Author Topic: [SPRiT] R1 R2 (Shipping 92% Completed)  (Read 1783961 times)

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::

Lots of messages to answer!

Sorry! Guys!   ;)     
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 July 2014, 04:25:18 by sprit »

Offline feizor

I have started my build, and thought i would give a heads up to anyone wishing to do SIP Socket mod to switches and planning on getting the acrylic plate. There does notseem to be enough clearance from the SIP socket pins to solder to the PCB.

Not sure if there are alternative SIP Sockets that may fit, but the one i have, and seem pretty standard are not long enough. I am most likely going to be looking for a thinner alu plate in its place.

They worked fine for me.  The end of the legs on the sip sockets were basically flush with the bottom of the PCB before I soldered them on.  I was able to touch both the leg of the sip socket and the trace on the PCB without any issue.  It soldered up pretty nicely...

I don't have a good picture of it (other than just the final pictures of the case where you can see what it looks like), but here is my build log...

It may be worth noting that I also removed the entire housing of my sip sockets before installing them in the switch.  Not sure if that will make a difference, but I suspect it might...

I nearly pm'd you asking. Was not sure what plate  you used for you build.

That is good to know, I will give it a go. I have removed the housing aswell. I have only eyeballed it at this point.

If you have questions while you build, feel free to PM me or post here and I can share with all.  It is bloody close, but it works fine.  :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences Swill!

If you remove the housing from the sip sockets, is there any risk of shorting?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I have started my build, and thought i would give a heads up to anyone wishing to do SIP Socket mod to switches and planning on getting the acrylic plate. There does notseem to be enough clearance from the SIP socket pins to solder to the PCB.

Not sure if there are alternative SIP Sockets that may fit, but the one i have, and seem pretty standard are not long enough. I am most likely going to be looking for a thinner alu plate in its place.

They worked fine for me.  The end of the legs on the sip sockets were basically flush with the bottom of the PCB before I soldered them on.  I was able to touch both the leg of the sip socket and the trace on the PCB without any issue.  It soldered up pretty nicely...

I don't have a good picture of it (other than just the final pictures of the case where you can see what it looks like), but here is my build log...

It may be worth noting that I also removed the entire housing of my sip sockets before installing them in the switch.  Not sure if that will make a difference, but I suspect it might...

That is good to know, I will give it a go. I have removed the housing aswell. I have only eyeballed it at this point.

If you have questions while you build, feel free to PM me or post here and I can share with all.  It is bloody close, but it works fine.  :)

No, I would not worry about that at all.  You will put an LED in it before you solder (TRUST ME, DO THIS!!!), so when you solder the spacing will be fixed wide enough that it will never short.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
No, I would not worry about that at all.  You will put an LED in it before you solder (TRUST ME, DO THIS!!!), so when you solder the spacing will be fixed wide enough that it will never short.
I did not do this and it looks really messy. It still works, but the LEDs are harder to insert and it looks really ugly, especially with my clear keytops.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
I did not do this and it looks really messy. It still works, but the LEDs are harder to insert and it looks really ugly, especially with my clear keytops.

How does it look ugly? You would not be seeing any part of the sip socket at all. Unless you meant clear switch covers?

Offline feizor

Thanks for the tip swill, I'll keep that in mind!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
How does it look ugly? You would not be seeing any part of the sip socket at all. Unless you meant clear switch covers?

I am using clear switch tops, but you can see the SIP sockets poking out even with normal ones.

Offline fatchoi

I am using clear switch tops, but you can see the SIP sockets poking out even with normal ones.

I'll be using these ones when the Sprit stuff arrives. :D
Used these before on 2 other boards, without problem at all, except I had to position the pins carefully before closing the switch top.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
Spirit I would also like an ETA on my order please
Oh!  Dear bakteria!   :thumb:
So Sorry!   BIG Apology!
Your 60% PCB is  Ready to ship,  I PMed.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
Round 2  MOQ Status  (Not Invoiced Yet)

-  PCB   :  60%  hit the MOQ (all SMD presoldered),   75%, 87%, 110%  under MOQ  (The main controller Parts will be hand-soldered, You may need to solder the diodes, LED resistors)
-  Metal Plates,  Metal Cases  :  Far below the MOQ
-  Acrylic Plates, Cases  :  hit the MOQ
-  The other Parts  :  hit the MOQ

Round 1  :  Shipping  on going   
- Doing diode soldering before shipping.
- Sorting & packing for each shipping.
- Sending a Personal message before each shipping
- So Sorry for the Delay !!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 07:15:45 by sprit »

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
Round 2  MOQ Status  (Not Invoiced Yet)

-  PCB   :  60%  hit the MOQ (all SMD presoldered),   75%, 87%, 110%  under MOQ  (The main controller Parts will be hand-soldered, You may need to solder the diodes, LED resistors)
-  Metal Plates,  Metal Cases  :  Far below the MOQ
-  Acrylic Plates, Cases  :  hit the MOQ
-  The other Parts  :  hit the MOQ

Round 1  :  Shipping  on going   
- Doing diode soldering before shipping.
- Sorting & packing for each shipping.
- Sending a Personal message before each shipping
- So Sorry for the Delay !!

Hey, would this mean that the metal plates/cases won't be produced? Would we be given time to modify our orders if that happens?

Also if we order the model 2 acrylic case with plate layer, we wouldn't need to order a separate plate?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:43:14 by kakakowie »

Offline bboyer

If metal plates/cases don't hit the MOQ in round 2, will those of us who ordered them have a chance to add an acrylic instead?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I think your order with either wait till the MOQ is met or you could potentially change your order to only include items which will hit the MOQ.

Don't take my word for it, but that is what I suspect.

Offline Aidenknives

Put me down for a 75% case!

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
Just as a question as I'm looking to get one of these as they look very nice, would they fit other aftermarket cases such as the TEX series ones, and the last question what would the best acrylic case and plate be to get I mean this as it would be the more premium built and feeling, sorry if they have been answered before but its quite a big thread so I just wanted to ask :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Fill out the order form.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Just a quick question about the firmware. How many function layers can it support?
Bumping this qusestion.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Just a quick question about the firmware. How many function layers can it support?
Bumping this question.

I think I saw 4 layers (that might have included the default layer) in the keymapping UI.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
I think I saw 4 layers (that might have included the default layer) in the keymapping UI.
Okay, thanks.

Offline Aidenknives

Fill out the order form.
Can you link the form? Sorry going off an iphone until my new router comes in.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Okay, thanks.

I just confirmed.  It has a default layer and 3 Fn layers...

http://boot.winkeyless.kr/bootMapper/

Offline Aidenknives

Fill out the order form.

its in the OP, but here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1avh0wGJIpLXC8duM5XfIOMrk8eCp6ZGE27QY08WDqcg/viewform
Sorry about that. One more question. Is the model 1 75% acrylic case compatible with the vortex race 2 keyboard?

Offline IMHB

Sprit please answer my PM... I'm still waiting for your response for the size issue with the 87% case..

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Fill out the order form.

its in the OP, but here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1avh0wGJIpLXC8duM5XfIOMrk8eCp6ZGE27QY08WDqcg/viewform
Sorry about that. One more question. Is the model 1 75% acrylic case compatible with the vortex race 2 keyboard?

That I can't answer. I did not buy any cases.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l

Fill out the order form.

I don't believe so because the USB port is in a completely different spot.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline bladegesnow

Hi sprit,

I just sent you a PM about shipping issue. Pls reply thank you!
More and more and more...

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Question: was anyone of you forced to pay custom fees? It would be ideal, if sprit sends the packages declared a “gift” without any sign, that he is commercial, no?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:15:12 by Eszett »

Offline BlueBär

Question: was anyone of you forced to pay custom fees? It would be ideal, if sprit sends the packages declared a “gift” without any sign, that he is commercial, no?

It doesn't matter if it's declared it as a gift, as a German you will have to pay 19% fees on anything you import with a value over 22€.

Offline Eszett

From what I’ve heard now the idea to send it declared as gift isn’t recommended, because customs will become more suspicious then. But “value” is in many cases no objective matter. It’s the sender who declares kind of good and it’s value. If he declares it as “books” with a value of 19.90 € it will likely result in no custom fees.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 19:09:18 by Eszett »

Offline Thechemist

Sprit are you able to answer my PM please.

Offline Eszett

I guess he is busy now, didn’t answer to my PM as well.

Offline RSSonic92

Too bad, I really would like an individual status update for my order as well, considering the amount of money involved. It cannot be helped though, he really seems alread busy enought considering all that soldering alone...

Offline Eszett

(deleted)
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 06:58:33 by Eszett »

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
I'm interested in a 75% SpiRiT, however, I'm a bit confused to as how everything fits together.

There are 3 pieces that make up the case, and 1 piece that makes the plate. Does this mean that the plate is optional, and only necessary if I wanted to plate mount, instead of PCB mount the switches?

May seem like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to visualize how this will look in the end.

Thanks.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline RSSonic92

I'm interested in a 75% SpiRiT, however, I'm a bit confused to as how everything fits together.

There are 3 pieces that make up the case, and 1 piece that makes the plate. Does this mean that the plate is optional, and only necessary if I wanted to plate mount, instead of PCB mount the switches?

May seem like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to visualize how this will look in the end.

Thanks.

see here

Offline ninjadoc

What is the current status on orders from last year in the first round?

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."

Thanks.

here

Answers my question exactly.

Last question regarding the plate, is the metal plate compatible with  the acrylic case? Or is it only usable with the metal case?
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 13:02:47 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

They are being shipped as sprit finishes up soldering them and putting the orders together. It is a lot of work, so it is taking some time, but he is rocking through it.

Even with the delays due to the excess work sprit took on to make sure every customer is taken care of, this is still one of the fastest GBs for building a board.

From experience, the PCBs are great quality and a joy to work with. You will be happy with your purchase.

Offline fatchoi

They are being shipped as sprit finishes up soldering them and putting the orders together. It is a lot of work, so it is taking some time, but he is rocking through it.

Even with the delays due to the excess work sprit took on to make sure every customer is taken care of, this is still one of the fastest GBs for building a board.

From experience, the PCBs are great quality and a joy to work with. You will be happy with your purchase.

Yea, I'm looking forward to it. Hope the waiting worth.
Sprit said last week he was not feeling well and would ship my order this week.

Stuff is progressing so I guess we should be patient. My order consists of different items and probably that's why it took longer time. Once received, I'm taking day off from work to assemble it. :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 19:31:35 by fatchoi »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Yea, I'm looking forward to it. Hope the waiting worth.
Sprit said last week he was not feeling well and would ship my order this week.

Stuff is progressing so I guess we should be patient. My order consists of different items and probably that's why it took longer time. Once received, I'm taking day off from work to assemble it. :D

You will not be disappointed with the quality, I think it's stellar. If anyone wants to go plateless, I think this is the pcb to do it with. It's solid...

Offline numiru

Is anyone reselling these PCBs in the US? Shipping seems like it could get very expensive.
KUL ES-87

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Is anyone reselling these PCBs in the US? Shipping seems like it could get very expensive.

Not that I know of.  Once you factor in split shipping, acquiring stabilizers and plates from another source, and reshipping costs, you really wouldn't be saving money with a US reshipper.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Not that I know of.  Once you factor in split shipping, acquiring stabilizers and plates from another source, and reshipping costs, you really wouldn't be saving money with a US reshipper.

Ya, I actually didn't find the shipping to be very expensive considering how quickly it arrived.  It took less than a week if I remember correctly.  It takes almost everything that I have shipped from the US longer than that.  It also came with a tracking number which was very nice. 

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
Hello Guys!    ;)
Ye, the final stage takes time for me, and each of You.
I am trying focus on PCB finalizing, and packing for shipping.
To some members, I couldn't answer the ETA. 
Really Sorry for that!

Offline RSSonic92

Thanks.

here

Answers my question exactly.

Last question regarding the plate, is the metal plate compatible with  the acrylic case? Or is it only usable with the metal case?

afaik the plates are interchangable, but sprit sugested me not to use a metal plate in an acrylic case because 5mm acrylic plate looks better with an acrylic case in his opinion

Offline hermith

A little anecdotal note from my side: I PCB mounted my switches to my 75% sprit board, and are having no regrets on that so far, even having used primarily plate mounted KBs earlier. :)

Offline numiru

Is the 87% pcb compatible with Filco cases?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:34:03 by numiru »
KUL ES-87

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

It is reported to be. I am unable to verify though.

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
Hello numiru!   ;)

Filco cases are usually Not compatible with the A.87 PCB.