Author Topic: Do people like OEM profile  (Read 21102 times)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Do people like OEM profile
« on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 01:55:06 »
Im thinking of ordering some keysets in the oem profile,

Id like to hear other peoples opinion on the matter, i myself dont like SA,DSA. So right now, cherry profile is all i use.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Do people like OEM profile
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 02:13:25 »
I got some PBT Vortex caps as my first upgade from stock thin ABS and they felt great at the time, but they are white and ANSI and looked weird covering parts of my black ISO board so since getting other sets they're just sitting in a bag.

If you fancy a change give them a go, your fingers like what they like and our opinions won't change that :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 02:42:27 »
feel like i will get some npkc to try them out, cheap and thick and cool colors :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 03:17:22 »
Go for it, will be interesting to see what you think without expectation bias that whatever you just bought must be an improvement over what it replaced.  Not sure OEM gets that chance very often!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 03:36:17 »
i know daerid has posted somewhere that he prefers proper OEM rather than cherry profile, would be nice to hear his opinion.

Ill do a write up when i get them =) im just thinking how many i should order.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:30:37 »
Most Tai Hao sets are OEM profile.  I have a few of those in ABS and PBT.

I do rotate them in sometimes, I don't mind them.

Currently using SA though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:51:28 »
Tai Hao keycaps are *not* the same profile as those “OEM” keycaps found on LED-backlit gamer boards.

Tai Hao keycaps are basically the Alps cylindrical profile from the mid–late 1980s, sometimes with an extra-tall function row (and sometimes not).

I recommend getting a mix of various different profiles, and using the taller keycaps for the further-away rows, so you get more step from row to row. That not meet your aesthetic goals though, especially since the best feeling layout will probably leave the legends wrong on most of the keys. :-)

For a photo comparison, check out https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:55:56 by jacobolus »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:54:42 »
Tai Hao keycaps are *not* the same profile as those “OEM” keycaps found on LED-backlit gamer boards.

Tai Hao keycaps are basically the Alps cylindrical profile from the mid–late 1980s.

I recommend getting a mix of Cherry and “OEM” profiles, and using the taller keycaps for the further-away rows, so you get more step from row to row. That not meet your aesthetic goals though, especially since the best feeling layout will probably leave the legends wrong on most of the keys. :-)

Oh.

Well, more OEMish than Cherry profile, anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 05:59:48 »
They’re reasonably close. I suspect other keycaps called “OEM profile” will also turn out to be subtly different from each-other, but I don’t really have all that many types of MX-compatible keycaps, so I couldn’t say for sure.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 06:00:43 »
alps taiho and oem are pretty similar by the looks of it.

I do have some taihos at home for alps, although i fear i wont get the switches for my board before the drop ends.

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 11:34:12 »
They’re reasonably close. I suspect other keycaps called “OEM profile” will also turn out to be subtly different from each-other, but I don’t really have all that many types of MX-compatible keycaps, so I couldn’t say for sure.

Thanks for posting that chart :)  Very handy..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 12:44:50 »
For the record, I like OEM profile.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 12:53:19 »
Only if it's mandatory. People who collect Clack blanks don't seem to mind, either.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 12:55:48 »
that chart needs IBM
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Morituri

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 15:57:29 »
I prefer DSA.  On a curved plate, if possible, but DSA. 
We're going to solve strong AI.  Then it's going to solve us.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 21:03:15 »
I have a couple of sets from TaiHao, that are in OEM profile abs, quite liking them, I think my varmilo kb is on Cherry profile.

I have to say OEM takes a bit of getting used to, get a bit more of mistakes, maybe cause they are slightly higher.

trying to find some nice thick pbt, in OEM profile with side printed, not sure if they even exist.

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 21:42:53 »
Only if it's mandatory. People who collect Clack blanks don't seem to mind, either.

Basically this for me. I had OEM before I had cherry profile, and I sold my OEM set right after. The height difference is pretty noticeable, and I preferred the lower profile. But some nice sets only come in OEM/DCS like Toxic and the Bro set, so I would still use em for aesthetics mainly lol

I have a couple of sets from TaiHao, that are in OEM profile abs, quite liking them, I think my varmilo kb is on Cherry profile.

I have to say OEM takes a bit of getting used to, get a bit more of mistakes, maybe cause they are slightly higher.

trying to find some nice thick pbt, in OEM profile with side printed, not sure if they even exist.

Here ya go my dude http://www.geekkeys.com/grey-side-printed-pbt-104-keyset/ There's also a white set too
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 June 2016, 21:54:23 by Reigning Hell »

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 22:41:47 »
I like the OEM profile and in my perception it falls right between DSA and SA. I need some ergonomics for my typing and gaming sessions so I gave up on both the flat DSA and super tall SA. Typing with a SA keycap set installed actually caused some wrist pain and since I never tried Cherry, at least for now, OEM is definitely the best option for me.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 23:21:10 »
I love the look of DSA, but I'm not good with actually using them.  I'll try them again if I ever get my Novatouch fixed or have a spare MX keyboard laying about.

I'm not sure what profile keykaps the Varmilo VA87 I just ordered came with, but I'm hoping it's either Cherry or OEM.  I'll find out when I get back from jury duty.

I'd very much like to try SA despite my hesitancy in buying ABS keycaps.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:01:52 »
I like sculptured; for me, it doesn't really matter what profile it just has to be sculptured.. definitely sculptured.. definitely. I want to try DSA on a curved plate though, that sounds comfy

Offline brighenne

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:48:24 »
I strongly prefer cherry profile to any other.

Offline kingpilcrow

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:55:00 »
Same here.

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:29:12 »
I strongly prefer cherry profile to any other.

I'm looking forward to try Cherry can you do a quick comparison versus OEM? The angles and heights of the keycaps look very similar, I wonder what's so different about Cherry.

Offline zslane

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:37:17 »
OEM is cylindrical. Cylindrical = no bueno for me.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 21:15:04 »

Basically this for me. I had OEM before I had cherry profile, and I sold my OEM set right after. The height difference is pretty noticeable, and I preferred the lower profile. But some nice sets only come in OEM/DCS like Toxic and the Bro set, so I would still use em for aesthetics mainly lol

Here ya go my dude http://www.geekkeys.com/grey-side-printed-pbt-104-keyset/ There's also a white set too

OMG!!! I think I shouldn't have asked!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks!

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 11:55:07 »
Love the cherry profile for typing, but somehow prefer oem for gaming.
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 13:54:42 »
The OEM profile itself isn't bad, but most of the resulting keycaps made in that profile are pretty lousy.

But what does it matter, I use Cherry most of the time.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 14:05:21 »
I ordered the purple Tao Bao drop, I'm looking forward on getting them installed and trying them.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 15:42:01 »
OEM is fine, pretty much the industry standard by now. Cherry profile is better, but OEM will do in a pinch.

They are a bit too high though. Do not like high profile caps  >:D

Offline letsjigsrocks

• Don't you think its cute?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 16:23:09 »
Never tried the OEM. but the step sculpture 2 (cherry profile as well) from Varmilo is just fine with me. I'd like to try the DSA, really like the low profile keycap. but not with rubberdome  :p

VA87MR

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 19:14:23 »
I guess for the majority of mechanical keyboard owners, our first board probably came with OEM profile keycaps.
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 19:15:34 »
Prefer Cherry because of how it looks, but I started out with OEM. Nothing wrong with them, there is just better stuff out there for me.

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 19:20:56 »
Same with other peeps, started out with OEM, and willing to try other layouts. Been keen to look out for SA or DSA.
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:36:49 »
I've tried OEM, Cherry, DSA, and SA profile and I still like OEM the best.  It feels "just right".

Cherry middle row (home row) feels too shallow, feels inconsistent compare to other rows, though I have no issues with other rows in Cherry profile.

DSA is not bad but since it's spherical the surface area at the top feels a bit smaller.

SA sculpted is too "sculpted" for me, I'll hit the edge of keycap when gliding up or down a row.  However SA uniform is great and I like it.

So for me:

OEM > SA uniform > Cherry > DSA > SA sculpted
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:38:35 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Aricil

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 13:38:36 »
I love OEM profile. Cherry profile is alright on my novatouch and linear switches. I also really like the varmilo keycaps as a sort of hybrid between OEM and cherry. I like OEM a lot. I'm still waiting to see if I can find my perfect profile, but so far I think my favorite's been what Varmilo does in between.
Professional amateur.

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 13:56:27 »
The only issues Ive had with them is that lots of aftermarket caps are Cherry profile, not OEM, so finding replacements can be hard.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:02:02 »
no

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:24:10 »
I like the so-called OEM profile in reasonable quality PBT, such as those made by Ducky.

As Jacobolus pointed out, there can be variations within a stated profile. For example, I have found that different sets claiming to be "Cherry profile" were actually of different heights on the same row when installed on a keyboard. This is because the "skirt height" could be the same, so that the caps would be the same height when placed on a level surface, but the stems can be of different heights, which results in different heights when mounted on the switch stems.

Note that Leopold has its own profile, and "Cherry profile" caps made by Gateron differ in installed height from some other Cherry profile caps.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 01:25:06 »
Same with other peeps, started out with OEM, and willing to try other layouts. Been keen to look out for SA or DSA.
Same.
The SA caps I've been able to get my hands on don't fit the color scheme I've got going so I'm still on stock Varmilo caps, although they're not bad.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 01:45:25 »
OEM isn't bad.  If there's a nice looking set in OEM profile, I'd be fine picking it up.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 02:03:19 »

I'd like to try SA as well, but the prices are big for trying them out.

I couldn't handle DSA and will be selling the PMK set I bought earlier.  They look nice, but my fingers have issues with them.  :shrug:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 05:53:29 »
Could you say that Model M keycaps are OEM profile?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 06:00:34 »
No.

Offline Aricil

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:01:15 »
I like sculptured; for me, it doesn't really matter what profile it just has to be sculptured.. definitely sculptured.. definitely. I want to try DSA on a curved plate though, that sounds comfy

What's going on with your Novatouch?
Professional amateur.

Offline E3E

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:14:22 »
Could you say that Model M keycaps are OEM profile?

They are certainly a taller profile like OEM, but if you look at the caps, you can see that they're actually taller in comparison to OEM. The skirting, at least, goes down quite a ways.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:20:12 »
OEM profile is neat to for me to use for the WASD cluster while using a lower profile for the rest of the keys. Overall though, OEM seems a bit less refined of a fit than Cherry, but OEM has its place. I don't think it's bad, just a bit oversized. I think Cherry designed their profile for their switches to make the best synergy between the two since they wobble less together and feel tighter than OEM, but OEM doesn't interfere with LEDs like on Ducky boards. I tried putting Cherry and Leopold caps on a Ducky One and some of the caps don't bottom out properly because they hit the LEDs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2016, 01:38:33 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 02:20:54 »
OEM profile is neat to for me to use for the WASD cluster while using a lower profile for the rest of the keys. Overall though, OEM seems a bit less refined of a fit than Cherry, but OEM has its place. I don't think it's bad, just a bit oversized. I think Cherry designed their profile for their switches to make the best synergy between the two since they wobble less together and feel tighter than OEM, but OEM doesn't interfere with LEDs like on Ducky boards. I tried putting Cherry and Leopold caps on a Ducky One and some of the caps don't bottom out properly because they hit the LEDs.

OEM on WASD?  I assume that's for gaming and not typing?

Offline E3E

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 14:36:21 »

OEM on WASD?  I assume that's for gaming and not typing?

I think it'd be very peculiar if it wasn't for gaming. Yeah, ya know, I just like the aesthetics of a raised WASD. :P

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 22:04:27 »
Comparing with higher keycaps.I'd prefer the lower one

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 23:00:49 »
using some taiho dblsht abs, in sortta OEM profile, at work, have cherry profile at home, and I sometimes mistype using OEM when I'm at work, can't decide which set to stick to, but I agree the OEM do seem to be a bit taller, and without a wrist rest the arch upwards, is def more significant.

maybe will try a set of cherry profiles at work.