Author Topic: DSA Retro Set (SHIPPED!)  (Read 1702089 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: DSA Retro Set
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 20:24:38 »
You know what you should do?  Give your GB system to iMav.  They could host the GBs on Geekhack and configure it to slurp a buck off of every order to donate to the cause.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:13:40 »
You know what you should do?  Give your GB system to iMav.  They could host the GBs on Geekhack and configure it to slurp a buck off of every order to donate to the cause.
Don't.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:16:19 »
Don't.

That's an amazingly well thought out argument you've presented.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:40:12 »
Don't.

That's an amazingly well thought out argument you've presented.

"Don't." more elaborate: "You know what you shouldn't do? Give your GB system to iMav."

In short: I have a problem with GH's mentality to own (or steal) all intellectual properties of its users (thumbs up if they changed those terms by now).
But since Matt3o plans on making it open source, why should he "give" (let iMav/GH take over ownership) his code away? Just was poorly phrased by metalliqaz. Unless he intended to push Matt3o into transferring ownership...

Offline fydo

• Meow!
DSA Retro Set
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 21:50:42 »
I imagine if he just threw the source up on Github or something, we can all contribute any changes (or fork and make our own versions, depending on whatever license he chooses)
I'd imagine this group buy software would be beneficial to even non-keycap group buys, so it's very generous that it would made open source. :)
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 23:15:48 »
Settle down.  No one would ever ask such a thing of Matt.  There is no reason to think iMav or anyone else would.  It would be completely inappropriate and unnecessary.  It's his software to do with as he pleases.
Russ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 23:21:35 »
I think the whole point of the post was that, as consumers, we should be giving something back to the forum we take for granted. If everyone who participated in a GB had $1.00 added to their order, it would make for a small, good faith donation back to the site.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 23:47:21 »
I think the whole point of the post was that, as consumers, we should be giving something back to the forum we take for granted. If everyone who participated in a GB had $1.00 added to their order, it would make for a small, good faith donation back to the site.
And by site you sure mean GH.
What about DT? This GB originates from there after all...
Donations to either site is shiit. Rather give Matt3o the extra moneys for his programming efforts and hosting not only this GB software but also his other projects which are useful for the community.

Offline cix

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 23:48:36 »
This group buy is soooooo full of win

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 23:54:42 »
And by site you sure mean GH.
What about DT? This GB originates from there after all...
Donations to either site is shiit. Rather give Matt3o the extra moneys for his programming efforts and hosting not only this GB software but also his other projects which are useful for the community.

I'm a member of both forums, obviously. But I find there is more activity here on GH, so that's where I find myself more often. I'm not going to bash DT here, but you can see from the order form how many orders come from each site.

Orders from Deskthority Users: 37
Orders from Geekhack Users: 117
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 00:08:17 »
Who ****in cares about how many orders were made from either forum? This has no corelation to potential "donations" and its recipient(s).
So, after you said you won't bash DT you are straight referring to order numbers. That's some sort of bashing in my eyes. Comparing **** sizes is always 'bashing' for me.
Did you also count the 'tier smashers'? Strangely, although GH has far more orders, the tier smasher's percentage is higher on the DT side.
Since you seem to care about those comparisons, I took the effort to write those short sentences.

Anyway, I will not let someone force me "donate" to something I don't support.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 00:10:15 »
you're free to not post on this forum, and regardless i encourage you to move discussion of topics that might derail the thread (ie, intellectual property) rights to a more appropriate thread and forum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:25:55 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:46:49 »
Point 1
The software (which I should find a fancy name for) will be released under GPL license. So no Geekhack nor other entities will have its ownership. Unless they want to buy it, very unluckily.

Point 2
The software will be released on Github for everyone to see, use, fork.

Point 3
Better integration with this forum and Deskthority is desirable (eg: sending the Order ID via PM)

Point 4
If Geekhack wants to offer the software as a service, that would be great. Meaning that if you want to organize your GB and you don't have hosting or the technical abilities, you could use GH's GB service. But this just came out of my mind, I have no proof of this ever happening. Actually, if there's really high interest in something like that, I could set up a server just for it. BUT please note that something like that would have a cost to me that I would have to cover somehow (being donations or whatever).

Point 5
GH vs DT feud is ridiculous. Stop it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 01:58:19 »
want to add that we're super excited about the possibilities; i only took a quick look at the order site, but hash and rknize are both going crazy over how slick it is. no rush to throw it up on github, but when you do we will deffo take a look and see what kind of integration/contributions we can manage short and long-term (that damned to-do list of ours is several miles long).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 05:03:39 »
Yes. I cant say enough about how slick that interface is. I only took part of this GB to use it! :p J/K

Maybe at the very bottom there could be an option to check to donate $1 or something.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #265 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 06:04:04 »
Yes. I cant say enough about how slick that interface is. I only took part of this GB to use it! :p J/K

Maybe at the very bottom there could be an option to check to donate $1 or something.

Exactly.  When I first used Matt3o's link I was amazed.  It was so 'professionally' laid out with little pics showing clearly what you are buying.  In fact I chose more gear because the way he laid out all the keys.  Very sneaky but highly effective, you should work for the major retailers they would pay you big money to design their store purchases the way you've done it here.

Also I don't mind handing over some money to GH, because I waste so much time on here bothering so many people.  :p

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 07:03:18 »
you should work for the major retailers

who said I'm not already working for them :P

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 07:27:13 »

It's all up to Matt3o on what he wants to do with his software. He would be completely within his rights to sell the software to other groupbuy leaders, or keep it exclusively as his own, so his groupbuys dominate in awesomeness. I don't know if Matt3o and samwisekoi are making any profit off this current groupbuy, but if they are making a profit I hope it's a decent one, because they deserve it. In fact, I hope they are making a profit. Why? Because when something is profitable, you get more of it.

If Matt3o wants to give his software away, that's his business, and he should not feel pressured into doing so. He and every other successful groupbuy organizer has already done enough for the community; they don't deserve to be pressured into doing even more.

I would not mind donating $1 towards GH for my groupbuy order; but it should be stated up front that it's happening. Just keep everything transparent. Maybe make it a variable/option for the software to change the amount, and/or who gets the extra. Maybe have $2, and one dollar each goes to GH and DT, and any other participating forums. Or split the 'tithe' proportionally. That would incentivize participation from other forums, lowering prices for everyone.

The utility of his groupbuy setup made me look at how the other groupbuys managed their own, and it got me to thinking -- there should be some database listing all the keys and key sizes required for every board we can manage to find. Then you could plug the kind of board you have into the system, and it would spit out what pieces you would need to purchase for your board. So you plug in a Filco with a model number, and it tells you whether the groupbuy can outfit your board, and then shows you what you should (or could) purchase. No more puzzling over the components.

Anyway, great GB, great leadership from the organizers, all hail the glories of Capitalism!
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 07:31:09 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 08:06:54 »
just to be clear, since I never spoke about this.

I am not making any profit from this. I would have stated that clearly in the OP otherwise. Actually, if you put together the time spent organizing the GB and developing the software these keycaps are costing me quite a bit :P I'm not even collecting money, samwisekoi is, so I'm really doing it just for karma.

That being said. To cover people that inevitably are not going to pay we will overcharge the final cost a small %. If we end up with more money than needed we might have an additional custom key, or some free caps for samwisekoi (who has to sort all that stuff), or donations to GH and DT. I don't know yet.

Regarding the management software. I can't stand group buys managed with Google docs, it's such a broken system. If there's interest I could set up a service for everyone to use and in that case I'll need to find a way to get a return. Worst case scenario I'll release it as open source and work on it in my spare time (but in that case you need your webhost and a minimum of technical abilities).

'nuf said

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 08:45:11 »
Point 5
GH vs DT feud is ridiculous. Stop it.

+1

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 09:08:35 »
just to be clear, since I never spoke about this.

I am not making any profit from this. I would have stated that clearly in the OP otherwise. Actually, if you put together the time spent organizing the GB and developing the software these keycaps are costing me quite a bit :P I'm not even collecting money, samwisekoi is, so I'm really doing it just for karma.

'nuf said

Good morning all.  Sigh.  Three things.

#1 My hope is not to lose money.  Otherwise, what Matt3o said goes.

#2 Let's take " 'nuf said " as an indication that this sub-topic is done unless someone wants to continue it elsewhere.  If so, please shoot me a PM and I'll split the thread so the sub-thread can continue somewhere else.

#3 Look over there!  Really cool retro keycaps!  Brown!  Plum!  Green!  Someday Blue!  Woo-hoo!  Let's talk about how much we like them, want them, and will use them!

Peace out, y'all.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 09:16:29 »

ps: no money losing, that's for sure!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 09:22:52 »
Plum modifiers are the color of Picard's uniform? Epic win!

in memoriam

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:12:21 »
Coffee and plum...chocolate and raspberry...whatever.  It will be awesome!
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:15:10 »

chocolate is TGH, coffee is TBN :P

wanna try it? http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:20:36 »
Ahh...I forgot about how Europeans like their chocolate.  ;)

Edit: nice color wheel, BTW!
Russ

Offline Larken

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:23:10 »
already looking forward to R2.

you know, I had originally sworn off buying anymore keycaps, but this set was too awesome to pass up. I blame matt3o and samwisekoi for pure awesomeness.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:26:17 »
already looking forward to R2.

you know, I had originally sworn off buying anymore keycaps, but this set was too awesome to pass up. I blame matt3o and samwisekoi for pure awesomeness.

Please no calling these "R" anything.  "The next round" will do nicely!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:28:01 »

Please no calling these "R" anything.  "The next round" will do nicely!

DSA Retro Blue Edition, please :)

or DSA ReBlEd if you want :P

PS: reply to emails :P we need to set a deadline on this

Offline Larken

« Reply #279 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:31:00 »
woops, sorry. apparently there's some unknown landmine I stepped on there. :(

DSA Retro Blue = much want.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:31:32 »
Ron and Matteo, for "Retro Blue Edition" is there any thought of making the white on blue in SA profile, instead of DSA? I know they sit taller on the board, but they are also much thicker.

And yes, I know it overlaps with 7bit's R4. I still want them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:36:21 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline tmk1207

• Y盦 M軿 T璥
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:34:28 »

chocolate is TGH, coffee is TBN :P

wanna try it? http://lab.cubiq.org/kbcc/

oh oh great ;)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:36:19 »
The SA profile is riddled with problems.  Look carefully at the "R4" Wiki on DT.  You may notice that some of the modifiers don't appear to be the right size.  SA didn't have any of the right space bars either, but R4 paid for those by spreading the cost across the entire GB.  I wouldn't want to do anything with SA until R4 finally ships something and we get to see what they really look like on a modern keyboard.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:37:33 »
Ron and Matteo, for "Retro Blue Edition" is there any thought of making the white on blue in SA profile, instead of DSA? I know they sit taller on the board, but they are also much thicker.

And yes, I know it overlaps with 7bit's R4. I still want them.

SA doesn't have right shift and return key (I seem to recall).

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 10:52:33 »
They only have 2-unit, or some such.
Russ

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:15:57 »
DEADLINE SET TO 2013-02-18 23:59:59 GMT

This is the deadline for placing new orders.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:19:24 by Matt3o »

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:18:04 »
Deadline already??? Oh my...

Offline wiredPANDA

Re: DSA Retro Set (deadline approaching!)
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:31:22 »
Got me to put in an order, now - when will be the cutoff to modify an existing order?
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:32:15 »
Cleared cookies and forgot about this order form! Time to submit another order, which is probably a good idea for me anyway because I can double check everything now the deadline is so near.
Love the speed of this groupbuy  ;D

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:38:17 »
Got me to put in an order, now - when will be the cutoff to modify an existing order?

you'll have a very short window to modify or cancel an order. Less than 24h. (actually the time that Melissa will take to confirm pricing next Monday and for me to do some math for the final kits cost :P )

Offline Sai

« Reply #290 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:02:36 »
oh well. makes me worry for a while after seeing the deadline thing without reading it carefully.  :-X

- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #291 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:10:49 »
Can I ask what international shipping will cost?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 12:21:48 »
Can I ask what international shipping will cost?

I'm waiting for confirmation from samwisekoi on that. I guess around $25

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:34:25 »
Just to be clear... listen carefully.

I don't know where this **** came from but I'm NOT going to leave this GB. 7bit has nothing to share with this GB, he helped with the IC like many of you did, that's all. This creature is mine you'll have to rip it out of gory teeth if you want it!

And thanks for wasting my and samwisekoi time!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:45:19 »
???

in memoriam

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:51:09 »
OK, so I've been staying out of this thread because I didn't want a set of these, despite the awesome change in profile etc. I do have to commend you on the GB order system though Matt! That thing is SUPERB!

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:52:37 »
Only thing that worries me is that the stepped DCS Capslock might look ugly.

Show Image

Rofl, now I know why there are lime keys.  :))
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #297 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:52:59 »
wut...

Why is this ending after one week? If someone happened to be on vacation/holiday they just missed out. Something like this should run at least a month if not longer.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:54:02 »
Flash GB, the new, better way to run a GB!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #299 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 13:54:12 »
Ya snooze ya lose