Author Topic: [SPRiT] R1 R2 (Shipping 92% Completed)  (Read 1783963 times)

Offline archer

Hi Sprit!

Question for you regarding Round 2.. If I purchase the entire keyboard (87%), including assembly, would something like this be allowed?

Alpha keys = 50g MX Reds
Mods = 50g MX Browns
Esc = 80g MX Brown

Also, do you have a date set for Round 2's end?

I'd definitely like to purchase a fully assembled keyboard from you, but I'd prefer to wait until I receive my acrylic cases from round 1 first.

Thanks again for doing all of this! :thumb:

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
Hi, I got the gist of things now but last questions, what is the difference between 1.6mm and 4mm alu plate? Less flex/more rigidity? Since it's taller do we need to do any additional stuff?

Hey spirit can you just confirm that the only things I need to solder myself are switches and LEDs? And that the resistors, diodes and stuff are presoldered?

When it says ANSI+ISO, how do I choose American/ANSI?

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:19:51 by geogga »

Offline cookiesowns

Hi, I got the gist of things now but last questions, what is the difference between 1.6mm and 4mm alu plate? Less flex/more rigidity? Since it's taller do we need to do any additional stuff?

Hey spirit can you just confirm that the only things I need to solder myself are switches and LEDs? And that the resistors, diodes and stuff are presoldered?

Yes diodes controller as well as bootloader and latest firmware are all pre loaded and soldered. Switches & LED's are the only thing you need.

Difference is in thickness and rigidity on plate, I personally don't know how they feel, but I went with the 4MM plates as I like solidity =) Shouldn't be anything else you need to change.

Offline Melanic

Yes diodes controller as well as bootloader and latest firmware are all pre loaded and soldered. Switches & LED's are the only thing you need.

Difference is in thickness and rigidity on plate, I personally don't know how they feel, but I went with the 4MM plates as I like solidity =) Shouldn't be anything else you need to change.
The resistors for the LEDs have to be soldered as well.

Question.
Is the firmware programed so that the LED on the caps lock changes colour when it is on/off? (Assuming I use a multi colour LED)

Offline geogga

Thank you cookie!

I think that the answer to my last question is  the firmware right?  I mean PCBs don't matter because they both have to same key placement. The only difference is like the enter key where I think the software takes care if that; like programming the higher key on the enter key for enter also. I dunno where to find software. Not sure, this is my "theory".
So I'm going to order one tommorrow. YOLO (jk)

Offline justnits

i'm under the impression that there's resistors pre-soldered on already through early discussion on this thread....but i may be wrong.

sprit, i'm sorry if you have to answer this many times, but does your pcb comes presoldered with resistors for the LED or do we have to buy our own resistors?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Melanic

i'm under the impression that there's resistors pre-soldered on already through early discussion on this thread....but i may be wrong.

sprit, i'm sorry if you have to answer this many times, but does your pcb comes presoldered with resistors for the LED or do we have to buy our own resistors?
As one of the lucky few who got test shipments from Sprit, I can tell you that the LEDs come with tiny little SMD resistors.

Offline justnits

comes with?
meaning to say that the smd resistors are attached to the led already or packets of smd resistors where you have to solder them yourself?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Diodes need to be soldered for switches in the first batch, just got my 60% from the post office a moment ago.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline justnits

that great :D

All  SMD parts are factory pre-soldered? all diode + resistor for each sw are soldered?
Yes SIR !!  All and  All ! SMD parts are Factory pre-soldered ! :D

Diodes need to be soldered for switches in the first batch, just got my 60% from the post office a moment ago.

i somehow missed this post when trying to look back for any clues for resistors being presoldered.
referring to sprit's post where i quoted, isn't the smd parts suppose to be presoldered?
| | | |

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
Welp. I assumed they were pre-soldered from a post last time.
Sprit, any clarifications ?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline YongJK

Hi sprit.
Could you ship out my item?

I don't think I have order much.
Just 60% pcb + acrylic case + 5mm plate + 20gram gpl104 lube.
Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline Melanic

I got a few strips of resistors along with the LEDs. I can only assume they need to be soldered in... otherwise free resistors for me!

comes with?
meaning to say that the smd resistors are attached to the led already or packets of smd resistors where you have to solder them yourself?

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
So the smd's are pre-soldered but not the diodes ?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Is it actually the diodes that need to be soldered on or is it the resistors for the LEDs?  It was my understanding that the SMD diodes would be soldered on, but since the required resistors can be different for the different LEDs (color can change the resistor needed), those were not going to be factory soldered.  I thought I remember a note about that once.  I did not realize the LED resistors were going to be SMD, that was not clear.  I was kind of expecting through hole resistors. 

If the diodes are soldered that is much better because then the board is just switches away from working (without backlighting).  You only need to solder the resistors if you are doing backlighting (which a lot of people want to do with these).  It is much more of a pain to have to do SMD work for lots of switches.  Haha, glad I didn't buy a full sized.  :P

Offline justnits

Is it actually the diodes that need to be soldered on or is it the resistors for the LEDs?  It was my understanding that the SMD diodes would be soldered on, but since the required resistors can be different for the different LEDs (color can change the resistor needed), those were not going to be factory soldered.  I thought I remember a note about that once.  I did not realize the LED resistors were going to be SMD, that was not clear.  I was kind of expecting through hole resistors. 

If the diodes are soldered that is much better because then the board is just switches away from working (without backlighting).  You only need to solder the resistors if you are doing backlighting (which a lot of people want to do with these).  It is much more of a pain to have to do SMD work for lots of switches.  Haha, glad I didn't buy a full sized.  :P

my understanding is more or less the same as yours.
just that i assumed that the resistors are soldered on as well.
another thing i assumed (so much assuming here! LOL!) is that the resistor presoldered is suitable for the higher brightness leds (3.0-3.2v), those lower brightness led, eg, red, orange, yellow, etc...will appear dimmer and if u want uniform brightness, that's when u need to mod out the resistor to suit the led.
and yes initially i assumed it to be hole resistors type, and then i got confused seeing that all smd parts are factory presoldered...haha!

now we need sprit to clear it up for us >.<
| | | |

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
They board supports SMD diodes for the switches but mine wasn't soldered, got a bag of normal diodes with the pcb instead.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
They board supports SMD diodes for the switches but mine wasn't soldered, got a bag of normal diodes with the pcb instead.

Thanks for letting us know.  :)  Can you post a picture for us so we know what we can expect to have to do?

Offline geogga

Thanks for letting us know.  :)  Can you post a picture for us so we know what we can expect to have to do?

Yes, that'd be great! I wanna know what to get my hands on if I order some stuff

Offline YongJK

I love soldering.
just throw me all the components.
but not controller and flashing firmware please  :p
Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I love soldering.

I am looking forward to seeing how good I am at hand soldering SMDs.  Good thing I got some real small tips and some super sharp tweezers.  Lets just hope my eyes are good enough.  Haha...  :)

Offline justnits

I love soldering.

I am looking forward to seeing how good I am at hand soldering SMDs.  Good thing I got some real small tips and some super sharp tweezers.  Lets just hope my eyes are good enough.  Haha...  :)

there's always magnifying glass station with lights  :p
i hope my eyes are able to keep up as well >.<
| | | |

Offline geogga

Ehh I was just thinking, you know how it says assembled for $45? Could there be an option to solder everything except the switches and LEDs?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Ehh I was just thinking, you know how it says assembled for $45? Could there be an option to solder everything except the switches and LEDs?

Thats what most people thought the default was...

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
PCB MOQ Issue !

PCB   :   Full LED + HW Macro      Open Source Based!     
60%, 75%  PCB    :  Fixed Price  50 USD  (MOQ = 50)             
87%, 110%  PCB  :  Fixed Price  55 USD  (MOQ = 50)                 
* ANSI+ISO, 1.6T Heavy Duty, All SMDs are pre-soldered (MOQ).         
* The Latest Firmware & Key-Maps Installed and Tested 

As I explained to Some Members,
...   One thing I am really sorry is,  ....  Before the GB started, I got a negotiation with the Factory as 50 +50 +50 +50pcs for Automatic soldering.   
But The MOQ failed  in the 1st batch of PCB Orders.    :(   
So for this 1st Batch, Diodes and Resistors for LEDs are not soldered. 
Sure, The Controller and It's parts are Soldered and Tested, the Latest Firmware installed.....
:) 

Conclusion :  MOQ Matters.

I worried about that.  After all, The PCBs were under MOQ.  If the Order is 50 +30+30+20,  There was No way to do Automatic soldering in the Factory.
Because of Equippments Setups and alignment Prosess, and Time and Costs.
Really Struggled for that with the Factory untill recently,  Terribly Sorry For That ! 
:(    :(   

Soldering Diodes are Not that difficult.  Basically Same as LEDs.  I will post some Easy Technics for it.

I will solder Diodes for 10pcs 60% PCBs for free , If You Guys ask.

If more Guys want the diodes soldered, I will do it for the 60% PCBs by hand.   It was near MOQ.

The LED Orders are around the half of the PCB Orders.  Seems Not Everybody needs LEDs.
Soldering Small chip Resisters for LED is basically same.

For the 2nd GB Batch,  I am going to Produce Each 100pcs of Factory-Presoldered 60%, 87% PCB.

75% and 110% PCB are to be Hand-Soldered.   

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:49:08 by sprit »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
I posted earlier in the thread but I guess it got overlooked. Are you selling any aluminum plates that would fit a Filco tenkeyless? Can I order just a plate? I assume, since I want to use my existing costar stabilizers I would want the 1.5mm plate since the costar stabs are designed to fit 0.060" plates.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Thats what most people thought the default was...

Yeah, I thought it was everything soldered save for the switches and LEDs for that price.  It sounds like Sprit will be doing the LED diode soldering if you ask though.  I know I would like that done.  If that's the case, thanks for making that right Sprit.  I know not everyone will go that far in a GB.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
So are both diodes and resistors through hole soldering? Either way I am actually happy about this, more soldering fun for me :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I have to admit that it does sound a little daunting to solder on 270 smd components for my 60 and 75% boards.  I am going to be well practiced when I am finished with these boards.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
So are both diodes and resistors through hole soldering? Either way I am actually happy about this, more soldering fun for me :D

I think everything is SMD on this, but I could be wrong.  Can someone confirm who has received theirs?

Offline mooswa

Anxious to see some pictures of Sprit's keyboards here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53618.0;topicseen   

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
I have to admit that it does sound a little daunting to solder on 270 smd components for my 60 and 75% boards.  I am going to be well practiced when I am finished with these boards.  :)
You will feel much more accomplishment afterwards though  ;)

Nothing more fun than taking an afternoon, putting on some music and soldering away.

He just said "Soldering Diodes are Not that difficult.  Basically Same as LEDs.  I will post some Easy Technics for it."

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::

I think everything is SMD on this, but I could be wrong.  Can someone confirm who has received theirs?

The Diodes are for Both Hole- and SMD- Soldering,  The LED Resistors are for SMD Soldering.   
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 January 2014, 23:44:11 by sprit »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
I really hope it's easy. I wasn't expecting such an issue to come up when I ordered the PCB. Knowing this ahead of time, I would have probably not ordered. I know I can't be the only one uncomfortable with the additional soldering required.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I really hope it's easy. I wasn't expecting such an issue to come up when I ordered the PCB. Knowing this ahead of time, I would have probably not ordered. I know I can't be the only one uncomfortable with the additional soldering required.

Nope, you're not.  I might try and find a hot air station to use for cheap/free since I don't feel comfortable doing SMD soldering with my setup.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder

To be honest had I known I wouldn't have ordered either. It might be easy to solder diodes but it still effectively doubles the amount of soldering I have to do.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles with GB's though, still happy to have my board.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
Really Sorry for this!!!  Mr. Keymaster!   :(
If You give me time, I will do it for You. If You feel uncomfortable with SMD soldering .  :)   

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 01:55:22 by sprit »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

The Diodes are for Both Hole- and SMD- Soldering,  The LED Resistors are for SMD Soldering.   

Thanks Sprit.  Will you be providing both through hole and SMD diodes as well as resistors?  Or just one type of diode?

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout

Thanks Sprit.  Will you be providing both through hole and SMD diodes as well as resistors?  Or just one type of diode?
I will provide SMD type.  SMD Diodes are Bigger than Resistors.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
[snip] Knowing this ahead of time, I would have probably not ordered.

I am not daunted. I have never soldered anything before buying myself that phantom board just before the holidays (Merry Christmas, malamute!) and yet I find I have a working board on my kitchen table. It has not been a small job, but I look forward to this project's completion, and eagerly await the ALPS 60% boards.

Err, I don't suppose if you told yourself it was a right of passage, getting a board with some loose parts would make you feel better about participating in the GB?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout

To be honest had I known I wouldn't have ordered either. It might be easy to solder diodes but it still effectively doubles the amount of soldering I have to do.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles with GB's though, still happy to have my board.

For the presolded PCB, The MOQ Really matters.

OK!  I will work on All Doides Pre-soldered By hand, For 60% and 75%  and 87% PCBs for 1st GB.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 00:03:21 by sprit »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder

For the PCB, The MOQ Really matters.

I understand that, just communicate things like this a bit better in future. I wasn't even made aware of the diode issue until it was in the post.

Besides the point though, I don't want to make a big deal out of it but I thought people should know.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Ok, I should be able to handle this.  You don't need to hold up shipping my order.  I can take care of soldering it.  Thx...

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time

OK!  I will work on All Doides Pre-soldered By hand, For 60% and 75%  and 87% PCBs for 1st GB.

Please be sure to do it in an open ventilated area (soldering so much will have adverse effects), do it outside with a fan?, you are truly a man. The entire time I've been on GH, this is probably the most daunting task I've ever seen someone willing to do.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder

Please be sure to do it in an open ventilated area (soldering so much will have adverse effects), do it outside with a fan?, you are truly a man. The entire time I've been on GH, this is probably the most daunting task I've ever seen someone willing to do.

Yawn.

Offline justnits

sprit, so our pcb order comes with SMD Diodes and SMD Resistors?
if that is the case, you may ship my order without having to solder it for me, i am ok with soldering it myself :)
| | | |

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout

Thank You!   Meiosis!  :)
I am going to do it with Some Skilled man. 
Regardless of the MOQ failed, I feel the Resposiblity at least for the Diodes!  :) 

Estimated Time for a 60% PCB  Diodes Soldering is 15 min.

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 00:38:27 by sprit »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Thank you once again Sprit for your generosity and hard work! First you pay in advance to keep production running while you were getting things sorted out with Paypal, and now you'll have to go through a couple (hundred?) pcbs with SMD Diodes due to lack of MOQ!

Give this man a round of applause. I really appreciate that you're sticking to your words. Once again, thank you very much! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Melanic

Regardless of the MOQ failed, I feel the Resposiblity at least for the Diodes!  :) 
Thank you very much for this. I was ready to do it myself, but I wasn't too confident that I wouldn't damage them if I did it.

Question about the 60% firmware.
Does the caps lock LED change colour when I activate it? Assuming I use a multi colour LED.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
Thank you once again Sprit for your generosity and hard work! First you pay in advance to keep production running while you were getting things sorted out with Paypal, and now you'll have to go through a couple (hundred?) pcbs with SMD Diodes due to lack of MOQ!

Give this man a round of applause. I really appreciate that you're sticking to your words. Once again, thank you very much! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Actually I feel Shame for Not succeeded in All SMD Factory Pre-Soldering.    :( 
The Factory finally refused for the Small Qty and Set-Up Cost and Time.

But I want at least All the Diodes Soldered Before Shipping for You!
:)

The Last Problem is the Resistors for LED.
I will ask Everyone on that in the Invoices or PM,  Who need this.  :)

The Estimated Time for the Soldering Resistors on a 60% PCB is  20-25 min for me.  All are Free!

I will Post the Soldered PCB Pics !
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 04:26:06 by sprit »