. a blowtorch? Anyway, I figured I could rip it apart, gather enough switches for a 60%, cut the plate and assemble it all in a new housing. Considering the M0110 and M0110A are quite bulky and high, I thought an integrated wrist rest would be nice, so I made one from wood and leather and mounted it. Liked it and started to work on the rest of the design. The USB-B port was an idea that got ditched later on. Went for a cleaner look with the cable just sneaking out in the back. Not sure, but maybe this one is getting a bottom plate.. but I don't like what that does to the sound with resonance and stuff.

106184-7 106186-8
106188-9 106190-10
106192-11 106194-12
106196-13 106198-14
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2015, 04:54:28 by Yoe »

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: New custom build based on M0110A - The Ferguson, aka Fergie
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:34:22 »
I like it.  Do you have any pictures of the guts or a build log?

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:41:17 »
I like it.  Do you have any pictures of the guts or a build log?

Guts and progress pictures will be added… probably tomorrow :)

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 04:56:05 »
OP updated with more info and pictures!

Offline OverKill

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 05:39:01 »
That thing looks great. Nice work!

Offline neverused

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:26:19 »
Very nice work... Any pics of the donor board before it was disassembled?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:39:06 »
Extremely well done build, I like the way you used the flat cable to tidy it up. Just need to ask why you used kapton tape on the cable. Now I see that you used TWO THREE flat cables, not only one. Clever idea. :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2015, 09:58:55 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 08:56:24 »
I love that you post the pictures here and on Instagram. Nice looking build. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Offline yehoshuaf

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 10:34:47 »
I like it. I like the combination of retro caps and the new case.

I actually have two m0110's and an m0110a that I'm rebuilding. Unfortunately, I'm too picky to live with the vintage tee switches though. They hurt my hands. I'm converting one to use matias switches and I'll do the other (both?) using cherry switches. I'm trying to use the original case/caps.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 10:50:21 »
this is awesome!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 12:55:24 »
Thanks! :)

Very nice work... Any pics of the donor board before it was disassembled?

Only this pic, and that's only half of the disaster showing:

106214-0

I like it. I like the combination of retro caps and the new case.

I actually have two m0110's and an m0110a that I'm rebuilding. Unfortunately, I'm too picky to live with the vintage tee switches though. They hurt my hands. I'm converting one to use matias switches and I'll do the other (both?) using cherry switches. I'm trying to use the original case/caps.

Interesting! Are you making adapters, modifying stems, or what?

Offline yehoshuaf

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 13:45:20 »

Well. It's been a process. :) I originally soldered the matias switches to the original circuit board, but I couldn't get them perfectly straight, so I CNC'd a plastic plate for the switches to snap into. This came out great.

I planned on using essentially "sticks" as adapters, since the cap and switch are both females. Same problem. They're not straight enough. Works well but looks like crooked teeth. Now I'm using this as an excuse to CNC and mold my own adapters out of resin. I'm still working on the 3D model for the adapter. Kinda makes me wish I used cherry switches to start. :)

This model, btw, allows you to put the Apple keycaps on cherry switches, but they'd sit a bit low on these keyboards:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UAXHBNY7S/cherry-to-commodore-print-v1-1?li=productBox-search

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 20:54:12 »
Congratulations.  That's one good looking product.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 08:49:51 »

Well. It's been a process. :) I originally soldered the matias switches to the original circuit board, but I couldn't get them perfectly straight, so I CNC'd a plastic plate for the switches to snap into. This came out great.

I planned on using essentially "sticks" as adapters, since the cap and switch are both females. Same problem. They're not straight enough. Works well but looks like crooked teeth. Now I'm using this as an excuse to CNC and mold my own adapters out of resin. I'm still working on the 3D model for the adapter. Kinda makes me wish I used cherry switches to start. :)

This model, btw, allows you to put the Apple keycaps on cherry switches, but they'd sit a bit low on these keyboards:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UAXHBNY7S/cherry-to-commodore-print-v1-1?li=productBox-search

Aah, I see. Did you ever consider swapping the springs for some lighter ones?

Cherry switches fit in the plate with no problem, right? (And then hand wire the matrix..) Soft linears like MX reds could be nice if you still want linears. Cherry switches would feel less flimsy with long stems and/or adapters than the Matias switches, I think. Anyway… I'm just throwing thoughts out there now. I guess you're on top of it already :)

Offline yehoshuaf

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 10:32:24 »

Cherry switches fit in the plate with no problem, right? (And then hand wire the matrix..) Soft linears like MX reds could be nice if you still want linears. Cherry switches would feel less flimsy with long stems and/or adapters than the Matias switches, I think. Anyway… I'm just throwing thoughts out there now. I guess you're on top of it already :)

Yea, I changed some of the springs to try and make it easier. It was way better, but I hate linear switches. Hate. :)

Cherry switches snap into the existing plate great. I think I'll do that for the second one I've got, but I'll also wire it to the original board. I like the idea of it being backwards compatible. Plus, I can use the same altoids adapter for all the keyboards without wasting more teensies.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 15:11:34 »
Stylish build! Great idea of using L-profile oak siding that way.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 02:34:53 »

Stylish build! Great idea of using L-profile oak siding that way.

Thanks :) That would have been a great idea, I agree. :) I just used materials at hand and used dowels and glue to make the L-profile this time.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 02:39:36 »

Yea, I changed some of the springs to try and make it easier. It was way better, but I hate linear switches. Hate. :)

Cherry switches snap into the existing plate great. I think I'll do that for the second one I've got, but I'll also wire it to the original board. I like the idea of it being backwards compatible. Plus, I can use the same altoids adapter for all the keyboards without wasting more teensies.

Hate?! Yikes! :D Imo linears are ok, but I do prefer tactiles. Cherry tactiles aren't very nice compared to Alps, though.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:36:58 »
Ok, so I found a cable sleeveing that works with this one, I think. Just waiting for my usb-a connectors so I can complete the cable.