Author Topic: Ergodox "wrong" output after new Windows install  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Canut

Ergodox "wrong" output after new Windows install
« on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 12:20:02 »
As per the title:
I have just done a fresh install of Win 7 Pro on a Lenovo laptop. Now my ["] and [ @ ] keys are transposed. There might be other issues. I guess I'll find out when I start using my embedded macro / AHK layers  :(

The layout is assigned at firmware level, so WTF?
Is there a simple explanation / fix for this?

PS: For years, I have run Windows daily on a Mac Bootcamp partition. Solid as a rock. But as the new hardware is an actual PC rather than a Mac, it wasn't possible to swap / clone the old drive. Instead, I've spent a weekend of pain re-installing all my work-related software and digging through Control Panel to get simple things to work properly...
(like finding and killing a "clever" default setting that automatically triggered flight-safe mode and disabled all Bluetooth whenever the laptop was picked up or moved. Seriously, WTF!?)

I'm hoping this is the last hurdle before work starts in earnest tomorrow morning.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

The dual-booting Mac was the most stable PC I ever owned. It got hammered for 12 hours per day for more than 7 years.
But I now remember all too well the pain and suffering of running a "real" PC.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Ergodox "wrong" output after new Windows install
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 12:59:30 »
That sounds like you're an Englishman with your computer set to US-ANSI or an American with the computer set to ISO in your input settings - it's a very familiar problem :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Canut

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 14:00:19 »
That sounds like you're an Englishman with your computer set to US-ANSI or an American with the computer set to ISO in your input settings - it's a very familiar problem :))

Indeed I am!
After a reboot, the problem has resolved itself.
Not immediately, but just randomly while I was typing in MS-Word and Chrome search. Suddenly, all my keys are back in my preferred places.

I should have remembered: Always try a reboot  :rolleyes:

It seems typical of Windows, that I did nothing identifiable to either cause or to fix the problem.
In any case, I have a happy Ergodox, once more  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 02:18:53 »
Word too - you area a sucker for punishment!  That will no doubt have set the dictionary to US English so you may want to change it repeatedly until it sticks or spellcheck will try and make you sodder some aluminum, and make you think it acceptable to go out in your pants :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod