Author Topic: Choosing clicky Kailh (or others - suggestions welcome) switches  (Read 5913 times)

Offline kbuild

Choosing clicky Kailh (or others - suggestions welcome) switches
« on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 07:32:41 »
I've been trying to choose switches  for a keyboard I'm building. I settled with Kailh because I'm getting GMMK plate (cheap and solid option it looks like - if you've suggestions for something else that you can get in the EU for below €100 total with casing, etc, please do)

Since I really liked clicky, I settled with Jade, Navy, Bronze and White.

So far I've heard that:

White and Bronze - sometimes actuate before the click. That doesn't sound comfortable.
Jade - sometimes get "sticky" on the way up due to the spring. Sounds like borderline faulty.
Navy - really tactile and require a lot of force. Sounds like it could be tiring on the fingers for long typing sessions.

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to test drive any switches without spending extra cash and I'm tight on money due to COVID.

I want to fact check these and get any suggestions on other possibilities or what might be good for me.

I type a lot and I like the idea of getting double click on the way up and down. I've used MX and Gaterons, but I didn't really like either 100%. I really dislike how rattly and wobbly they are. I also tend to end up bottoming them out and I'd like to learn to type without bottoming out the keys. I have O rings right now because without them, I get finger pain after long typing sessions (I type for a couple of hours sometimes).

I can't stand rubber domes at all obviously, but they aren't tactile or clicky either.

Suggestions?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Choosing clicky Kailh (or others - suggestions welcome) switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:57:13 »
Personally, the GMMK is the best bang for the buck, and it's just nice, fun board. You would need to spend quite a lot more to get anything marginally better. Depending on format, another option would be the NK65 Entry, but I'd only recommend that if you want 65%.

A LOT of clickies (probably most) do not actuate when they click, and it's even worse on release (called hysteresis), this is why blues are not recommended for fps games.

I have no issues with my Jades sticking, but I have seen issues with hot swap pcb/plates not being perfectly aligned and causing the housing to distort. On some switches and spring combos it can be an issue. I had no issues with stock springs or lighter tactiles but the problem reared its ugly head when I went super light springs on super tactile switches. On stock springs I probably would not have noticed.

Minor, unnoticed bind (often due to poor lube) will also cause finger pain and the worst switches I ever had for this was a set of Kailh, my Pro Purple switches were REALLY bad for this before I lubed them and I suspect my Jades also had a small amount of it as well prior to lube. I never had issues with this on any of my other switches. They properly lubed the clickbar on the jades but the stems, especially on the purple were insufficiently lubed. If you go Kailh, be prepared to lube them (this will also help with stem wobble and rattle). It could also be that you went up in spring rate, a 20g jump is enough to make your fingers tire. Note there's cheaper alternatives to Krytox.

Also on bottoming out, some switches almost force you to bottom out but letting the spring rate fall off a cliff upon activation. Some Alps do this, my Zeals do but that's because my springs are so light compared to the tactility. Box Pinks I hear can also do this. Bottoming out isn't the end of the world and I'm not convinced stiffer springs is the cure either. Stiffer springs mean pushing harder so when you do bottom out it's just that much worse. Light springs teach you to use a lighter touch so when you do bottom out you hit with less impact, unfortunately if a switch has issues you also tend to feel that more.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2021, 19:58:44 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 03:37:39 »
While I don’t have much experience with many switches  I have the Kailh Box pink and I really like them, they actuate exactly at the click, it's pretty hard to mismatch the click and the actuation.

Edit: 
I’ll correct myself, it’s not exactly at the same time, but not registering is unlikely, the clickbar will make the switch go down enough especially when typing (but suprisengly not necessarily bottom out), though I’ve noticed some individual switches are a bit worse than usual and not activate sometimes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 06:11:34 by Leopard223 »

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 04:31:03 »

I got Speed Bronze and Pro Light Green to try out in my GMMK.  I put a couple in as a test and discovered that Pro Light Green is super loud, so unless lubing changes that I'm going to install the Bronze.  I don't think I'd notice any tiny mismatch in actuation/click depths when I'm hammering multiple keys per second. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 20:35:55 »
I don't think I'd notice any tiny mismatch in actuation/click depths when I'm hammering multiple keys per second.
Typing isn't effected, it's when you need to nudge forward or ride the bump to walk slow.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 January 2021, 22:50:31 »
So far I've heard that:

White and Bronze - sometimes actuate before the click. That doesn't sound comfortable.
Jade - sometimes get "sticky" on the way up due to the spring. Sounds like borderline faulty.
Navy - really tactile and require a lot of force. Sounds like it could be tiring on the fingers for long typing sessions.

I don't have any box switches besides jades and navies in boards, since all of the rest besides pinks are a bit too light for me besides maybe for use in a dedicated gaming board. I haven't ever had them actuate before the click with a lot of testing (I wouldn't think any of this family would be any different in this regard), although I have (rarely) been able to get my jades to click without actuating, with a lot of effort going into trying to stop downward travel immediately after the click. It is probably a lot easier to detect something like this with the narrower clickbars in things like whites. I'm not sure why anybody would bother, but I'm pretty heavy handed and always like to bottom out. More on that later.

Jades do feel sluggish on the return. The thing is that that is only perception. It has no negative impact on the actual typing experience otherwise. I use a board with jades and stock springs every single day and have for quite some time now. I have never encountered a problem with them. If it matters, jades and pinks also have the deepest/bassiest sound of the family's clickies.

Navies are heavy, yes, but I find them to be a lot less tiring than heavy linears, or even a Model M. I have no trouble typing on them for long periods, although they do take a little getting used to. Their strengths are overall tactility (if you value that), crispness of feel, and what seems to me to be a very nice balance between spring weighting and tactility. The two seem to be paired quite nicely together. They're higher-pitched than jades and pinks.

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to test drive any switches without spending extra cash and I'm tight on money due to COVID.

Do not buy switches or complete boards with switches you have never tried on recommendation alone. You can get a box switch tester for under $10 USD on Amazon last I checked. You will save money in the long run.

I want to fact check these and get any suggestions on other possibilities or what might be good for me.

I type a lot and I like the idea of getting double click on the way up and down. I've used MX and Gaterons, but I didn't really like either 100%. I really dislike how rattly and wobbly they are. I also tend to end up bottoming them out and I'd like to learn to type without bottoming out the keys. I have O rings right now because without them, I get finger pain after long typing sessions (I type for a couple of hours sometimes).

If you dislike how rattly MX is, and like the idea of tactility going both up and down, then box clickies are the right place to look. You found Gateron blues to be rattly? I have found both Gateron and Outemu blues to be nicely tactile and relatively refined compared to MX.

I'm not sure why some people bother trying not to bottom out myself. How long have you typed with a single switch at a given time? Leslieann had a good point related to this. I have found that if I type on something like box navies for a period of time and then try to type on MX reds, I'm going to mash those reds a lot more than I would in a few hours if I keep using them. I have definitely had some jarring experiences doing things like that, since I generally use clickies that are much stiffer than MX blue. I'm fairly confident that most of this just comes down to acclimation to a given switch. Consistency should prevent pain, just like consistency will also acclimatize you to stiffer switches than you might think you can get used to.

I use a lot of moderately stiff switches on thick steel plates, and I use MX reds on mostly thick aluminum plates. I never have a problem at all with bottoming out to my heart's content unless I'm not used to the switch I'm currently using yet.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 01:42:22 »
I use Pale Blue box switches here and they are a really nice compromise. The added weight makes the click a bit better defined if that makes sense, and prevents too harsh bottoming.
I have tried:
- Box clickies White, Jade, Navy
- Clickjacket Cherry Blue, Green, White, Gat Ink Blue
The clickbar switches definitely have the best feeling overall, no rattle, sharp feeling.
Navies are too heavy for a full keyboard for me, but would be fine on a numpad or even fantastic on a macro pad. Jades are the worst for me with too light spring (i use heavy linears too..) and the same thick clickbar as Navy, which is too harsh IMHO.

There you go - if you have really heavy fingers, go for the "heavy spring" variants (Pale Blue / Navy). Then it's a matter of preference, for long typing sessions i prefer the Pale Blues.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 21:35:00 »
I have also mained a jade keyboard, and I think the click on the way up sticking is just perception since they're so hyper tactile in both directions. I did discover that, despite liking tactile switches, I don't really like the box switches, but it took me a while to discover that. I'm really just an ALPS buckling spring guy.

Though I kind of do like the rattliness of Cherry keyboards.

Offline S61

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 08:49:11 »
if u like clicky switch,  new switch TTC x Helix  is a new choice

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 10:18:06 »
if u like clicky switch,  new switch TTC x Helix  is a new choice

That looks VERY similar to regular old MX.

So what is it about these switches that are supposed to be measurably better in any real way when box switches are significantly better than any MX clones? Have they got any major selling points?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:20:41 »
(..)
So what is it about these switches that are supposed to be measurably better in any real way when box switches are significantly better than any MX clones? Have they got any major selling points?
(edit) upon inspection it looks like a crossover between box switches for the stem and Cherry MX for the click jacket. The sound test on Aaru TKL is quite interesting. I suppose materials (for the sound) and smoothness (compared to Cherry) would be the selling point.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:26:51 by Surefoot »

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:28:29 »

I personally think light click tactility provided by click-jacket still have it's place in the market for light handed typist/newcomers that transit into the hobby from prebuilt with MX Blue, so if there's option that for actually good click-jacket switch (like Outemu Phoenix or xxxstotles) I don't really see the harm/being a bad choice inherently

Assuming they don't rattle like ass like MX Blue that is...

Add on: from what I've seen TTC is a pretty good manufacturer as well, I assume the switch they produce will atleast be an improvement to MX Blue in acoustic and smoothness
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:39:36 by GlennL42 »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 11:20:30 »
(..)
(edit) upon inspection it looks like a crossover between box switches for the stem and Cherry MX for the click jacket. The sound test on Aaru TKL is quite interesting. I suppose materials (for the sound) and smoothness (compared to Cherry) would be the selling point.

I personally think light click tactility provided by click-jacket still have it's place in the market for light handed typist/newcomers that transit into the hobby from prebuilt with MX Blue, so if there's option that for actually good click-jacket switch (like Outemu Phoenix or xxxstotles) I don't really see the harm/being a bad choice inherently

Assuming they don't rattle like ass like MX Blue that is...

Add on: from what I've seen TTC is a pretty good manufacturer as well, I assume the switch they produce will atleast be an improvement to MX Blue in acoustic and smoothness

The question remains, what is it that these seek to accomplish that box switches don't already do better? Box whites already have less tactility than an MX blue (and clones), and feel and sound a lot better to boot. They cover a pretty wide range of levels of tactility and spring weight throughout their lineup. Some people don't like the return bump on box switches, but they're otherwise objectively superior to MX.

We need more manufacturers willing to step out of the boundaries of MX. Any effort is good, but having used a lot of vintage non MX switches, it is clear to me that MX has inherent limitations that prevent it from comparing at all to the best switches in any category (though their linears are just good enough, I suppose). Maybe some people literally prefer the exact tactile signature of a specific MX tactile or clone over all possible alternatives (I would think it usually has more to do with not having tried other options), but I can't imagine that they would be in the majority.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 12:38:44 »
(...)Maybe some people literally prefer the exact tactile signature of a specific MX tactile or clone over all possible alternatives (I would think it usually has more to do with not having tried other options), but I can't imagine that they would be in the majority.
While i agree that clickbar switches are the superior clickies for switches with MX-like stems, and that we still need a click leaf version, I do know quite a few people who like MX tactiles especially Ergo Clears, T1, etc. and have indeed tried alternatives. So it's not as clear cut for non-clickies - also i'd like to mention Gateron Ink Blues that are surprising for click jackets. They do not exhibit the cheap rattle of MX Blue, but instead have a sharp tactile event and sound. Not up to real clickbar or click leaf switches, but still not bad at all.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 16:13:00 »
(...)Maybe some people literally prefer the exact tactile signature of a specific MX tactile or clone over all possible alternatives (I would think it usually has more to do with not having tried other options), but I can't imagine that they would be in the majority.
While i agree that clickbar switches are the superior clickies for switches with MX-like stems, and that we still need a click leaf version, I do know quite a few people who like MX tactiles especially Ergo Clears, T1, etc. and have indeed tried alternatives. So it's not as clear cut for non-clickies - also i'd like to mention Gateron Ink Blues that are surprising for click jackets. They do not exhibit the cheap rattle of MX Blue, but instead have a sharp tactile event and sound. Not up to real clickbar or click leaf switches, but still not bad at all.

Sure, but what alternatives even exist that work with modern caps and boards? They're basically all MX derivatives, so why would many people choose anything else? I would rather have Alps-based tactiles, but I would rather just have clickies than tactiles anyway myself. We've got so many fantastic clicky switches with unique mechanisms, few of which are still in production. Ironically, there is little focus on modern clickies in comparison to linears and tactiles. Maybe that's because people who like clickies tend to write off MX in general? We've got more than our share of great vintage alternatives. Yet with all of that supposed creative energy sunk into "new" tactile switches, they're almost all just yet another MX variant.

I think there seemed to be a lot of people who loved Matias' tactiles and "linears" until a problem with chatter stigmatized the company (if that was ever a serious concern, it seems to be no longer). And then there are the cons for people who care so much about aesthetics. Matias mini boards are about the only option for anything smaller than a TKL ... and only Matias makes the caps for them, and those caps are pretty lackluster. Anything else? Well, you can choose from 2 or 3 concurrent production colorways from Tai-Hao in literally only a bog standard layout. These are not things that particularly bother me, but they do bother a lot of people.

I haven't tried any ink switches. I imagine the ink blues are just smoother Gateron blues, especially given your description. I'll even add Outemu blues to that list. I can hardly tell a difference between standard Gateron or Outemu blues, and they're the best MX blue clones I have felt ... but they still have click jackets, which don't feel or sound all that great even without rattle. Then there's how high in the overall travel that the tactile event is. I can't say that making an ink version is even necessary for my tastes.

I'm no modern MX boutique clone connoisseur (especially not tactiles), but it seems like most options are variations in overall tactility, sharpness or roundness of tactility, stock smoothness, and spring weighting. It is still always going to feel like some cheap plasticky MX mediocrity, just like how click jackets always sound and feel hollow and unrefined. It seems to me that MX's biggest strength is linears ... simply because they're the simplest and most featureless of the bunch, and are thus less noticeably deficient compared to other linears of ages past.

Why should anyone settle for endless iterations of MX instead of looking outside of the box for alternatives?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 21:59:21 »
Sure, but what alternatives even exist that work with modern caps and boards?
This: https://kono.store/products/keystone-beam-spring-analog-switches  - will need a specific PCB of course due to the contactless system, but you can expect extreme smoothness (as experienced on other contact less switches today) and a very sharp click event.
There's also a click leaf switch in the works (IIRC from Novelkeys / Kailh).
There are a few brands selling modern keyboards with hall effect switched by now - they are all excellent but to my knowledge only focusing on linears. Still since there's no copper contact inside you can use the space for a click leaf. Only a matter of time before this comes to custom keebs i guess.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 02:58:24 »
Sure, but what alternatives even exist that work with modern caps and boards? They're basically all MX derivatives, so why would many people choose anything else?

Why should anyone settle for endless iterations of MX instead of looking outside of the box for alternatives?

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this..but didn't you just answer your question?  They settle for MX derivatives because when it comes to compatibility that's what we're left with...

Alps has its own set of issues...but I like the switches, it just doesn't have the level of support.  I like Topre and accept that it won't have the support.   But the reality is MX does a pretty good job and there have been enough interesting alternatives that people have enjoyed using and they've stayed within a standard.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 12:05:08 »
Sure, but what alternatives even exist that work with modern caps and boards?
This: https://kono.store/products/keystone-beam-spring-analog-switches  - will need a specific PCB of course due to the contactless system, but you can expect extreme smoothness (as experienced on other contact less switches today) and a very sharp click event.
There's also a click leaf switch in the works (IIRC from Novelkeys / Kailh).
There are a few brands selling modern keyboards with hall effect switched by now - they are all excellent but to my knowledge only focusing on linears. Still since there's no copper contact inside you can use the space for a click leaf. Only a matter of time before this comes to custom keebs i guess.

I mentioned silo switches in another very similar thread. Those are the clickies though. I think I read the silo tactiles will be Alps-based. Silo is a nice start, and they've obviously put one heck of a lot of thought into every single aspect of the silo line so far. What's the name of this click leaf project from Novelkeys? I imagine that that will be standard MX and not hall effect. One could dream though.

Sure, but what alternatives even exist that work with modern caps and boards? They're basically all MX derivatives, so why would many people choose anything else?

Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding this..but didn't you just answer your question?  They settle for MX derivatives because when it comes to compatibility that's what we're left with...

Alps has its own set of issues...but I like the switches, it just doesn't have the level of support.  I like Topre and accept that it won't have the support.   But the reality is MX does a pretty good job and there have been enough interesting alternatives that people have enjoyed using and they've stayed within a standard.

Whether or not I answered my own question could be taken either way. The point was that there are so many new switches out there, but they're practically all just MX clones. There should be more demand for something actually new because MX isn't worth tweaking, in my opinion. There's more people interested in this sort of thing than ever before, yet we don't have even a fraction of the switch diversity we had in the 1980s.

The way I see it, the lack of calls for something actually new, and companies being able to make a profit by making endless MX clone variants without much investment in actual development, is the only reason that MX clones are the only option in terms of compatibility.

MX does an average job. I don't think it would have survived the 90s without its market share in the POS and industrial spaces, which is pretty much why we still have new production membrane buckling spring from Unicomp as well. Interest in mechanicals slowly returned and MX was the last man standing, so that's what took over the market. We're in a position now to change that.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 15:17:27 »
Silo beam switches are MX mount: https://kono.store/blogs/keyboards/silo-beam
Box switches are MX mount too, but arguably not "MX clones" since the actuation mechanism is quite different.
There's definitely a bit of movement on that terrain (mostly Hall effects) - otherwise getting a high end JWK, Alpaca V2 for instance will bring you to quite above "average" level, with a switch that's a lot more resistant to usage and dirt than Alps.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 15:30:52 »
Silo beam switches are MX mount: https://kono.store/blogs/keyboards/silo-beam
Box switches are MX mount too, but arguably not "MX clones" since the actuation mechanism is quite different.

Yes. I think everyone knows that.

There's definitely a bit of movement on that terrain (mostly Hall effects) - otherwise getting a high end JWK, Alpaca V2 for instance will bring you to quite above "average" level, with a switch that's a lot more resistant to usage and dirt than Alps.

There's a bit of movement, but not enough yet.

Above average for MX, I'm sure. But MX is still MX. Being more or less resistant to usage and dirt remains to be seen, and may never be seen in actuality. You mostly see problems with Alps switches that were factory lubricated. Additionally, when they were made, many people lived in clouds of tobacco smoke. Then you add the fact that a lot of these boards have sat disused for the last 20+ years, sometimes outside. Lubrication attracts dust and debris, and does lead to increased friction over never having had any lube down the road. That is the nature of the beast.

Once we've had fancy lubed boutique switches that have been abused in a smoke cloud, or worse, for 2 or 3 decades, then we can comment on their longevity in adverse conditions.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 16:14:31 »
The BOX clickies genuinely offer something different from MX.

BOX Jades are a little slow on the upstroke, but it's not something you're going to notice much while typing. They type fine.

BOX Whites are easy to type on, they don't seem to be very tactile and are really a low-key clicky switch. Apparently, the Pale Blue is a little heavier, maybe more tactile. The BOX Pink are supposed to be a compromise between White and Jade. I haven't tried it but I want to.

I receive some sample OUTEMU Phoenix stems, so maybe I should try those out. For the OP, who wants click on the upstroke and downstroke, they might be a solution. Aren't the Sherbets like that as well? Maybe I should mount my sample switch.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 21:29:44 »
I've used the box pinks, they were in a keyboard I used on the regular for a little while. They're all right. They're not as fun as the thick clicks. I considered the feel to be on the level with MX blues in terms of my enjoyment of them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 23:55:08 »

Whether or not I answered my own question could be taken either way. The point was that there are so many new switches out there, but they're practically all just MX clones. There should be more demand for something actually new because MX isn't worth tweaking, in my opinion. There's more people interested in this sort of thing than ever before, yet we don't have even a fraction of the switch diversity we had in the 1980s.

The way I see it, the lack of calls for something actually new, and companies being able to make a profit by making endless MX clone variants without much investment in actual development, is the only reason that MX clones are the only option in terms of compatibility.

MX does an average job. I don't think it would have survived the 90s without its market share in the POS and industrial spaces, which is pretty much why we still have new production membrane buckling spring from Unicomp as well. Interest in mechanicals slowly returned and MX was the last man standing, so that's what took over the market. We're in a position now to change that.

You've seen companies try to introduce their own switch..how successful is that?  Ultimately they all end up supported MX in some way even if the mechanism is different...

MX survived because their biggest mech switch competitor was Alps..and at some point, Alps went stupid and started to be incredibly unreliable.    When keyboards started getting really expensive, MX survived because they were reliable and kept a portion of the market share that still wanted that reliability but could no longer getting it from membrane keyboards.

I don't know what you mean by WE...I don't see any push to get rid of MX do you?  You've done this before..your thoughts about what you like you translate that into the masses...Alps just does not have the number of fans you think it does (And this is coming someone who has 2 Alps keyboards in their favorite keyboards of all time).  It has its own set of issues that still don't seem to be resolved and no one wants to invest in that direction. 

But by all means, why don't you spend the money and design what you consider an objectively better switch....Put your money where your mouth is.  I actually hope you succeed because I'm with you on the fact that I'd love to see other types of switches and competition out there...I just don't see what is happening now with MX as bad or that MX is a bad base for everything..

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 18:05:19 »

You've seen companies try to introduce their own switch..how successful is that?  Ultimately they all end up supported MX in some way even if the mechanism is different...

MX survived because their biggest mech switch competitor was Alps..and at some point, Alps went stupid and started to be incredibly unreliable.    When keyboards started getting really expensive, MX survived because they were reliable and kept a portion of the market share that still wanted that reliability but could no longer getting it from membrane keyboards.

I don't know what you mean by WE...I don't see any push to get rid of MX do you?  You've done this before..your thoughts about what you like you translate that into the masses...Alps just does not have the number of fans you think it does (And this is coming someone who has 2 Alps keyboards in their favorite keyboards of all time).  It has its own set of issues that still don't seem to be resolved and no one wants to invest in that direction. 

But by all means, why don't you spend the money and design what you consider an objectively better switch....Put your money where your mouth is.  I actually hope you succeed because I'm with you on the fact that I'd love to see other types of switches and competition out there...I just don't see what is happening now with MX as bad or that MX is a bad base for everything..

Box switches seem to be selling pretty well, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. There's always risk in a new design, which is kind of the whole point. If the design ends up being no better than MX (which I never said was terrible), then it is doomed to fail from the start. The only way to get anything better is to try though, and if you catch a shooting star, you could win big.

The consumer has all of the control, if they take that control. They just refuse to. They keep buying MX clones, so companies can play it safe and keep cranking out "new"variants with catchy names. This has happened for at least 15 years now in the gaming community too. Call of Duty should have died as a franchise 10+ years ago, yet it is still here and people keep buying it. Infinity Ward offers nothing new and nobody holds them accountable for it. Other companies see that and just do what Infinity Ward does, and the result is we have 15 years of the same FPS title over and over with a different name. Now we've even got a priority in game launches taking a back seat to microtransaction sales, because companies have learned that they can actually profit more by selling cosmetics than by offering anything novel to the player.

Mechanical switch competitors didn't even matter in the 1990s. There wasn't enough average consumer demand to profit to begin with because everybody started settling for cheap dome boards as the average cost of an entire computer setup started falling below what keyboards used to cost. You're right about the reliability of MX, which was the driving force behind POS and industrial sales mentioned earlier, of course. You can abuse stock MX switches without much concern. I can't find many consumer-oriented boards at all from that period. We've got mountains of surplus TG3 and Cherry-branded boards floating out there.

What else could I mean by we? The community is big enough now that enough demand for superior alternatives could be mustered. The only reason not to push for innovation is acting like Cherry is the only name in the game still, and that the enthusiast market is too small to be profitable. That was the case 10 years ago. I don't think that it is anymore.

How does Alps factor into your train of thought on this? Alps is a single example of something that does quite a few things better than MX. I make no assumptions one way or another about how many fans it has. In fact, if I had to assume, I would assume that the lack of easy introduction to Alps would mean a much lower potential for interest than should be the case. When you say it has its own set of issues that still don't seem to be resolved, what do you mean? I assume you're talking about Matias at this point, since Alps is otherwise a long-dead format. Lack of compatibility, of course, is one. I'm still on the hunt for the fabled chatter issues in relatively modern Matias boards. I literally own at least 7-8+ boards with Matias switches in them, all 3 available switch types. I don't have a huge amount of time on all of them yet (I do have a lot of time on a few), but other than the first week's use of my only brand new purchase I haven't had any problems with any yet. Regardless, what does any of this have to do with investing in that direction? Matias was just an example of something different that's still in production, and you're obviously going to have a better chance of major success in trying something entirely new than cutting into existing markets that don't even have major demand. Kailh and Novelkeys had it right in starting with MX-compatibility.

You say I have done it before, but you always misinterpret the entire intent behind what I say. I'm happy with the switches I already have, and always will be. I could use an entirely different clicky mechanism every day all week long and not run out, and it is wonderful. Some people may find some MX clone to be their ideal switch, that's obviously fine. The point is that the community is large enough now to usher in a renaissance of switches of all types, to rival the 1980s. It would seem like an awful shame to waste that opportunity.

I don't understand what about any of this is so hard to get onboard with. Why settle for the same thing over and over again with so many players in the game? I would say the same thing if it were the entire modern aftermarket making slight variations of capacitive buckling spring, with a catchy new name and barrel color. It sounds like a ridiculous scenario, doesn't it? It is a ridiculous scenario, but it is equivalent to the situation we find ourselves in now.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 02:08:11 »
Box switches seem to be selling pretty well, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. There's always risk in a new design, which is kind of the whole point. If the design ends up being no better than MX (which I never said was terrible), then it is doomed to fail from the start. The only way to get anything better is to try though, and if you catch a shooting star, you could win big.

Box switches are basically a variant of MX.  With a slightly different inside but compatible outside....How does that differ from the other MX variants?  Because on one variant they changed the material/stem a bit and the other they did a bit more and moved things around inside? 

Mechanical switch competitors didn't even matter in the 1990s. There wasn't enough average consumer demand to profit to begin with because everybody started settling for cheap dome boards as the average cost of an entire computer setup started falling below what keyboards used to cost. You're right about the reliability of MX, which was the driving force behind POS and industrial sales mentioned earlier, of course. You can abuse stock MX switches without much concern. I can't find many consumer-oriented boards at all from that period. We've got mountains of surplus TG3 and Cherry-branded boards floating out there.
Which part of the 90s?  Early 90s you had MX and Alps and basically no one else....You started to have early slider based rubber dome keyboards that were just as expensive as Mech boards (which had dropped in price as well).  You didn't start getting into cheap rubber dome keyboards until the later part of the 90s.  But you're right about one thing, Alps had more consumer boards vs. Cherry....Apple, Focus, etc, and as they got cheaper, so did the switches and was eventually one of the reasons Alps went away..they were actually less reliable than rubber domes... 

What else could I mean by we? The community is big enough now that enough demand for superior alternatives could be mustered. The only reason not to push for innovation is acting like Cherry is the only name in the game still, and that the enthusiast market is too small to be profitable. That was the case 10 years ago. I don't think that it is anymore.
We do have superior alternatives..There are a ton of different choices now but they revolve around MX..and they're going to for a long time.  What is the incentive to move away from that base?  Nothing.  What will happen is there will just be improvements or alternative designs that are based around MX.....

But making a new switch..so something not based on MX at all...Good luck there.  How has that worked out for everyone else that has tried? 

How does Alps factor into your train of thought on this? Alps is a single example of something that does quite a few things better than MX. I make no assumptions one way or another about how many fans it has. In fact, if I had to assume, I would assume that the lack of easy introduction to Alps would mean a much lower potential for interest than should be the case. When you say it has its own set of issues that still don't seem to be resolved, what do you mean? I assume you're talking about Matias at this point, since Alps is otherwise a long-dead format. Lack of compatibility, of course, is one. I'm still on the hunt for the fabled chatter issues in relatively modern Matias boards. I literally own at least 7-8+ boards with Matias switches in them, all 3 available switch types. I don't have a huge amount of time on all of them yet (I do have a lot of time on a few), but other than the first week's use of my only brand new purchase I haven't had any problems with any yet. Regardless, what does any of this have to do with investing in that direction? Matias was just an example of something different that's still in production, and you're obviously going to have a better chance of major success in trying something entirely new than cutting into existing markets that don't even have major demand. Kailh and Novelkeys had it right in starting with MX-compatibility.
MX Compatibility (I'm not considering just having a + has MX Compatible in this sense) is just an MX derivative...Alps have had issues for awhile...they are incredibly unreliable.  I had a lot of hope for Matias thinking they'd bring back the original Alps level of quality and in some ways they have, but as more and more people had them, you could see they still had similar issues that IMO, killed Alps...So while I actually like Alps switches, why would I go to something that doesn't have the compatibility I want and get less than ideal reliability?  That's right, I wouldn't..and why so many others don't. 

You say I have done it before, but you always misinterpret the entire intent behind what I say. I'm happy with the switches I already have, and always will be. I could use an entirely different clicky mechanism every day all week long and not run out, and it is wonderful. Some people may find some MX clone to be their ideal switch, that's obviously fine. The point is that the community is large enough now to usher in a renaissance of switches of all types, to rival the 1980s. It would seem like an awful shame to waste that opportunity.
Good luck w/ that.  Not sure where you think there were more switches in the 80s.  There were many different designs, most of which were pretty bad, but we have more switches available today than there were back then..a lot more.  If you're grouping all MX variants as a single switch then yeah, there were more in the 80s.  But we have a lot of choices now.  We have the reliability, compatibility and mod-ability that we never had before..never..

I don't understand what about any of this is so hard to get onboard with. Why settle for the same thing over and over again with so many players in the game? I would say the same thing if it were the entire modern aftermarket making slight variations of capacitive buckling spring, with a catchy new name and barrel color. It sounds like a ridiculous scenario, doesn't it? It is a ridiculous scenario, but it is equivalent to the situation we find ourselves in now.
What are we settling for?  You're one of the few that thinks we're settling...

From my standpoint, we have tons of options...we can do so many different things on these switches and have so many different options for mods, keycaps, pcbs, plates, cases, etc, etc.  A new switch would need to not only be better, but overcome that inherent disadvantage. 

But I guess going back to your Box Switch example...you're seeing that as a completely different switch.  I don't.  IMO, what they're doing is the right way to go, try to make bigger changes but keep it the same.

The reality is, people are willing to spend a bit more for a better switch..but they don't need it to be completely different they just want an alternative to what they have.  Companies out there that were making just one more MX clone needed to try to change things up because of all the other variants out there that were, frankly, better than theirs, so that's where growth and innovation is going to come from.  Pushing those companies are the people in the community that are basically making small but noticeable improvements to an old design.

But are they going to create an entirely new switch?  Someone might...why don't you give it a try rather than try to convince everyone else that's what should be happening...
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 02:32:56 by Polymer »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 13:38:24 »
TBH, I have had some modest chatter issues with Matias click switches.  I also had one switch that stuck closed.

The worst I've seen was the Hua-Jie AK-CN2 Alps clones.  Felt nice when new, but the click leaves declicked after a few months, and one of the switches died open.  6 months of daily driver programmer usage should not kill any keyboard.

The Alps clicky sound and feel is the best, but the keycap availability and reliability is lesser than MX.  I've put a hotswap MX-style board on order, and am hoping I can find a switch I like as much as Matias Click.

I tried Box Navies in another board-- while they give an incredible feel of solidity, they are a bit too stiff and tactile.  The click still sounds higher-pitched and plasticky.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 14:10:51 »
The BOX switches are MX-compatible, but not exactly MX, not Cherry-derived at least.

Many of the BOX designs are Cherry designs, and BOX can't stray too far from Cherry-like tactility.

But with the clickies, they were able to try clickbar solutions that Cherry wasn't doing, and create new options for MX-compatible boards. We need to see more of that.

Those of you discussing what could or should be done might want to examine [if information ever becomes available] what ZealPC was doing before the pandemic hit. They were prototyping ALPS-style clickies and tactility in an MX-compatible housing. Something that would work in the existing ecosystem, but be a different [ALPS-like] approach to click and tactility.

Is this viable? The question is not academic. Here we have a real-world attempt to bring something alternate to the MX method, within the MX infrastructure.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 00:24:57 »
Those of you discussing what could or should be done might want to examine [if information ever becomes available] what ZealPC was doing before the pandemic hit. They were prototyping ALPS-style clickies and tactility in an MX-compatible housing.

This.
Covid really put a damper on innovation. Now that China has really figured out MX switches and shown they can dominate the market they will start creating new designs. Clickies are more difficult and Box was just the first step, clearly it worked, with that success others will jump into that market, it's how China does things. I suspect we probably would have seen more designs already had Covid not hit when it did.

Give it a year or so and I bet we see a LOT of innovation, clickies included, so long as the economy doesn't tank.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 01:53:08 »
Those of you discussing what could or should be done might want to examine [if information ever becomes available] what ZealPC was doing before the pandemic hit. They were prototyping ALPS-style clickies and tactility in an MX-compatible housing.

This.
Covid really put a damper on innovation. Now that China has really figured out MX switches and shown they can dominate the market they will start creating new designs. Clickies are more difficult and Box was just the first step, clearly it worked, with that success others will jump into that market, it's how China does things. I suspect we probably would have seen more designs already had Covid not hit when it did.

Give it a year or so and I bet we see a LOT of innovation, clickies included, so long as the economy doesn't tank.
I've seen ZealPC teaser with their click leaf design, I'm intruiged, clicky switches are my favorite and I'd love to see "wide" click (I dont know how to describe Alps click sound) rather than a sharp click.
Though I wonder how it will sound in a MX type of switch housing, Alps already sound different in modern casing, from what I can tell big hollow cases brings the best of them, though the only Alps in modern cases I've seen are blue Alps in metal cases (which already ruin sound IMO).

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 09:42:01 »
Yes, the pandemic seems to have hurt innovation, except for JWK recolours.

Zeal had that thing going, which went quiet. 'New' designs in light tactiles are taking a long time. And Cherry was going to roll out those Viola switches, and hasn't really done so to my knowledge.

As long as there is a market for new designs, Chinese manufacturers are well-placed to meet it.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 23:14:58 »
The BOX switches are MX-compatible, but not exactly MX, not Cherry-derived at least.

Many of the BOX designs are Cherry designs, and BOX can't stray too far from Cherry-like tactility.

But with the clickies, they were able to try clickbar solutions that Cherry wasn't doing, and create new options for MX-compatible boards. We need to see more of that.

Those of you discussing what could or should be done might want to examine [if information ever becomes available] what ZealPC was doing before the pandemic hit. They were prototyping ALPS-style clickies and tactility in an MX-compatible housing. Something that would work in the existing ecosystem, but be a different [ALPS-like] approach to click and tactility.

Is this viable? The question is not academic. Here we have a real-world attempt to bring something alternate to the MX method, within the MX infrastructure.

Of course it is viable..But again, keeping the outsides the same but changing the insides..you still have constraints that are derived from MX. 

Not sure it would be viable outside of that..at least not in the current way we require a keyboard

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:28:13 »

Box switches are basically a variant of MX.  With a slightly different inside but compatible outside....How does that differ from the other MX variants?  Because on one variant they changed the material/stem a bit and the other they did a bit more and moved things around inside?

The linears and tactiles, sure, besides the box design itself, which may prove to be both smoother and more reliable than the Cherry mold they descend from. The clickies are nothing like MX other than compatibility with MX boards and MX caps. If nobody is ready/willing to break from the mold of MX when it comes to those two things, then it is only rational to stick with that compatibility.

Which part of the 90s?  Early 90s you had MX and Alps and basically no one else....You started to have early slider based rubber dome keyboards that were just as expensive as Mech boards (which had dropped in price as well).  You didn't start getting into cheap rubber dome keyboards until the later part of the 90s.  But you're right about one thing, Alps had more consumer boards vs. Cherry....Apple, Focus, etc, and as they got cheaper, so did the switches and was eventually one of the reasons Alps went away..they were actually less reliable than rubber domes...

I can't comment on mid-late 90s/simplified Alps, I don't doubt anything you say about that. I don't even buy most boards from the 90s unless they've got Cherry switches or compatible caps (rarely, to modify) or they have no Windows keys. A lot of dome with slider boards don't feel much better than a random generic dome board you can get today. Some felt surprisingly great ... for domes (I don't consider Topre to be all that special, but I'm also not a tactile guy). I consider the 90s to be the decade of the rubber dome, since mechanicals all but went the way of the dodo in the public consciousness, and in computer marketing. Which dome with slider boards cost more to produce than mechanicals? Everything was cheapening across the board throughout that period. It is crazy to think that entire computer setups, monitor and all, started falling under the cost of IBM keyboards from the 1980s.

We do have superior alternatives..There are a ton of different choices now but they revolve around MX..and they're going to for a long time.  What is the incentive to move away from that base?  Nothing.  What will happen is there will just be improvements or alternative designs that are based around MX.....

But making a new switch..so something not based on MX at all...Good luck there.  How has that worked out for everyone else that has tried? 

Choices that revolve around MX are no choices at all. When you say there's no incentive, do you mean for the community, or for manufacturers? There's a big difference there. There's every reason to increase choices and see what improvements can be made, when it comes to the consumer. The manufacturers have no incentive, obviously, because they risk sinking R&D money into something that ends up being no better than MX in a given category, and may not even drum up significant attention even if they do ... because the community isn't focused enough on innovation.

It has worked great for Kailh. I couldn't say how well it has worked out for Matias or Unicomp (both should have more attention than they get, and I don't even like Model Ms). It doesn't sound like Hall effect or optical switches are going away any time soon either, and I hope that they do not.

MX Compatibility (I'm not considering just having a + has MX Compatible in this sense) is just an MX derivative...Alps have had issues for awhile...they are incredibly unreliable.  I had a lot of hope for Matias thinking they'd bring back the original Alps level of quality and in some ways they have, but as more and more people had them, you could see they still had similar issues that IMO, killed Alps...So while I actually like Alps switches, why would I go to something that doesn't have the compatibility I want and get less than ideal reliability?  That's right, I wouldn't..and why so many others don't.

Which Alps switches are you referring to when you say that they're incredibly unreliable? When's the last time you tried Matias switches? Have you used any produced by Gaote (Outemu)? I wonder how many people actually had problems with Matias' switches to begin with, vs the number of boards in circulation. People have had chatter problems with MX from certain keyboard manufacturers as well, if you're lumping the KBParadise V80 in there as well (I have a used one, it seems to work fine so far).

Good luck w/ that.  Not sure where you think there were more switches in the 80s.  There were many different designs, most of which were pretty bad, but we have more switches available today than there were back then..a lot more.  If you're grouping all MX variants as a single switch then yeah, there were more in the 80s.  But we have a lot of choices now.  We have the reliability, compatibility and mod-ability that we never had before..never..

Of course I'm grouping all MX variants as a single switch, at least within the same type. MX tactiles except brown (that I have tried anyway) all feel like MX tactiles, MX linears feel like acceptable linears, MX clickies all feel like typing on a plastic grocery bag. I don't consider MX to be worth modding, and if I did, I would still think there's far too little variation to care about doing so.

Sure, most designs from the 80s were bad, which is half of the fun of trying them. I'm sure it was no fun for the people who produced them, but such is the free market. Even with so many terrible designs, almost all of the best came from that period (or before). The past shows us that so much more can be done with the motivation to do so.

What are we settling for?  You're one of the few that thinks we're settling...

From my standpoint, we have tons of options...we can do so many different things on these switches and have so many different options for mods, keycaps, pcbs, plates, cases, etc, etc.  A new switch would need to not only be better, but overcome that inherent disadvantage. 

But I guess going back to your Box Switch example...you're seeing that as a completely different switch.  I don't.  IMO, what they're doing is the right way to go, try to make bigger changes but keep it the same.

The reality is, people are willing to spend a bit more for a better switch..but they don't need it to be completely different they just want an alternative to what they have.  Companies out there that were making just one more MX clone needed to try to change things up because of all the other variants out there that were, frankly, better than theirs, so that's where growth and innovation is going to come from.  Pushing those companies are the people in the community that are basically making small but noticeable improvements to an old design.

But are they going to create an entirely new switch?  Someone might...why don't you give it a try rather than try to convince everyone else that's what should be happening...

We're settling for MX. I know we're settling because I do not. Regardless of how good or bad you think MX is, why settle? I could sit down and use capacitive buckling spring for the rest of my life if I wanted to, but why use only that if I can also use Matias, Alps, box, SMK, Space Invaders, NEC blue ovals, beam spring (if I ever pull the trigger), Fujitsu Peerless (yes, I actually like those) etc? They're all wonderful clickies, so I enjoy them all and regularly rotate between them.

"... keycaps, pcbs, plates, cases, etc, etc" should be secondary to the switch. If the switch doesn't feel great, why bother with the rest? When I look at all of that stuff the disappointing thought of, "... but I have to settle for box jades with this" sinks in, and I usually move on.

Box clickies are the perfect example. They are a completely different switch. The only commonality is what's necessary for compatibility.

MX development is at a dead end. What can be done with the design has been done, and I would personally argue that even that wasn't worth the effort. It is time for something new. An alternative to one MX clone being another MX clone is no alternative at all.

I don't know why you keep telling me to design something. I have my switches. I don't care about fancy caps, cases, pcbs, etc. I don't fit the criteria to be invested in such a thing. The only modern possibilities I care about are things that are already being looked at like SKCM blue recreation and Silo switches.

TBH, I have had some modest chatter issues with Matias click switches.  I also had one switch that stuck closed.

In a Matias board, or some other? About when were the switches made?

The worst I've seen was the Hua-Jie AK-CN2 Alps clones.  Felt nice when new, but the click leaves declicked after a few months, and one of the switches died open.  6 months of daily driver programmer usage should not kill any keyboard.

I have never tried those. 6 months is obviously inadequate.

The Alps clicky sound and feel is the best, but the keycap availability and reliability is lesser than MX.  I've put a hotswap MX-style board on order, and am hoping I can find a switch I like as much as Matias Click.

I tried Box Navies in another board-- while they give an incredible feel of solidity, they are a bit too stiff and tactile.  The click still sounds higher-pitched and plasticky.

SKCM blue sounds even nicer than Matias. It would be nice if availability were to change, but such is the world. Reliability remains to be seen.

Have you tried box jades or pinks? Both address at least some of your concerns.

Yes, I hope they pull it off.

This.

I surely hope so.

Of course it is viable..But again, keeping the outsides the same but changing the insides..you still have constraints that are derived from MX. 

Not sure it would be viable outside of that..at least not in the current way we require a keyboard

We do not need to adhere to the status quo. All of this emphasis on vanity/customization is the only thing holding back substance. MX compatibility is great, but if it is a limiting factor in something that otherwise has potential, it is worth the sacrifice. Momentum is not in its favor now, but other standards can be created to replace MX.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 01:54:57 »
Lets see: the stem is totally different. The actuation mechanism is also different, and involves an additional part. The whole inside rails / guides is different. The overall shape is even slightly different, even though it stays inside the MX overall limits (which makes sense for keycap / PCB compatiblity). The spring is also quite different (much shorter, and larger diameter i think ?) The only common part with MX is the cross mount, and the electrical contact itself - which is unlikely to change in any non-MX design, unless you are going for Hall effect. And also note that these non-MX Hall effect switches (which are obviously totally different from regular Cherry MX) still have the same footprint and cross mount as MX....
Is it needed to change the mount or the footprint ? Dont think so, unless you want to go back to these huge Honeywell / Microswitch Hall effect switches, as discussed there's plenty of room for doing whatever you want inside that footprint. Hall effect is the game changer now, and allows for a lot of interesting features (such as click leaves).

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 23:38:08 »

On a Blackheart PCB installed in an 3rd-generation Omnikey 102 carcass.  The switches were ordered July 2020.

Best I can tell, they were a one-off where someone on Deskthority put in a group-buy order to convince them to make a batch.  They barely even hit the MOQ.

SKCM blue sounds even nicer than Matias. It would be nice if availability were to change, but such is the world. Reliability remains to be seen.

I recall liking the old FK-2001s I bought from scrap shops in the early 2000s, which were probably White Pine Complicated (of course, back then, it wasn't even a thing) but they were usually near their end of life by that time.  But honestly, I wonder if this has become a meme/cult mindset.  We should be trying to encapsulate what is good about Blue Alps and put it into a new design with a longer service life, etc.)

I bought some Pale Blues to stick into one of those modestly-priced hot-swap chassis.  Maybe one day we'll get a second run of the GH-122 to install them into permanently if I like them.

I was intrigued by the Zeal prototype, but have run out of patience.  If I wanted to wait years for something, it may as well be Matias PBT caps. :P
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 02:16:42 »
Which Alps switches are you referring to when you say that they're incredibly unreliable? When's the last time you tried Matias switches? Have you used any produced by Gaote (Outemu)? I wonder how many people actually had problems with Matias' switches to begin with, vs the number of boards in circulation. People have had chatter problems with MX from certain keyboard manufacturers as well, if you're lumping the KBParadise V80 in there as well (I have a used one, it seems to work fine so far).
In today's world?  Just thinking about Matias...I've used them, I have no issue with the feel.  The issue I have with them is when they first came out, they were touted as an improvement and they've sorted out the reliability issues...but that never really happened.  Have I used Matias switches on a non-Matias board?  No.  And could it be more of an issue with their keyboards more than the switch itself? Sure...
AEKII and Focus were two of my favorite keyboards ever..so I'm certainly not against using Alps..but if I'm giving up something (compatibility) then in the least I want something reliable...even if they seemed equally as reliable as MX, that would be fine, but they don't.  Again, it could just be no one is investing in building an Alps board and so reliability suffers...but I'm just not that keen to sort that out when there are plenty of better alternatives (in this case Topre for me). 

Of course I'm grouping all MX variants as a single switch, at least within the same type. MX tactiles except brown (that I have tried anyway) all feel like MX tactiles, MX linears feel like acceptable linears, MX clickies all feel like typing on a plastic grocery bag. I don't consider MX to be worth modding, and if I did, I would still think there's far too little variation to care about doing so.

Sure, most designs from the 80s were bad, which is half of the fun of trying them. I'm sure it was no fun for the people who produced them, but such is the free market. Even with so many terrible designs, almost all of the best came from that period (or before). The past shows us that so much more can be done with the motivation to do so.

So you know that technically you're incorrect....When there are no standards, budding markets, etc, you can be free to do whatever you want.  Even keyboards in general, were still relatively new things.  Significantly more expensive in relative terms than they were today...But with a mature market, you're not going to try to go too far off pist simply because it doesn't make sense to. 

But outside of that....You're seemingly suggesting that innovation isn't happening...yet there have been more innovation, more variations, more options, etc, available in the last 5-6 years than probably the last 20-25 combined in terms of keyboards... 

You only have to look at this board awhile back to see what limited options there actually were....And at some point, it might make sense to do something completely different...If that is your passion why don't YOU do it?  Invest your extra money into prototyping it, get investors to fund building it, bring it to market? 

MX development is at a dead end. What can be done with the design has been done, and I would personally argue that even that wasn't worth the effort. It is time for something new. An alternative to one MX clone being another MX clone is no alternative at all.

I don't know why you keep telling me to design something. I have my switches. I don't care about fancy caps, cases, pcbs, etc. I don't fit the criteria to be invested in such a thing. The only modern possibilities I care about are things that are already being looked at like SKCM blue recreation and Silo switches.

It isn't dead.  Would you like to make a bet on that?  You think it is dead because it doesn't fit what you want.  But the reality is, there is a ton of innovation and changes going on switch wise.  So much so, unless you're really paying attention, it is hard to keep up with all of the NEW things coming out.  Factually, you're just wrong.  Market prediction and demand would also indicate, you're wrong. 

The reason I'm telling YOU to design something is, you're sitting here basically saying what everyone else is doing is a waste of time, not really an alternative...you're basically insulting their work and innovation and what they're bringing to the market.  So why don't YOU do something about it?  If you feel so passionate about it do something about it.  Show us all you're right. 

But from my standpoint, you're still the guy that has opinions on things like certain keycaps even though he's never used those himself.   And that type of person has also made assumptions about other things he's never used himself - most of which are incorrect. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 13:15:39 »

On a Blackheart PCB installed in an 3rd-generation Omnikey 102 carcass.  The switches were ordered July 2020.

That sounds like an awesome setup. I have been drooling over some Omnikey 102s lately. Since this is custom, were you able to resolve the issues? One of the theories behind Matias switch woes is that problems arise from the switches not being soldered in with the pins in just the right orientation. To this day Matias suggests pressing against switches with a business card to help with chatter. I asked about resoldering and they said that may help as well. This was when I had some chatter the first week of using a brand new board purchased in early-mid 2020. It went away by itself.

I sort of want to solder some Matias switches into an otherwise trashed vintage board partly for this reason, experimentation on that front.

Best I can tell, they were a one-off where someone on Deskthority put in a group-buy order to convince them to make a batch.  They barely even hit the MOQ.

Right, I think I have spied that IC.

I recall liking the old FK-2001s I bought from scrap shops in the early 2000s, which were probably White Pine Complicated (of course, back then, it wasn't even a thing) but they were usually near their end of life by that time.  But honestly, I wonder if this has become a meme/cult mindset.  We should be trying to encapsulate what is good about Blue Alps and put it into a new design with a longer service life, etc.)

I think it has. Bring back what was good, forget what wasn't, and try something new. The market has grown, but not in a way that reflects the sheer amount of interest vs where this all began to take off.

I bought some Pale Blues to stick into one of those modestly-priced hot-swap chassis.  Maybe one day we'll get a second run of the GH-122 to install them into permanently if I like them.

I was intrigued by the Zeal prototype, but have run out of patience.  If I wanted to wait years for something, it may as well be Matias PBT caps. :P

I wasn't a fan of pale blues in my switch tester. Being box, they're great compared to just about any other clicky made today, but I like a little more tactility within that family and the jades and pinks seem to have the deepest sound. I can certainly see why some would choose it over the others.

Polymer - I'll send you a P.M. if you want to continue this. There's no reason to draw this spat out in a random thread. Here, I'll leave it at my being mischaracterized/misinterpreted ... again. I'm not sure how else to take it.