Author Topic: Happy Hacker Ripoff - %60 ANSI Layout inspired by HHKB  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
Happy Hacker Ripoff - %60 ANSI Layout inspired by HHKB
« on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 22:17:50 »
101040-0

I can't get the permalink to work on keyboard-editor-layer for some reason so here is the raw data instead.

["Esc\n\n\n\n~ `","!\n1\n\n\nF1","@\n2\n\n\nF2","#\n3\n\n\nF3","$\n4\n\n\nF4","%\n5\n\n\nF5","^\n6\n\n\nF6","&\n7\n\n\nF7","*\n8\n\n\nF8","(\n9\n\n\nF9",")\n0\n\n\nF10","_\n-\n\n\nF11","+\n=\n\n\nF12",{w:2},"|\n\\\n\n\nIns"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab\n\n\n\nCaps","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I\n\n\n\nPrintSc","O\n\n\n\nScrLck","P\n\n\n\nPause","{\n[\n\n\nUp","}\n]",{w:1.5},"Delete\n\n\n\nBackspace"],
[{w:1.75},"Ctrl\n\n\n\nToggle*","A\n\n\n\nVolUp","S\n\n\n\nVolDn","D\n\n\n\nMute","F","G","H\n\n\n\n*","J\n\n\n\n/","K\n\n\n\nHome","L\n\n\n\nPgUp",":\n;\n\n\nLeft","\"\n'\n\n\nRight",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B\n\n\n\n=","N\n\n\n\n+","M\n\n\n\n-","<\n,\n\n\nEnd",">\n.\n\n\nPgDn","?\n/\n\n\nDown",{w:2.75},"Shift\n\n\n\nUp*"],
[{w:1.25},"Fn",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:6.25},"",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win\n\n\n\nLeft*",{w:1.25},"Menu\n\n\n\nDown*",{w:1.25},"Fn\n\n\n\nRight*"]

The goal of this layout was to use the HHKB on the ANSI layout without modifying any of the keys of the standard ANSI layout. This way the layout can work with programmable Pokers, or custom keyboards recycling old plates (which is my case.) It can be implemented on current keyboards right now but I haven't done that yet.

There are some things I couldn't do like having tide and backslash in the same corner because of the standard layout. I tried my best with everything else like the arrow keys and the numpad cluster.

While doing this project, I realized that a lot of HHKB's layout makes sense and can be easily adapted to the keyboard like Ctrl in Caps or a closer Backscape/Delete. Moving Ctrl to Caps left over two extra keys. Originally I put Caps in the left Ctrl but I realize that Caps is an entirely useless key and the vacant key could be used for something more useful, like two Fn's. The advantage of this is having a Fn thats close to the original position of the HHKB's fn on the right and it makes accessing the media keys easier on the left.

I also added things that aren't in the HHKB like a equal sign in the numpad symbol cluster. The Toggle* is a key in the Fn layer that toggles arrow keys in the bottom right corner. This is intended to be used when arrow keys are going to be used frequently like editing spreadsheets and coding. This overrides the Fn key but since there are two of them, that doesn't hamper the function of the layout entirely. Since I don't use the right corner that often or at all, I figured this would be a good place to put some arrow keys without having to modifying the placement of the keys.

The layout is missing Power and Eject because I am definitely not going to use that and I doubt it would work on my computer.

Any thing I should add or improve?

Warning: after talking about it on reddit, it turns out right Fn ctrl is very hard to use. I actually hurt my pinky for a little bit using it. Refer to the bottom post for the better version.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:26:27 by Zukoi »

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
Re: Happy Hacker Ripoff - %60 ANSI Layout inspired by HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 23:59:33 »
After some feedback from the people from reddit. I made version 2. The problem with the first one is that the right ctrl is too far away for use of the pinky. So I decided to apply the SpaceFn concept of tapping for the symbol and hold for the FN, but now it is at the ? button because it is close to the FN button of the HHKB.

Also the arrowkeys are completely different along with a Backspace from the HHKB but it still resembles a HHKB.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b3eced0769c9018af4039ad1d411a8b5

101042-0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the numpad symbols were too far away so I moved the PgUp and PgDn so they are used by the ring finger, assuming your index finger is on j.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/4d84c3b30ed56fd93eae3dbcb743c770

101044-1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? makes it painful to use the function layer. Moved FN to ". Note that it is impossible to use " and Delete/Ins. You will have to use the left FN Ctrl but I don't think that should be a huge issue since its in a fairly good place for the pinky. Accidently put two Pauses, one of them is PrintSc.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/0512a85eb0a6f99efe3916b06077682b

101046-2
------------------------------------
Moved Print, ScrLck, and Pause to the bottom right. Then moved delete and ins to the vacant spots, so it is possible to use delete while on fn. Kept delete on backspace because it made sense to me. They will be overrided when toggling arrow keys.

Note: Difference between fn " and ? isn't that huge. I don't think I'll be using the function row in a one hand operation. Besides I mostly use f1,f2,f3,f4,and f5 so that would be using the left Fn or a two hand operation.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2ed2c9f77f21702c5940bb800595c799

101048-3
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:47:46 by Zukoi »

Offline OverKill

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:28:25 »
Have you seen the Infinity 60% keyboard on MassDrop? The whole inspiration behind that was a poll where people voted for the HHKB layout.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/60-keyboard-layouts

It is also fully programmable. Plus you get a split backspace and an extra key to the right of right shift.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:31:19 »
Have you seen the Infinity 60% keyboard on MassDrop? The whole inspiration behind that was a poll where people voted for the HHKB layout.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/60-keyboard-layouts

It is also fully programmable. Plus you get a split backspace and an extra key to the right of right shift.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit
I have. Very interesting keyboard with a strong community root.

However the purpose of this layout was to be adaptable with non custom keyboards. I plan to recycle old keyboards for parts and use its plate so I decided to make a layout for it. Also there are people who already bought standard keyboard like pokers and v60.

I'll look into autohotkey or touch cursor to make the layout usable anywhere.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2015, 12:35:58 by Zukoi »

Offline OverKill

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 15:54:44 »
Ah ok I see. Good luck! I do enjoy the HHKB style layout a lot so far. I have made a few changes but nothing that will work on a standard poker2 or anything since I used the extra keys :)

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 18:06:26 »
Ah ok I see. Good luck! I do enjoy the HHKB style layout a lot so far. I have made a few changes but nothing that will work on a standard poker2 or anything since I used the extra keys :)

I am glad that the layout helped someone. Good luck with your keyboard adventures.