Author Topic: Lead Free Solder? Newbie interested in Ergodox  (Read 4009 times)

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
Lead Free Solder? Newbie interested in Ergodox
« on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 11:38:43 »
Hey all,

I have no experience soldering, but have been interested in learning how to for a while. With the Ergodox groupbuy going on right now I was wondering if those with more experience would recommend it as a first project to learn on. Thanks for the input!

Edit: New question at the bottom!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:51:26 by reziak »

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Newbie interested in Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 12:13:11 »
Its the ergodox. If starting there is the only way to be here, at this time in your life, then obviously the top of the chain is where you start.

No but seriously I've never soldered anything together, and have only un-soldered one keyboard but still plan on making myself this keyboard. It has very thorough directions and there are youtube videos (probably some on Vimeo too) showing the construction of  this very keyboard.

I'm pretty sure you'll do fine, but I will say that I'm, for myself, probably going to let this drop go by so I can buy a board from another GB, build that and probably sell the keyboard. Strictly for the experience, so that when I build my dream keyboard ... it will be everything I hope for.

Although I don't think you can go too far wrong putting it together, function wise. Just don't let the solder cause the streams to cross and it'll be fine even if it looks like it was built in a garage by some guy that doesn't know how to solder.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline effnish

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 17:29:20 »
Most of the Ergodox assembly is pretty easy through-hole soldering and quite forgiving. The surface-mount diodes are a little tricky due to their small size. With a little practice and patience, you'll do fine. I'm sure one of the guys that do assembly work could do the diodes for a small fee if you're worried about them.

Offline crm114

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 18:46:54 »
If you're worried about the surface mount diodes you can get a heat gun and use solder paste. It's pretty cheap and significantly easier. When I build my ergodox, I'd never soldered a surface mounted component before, but it really isn't that hard. Just make sure that you know the basics of soldering (e.g., heat the contacts not the solder) and you should be fine. This comic is a great introduction.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 20:45:39 »
Thanks for the tips, all! I'd love to build my own 60% board at some point too. Wondering if I should start by just modding a keyboard I already own.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:08:57 »
Its the ergodox. If starting there is the only way to be here, at this time in your life, then obviously the top of the chain is where you start.

No but seriously I've never soldered anything together, and have only un-soldered one keyboard but still plan on making myself this keyboard. It has very thorough directions and there are youtube videos (probably some on Vimeo too) showing the construction of  this very keyboard.

I'm pretty sure you'll do fine, but I will say that I'm, for myself, probably going to let this drop go by so I can buy a board from another GB, build that and probably sell the keyboard. Strictly for the experience, so that when I build my dream keyboard ... it will be everything I hope for.

Although I don't think you can go too far wrong putting it together, function wise. Just don't let the solder cause the streams to cross and it'll be fine even if it looks like it was built in a garage by some guy that doesn't know how to solder.

How often do these Ergodox GB's come around? I'd love to get in on one but am not sure if I can do this one.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:10:35 »

How often do these Ergodox GB's come around? I'd love to get in on one but am not sure if I can do this one.

More often than you think. This round is the 5th round on MD i think

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:16:57 »

More often than you think. This round is the 5th round on MD i think

Okay, that's good news. I'd really love to build one soon!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:24:39 »
For the ergodox, you don't have to use the surface mount diodes if you don't want to. In one of mine I was swapping springs anyway, so I did all the switches with through hole diodes. It takes a lot longer, but is much easier to solder.

Just make sure you put the diodes on the right way. This can be corrected in firmware, but it's best to just do it right the first time.

Massdrop does a GB for them every three months or so.

Also, for whatever reason I cannot get the firmware to load on the teensy. I hope you will not have trouble with that as I have.
---
As far as first soldering projects go, it's not bad actually. The hardest part is opening all the switches or surface mounting the diodes to the board, the rest is very easy, and shoulrd make for a good first-project.

Another alternative to start with is to get in on the sprit GB, where all you'll have to do is solder the switches and LEDs (if you want LEDs) since the controller, diodes, resistors, and firmware are already done.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 02:14:35 »
Thanks for all the detailed info. I will definitely put aside some cash for the next groupbuy.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:39:17 »
Decided to go for it. :)

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:35:51 »
In preparation for the Ergodox kit I've decided to do a smaller project (changing switches and adding LEDs to my Poker 2!). I've got a soldering iron and a Soldapullt.

I've been reading a lot - both on here and elsewhere on the web - about lead vs lead-free solder, and I think I want to try to go the lead free route. I understand it's more work, but since I don't know any different anyway, I'd like to keep my dog and fiance safe. We live in a tiny studio apartment, and I don't want to risk anything.

I've also read about the fumes being worse in lead-free solder, but I will make sure to do it by an open window with a fan set up to blow the fumes out.

Any recommendations for what kind of lead free solder to buy? At this point, all I'll be doing is switches and LEDs (through hole) - nothing too major  ;D

Thanks for your help, guys!

Offline jacobolus

Re: Lead Free Solder? Newbie interested in Ergodox
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:09:44 »
As far as I understand, the lead part of leaded solder isn’t particularly dangerous, as long as you clean up any stray flakes/blobs of solder from your workspace, wash your hands after soldering, and don’t try to eat the solder. The part to be concerned about in a confined space, whatever type of solder you use, is the flux smoke. Just get one of those little fan + carbon filter things, they work great (or the window should be fine too).

The place to use lead-free solder is in mass production, so that when you make a million PCBs that end up in a landfill somewhere, there’s no lead to leech into the groundwater. If you’re just making DIY stuff, stick with the 63/37 Kester 44, or similar leaded solder. It’s much much easier to work with, especially if you’re just starting, and better for your PCBs, since you can use less heat, so you have less chance of lifting the pads off.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:40:19 by jacobolus »

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 11:47:04 »
As a practice run I'm changing the switches and adding LEDs to my Poker 2. When I'm done, do I just wipe the PCB down to get all the solder dust off? If so, what should I use? There has been a lot (due to desoldering). Thanks!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:48:41 »
As a practice run I'm changing the switches and adding LEDs to my Poker 2. When I'm done, do I just wipe the PCB down to get all the solder dust off? If so, what should I use? There has been a lot (due to desoldering). Thanks!
The best thing to do is clean it off with alcohol, this will get rid of the extra flux residue (which doesnt usually hurt, but best practise is to clean it off) and the solder flakes as well (which do need to be cleaned).

You can use an alcohol pad, but it's easier to get a bottle of alcohol and use that with something.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 15:14:01 »
The amount of lead you will be exposed to from soldering and desoldering a few keyboards will not be harmful to your health.  You will be well under exposure limits set by NIOSH.  In all actuality you will probably be exposed to more lead in drinking water in a year than what you will be actually taking into your body desoldering and resoldering an entire full sized keyboard.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich