Author Topic: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?  (Read 72749 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?

Lately:
  • An adjustable sit/stand desk, something like Varidesk but made by a local company (Stell). It's not ideal and maybe I would have preferred an arm-based setup to save space, but it works well enough. I did move between a standing and sitting setup before (for over 5 years), but it was annoying at time (especially if you need to sync data and software configuration).
  • Speakers. Seriously. I used pretty much only headphones for ~10 years and now it's so feeing to be able to walk around, sit and do stuff on the floor on the opposite side of the room etc.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
My Boss QC35, noise cancelling wireless headphone is the best spending ever!!

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
A trackball mouse, never again will I go back.

Offline Colourr

• no worries
My smart phone.

Easily the only piece of technology I use everyday without fail.. and our teachers used to teach us we wouldn't always have a calculator handy. HAH.

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
Getting my first 144hz monitor was definitely the most noticeable upgrade I've ever had..especially when I got a BenQ.

Offline crystalflame

Getting my first 144hz monitor was definitely the most noticeable upgrade I've ever had..especially when I got a BenQ.
Absolutely my best purchase of the last year as well. Video games on a 144 Hz, 1440p, IPS panel with gsync/freesync and you'll never ever go back to anything less.

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

These little cable clips are an absolute godsend for managing cables that don't necessarily need to be tied down (e.g. USB charging cables, Bluetooth receiver dongles).

You can find them on Amazon for super cheap in a variety of colors/quantities.

Offline dankdesire

Changed my life, can't go back to 60hz

Offline floatingskull

Volta electric bike. Makes bike riding in the windy city way more fun. Especially riding to and from work against the wind. I had no idea what I was missing.

Offline Deephouse_jedi

A bluetooth connector for my car. it makes my non-bluetooth aftermarket radio blue tooth and connects automatically when I start my car. its so convenient

Offline hilltopchill

Another vote for SSD, it really speeds everything up. Would 100% recommend everyone to buy one if they don't already have one.

Offline carnagex9

I would say SSD as the decreased load times are so nice. Also mechanical keyboards are honestly so much better than regular membranes.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
I would say SSD as the decreased load times are so nice. Also mechanical keyboards are honestly so much better than regular membranes.

almost there, only 2 posts to go!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
I am really digging my Apple Airpods!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
I am really digging my Apple Airpods!

user -Archdill- signed up @ sugar daddy.com ?

hjahahahahah.. just kidding..

Offline quazikun

lately it's been a big power bank. phone/switch charging when im out longer than i think.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Really simple and rudimentary, but — magnet-held keyboard wrist rest.

Offline T14

work just gave me a 2017 surface pro.
Super lightweight, fanless, great for general productivity and with a gorgeous screen.

It never leaves my side  :thumb:
-T14
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline TacticalCoder

Another vote for SSD, it really speeds everything up. Would 100% recommend everyone to buy one if they don't already have one.

My M.2 / PCIe 3.0 x4 lanes SSD.

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline haanuman

iPad Air! It has been 5 years since I purchased this device and it still works like Day 1 and even the cosmetic condition is excellent. One of the most or I can say the most reliable piece of tech I ever purchased, I can rely on it whenever I am working or playing. Never had an issue with it.

Offline molecularronin

I bought a hot plate! I am trying to start making moonshine and so I wanted to get a hot plate to start my rig up.

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*
These little cable clips are an absolute godsend for managing cables that don't necessarily need to be tied down (e.g. USB charging cables, Bluetooth receiver dongles).

Show Image

What are these called? They look very useful and I'd love to check them out! I don't need the exact link, but do you recall what you searched for?

Thanks!

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

Show Image

What are these called? They look very useful and I'd love to check them out! I don't need the exact link, but do you recall what you searched for?

Thanks!

These are the particular ones I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMSEN9Y

Searching for 'cable clips' in the office supplies category yields hundreds of similar products in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*

Show Image

Thanks!

These are the particular ones I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMSEN9Y

Searching for 'cable clips' in the office supplies category yields hundreds of similar products in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Great, thank you!! Off to check them out. :)

Offline Sniping

my macbook pro's been treating me pretty well. everything's packaged into the laptop kinda nicely and the nice finish tops it off. i'm just glad i don't have to use git bash and deal with other windows annoyances anymore.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Seems like my AKG K240 Studio (new) headphones just wont break regardless of how many times I roll over the cord with the computer chair. Not the best range but not bad for 2+ years of use.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Seems like my AKG K240 Studio (new) headphones just wont break regardless of how many times I roll over the cord with the computer chair. Not the best range but not bad for 2+ years of use.
So you want them to break so you can get new ones??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
So you want them to break so you can get new ones??

I forgot to mention how many times I've dropped them so far (A LOT). Kinda? At this rate they'll be vintage by the time they actually break.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I have used "Flexon" by Marchon frames for my glasses for at least 25 years and they are incredible. My current frames are 10-15 years old and still great. I have replaced a few pads and screws, but otherwise they have lasted through multiple sets of new lenses.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I have used "Flexon" by Marchon frames for my glasses for at least 25 years and they are incredible. My current frames are 10-15 years old and still great. I have replaced a few pads and screws, but otherwise they have lasted through multiple sets of new lenses.
My kids need these :eek:

The oldest broke her glasses frames 5 times in the first 6 months.

Offline Findecanor

Ooh. They also make sunglasses. :)

Offline starhacker

Dual Monitors - has improved my software development productivity greatly.

This is not something you can buy but learning VIM has been so useful, now I feel more fluid while programming.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
I literally just bought an old Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" monitor from a friend today. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to plug it into my gaming rig and give it a real workout!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I literally just bought an old Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" monitor from a friend today. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to plug it into my gaming rig and give it a real workout!

U need a calibration pr0be. by now, a u3011 would've drifted really far because it's CCFL backlit.

CCFL is also very hot,  which is also why it drifts so much over time as the tubes wear along with baking the crystals.. often times causing slight color cast.

Offline juntheboon

car phone charger

Offline smarmar

Re: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:25:07 »

U need a calibration pr0be. by now, a u3011 would've drifted really far because it's CCFL backlit.

CCFL is also very hot,  which is also why it drifts so much over time as the tubes wear along with baking the crystals.. often times causing slight color cast.

I probably should get a pr0be but I'm pleased with how it looks. I ran through a series of calibration images here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and poked through the monitor's menus. I noticed that it has a more vibrant and slightly greener cast than either of my LG LED LCD monitors. It's also insanely bright.

Now that I've tasted 2560x1600 I never wanna go back to "HD" again. I almost get depressed when I go into the office and have to use 1920x1080 resolution  :cool:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:36:16 »

I probably should get a pr0be but I'm pleased with how it looks. I ran through a series of calibration images here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and poked through the monitor's menus. I noticed that it has a more vibrant and slightly greener cast than either of my LG LED LCD monitors. It's also insanely bright.

Now that I've tasted 2560x1600 I never wanna go back to "HD" again. I almost get depressed when I go into the office and have to use 1920x1080 resolution  :cool:

The Green cast is due to the Baking..

The test image can help with contrast and brightness, and sort of get gamma in control..

However, you really need a probe on these old HOT monitors..

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:41:20 »
Dual Monitors - has improved my software development productivity greatly.

I did this while in some web design/programming courses at college. Changed my life.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #288 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 16:01:29 »

The Green cast is due to the Baking..

The test image can help with contrast and brightness, and sort of get gamma in control..

However, you really need a probe on these old HOT monitors..

Hmmm...I shall look into calibration probes. In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy playing Portal 2, uncalibrated!

Offline Lepr3chaun

« Reply #289 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 18:38:29 »
Bose QC 35s and Apple AirPods.

Neither are audiophile quality but are great for the purposes I use them for. Big upgrade over my 4 year addiction to the LG Tone line. No more odd neck tan lines.  :))

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 19:00:13 »
Dell 17" 4:3 flatscreen. TAS is available via Blu-ray but it's still 4:3 (1.33:1) you know?

edit - No chives or sour cream, sorry not sorry.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2018, 19:46:55 by csmertx »

Offline PierceSutton

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 19:10:37 »
I could say my smart phone or desktop but, something that I'm always thankful that I have is this cord that is 2 in 1 thunder and micro usb. I got it as a gift (Yeah, I didn't purchase it) and have been searching Amazon for it but can't find anything like it. It's just a really handy and unique cord.
Original Apple Extended, Orange Alps