Author Topic: #GETREKT  (Read 780893 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: #GETREKT
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:18:36 »

Offline vax

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:23:40 »
Taking bets for auction end price. PM me your quotes. Clacks and Bros only.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:25:51 »
Damn. Auctions mean 3Love will win it :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:29:04 »
If I weren't out of the game, I'd be all over it, but regardless, that's one good looking cap.  GLWA.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:41:44 »
auction? I guess im out :(

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:47:55 »

I support Bro doing an auction for this.. all of the legal BS can't be cheap

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:49:01 »
As do I. I'm definitely bidding to my max in hopes that my funds clear tomorrow before this auction ends.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:50:45 »
I was thinking the same :) But we must see it the other way, in the end Bro' wins :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:52:34 »
Going I get my tax return tomorrow or today.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:53:40 »

dont be so sure

i get to enter just like everyone else
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:56:37 »
There should be an option to plain out donate without bidding in my opinion.. .

Offline vax

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:58:02 »
Is there actually any cap in history that went for 1k+?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:59:09 »

you are right

and thats a good idea

i will work something out now, with a couple of tiers, and some thanks yous like dibs tickets/stickers etc
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:59:14 »
Is there actually any cap in history that went for 1k+?
Pretty sure this is the first auction held oficcialy for a bro cap since they are either email or raffle usually

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:01:12 »

you are right

and thats a good idea

i will work something out now, with a couple of tiers, and some thanks yous like dibs tickets/stickers etc
Indeed. The reason being so is we should still be allowed to help out a community member in need no matter what weather we outbid someone or not for the caps as I know that I can't bid too much if my funds don't clear which is a possible case with other members as well.

Offline Redeemd

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:05:08 »
Ill donate for a good cause

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:08:58 »
Let's do this. I will gladly help bro throughout all of this ****. If we can get GMK to do custom colors, we could easily raise a few $$$$ for Bro.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:10:57 »
So what exactly are we donating for? I like to help people as much as the next person but I'd like to know a bit more detail than "**** happens". I like to know where my money is going or how it's being used.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:13:28 »
So what exactly are we donating for? I like to help people as much as the next person but I'd like to know a bit more detail than "**** happens". I like to know where my money is going or how it's being used.
I assume lawyers, but there is probably more than just that. I honestly would donate for stickers and other swag.

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:15:24 »
From what I have gathered, you arent donating for anything. You 'donating' in the ticket is your way of saying "I will pay X price for this keycap/bonus extras" To 'bid' more you simply create a ticket with a higher donation (bid) than your previous.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:18:51 »
Donation outside of getting into the keycap auction. Like if you wanted to kick Bro Caps a few bucks because **** happens, with the reason XYZ, and you just wanted to help him out.

I got the reply I was looking for though so I'll see how it goes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:22:23 »
How do we know what the current bid is?

edit: $200 :cool: nevermind

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:23:53 »

It's in the thread on the [CTRL] ALT subforum.
Edit: Just saw the edit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:30:34 »

edit: $200 :cool: nevermind

Relevant links in my sig :thumb:

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:36:30 »
dood... the blood splatter on the bro stamp... it's the little things.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:38:15 »
I believe that's a nosebleed

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:01:31 »
I believe that's a nosebleed
suuuuuuuuuuuuure  :))

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:01:36 »
Hellblazes...
I just saw the auction on ctrl alt and started to read thru all this to catch up on the topic. Ö_Ö

Congrats on shutting down these copy cats first of all Bro!
It was definitely the right thing to do and the right message to send imo since they where obviously making copies of your unique design.

I actually found out about the website from this thread and also visited the r/mk reddit for pretty much the first time and I'm shocked to say it at least... D=
I definitely get why people are hating on this reddit now, after seeing the attitude some people have towards this topic over there!

It's a huge difference, especially from a modesty standpoint, (imo at least) between making artisan caps based on or as a homage to already existing franchises like say star wars for example,
compared to plain copying another artisan cap pretty much completely and shamelessly rebranding it. I would have been really pissed as well as this is just an obvious **** move trying to earn money from your design!

Even using things that are references to or based on for example movies still takes loads of creativity and craftsmanship for coming up with a design that works (technically and aesthetically) as a keycap,
and the work associated with turning the design into reality.

So to me pretty much all the arguments used on reddit are very much invalid and just obvious tries to troll...
Definitely not going back to that reddit any time soon... Those headaches man... xD
GH all the way!

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:04:26 »
Auction? Oh well

Will be watching to see how high this goes

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:10:31 »
quit showing me your 23ub, bro. i don't use the leo numpad i have currently, but every time i look at yours, it makes me want to pick one up

Donation outside of getting into the keycap auction. Like if you wanted to kick Bro Caps a few bucks because **** happens, with the reason XYZ, and you just wanted to help him out.

I got the reply I was looking for though so I'll see how it goes.

i would also like to kick money at bro. hope everything works out for the best amid all the **** happening
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:17:24 »
The artisan caps cottage industry is filled with blatant ripoffs from Mattel, Hasbro, Marvel and Disney to begin with: Skeletor, Optimus Prime, Iron Man, Darth Vader...

Seem like the rule is "steal from anyone you want, just don't steal from us".

Really? Interesting. Aside from the optimus cap which I havent made in years, which of my designs are a 'blatant ripoff' of anything? V2 BroBot is a copyrighted original design.

If you're calling something Skeletor, then that includes everything minus the head. Because the grim reaper has been around many, many years before Skeletor. I can't speak for other
artisans, but from what I have seen, most of them have their own take on a particular character, and are not directly taking from anything. In the case of k3kc, he is directly taking a product
and making exact duplicates. He doesn't seem to have the ability to create anything original, and his duplicates quality leave much to be desired.
This is the argument I was having on reddit until i realized that I was having an argument on  reddit and just dropped it lol. Taking a common design or theme and doing your own spin of it is one thing but what I was trying to get through peoples heads is that this was a REPLICA (a poor one at that) this person didn't try to put out a slightly different take on a robot or skull theme these were poor copies of them. I still kept getting "k3kc is just trying to fill the demand they can't meet its a good thing" blah blah its a bunch of bull **** this was no collaboration at this point I'm beating a dead horse but this is what I get out of it. True this might not affect k3kc that much but Bro showed he is not going to sit around an do nothing and I think that sends a message. <3 ya bro  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:20:40 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 17:23:53 »
This is the argument I was having on reddit until  realized that I was having on reddit and just dropped it lol. Taking a common design or theme and doing your own spin of it is one thing but what I was trying to get through peoples heads is that this was a REPLICA (a poor one at that) this person didn't try to put out a slightly different take on a robot or skull theme these were poor copies of them. I still kept getting trying to fill the demand they can't meet is a good thing blah blah its a bunch of bull **** this was no collaboration at this point I'm beating a dead horse but this is what I get out of it. True this might not affect k3kc that much but Bro showed he is not going to sit around an do nothing and I think that sends a message. <3 ya bro  :thumb:

Exactly, i was pretty much trying to say the same thing... There is a big difference (from a modesty standpoint, the creativity/work involved and I guess maybe less but still legal policy) between making design based on something plus porting the Idea to a artisan cap and just a plain ripoff/100% copy of another artisan cap as there is obviously zero creativity involved.

It's a huge difference, especially from a modesty standpoint, (imo at least) between making artisan caps based on or as a homage to already existing franchises like say star wars for example,
compared to plain copying another artisan cap pretty much completely and shamelessly rebranding it. I would have been really pissed as well as this is just an obvious **** move trying to earn money from your design!

Even using things that are references to or based on for example movies still takes loads of creativity and craftsmanship for coming up with a design that works (technically and aesthetically) as a keycap,
and the work associated with turning the design into reality.

So to me pretty much all the arguments used on reddit are very much invalid and just obvious tries to troll...
Definitely not going back to that reddit any time soon... Those headaches man... xD
GH all the way!

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:13:13 »
omg REKT!  You will always be my favorite artisan brocaps ^-^

I don't have any bro's but I would love to own any that are BS.
K3 had it coming.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:24:52 »
To all the wikipedia lawyers from reddit and all the people from VNMK that think there is nothing more that can be done, let me advise you that I have filed copyrights in Vietnam for my designs, and am working with an attorney there, as well.

To k3kc - you made this personal for no reason, now face the penalty in legal form. PayPal is not the stopping point, its just phase 1. Phase 2 is bringing legal action directly to you. Do you want to keep going? I am ready.

Great to hear mate. Sucks that you have to do this at all but maybe this will get the point across to that stupid lowlife.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline jvarg

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:38:21 »
2 siqqqqqqq

HHKB | 87UB | 23UB | FC660C | FC500RR

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:41:34 »
I think the reddit thread is slowly giving me cancer.
I actually get a headache after spending more than 10 minutes on that sub.

Tell me about it.. Those people are SO Anti capcrafters rights, it's ridiculous... *******s.

I completely understand the desire to hate "reddit" for some comments that a lot of posters there are making, but I caution users to generalize to the extent of criminalizing an entire subreddit population.  As we are well aware, there are many different types of people posting on reddit.  Some do support rip-off artisan caps, which really irks me, but many do not.  As you may have noticed, the topic posted on reddit about this is currently "positive" (more upvotes than downvotes), which means that clearly not everyone there is opposed to this news. 

Additionally, the nature of reddit lends itself to endorse lurking and makes it really easy to miss key information in topics like this.  I repeatedly see redditors posting in these threads that have no clue about the history of this issue.  This is not their fault, and they shouldn't be bashed for it.  I think that a more nurturing approach on these topics would be a lot more useful for everyone. 

All this said, yes, there are still some nasty people on reddit, and frankly, on GH as well.  I think we all know that there are k3 supporters here too.  So why does reddit get the bad press?  Probably because you won't be crucified for endorsing him there (not that that's okay).  But the point is, I don't think this is a reddit/GH issue and I don't think it should be.  If you want to attack the people supporting k3, do that, but don't lump the innocent redditors into the group - it does nothing but further fragment the two communities.

I've exhausted this topic here, so I apologize for the lengthy comment, but I just wanted to put this out there.  This is my personal opinion, and is not a post from the moderation staff.  You are free to disagree with this post and me in general.  And I want to stress one last time that I do not support or defend those who support k3.  The only intent of this post is to urge others to stop catching all the innocent redditors in the cross-fire.

<3

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:43:50 »

Tell me about it.. Those people are SO Anti capcrafters rights, it's ridiculous... *******s.

I completely understand the desire to hate "reddit" for some comments that a lot of posters there are making, but I caution users to generalize to the extent of criminalizing an entire subreddit population.  As we are well aware, there are many different types of people posting on reddit.  Some do support rip-off artisan caps, which really irks me, but many do not.  As you may have noticed, the topic posted on reddit about this is currently "positive" (more upvotes than downvotes), which means that clearly not everyone there is opposed to this news. 

Additionally, the nature of reddit lends itself to endorse lurking and makes it really easy to miss key information in topics like this.  I repeatedly see redditors posting in these threads that have no clue about the history of this issue.  This is not their fault, and they shouldn't be bashed for it.  I think that a more nurturing approach on these topics would be a lot more useful for everyone. 

All this said, yes, there are still some nasty people on reddit, and frankly, on GH as well.  I think we all know that there are k3 supporters here too.  So why does reddit get the bad press?  Probably because you won't be crucified for endorsing him there (not that that's okay).  But the point is, I don't think this is a reddit/GH issue and I don't think it should be.  If you want to attack the people supporting k3, do that, but don't lump the innocent redditors into the group - it does nothing but further fragment the two communities.

I've exhausted this topic here, so I apologize for the lengthy comment, but I just wanted to put this out there.  This is my personal opinion, and is not a post from the moderation staff.  You are free to disagree with this post and me in general.  And I want to stress one last time that I do not support or defend those who support k3.  The only intent of this post is to urge others to stop catching all the innocent redditors in the cross-fire.

<3
Heretic...   :p :-*

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:46:03 »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:09:20 »

<3
Heretic...    :-*
HoffmanMyster... more like HoffmanRypster amirite

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:12:36 »
HoffmanMyster... more like HoffmanRypster amirite

:|
|:
:|

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:13:45 »

<3
I think many on reddit just drink the koolaid.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:15:52 »

<3
Or at least most of the ones that post. With almost double the amount of people we do, they really do lack on discussion and content.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:17:42 »

As I said, it's really easy to miss key information and the format really does "encourage" lurker behaviour and things like that.  But that doesn't mean that everyone on reddit is terrible, and I don't think we should treat it as such.  I think a more positive and informative response would be more beneficial, for both communities.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:19:17 »

As I said, it's really easy to miss key information and the format really does "encourage" lurker behaviour and things like that.  But that doesn't mean that everyone on reddit is terrible, and I don't think we should treat it as such.  I think a more positive and informative response would be more beneficial, for both communities.

I think many are simply misinformed. I've spent more time there lately and there are some interesting projects, lots of creativity and some decent info from time to time.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:22:20 »

The transient and borderline anonymous nature of posting on reddit encourages hive-mind mentality very similar to how fully anonymous forums like 4chan do.

It doesn't mean that they are invaluable, far from it, however it's certainly a different environment than Geekhack. There is a lot of valuable discussion that happens there (there's a great little maker culture within r/mk), but guess which posts rise to the top? (hint: the same kind that garner the most views in American news outlets)
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:33:56 »

<3

Hoffmans point is very valid tho.

There are definitely people this applies to and it's easy to get a bad impression, but we definitely shouldn't just generalize and blame the subreddit as a hole for it.

I barely knew about the situation before today, but there seems to be a big split between the communities, which to be honest is very sad as we should all be one mechanical keyboard community,
and generalizing will just start further unnecessary fights between the communities and split them further apart.

Keep up the Love guys! <3
Make Keyboards, not war... xD

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:37:57 »

<3

There are definitely people this applies to and it's easy to get a bad impression, but we definitely shouldn't just generalize and blame the subreddit as a hole for it.

I barely knew about the situation before today, but there seems to be a big split between the communities, which to be honest is very sad as we should all be one mechanical keyboard community,
and generalizing will just start further unnecessary fights between the communities and split them further apart.

but reddit doesn't make any custom keyboards :p /s

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:53:03 »

<3

Sorry, but that's very much a generalization as well tho...  :p
Are you sure not even a single person on that subreddit has at least assembled a custom board? xD

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:57:07 »

<3

Sorry, but that's very much a generalization as well tho...  :p
Are you sure not even a single person on that subreddit has at least assembled a custom board? xD
In seriousness, I have only seen one-offs, and maybe 1 or 2 customs, but never a custom GB.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:13:05 »
In seriousness, I have only seen one-offs, and maybe 1 or 2 customs, but never a custom GB.

I've honestly just been on the subreddit ones before today so I can't really say anything about how it really is...

I guess the subreddit has a wider audience tho as it is for example easier to make the switch from lurker to poster since people might already have a reddit account.
So the spectrum of people will probably be bigger on reddit as you for example might get many redditor who just tried to research a bit planning on buying a mechanical for example.

But especially since I have never been on this reddit before an mainly know whats linked in this thread I can see how it's easy to get a bad first impression. (cant really speak for more tbh)
I guess even if its definitely one side of the medal it most likely won't apply to everyone and stereotypes usually just lead to fights in between groups,
so I definitely got Hoffmans point on not to generalize, and it just felt sad to me to realize the communities are so split up...
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:17:21 by FoC_Tow »