Author Topic: Can not edit my topics  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Can not edit my topics
« on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 17:23:17 »
When I go to edit my mouse guide here : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0
I get an internal server error.

It is also not displayed correctly. Part of it is displayed differently from the rest, and part of it is cut off (see the1onewolf's image below)

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:25:31 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Can not edit my topics
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 17:50:46 »
Just the text is around 18KB.

Apparently GH has a limit of 20K per post.

With the formatting, you might have reached that limit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:17:32 »
Also this weird shift

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:36:33 »
Also this weird shift
Show Image
Show Image

Yes,  this too. Thanks for pointing it out.  I was wondering if it was just me. Can it be fixed?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:08:35 »
Just the text is around 18KB.

Apparently GH has a limit of 20K per post.

With the formatting, you might have reached that limit.

But everything was fine before. I did not change anything, and suddenly it stopped working as it always has.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:17:51 »
I'm having trouble even loading that thread.  It either shows up black like wolf posted or I see the first two posts and that's it.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:23:07 »
I'm having trouble even loading that thread.  It either shows up black like wolf posted or I see the first two posts and that's it.

:(

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:26:33 »
It might be a forum issue.
When I was attaching those pictures I got a gateway error which forced me to use imgur.

I saw another thread which also had a similar problem when I was browsing.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:26:46 »
Same here, that post is broken. When I check the source it was not completely loaded. It usually happens if there is something wrong in the code or server side.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:31:20 »
I will just wait, and hopefully it will resolve itself.

Forum seems a bit wonky at the moment. I also noticed my post count not updating for example.

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:31:56 »

Forum seems a bit wonky at the moment. I also noticed my post count not updating for example.

Race you to the 1k star.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:42:06 »
Haha, I would have already been there if the forum worked normally. I was close to 1k and aware of it, that is the reason I noticed.  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:43:12 »
I've had a couple of odd problems recently, plus lots of gateway timeouts (although they have stopped for the past day or so).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:44:29 »
Tapatalk was causing so many problems the past few days and now ironically it's working better than using geekhack on my pc.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:44:44 »
It is a little demotivating that there is really no one we can turn to for such issues. You just kind of have to wait and hope for the best.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:46:28 »
I indeed found another topic page that (at least for me) seems to have similar issues.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44539.330

You can see it when you scroll down

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:47:01 »

Race you to the 1k star.

You lost :(

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:47:46 »

Race you to the 1k star.

Yea I did :/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:49:55 »

Race you to the 1k star.

Yea I did :/

But you have reached it now!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:08:57 »
Beat you by a hair  ;D

Though unfortunately, the problem with the topic is still not solved. Damn, I am kind of bummed out by it. The forum should work and we should be able to edit our topics.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:39:16 »
I have a feeling it has to do with character limits and/or database issues....but I'm completely guessing.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:56:28 »
You can try "Idly Complaining"  :p
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1459693#msg1459693
This Forum needs site maintenance tweeking I think?

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 15:54:21 »
This is still not resolved... I can't update it, and people can not view it normally.  What the hell.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 16:02:45 »
It is a little demotivating that there is really no one we can turn to for such issues. You just kind of have to wait and hope for the best.

mkawa and rkinze are the forum admins. I believe samwisekoi and perhaps matt3o are as well but I'm not sure. For sure mkawa and rkinze can fix something like this. PMing them or getting someone to contact them by other means is the best way to get a hold of them (PM me for more details).

I also noticed my post count not updating for example.

Posts don't count in every subforum. Off Topic and Classifieds posts don't count.

You can try "Idly Complaining"

I said this and I'll say it again. Report your posts or this post to get visibility to the admin/mods. PM a mod that you like. Or contact mkawa. These are all more productive ways of trying to fix your issues rather than complaining in a post and hoping that someone on the team will see it.

FWIW, I've PMed mkawa and another mod about this issue just now.

Offline osi

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 16:11:47 »
A good tip from trizkut was to set the viewable posts back to default in the profile settings

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 16:40:47 »
Thanks for the feedback and information all. Especially you CPT. We will wait and see what happens. Just to be clear, I was just expressing my confusion about the situation. And I understand it could be a part of larger forum issues that are not resolved overnight.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:05:47 »
we're having some server issues. grumble grumble is the only thing i can really say about it at the moment.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:17:01 »
FWIW pictures are loading better for me in at least one thread now.

Thank you for your dedication mkawa :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 18:03:11 »
it turns out that out of disk space situations look exactly like a ddos. facepalm. imav is to thank for finding and fixing this one

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 18:32:41 »
Sorry to hear about that Mkawa. I thought it was in isolated problem at first. Only later did I start to understand there was some larger problem (when I saw some other things going wrong).

Hope you guys were able to resolve it without too much problems. Though "Grumble grumble" did not sound good. Great to see people are on top of it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 September 2014, 18:47:13 by Grim Fandango »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 01:41:52 »
it turns out that out of disk space situations look exactly like a ddos. facepalm. imav is to thank for finding and fixing this one

Thanks for resolving this :)

It is good to hear that iMav is still involved in GH!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 07:07:14 »
we're having some server issues. grumble grumble is the only thing i can really say about it at the moment.

Thanks for getting the site back to normal operation you Guys did the hard part. Its real easy to complain about it (myself included), Good Work!