Author Topic: Hand Wired Plate in a 60% Case  (Read 1435 times)

Offline smellz

Hand Wired Plate in a 60% Case
« on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:26:42 »
I've come up with a custom layout that will fit in a universal 60% case. Designing a pcb is out of the question for me, at least for the first prototype, so I'll be hand wiring.
Has anyone seen this done before?
The big problem arises from the fact that in 60% boards, the case and the rest of the board are attached by screwing the pcb to the case. It should be possible to attach a hand-wired plate to a case, but I guess that some sort of spacers and longer screws would be required.
The spacers will be pretty easy to make. But where could I get the screws?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Hand Wired Plate in a 60% Case
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 10:46:02 »
The screws you will need for a 60% case would be M2 size, and I use pan head machine screws. You will want 5mm spacers to fill the space that would have been taken by the PCB and gap under the plate. I would suggest you get the screws in about 8mm length, as about 6.5mm will be taken by the plate and spacers, leaving 1.5mm to thread into the standoff.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline p3lim

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:47:45 »
I used 10mm standoffs and 6mm laptop screws (both M2) on a 1.5mm stainless steel plate (Poker II case).
I did have to cut off part of the male end on the standoffs as they were too long to fit in the holes in the case, but that was a quick and painless task.

Also, I did not like the angle of the Poker II case, so in addition I filed down some of the standoffs to allow a steeper angle, but that was just for preference.

Keep in mind that you'd have to make sure that the holes on the plate need to be smaller than that of a normal plate, as you'd mount your screws on it instead of on the PCB.

Anyways, you could find both the screws and standoffs on sites like Amazon, that's where I got mine at least.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:49:22 by p3lim »

Offline smellz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 13:34:16 »
Exactly what I needed to know.  ;D  Thanks guys.