Author Topic: Warepd keyboard case, any idea how to reshape it?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Leopard223

Warepd keyboard case, any idea how to reshape it?
« on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:26:54 »
So I've noticed my NK65EE is a bit warped, not an issue but the bottom is pretty warped to the point it prevents the USB port from aligning with the cutout (that is on the bottom part). 
Only solution to it is to tighten the standoffs very tight, that along with stressing the plastic standoffs, makes the KB pretty stiff and sound weird on switches near screws.

Anyone has a idea how to reshape the bottom part? case is made out of PC.
I thought about putting it in an oven heated to 150c or using a heatgun but it seems risky.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Warepd keyboard case, any idea how to reshape it?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 21:19:25 »
Are you sure it's warped and not something just sitting crooked?
That just seems extreme for how it all goes together, or maybe my memory on how it goes together is off (I don't have the EE).

I would reconsider your oven idea, plastics, especially something made of PC would be difficult to do without damaging something. You have to bring the temp up slow enough that it will heat completely through and relax but without anything sagging, that's not nearly as easy as you think, it needs to be done in increments. You also won't be able to do it while assembled (it will add hot spots and stress), making it a guessing game. You could literally spend hours only to find it was too much, not enough or destroyed, or that this wasn't even where the problem was.  As for the heat gun, don't less you want a destroyed case. It's bad enough using the oven and bringing it up slowly without something to help retain shape, a heat gun will just make a mess, I've tried it many times with 3d prints, it never works how you plan. Too cold would be fine, but just a tiny bit too much heat (oven or gun) and the whole thing is ruined.

My advice, double check the whole assembly and if it's still an issue just cut the hole bigger.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 09:48:24 »
Are you sure it's warped and not something just sitting crooked?
That just seems extreme for how it all goes together, or maybe my memory on how it goes together is off (I don't have the EE).

I would reconsider your oven idea, plastics, especially something made of PC would be difficult to do without damaging something. You have to bring the temp up slow enough that it will heat completely through and relax but without anything sagging, that's not nearly as easy as you think, it needs to be done in increments. You also won't be able to do it while assembled (it will add hot spots and stress), making it a guessing game. You could literally spend hours only to find it was too much, not enough or destroyed, or that this wasn't even where the problem was.  As for the heat gun, don't less you want a destroyed case. It's bad enough using the oven and bringing it up slowly without something to help retain shape, a heat gun will just make a mess, I've tried it many times with 3d prints, it never works how you plan. Too cold would be fine, but just a tiny bit too much heat (oven or gun) and the whole thing is ruined.

My advice, double check the whole assembly and if it's still an issue just cut the hole bigger.
Thanks for the advices, it is pretty warped , I've managed to sort of fix it, but by a different way.
My main issue was that it caused the assembly to be crooked and have a lot of strain on the plastic standoffs (potentially braking them over time and transferring the strain to the usb port).
Also might have been my imagination but having that much strain on the board and standoffs made the board feel super stiff.

I've taken the board apart to see exactly what casued it to not align, seperating the plate from the top case and placing it on the bottom part showed me that the million stand offs on the bottom part were higher than they should.
So I shaved the top of the stand offs along with the sides of the bottom part to allow the plate to sit more flush with the frame, trimming the sillicon pad standoffs (if you can call them like that) and it sort of fixed it, allowing me to align the parts with very minimal flex required.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 21:15:14 »
Wow, have you talked to Novelkeys about it?
If nothing else they need to know about this being an issue.

I think what you did was your best option.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Crabby

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 07:57:40 »
If you bought that new I wouldn't accept that QC. I'd get a replacement asap.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 17:18:07 »
Wow, have you talked to Novelkeys about it?
If nothing else they need to know about this being an issue.

I think what you did was your best option.
Yeah, their response was "There can be slight warping so the board, it's pretty common with polycarbonate boards", and offered a $10 partial discount, I told them I dont want that and I'll be fine with a new bottom part but they said they can't provide me due to the nature of the product.. (limited runs), so they also offered full refund if I'll send them the board back, which will cost me more than the kit so I just accepted the loss and took the $10 discount.

Overall I'm underwhelmed, it looks great and no issues with the PCB but QC is terrible.. this kit is not good, also very noticeable sound difference with some parts very resonating.
Guess I just got unlucky and got a defective case but I dont think I'm gonna get a kit from them again..
They offered a full refund but sending it back would cost me more than the kit itself.. Guess my next kit will be the kbd67 lite..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 20:41:11 »
Polycarbonate is a hassle with shrinkage/warping, so I can see it being an issue, the aluminum model is probably the safer option.

I think the biggest problem is the assembler, they aren't screening for issues and just use whatever they have on hand to just throw them together as fast as possible and by any means necessary. Reminds me of old China where they just didn't give a sh*t about what they were doing.

Maybe we need to just stick with the aluminum model and check the assembly as soon as you get it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:42:04 »

Polycarbonate is a hassle with shrinkage/warping, so I can see it being an issue, the aluminum model is probably the safer option.

I think the biggest problem is the assembler, they aren't screening for issues and just use whatever they have on hand to just throw them together as fast as possible and by any means necessary. Reminds me of old China where they just didn't give a sh*t about what they were doing.

Maybe we need to just stick with the aluminum model and check the assembly as soon as you get it.
Well, I'm at a loss here.

After heavily modifying the case (Slicing parts of the standoffs/case/sillicon pad to be able squezz to case parts properly) I've managed to close it without needing substantial force.
Sadly due to the warped case needing to be squeezed to fit, it produces an unpleasant echo and ping on the entire left half of the keyboard, here's a video demonstrating the echo (with linear switches).
I know it's the Esc key and naturally it will sound different, (I dont have the proffesional sound recording equipment to properly show it) it's like the Esc key, less loud but still noticable across the entire left half, also here's a video demonstrating the ping on some keys.
So it's either have a l fine sound but loose case and strain on the USB port, or have it properly closed but have unpleasant sound.

Tried contacing NK again to see if a replcament case exists, or even a B stock case, no matter the color or time it takes as long as it's properly functional, told in other words to either return it or go pound sand, 
Returning it is an issue for me, I've already paid $45 on shipping+FedEx (ridiculous) tax, shipping it back will cost me at least another $40, so it's a major loss.
It's my fault too no doubt, but seeing the warm feedback the kits and customer service got, and the zero issues the kits got, (of major QC issues at least), assured me I'm getting a quality product, sadly I did not.

Pretty let down to be honest, after first contacting them the response I got was $10 refund recipt as if they said "oh you got a QC issue so here's a B-stock price, now you're good".
Am I'm overreacting?
This is cleartly not stated on their "Acceptable Quality Standards", the video shows a loud echo/ping which does not present on the right side and not on the tray mount keyboard I put next to it for comparison (which considered the worst sounding), though the responce I got was "this is still in line with what is normal" about the case warp and the hollow echo sound being called "Having various sounds and pings is normal" or "it is mostly a matter of preference".

I feel like all I'm left now is to file a dispute with PP but it seems a bit harsh, after all I still got the KB, though on the other side it's defective and I dont enjoy using it, and I'd end up spending more money replacing it.
(though PP might wave me off, since to a non keyboard enthusiast it will sound ridiculous, though I have proof of the QC issues).

Sorry for the long comment,
Is that considered accaptable to you? is that expected on the KB community? should I just let go? thank you for any responce.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2021, 09:02:23 by Leopard223 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 20:47:01 »
If it functioned when you got it and then you messed with it can you not see why they might think it was something you caused? This is why they want you to report issues as soon as possible, it eliminates questions.

As for what they offered, they offered to replace it, you declined due to cost, that's not their problem. What they offered is pretty standard for most companies and it's not really that unfair as they would take a pretty massive loss by the time they send you a replacement plus shipping both ways, while you may think they should pay it, you need to understand just how many will take advantage of that policy and keep returning for the absolutely most minor B.S., many retailers and manufacturers have been screwed by too liberal return options.

There's clearly an issue, but you need to at least take some responsibility here as well, they didn't tell you to chop up the case. You may have had a valid claim, but once you started carving on it they can't even repair and sell it as a refurbished unit if they fix it, yet you expect them to pay shipping both ways, plus a new unit? Just to break even from that would require selling at least 5 other units.

Best advice is to keep your eyes open for a b-grade aluminum case.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 22:28:59 »
If it functioned when you got it and then you messed with it can you not see why they might think it was something you caused? This is why they want you to report issues as soon as possible, it eliminates questions.

As for what they offered, they offered to replace it, you declined due to cost, that's not their problem. What they offered is pretty standard for most companies and it's not really that unfair as they would take a pretty massive loss by the time they send you a replacement plus shipping both ways, while you may think they should pay it, you need to understand just how many will take advantage of that policy and keep returning for the absolutely most minor B.S., many retailers and manufacturers have been screwed by too liberal return options.

There's clearly an issue, but you need to at least take some responsibility here as well, they didn't tell you to chop up the case. You may have had a valid claim, but once you started carving on it they can't even repair and sell it as a refurbished unit if they fix it, yet you expect them to pay shipping both ways, plus a new unit? Just to break even from that would require selling at least 5 other units.

Best advice is to keep your eyes open for a b-grade aluminum case.
First of all thank you for the input, I definitely understand what you mean, I’ve forgot to mention I didn’t post it and start modifying the case before contacting them with photos of the issues, and realizing they wouldn’t be able to provide help.

For clarity at no point I asked them for a replacement kit, obviously that would be ridiculous, I just asked for a case, I assumed they might have a cracked b-stock case or something with a non working PCB they might be able to provide, guess I was wrong, I feel like that is reasonable to ask for.

The mistake here is totally mine trying to modify the case before further contacting them, maybe I should have asked for a replacement oh well. 
Maybe they got the impression I’m asking for a new kit, I’ll reach out to them one last time about a potentially b-stock case and see what they think about it. 

I feel like I’m dragging this way too much now so this will be my last post about this, thanks for the input again.
About the Alu case, interesting idea, but I think I’ll pass on gambling on $90 B-stock, besides, I dislike metal case sound, that’s why I got the NK65EE for its density and muted sound (and why I’m so bothered by the echo haha).
I think I’ll start by modeling and 3D printing a bottom piece and see where it takes me.