Author Topic: Aaand I dyed my caps.  (Read 2172 times)

Offline moonexe

Aaand I dyed my caps.
« on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 18:51:11 »
Black! :D
I used Dylon multi-purpose dye, roughly following this thread, although not in a very scientific way.

I stained a few fingernails in the process, but the keys turned out perfect! Even better than I expected. Every key is completely black, and the indices are just slightly visible since they aren't flush with the surface to begin with.

(Ignore the unfinished fox key, there's a red esc key in the mail that will soon take its place. :p)

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
Re: Aaand I dyed my caps.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:11:55 »
Looks pretty cool! Do you think they'll wear at all over time?
;)

Offline moonexe

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:27:40 »
I think the indices might wear back to gray over time, but I'm not sure. I doubt the actual keys will go back to a lighter shade, though. It's not like it's getting sunlight or anything. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:30:06 by moonexe »

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:37:52 »
What caps did you dye? I might have some that I wouldn't mind experimenting with :)
;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 11:41:14 »
Came out good. I told you it's very simple to dye PBTs. Now you just need to get some blank ones to do in other colors to make the Portal keyboard.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:11:10 »
I'm already talking to imsto about the white blanks. :D
I also shaved down the cherry logo and LED symbols to be flush with the case so I can paint over them

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:13:32 »
OMG unfinished fox key!  ;D

That keyboard also comes in a black version with black keys I believe.  I did a similar swap with a G80, black keys to a white board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:15:44 by PointyFox »

Offline moonexe

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 16:30:06 »
Black ABS keys with white indexes AFAIK :p
And the fox key will be cast in resin eventually if I can finish it. ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 20:04:05 »
Instead paint the case, I would recommend to make the Aperture logo and the function label thing with waterslide decal like used on model kits. You can print your own with home laser or inkjet with the right waterslide paper.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:03:03 »
I'll work out the logo later, but in the meantime, I still want the case to be white instead of beige. :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 00:33:02 »
Oh I see. I would recommend use VHT vinyl dye. It's more better than regular paint for plastic things.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 07:43:45 »
I'm not sure if I can find that here, I've looked before with no success... I was thinking krylon fusion, it's been used with good results on gamepads and such (those are probably ABS... Any clue what the cherry cases are?)
Not sure how flexible it is, though. The top of the case does bend quite a bit in the process of opening it. :rolleyes: