Author Topic: Do people like OEM profile  (Read 21152 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: Do people like OEM profile
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 04:06:19 »
i have taihao sunshine on oem profile and they are not too bad. i prefer the step sculpture 2 from varmilo (closer to cherry) and dsa's tho.

Offline Aricil

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 11:44:12 »
Same with other peeps, started out with OEM, and willing to try other layouts. Been keen to look out for SA or DSA.
Same.
The SA caps I've been able to get my hands on don't fit the color scheme I've got going so I'm still on stock Varmilo caps, although they're not bad.

Yeah, the stock Varmilo caps are actually really great. I wish I could just order sets of caps off them without having to buy a whole 'nother keyboard sometimes.
Professional amateur.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 12:02:57 »
Same with other peeps, started out with OEM, and willing to try other layouts. Been keen to look out for SA or DSA.
Same.
The SA caps I've been able to get my hands on don't fit the color scheme I've got going so I'm still on stock Varmilo caps, although they're not bad.

Yeah, the stock Varmilo caps are actually really great. I wish I could just order sets of caps off them without having to buy a whole 'nother keyboard sometimes.
Well you could actually. Might still be able to. I'd check the Varmilo forum. Although Miya quit she posted an email there.
She's mentioned to me that you could by caps. Even custom ones.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 01:49:54 »
OEM sounds a little tough for me

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 05:33:18 »
OEM sounds a little tough for me

Same material as non-OEM profile keycaps, just a bit taller than a lot of other sets.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 06:31:05 »
At home, I'm trying an OEM keycap set, after using DCS. So far, it feels a bit different, but not bad. I'm pretty sure I'll like it once I get used to it, and once I finish changing all the keycaps (it's a bit of a mess right now, with some keys upside down, because it was dark when I put them up, and I've been too lazy to fix them since then :P)

Offline Micdeez

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 00:33:49 »
I am really adjusting quite quick on the cherry profile caps on the stock Leopold caps. I guess they call them "step sculpture" but they feel cherry to me.

Definitely the best stock caps I've tried so far. Much better than the stock caps that came with my Ducky One TKL (DS ABS)

Offline E3E

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:22:51 »
I think Cherry's original nomenclature for the cylindrical profile was "stepped" while spherical caps were designated "sculpted" if they had different rows. I forget the terminology used for uniform rows. Saw this in an old ad brochure someone posted a while back.

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:09:39 »
I prefer cherry profile or SA...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:25:13 »
I am really adjusting quite quick on the cherry profile caps on the stock Leopold caps. I guess they call them "step sculpture" but they feel cherry to me.

Definitely the best stock caps I've tried so far. Much better than the stock caps that came with my Ducky One TKL (DS ABS)

Step sculpture are pretty close to Cherry profile, I had an FC660M and its caps are almost the same height than the rows of Cherry, but the bottom row.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:08:12 »
Currently switching around ducky oem, varmilo step sculpture 2, Granite DSA, and taihao (im not so sure what profile they have now)

But all i can say is that tai-hao feels so cheap compared to the other sets, granite is thin but the spherical top compensates.

Tai-hao are just thin, and i got mine with lots of minor defects

Also, the taihao doubleshot keycaps im using tends to be incompatible with my varmilo va87 (this board has leds on the bottom of the switch) which is a bit annoying. so im selling this set ASAP  :-\

on the bright side, OEM ducky PBT keycaps feels nice (mine is engraved so they feel pretty good)

Offline yottagray

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:24:27 »
They do in a pinch, but ever since I got my hands on some GMK caps, OEM is dead to me...  ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:32:00 »
They do in a pinch, but ever since I got my hands on some GMK caps, OEM is dead to me...  ;)

OEM sucks, that is a fact, and facts are undisputed, you can tolerate it, live with it; if there is no option, but that does not change the simple reality.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:19:28 »

OEM sucks, that is a fact, and facts are undisputed, you can tolerate it, live with it; if there is no option, but that does not change the simple reality.

i do prefer my step sculpture 2 over my ducky oem. but whats with all the hate on OEM? hahaha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 21:54:45 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

You have seen the light :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 11:39:27 »

i do prefer my step sculpture 2 over my ducky oem. but whats with all the hate on OEM? hahaha

Sometimes, I feel as though the hate is only there because of what's associated with OEM caps and not the profile itself - that they are stock, thin ABS, often printed, and sometimes have displeasing fonts. I wonder whether the hate would persist if boards came with thin Cherry profile caps as the standard and OEM profile caps were produced as thick doubleshot ABS.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 11:48:26 »

Sometimes, I feel as though the hate is only there because of what's associated with OEM caps and not the profile itself - that they are stock, thin ABS, often printed, and sometimes have displeasing fonts. I wonder whether the hate would persist if boards came with thin Cherry profile caps as the standard and OEM profile caps were produced as thick doubleshot ABS.

In a fantasy world we all love thin key caps in any profile with whatever font and printing process you may imagine, GH and DT run group buys for thousands of WASD sets and people love to show their almost transparent key caps with beautiful high resolution shots.

Offline emdude

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 11:59:46 »

FWIW, I am predominantly an Alps user and basically all available key sets, vintage or otherwise, are OEM-profile (with the exception of maybe one or two distinct keyboards with Cherry profile and vintage Apple boards). 

Because good quality Alps key sets are hard to come by and often cannot be fully utilized due to wonky, often non-standard layouts, it is nice to be able to mix-and-match key sets.

I certainly agree with your point, that the actual profile is kinda irrelevant, albeit for different reasons.  If Cherry or some other profile were instead standard for Alps, I think that would be my preference.

That said, I have also tried beam spring-profile sphericals and I cannot say I care for that profile very much, not sure why.

EDIT: After rereading the first few posts of this thread, I have been reminded by Jacobolus' post that Alps 'OEM' is actually its own distinct profile that is close, but not quite, to 'standard' OEM.  Still, my opinion stands as long as there is uniformity among key sets I use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:17:04 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK