Author Topic: [IC] FLX - Apogee  (Read 21429 times)

Offline Flexerman

• Thanks for all the fish
[IC] FLX - Apogee
« on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:45:14 »
Update #1 (13th May) - Winkey Blockers removed, I'll produce some full renders when I have a little more time, I've updated the layout options (not final) and added 2 new quick renders.

Hello again,

Thanks for clicking this interest check.

I have the pleasure of presenting you with, Apogee by FLX.

The Keyboard.

• Full T6 6061 Aluminium Construction.
  • QMK compatible PCB.
  • Top Mount / burger mount plate ... or.
  • Gasket ‘Esq’ PCB mount (Plate Free).
  • Seamless top housing over bottom housing design.
  • 7-degree typing angle.
  • Aluminium Switchplate.
  • USB-C Daughterboard.
Layout Options.

Please note, there will also be a regular non-southpaw version top offered, I will update this IC with images when I have them rendered and finalised.
Also note: this is primarily a plateless southpaw board, the right-hand top will only be offered if it doesn't negatively affect the overall price per board.

Details.

Apogee is a board that came about because my wife decided that if I was going to spend hours designing boards every week, then I should at least make one she can use for work. Through several weeks of discussions and finalising the layout, with her help, I set about designing. A few weeks on, and Apogee was born...

Things we know.

Apogee is a primarily a plateless, gasket/grommet PCB mount board, with an option to use an included switchplate if desired.

If Using the keyboard plateless, the PCB will be isolated from the case using Gasket strips (ala Virgo) this should produce a typing feel all it's own.
Should you decide to build with a switchplate, then you will find a burger mounted top mount design which offers a great feel and sound.

The use of sweeping curves and stunning angles will make Apogee a classy addition to any desk setup.

The prototype is expected in a couple of weeks.

Still to be decided.

Weight options, this will be decided after the initial prototype is in hand.
GB Format.
Colours.
The number of units.
Vendors (get in touch if your interested in helping me run a GB this time around..)
Price.

IC Form: https://forms.gle/wUFvKgpkE6VA1xUz7

All of these things are still up for debate, if you have any interest in this board please fill out the interest check form above, it helps out more than you realise, and together we can decide on final colour options as well as voice your opinions on the board.

As always, discussions can be had on my Discord https://discord.gg/dDjx7q3 for this and other projects.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 12:17:07 by Flexerman »

Offline NOLA

Re: [IC] FLX - Apogee
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:56:39 »
Ooooh, a southpaw F-rowless 1800 compact? You have my attention.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:07:41 »
Very cool. Glad to see more southpaw boards coming

Offline self

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:13:08 »
Looks cool, I hope to see this design in 60% in the future!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:17:10 »
Beautiful bottom curves.

Are you thinking about offering two-tone options with different top and bottom color like in the case the Virgo?

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:23:44 »
Looks great was looking for a left handed numpad board and this is at the top of my list.

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:29:55 »
This is amazing! Definitely in, southpaw numpad is so useful

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:31:44 »
Would absolutely kill for this to come in that purple you used for the Virgo..

Offline fooddoof

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 13:15:25 »
Watching this!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 13:20:54 »
Beautiful renders! Excited to see where this goes
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Francisco

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 13:24:40 »
Yes, I'm in for a lefty!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 06:20:36 »
in. what more do I need to say

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:26:18 »
Looks like another winner!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:47:32 »
I mean it's not floating on magnets... But... I've been waiting for something like this.

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 10:03:29 »
That 3/4 angle render is so good, the way the cutout hides the bottom and appears like it's just balancing on the front edge. Beautiful board

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:53:48 »
Love everything about this except the blocker near the arrow cluster. It just seems awkward.
But that side profile and curves?

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:27:09 »
Love everything about this except the blocker near the arrow cluster. It just seems awkward.
But that side profile and curves?
Show Image

I personally like this layout obviously, the blockers are there to add symmetry, I am however open to removing both If that it the general consensus, but I have high hopes for the prototype bringing people around.

Would absolutely kill for this to come in that purple you used for the Virgo..

There is a very high probability, yes.

Are you thinking about offering two-tone options with different top and bottom color like in the case the Virgo?

So the plan currently is to offer less colours than I did on the Virgo, 5 seemed like a good idea at the time, but. In the cold light of day....

The plan here is to maybe offer 3 colours, and yes, pick any combo you like for tops and bottoms, I will get some new renders going once I have a shortlist to choose from.

Looks cool, I hope to see this design in 60% in the future!

Thanks, I’ve put a lot into the design here, adding a unique flavour that I personally love.. I fully intend to continue using this design language in the future.

Thanks all for the kind words so far  :thumb:

Offline yui_

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:31:15 »
just the thought of the machining costs of those curves makes me shudder.

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 02:13:13 »
Going off the IC form, there seems to be a lot of interest in dropping the Win-key blockers, which I'm not opposed to. In fact it's growing on me.

I'll play around with some renders when I get a chance, and throw some options up here, if I like it, I may even order a second top of the prototype.

This:

Is the general area of what I'm thinking...

[/size]

No reason it should.  ;)

Offline NOLA

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 07:44:44 »
Going off the IC form, there seems to be a lot of interest in dropping the Win-key blockers, which I'm not opposed to. In fact it's growing on me.

I'll play around with some renders when I get a chance, and throw some options up here, if I like it, I may even order a second top of the prototype.

This:
Show Image

Is the general area of what I'm thinking...

[/size]

No reason it should.  ;)
Went from having my attention to having my contribution. Will be picking one of these up if the blockers are removed. Can't wait to see some new renders.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 08:31:29 »
My only wish would be arrows on the right. Feel like nav right entry left is the optimal layout.

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:15:04 »
My only wish would be arrows on the right. Feel like nav right entry left is the optimal layout.

It was considered, maybe for a board in the future. 👍

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:15:45 »

Go with non-blocker top and use mod-tap feature on right Shift/Alt/Menu/Ctrl to create a secondary "arrows" block. My layout looks like this:

top left title: modifier when it is pressed with another key
bottom left title: arrows when tapping
bottom right title: nav function when used with Fn

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:22:03 by dmatx1 »

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 10:32:47 »
How hard would it be to make it possible to swap the split shift key on the right, so that the 1U is on the left-hand side and the 1.75U is on the right?

Having that option would allow for JIS on top of ISO, which would be extremely nice to have.  I'm fairly new to this, so I don't know if the fact that no boards >60% seem to support this is just because there's little awareness of JIS or because it would be a technically difficult option to add.  I appreciate that JIS users are a minority but I just wanted to put it out there as if it's just another couple of holes on the PCB I'd love to see it considered.

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 12:18:17 »
How hard would it be to make it possible to swap the split shift key on the right, so that the 1U is on the left-hand side and the 1.75U is on the right?

Having that option would allow for JIS on top of ISO, which would be extremely nice to have.  I'm fairly new to this, so I don't know if the fact that no boards >60% seem to support this is just because there's little awareness of JIS or because it would be a technically difficult option to add.  I appreciate that JIS users are a minority but I just wanted to put it out there as if it's just another couple of holes on the PCB I'd love to see it considered.

I see no reason not to. I've updated the top post with a few renders and updated KLE.  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 15:08:40 »

Go with non-blocker top and use mod-tap feature on right Shift/Alt/Menu/Ctrl to create a secondary "arrows" block. My layout looks like this:

Show Image

top left title: modifier when it is pressed with another key
bottom left title: arrows when tapping
bottom right title: nav function when used with Fn
Yeah. Definitely a way to do it. Just feels a little redundant. I just can't think of many times I'll ever use left arrow keys. Even most left handed people I know don't. But it is a true southpaw of the layout and I'm just being picky :D.

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 23:03:38 »
I see no reason not to. I've updated the top post with a few renders and updated KLE.  :thumb:

Wow, thanks for the quick update!  That’s brilliant.  That allows me to have a fully compliant JIS layout minus the henkan/muhenkan buttons either side of the space bar — but I can put those in the slots above the arrow keys.  This is the first >60% custom board I’ve seen that enables this!

If both are available, I’d probably go for the right-hand-side numpad, but if it ends up southpaw only I’ll still be very tempted. Maybe it’s time to start learning how to numpad left handed...

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 04:30:19 »
Just feels a little redundant.

You can press Down twice as fast with two hands :D

I always setup a secondary arrows cluster to the left part of the board (even on a TKL) for left hand-only operation (usually Caps+WASD for mouse keys, Caps+Tab+WASD for scrolling, Caps+Shift+WASD for arrows), it can be useful when you have to write with pen in the oldschool way with your right hand while looking up info on your computer.

Can't wait to see the proto!
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2020, 04:45:03 by dmatx1 »

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 16:02:12 »
Very interested!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 16:12:22 »
no hotswap?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 04:16:58 »
In for this - really interested to see the color choice (e-white would be nice).

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:15:16 »
Quick and dirty update until I get some nicer pics in and get this thing built...

The prototype is in, the colour was selected by my wife as this will be her daily, and probably won't be available if this gets to GB.

So far I'm super happy with the prototype, nothing needs changing. I'll update again in a day or two...

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:17:12 »
Love it. Now I'm going to come and steal it when I bring the Lodestone Proto down :D

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 18:47:33 »
Proto looking great. Although I do feel like it would help to have the arrows on the right. I'm not someone who minds either way. Can't wait for it to enter gb phase.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:33:22 »
Nice bottom curves with light and shadow :thumb:

It will be interesting how differently people will use the three keys above the arrows. For example I would put Escape into the top position instead of the ~ in the classic 60% layout.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 04:11:34 »
Whoa, board is looking HOT.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 05:11:08 »
This looks really good. Definitely in, will be a nice collection along with the Virgo :)

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 00:14:22 »
Any idea when the GB will drop? I'm not impatient (well, OK, I am) but I also need to plan my keeb budget.

This is top of my list, but I'll miss out on things like the Tind if Apogee happens soon. I'm hoping there will be a Tind v2, if it's anything as successful as the Fjell and Klippe T.

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 05:05:54 »
Any idea when the GB will drop? I'm not impatient (well, OK, I am) but I also need to plan my keeb budget.

This is top of my list, but I'll miss out on things like the Tind if Apogee happens soon. I'm hoping there will be a Tind v2, if it's anything as successful as the Fjell and Klippe T.

I pretty sure Tind Series II is already planned, since if you check out Mekanisk's site to see the GB progress, there is a timeline for Tind Series II already.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:59:25 »
Thanks, I didn't know about the planning already being underway, but I thought there'd be a v2.

Well, Apogee is above Tind on my list, although Tind's not far behind. I think Tind v2 will be refined. It won't have a sub-100 serial number, but I'm not sure I prize that above getting something unique (and sleek) like Apogee.

I just hope there are enough Apogees to satisfy demand! 620 Primus boards lasted minutes with only the Pacific region being awake, Europe and the US were asleep.

Offline ullr

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 18:00:39 »
I have a AL1 and it's one of my favorites, I'd leap for a chance at one of these. Especially with a right hand keypad.

Offline stein3

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 18:31:25 »
That proto is absolutely stunning. The colors look perfect for Hyperfuse (or one of its variants) as well :p.

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 04:02:27 »
I'm in! Any updates on this project? I'm really itching for a Southpaw numpad + arrow key set up right now. The renders look fantastic!

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 07:27:47 »
I'm in! Any updates on this project? I'm really itching for a Southpaw numpad + arrow key set up right now. The renders look fantastic!
Jae from Top Clack recently mentioned on the IC for the J-01 rev 1 that Flexerman (Flex? flx? all of the above?) is busy doing QC work on the Virgo.

It sounds like Apogee and Lodestone are both still go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline soloplayer

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 06:32:16 »
the gmk colorchrome with newest apogee prototype looks sick!!
any update?

Offline azzipa

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 10:37:52 »
right side numpad still planned? (i have smol right brain so even though southpaw makes sense i worry about learning curve)

either way, i’m looking forward to seeing this run  :thumb:

edit: thinking i'll just have to practice left-hand input, this just makes too much sense. and the design has really matured nicely! (image lifted from OP's discord)

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 June 2021, 11:18:32 by azzipa »