Author Topic: Advice for desoldering?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline javallet

Advice for desoldering?
« on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:40:53 »
Hi all,

I'm currently working on swapping the MX reds on my Poker 2 to be MX whites, and running into some delays with the switch/LED desoldering.  I've built a few boards so far and didn't run into issues with the soldering, but the desoldering both the switch joints and the LEDs are driving me nuts  :'(

My current setup is a Hakko (https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d.html), and I'm using a small desoldering pump like this: http://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Removal/dp/B003FHYL7I. For tips, I have a really fine sharp tip, and a more rounded tip (still pretty small).  I was setting the iron to about 750 degrees F.

For the switches, I'm struggling with pressing the tabs that mount the switch to the plate and also hold the iron to the joints (incase there is any solder left).  Any protips?

As for the LEDs, I'm have a really hard time getting the desoldering pump to actually pull all of the solder up.  I know there are expensive desoldering tools that make this a lot easier, but if anyone has any quick wins, that would be awesome!

Offline SixtyLife

Re: Advice for desoldering?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:45:23 »
for desoldering, try adding some fresh solder to the stubborn ones. makes it much easier to desolder when there's little more solder in place.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:45:58 »
Don't hold the iron while popping out switches, just remove all the solder you can and if there's some left try flux then the pump. If there is still a tiny bit that won't move I'll grab a small screwdriver and push on the pin lightly to see if the small bit of solder will shear and allow the pin to move.

Edit: Adding fresh solder will do the same thing as adding flux
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 20:47:28 »
I use a 2.4mm tip when desoldering. It took me a bit to get my technique down, but I hear up the solder, hold the pump at a right angle to the tip, with the pin in the center. I then wait a second or two for the whole pad and solder to heat up, then push the pump.

Offline cutterline

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 21:11:35 »
For something not heat sensitive and not smd component like switch, you can use electric desoldering pump.
Something like this
(Note: I just pick random google result so I don't know about the quality)

It makes life a lot easier than using solder and manual desoldering pump. Using both and most of soldering pump has huge tip is like operating with butter knife.
You just need to put it there and wait until the solder melts and voila.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 21:28:36 »
This video may help you:

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 01:34:13 »
This video may help you:

Great video, thanks!
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline Armagedda

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 01:41:04 »
Adding fresh solder is a great tip, this did me a world of good when I first started.

Make sure your solder pump isn't getting clogged up either, mine gets clogged with bits all the time and taking it apart and shaking all the crap out always helps me.

You could also try using copper desoldering braid if you really hate the pump.

In the last week I've desoldered 2 TKLs and I hadn't done any solder work in about a year and a half before this, so I'm feeling your pain. But the best way through this is honestly just practice...and make sure you've got plenty of good podcasts to pass the unending hours of work with, or a few stiff drinks.

After a while it becomes sort of fun, in a really grim and depressing way.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 01:43:30 »
After a while it becomes sort of fun, in a really grim and depressing way.

lol so accurate.
I love Elzy

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 07:53:50 »
I have something like this that works pretty well for small jobs.

Remember to blow out the residue after each suck!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 07:35:41 »
Hi all,

I'm currently working on swapping the MX reds on my Poker 2 to be MX whites, and running into some delays with the switch/LED desoldering.  I've built a few boards so far and didn't run into issues with the soldering, but the desoldering both the switch joints and the LEDs are driving me nuts  :'(

My current setup is a Hakko (https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d.html), and I'm using a small desoldering pump like this: http://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Removal/dp/B003FHYL7I. For tips, I have a really fine sharp tip, and a more rounded tip (still pretty small).  I was setting the iron to about 750 degrees F.

For the switches, I'm struggling with pressing the tabs that mount the switch to the plate and also hold the iron to the joints (incase there is any solder left).  Any protips?

As for the LEDs, I'm have a really hard time getting the desoldering pump to actually pull all of the solder up.  I know there are expensive desoldering tools that make this a lot easier, but if anyone has any quick wins, that would be awesome!

grunch

This video was very helpful for me