Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage mod - keypad in center  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Keyboard search

Kinesis Advantage mod - keypad in center
« on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 18:13:21 »
I posted this a long while back.  I had to make a new thread for better pics, since the old one is read-only archived.

The numpad (aka keypad) is nice for entering zip codes, debit card numbers, etc.  This keypad has the Cherry MX brown switches, and is made by Kinesis, just like the keyboard.

I bought some X-acto brand saws, and hacked away a numpad-shaped hole between the halves.

You can see from the second image how I lowered the main green board to make room for the numpad.   I left the other green board (with the USB ports) hanging off the keyboard, connected by a wire.  A simple wooden chopstick holds the keypad in place.

I hope these photos and words give a better idea of what this mod entails.  It was well worth it back when I used to play MUDs, so I could walk around most quickly.  I don't know if I'd do it again on my next Kinesis.  But I am glad I did it to this one, and I don't expect to need another Kinesis any time soon.  Let me know here on this thread if you have any questions.

14352-0

14354-1

14356-2

14358-3

Updated images with cleaner keyboard and better lighting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 February 2013, 15:03:18 by Keyboard search »
I use my modded Kinesis Advantage (Black).  It has a Kinesis numpad between the halves.

Offline sordna

Re: Kinesis Advantage mod - keypad in center
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 12:28:54 »
Cool, it would be nice to see a poto showing the keyboard from the right or left side, to show the height of the numpad in relation to the keywells.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard