Author Topic: My Leopold Box/Carry Case  (Read 3910 times)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
My Leopold Box/Carry Case
« on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 22:38:34 »
I have started construction on my own wooden box for my Leopold. The box will include a caddy for my USB cable, as well as a main compartment for my board. It will be constructed of Red Oak as the top and bottom pieces and Walnut as the sides and the divider between the USB caddy and main compartment. I will also be felt lining the interior to prevent accidental scratching of my board. Finally, the box will be routered at a 1/4 inch radius to make things look and feel nice on the outside and then some poly on the outside. I'll try to get a 3D model picture for you guys so that you can imagine what I'm trying to explain. Besides, I need one for myself so I'm not just winging dimensions.

OH! It also will have my name etc. engraved from a laser engraver at school. Not sure if I'll put my name or SmallFry. I'll keep you guys posted!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: My Leopold Box/Carry Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 19:31:01 »
I now have a rough image of the case from Autodesk's Inventor that I drew up at school today.
TADA!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 21:50:51 »
What joints are you going to be using?

You're case looks simple, but in terms of jointery, it's going to be very hard to make.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 22:54:15 »
I was just going to cut the walnut at 45's and glue and brad nail it all together. Unless you have other suggestions, Mr. Wood. :P

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 23:25:28 »
I was just going to cut the walnut at 45's and glue and brad nail it all together. Unless you have other suggestions, Mr. Wood. :P

That's exactly what I would have done, except the brad nail. Nails do hold things together, but over time, they loosen due to expansion and contraction of the wood. Plus that's one more thing to sand and fill with wood puddy. I would use splines to strengthen the joint, but without a spline cutting jig, it would be pretty hard to do.

Where the sides meet the bottom is a butt joint, not super strong without some other kind of re-enforcement. Maybe try using dowels or biscuit to make it a bit stronger. If I were making the box, I would float the bottom using dados in the sides, or rabbet the bottom to add more surface area for the glue.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 23:58:30 »
I'm not sure that I understand all your terms Beast... The spline makes sence, not sure how I'd do it but I have a lot of tools at my disposal, just little experience. I've never really built anything by myself, always been with my dad helping. He said he'd help, but I do all the design so its on me when I screw up. :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 00:01:57 »
I'm not sure that I understand all your terms Beast... The spline makes sence, not sure how I'd do it but I have a lot of tools at my disposal, just little experience. I've never really built anything by myself, always been with my dad helping. He said he'd help, but I do all the design so its on me when I screw up. :)

If there are any others, just ask :D

Here's a handy wiki to expand different wood joints
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 00:19:32 »
Thanks The_Beast! That helps a lot. I'll ask my dad what he thinks we should do for the joints. Tis not too hard to dowel them, so I could do that, but the other joints I'm not sure how to do. Not saying I can't learn because that's what this whole project is!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 08:17:51 »
Thanks The_Beast! That helps a lot. I'll ask my dad what he thinks we should do for the joints. Tis not too hard to dowel them, so I could do that, but the other joints I'm not sure how to do. Not saying I can't learn because that's what this whole project is!

If you do use dowels, get some dowel center finders:

Drill the hole for the dowel in once side, drop the right size center finder in the hole, then press the two pieces together exactly how you want it. Then using a brad point drill bit, drill where the little dents are from the center finders. That should give you pretty accurite hole locations for the dowels

Also, do a dry fit before gluing up and make sure you have everything close to  you before you start gluing. It sucks to rush to find clamps when the glue is already starting to dry.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 16:22:55 »
That's looking nice!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."