Author Topic: IBM M2 Terminal kbd help  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Tactile

IBM M2 Terminal kbd help
« on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 10:46:29 »
I have an IBM Model M2 42H0468 keyboard I'm trying to get running and I'm getting such odd behavior I don't know how to interpret it. I was under the impression after reading this that after a change of cable connector it would behave as a PS/2 keyboard. Well... that's not happening.

I've connected the kbd to a Teensy. The LEDs work perfectly, even using the LED test in Aqua's key test program.

With Soarer's converter V1.12 loaded onto the Teensy & HID listen running, this is the response when plugging the USB cable:
Code: [Select]
Waiting for device:.....
Listening:
rAA wEE rEE wF2 rFA rAB r83

remaining: 0000

Keyboard ID: AB83
Code Set: 2 (extended)
Mode: AT/PS2

wED rFA w02 rFA

The keycodes just don't make any sense, however. Just one example: pressing "k" lights up "\ |" in Switch Hitter. Here's the HID listen result of pressing "k":
Code: [Select]
r5D +31 d31
rF0 r5D -31 u31

In addition there are also quite a few keys which output nothing, not even seen in HID listen. To name a few:

ESC
Space
Numpad Enter

I've also flashed the Teensy with TMK PS/2 to USB converter code and the behavior is exactly the same.

There's a much longer story of what I've tried but I don't see the need unless someone who might be able to help has specific questions.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

Re: IBM M2 Terminal kbd help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 20:19:49 »
UPDATE:

I've opened it in order to clean the contact areas between the controller PCB and the mylar sheet. And even though I'm not seeing any of the typical "bad caps" symptoms I'm going to replace them just because I'm here, anyway.

We'll see...
REΛLFORCE

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 07:05:56 »
Keep us posted for sure.

I read the link and it indicated that it should work with a hardware converter and the only issue is if the key legends differ from ansi.
I take it that didn't work at all for you?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 08:32:38 »
The M2 did work, just not correctly. No key registered properly.

I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. The M2 controller board makes contact with the matrix traces on the mylar sheet through a row of contact pads. The PCB is simply held tightly in place with this row of contact pads resting against a matching row on the mylar sheet. There is no hard wire connection.

The behavior I was seeing just seemed to be related to the matrix being misread. I think one of these contact points wasn't making a proper connection. One row or column just wasn't being seen by the controller so the controller was just misinterpreting most keypresses (incorrect keycode sent) and not seeing or understanding some other keypresses (no keycode sent - a dead key).  The contact pads on the PCB just look... well... odd. Not corroded but slightly "blistered" is the only way I can describe it.

I'll work with it later today and clean, maybe touch up with solder, and do whatever I need to. In order to test my theory I'm going to initially skip the capacitor replacement & just work with those contact points. I can test it without reassembly by just pressing a finger on the mylar sheet.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 09:02:28 »

board makes contact with the matrix traces on the mylar sheet through a row of contact pads

I have gotten a couple of Ms like that, really stupid idea and bad way to save a couple of pennies.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"