Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65  (Read 563760 times)

Offline TonyPia

Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 18:29:24 »
Couple questions.
1. No lighting (per key/underglow) on Hotswap and Solder PCB?
2. If there is or if I add light, does the light come out through the middle case if I opt in PC middle and alu top/bottom?
3. No Bluetooth?
4. Support Screw In PCB mount stabs?

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:02:49 »
In for a board for sure, but would love to see a PC top with the Kanji logo. Any hope to see an example before hand? Like others have said, I would love to have that option but only if it looks good and not look janky.

No. We're not gonna make more prototypes before GB closes.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:08:24 »
I have a couple questions...

First, have you had a chance to weigh the weights?
I'm curious about the weight difference between brass/aluminum, although the lack of a space grey brass option might make that a moot point.

Second, if we make multiple orders, will they be shipped together?
Just wondering if I'll be paying shipping twice if I order two boards, or if they can be combined to save on shipping costs.

The weight difference between aluminum and brass weights is 264g/0.58lb.
Yes, they can be shipped together. The shipping fee depends on the total weight. Combined shipping can save a little but not half.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:10:53 »
Couple questions.
2. If there is or if I add light, does the light come out through the middle case if I opt in PC middle and alu top/bottom?
3. No Bluetooth?

1. Per key backlight is supported
2. No
3. No
4. Yes

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:15:42 »
I will send out the first batch of invoices today.
If you've received the email, you're in this batch.
The edit after submit function is temporary off.

Offline nicx

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:53:21 »
In for a board for sure, but would love to see a PC top with the Kanji logo. Any hope to see an example before hand? Like others have said, I would love to have that option but only if it looks good and not look janky.

Dang, what about for the factory maybe doing an example on a small piece of PC with engraving on it just to get an idea? I just can't remember the last time i've seen PC with engraving in it. If not its no biggie, i'll probably order it anyways and cross my fingers.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:54:24 »
Couple questions.
3. No Bluetooth?

1. Per key backlight is supported
2. No
3. No
4. Yes

Thanks for the quick response.
1. Per key backlight supported? Does it mean I need to install and it doesn't come out of the box?
2. So the only way to see the light through the case is to have the PC bottom?

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 20:24:08 »

Dang, what about for the factory maybe doing an example on a small piece of PC with engraving on it just to get an idea? I just can't remember the last time i've seen PC with engraving in it. If not its no biggie, i'll probably order it anyways and cross my fingers.

Unfortunately no chance. It doesn't matter how large the part we order. That's not how the factory works.
The factories work for much larger orders in most of the time. We order prototypes only when they're willing to.

Offline Wobafet

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 20:54:49 »
Once the GB ends is it possible to put all the orders into a google docs/excel sheet so it can be quicker to check our order status?

Offline Cloudz

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 21:02:18 »
Can I use the 7u spacebar version plate for a universal pcb to do a 7u split backspace layout? Some pics show a dedicated backspace cutout and the plate layout picture shows an open cutout for the backspace so wasn't sure.

1. https://imgur.com/WR1gW3B

2. https://i.imgur.com/ByWUlIO.jpg

Hoping for it to be like picture 2 so I can do a wkl 7u bottom row with split backspace layout.

Offline Topernicus

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 21:33:20 »

I'm curious about the weight difference between brass/aluminum, although the lack of a space grey brass option might make that a moot point.

Just wondering if I'll be paying shipping twice if I order two boards, or if they can be combined to save on shipping costs.

Yes, they can be shipped together. The shipping fee depends on the total weight. Combined shipping can save a little but not half.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I don't think just over a half pound difference will make me sad about going with aluminum to get the color choice I want.

How should we arrange for combined shipping? Or am I getting ahead of myself here?

Offline sapphyr

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 22:59:50 »

Show Image

will have the hotswap version on Sunday.

also, is it possible to not have silk screen around stabilizer holes, so don't need to use nylon washers etc., to not short the keyboard when using GMK screw-in stabs?

thanks
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2019, 23:32:51 by sapphyr »

Offline noodleman

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 23:19:14 »
Show Image

The hotswap prototype PCB is finished as well. Will test it later.
is it going to be kailh sockets?

Offline badboy731

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 01:07:14 »

yeah idk now.  I wanted the pc case with the top kanji logo so bad..I’m just hesitant about buying things and not knowing what it looks like.
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline Jaystice

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 05:33:03 »
Hell yeah, first group buy. I’m hyped.
Bottom Text

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 08:42:22 »
Once the GB ends is it possible to put all the orders into a google docs/excel sheet so it can be quicker to check our order status?

I can do that if most people think it's necessary. Everyone except the first 40 should have the order information in their email inboxes. Posting the spreadsheet means publishing everyone's email address and I don't feel right about that.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 08:46:10 »
Can I use the 7u spacebar version plate for a universal pcb to do a 7u split backspace layout? Some pics show a dedicated backspace cutout and the plate layout picture shows an open cutout for the backspace so wasn't sure.

1. https://imgur.com/WR1gW3B

2. https://i.imgur.com/ByWUlIO.jpg

Hoping for it to be like picture 2 so I can do a wkl 7u bottom row with split backspace layout.

It's like pic 2. The open cutout supports both split and non-split BS.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 08:47:17 »

Cool, thanks for the info.  I don't think just over a half pound difference will make me sad about going with aluminum to get the color choice I want.

How should we arrange for combined shipping? Or am I getting ahead of myself here?

Packages will be automatically combined for the same shipping address.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 08:48:36 »

Show Image

will have the hotswap version on Sunday.

also, is it possible to not have silk screen around stabilizer holes, so don't need to use nylon washers etc., to not short the keyboard when using GMK screw-in stabs?

thanks

The stablizer holes are not grounded if that's what you ask. It won't short the keyboard even if it's grounded and you use screw-in stabs.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 08:49:12 »
Show Image

The hotswap prototype PCB is finished as well. Will test it later.
is it going to be kailh sockets?

Yes

Offline Kohsta

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:14:41 »
Payment all made, bring on the excitement  :p

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:30:20 »

When did you get your invoice? I received the first email, but not the invoice.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:32:59 »

When did you get your invoice? I received the first email, but not the invoice.

By first email do you mean the google form info? Other than that I didn't receive anything.

Offline muppen

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:33:42 »
will the plate files you release be iso or just ansi?

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:35:48 »

I can do that if most people think it's necessary. Everyone except the first 40 should have the order information in their email inboxes. Posting the spreadsheet means publishing everyone's email address and I don't feel right about that.

I like the spreadsheet idea. But we can replace email with invoice number

Offline olsen34

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 10:42:48 »

It's useful to know if they are the latest updated form on your end.

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:19:28 »
By first email do you mean the google form info? Other than that I didn't receive anything.

The follow up from senter saying invoices will be sent for first 200

Offline KumaPe

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:24:32 »
I'm intending to go with polycarb top and mid but i never have any experience with this material before. Is there anything I should look at when handling this material? I also heard it tends to attract dust, any advice with that also?
Thanks a lot  ;D

Offline olsen34

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:36:19 »

The follow up from senter saying invoices will be sent for first 200

Huh, haven't received that kind of email yet. Senter, can you please check my order?

Offline Wobafet

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:51:37 »

I agree with hiding the emails and putting the invoice numbers given! Would really like this for convenience

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:09:28 »
Invoiced and paid!

Shipping when

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:43:39 »
What does the text on the weight say? 🤨

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 13:15:00 »
What does the text on the weight say? 🤨

Kanji/Chinese for "Key"

Offline Xantus

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 13:16:43 »
What happens if there is going to be a delay at manufacturing and the boards will not come in the desired state? Afaik Paypal protection lasts only about 6 months.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:06:29 »
What happens if there is going to be a delay at manufacturing and the boards will not come in the desired state? Afaik Paypal protection lasts only about 6 months.

I've seen people ask for refunds and to be re-invoiced in those situations.

Offline infamousvincci

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:25:29 »

I've seen people ask for refunds and to be re-invoiced in those situations.

Hopefully it doesnt reach that stage.

Offline Quasimodo

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:37:27 »
Super interested in joining this, as my first ever mechanical keyboard :)
If I'm buying from the UK, are there any weird fees I should be aware of? I know of import duties, but is there anything else that might suddenly increase the price considerably?
Does the $295 include VAT? Also, could those import duties be 'avoided' with some slight mislabeled parcel values?
Also very new to keyboards, so very unknowledgeable about most things. I've seen mentions of per-key backlighting. What actually is this? Is this just when you have switches with integrated LEDs?

Really excited to maybe join this GB, if only I can decide what combination I want >:D

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2019, 14:39:47 by Quasimodo »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 15:01:40 »
Super interested in joining this, as my first ever mechanical keyboard :)
If I'm buying from the UK, are there any weird fees I should be aware of? I know of import duties, but is there anything else that might suddenly increase the price considerably?
Does the $295 include VAT? Also, could those import duties be 'avoided' with some slight mislabeled parcel values?
Also very new to keyboards, so very unknowledgeable about most things. I've seen mentions of per-key backlighting. What actually is this? Is this just when you have switches with integrated LEDs?

Really excited to maybe join this GB, if only I can decide what combination I want >:D

I wouldn't think it would include VAT, so that would probably be charged by customs along with the import duties.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 15:52:28 »
Does the $295 include VAT?
It doesn't include VAT, since it's shipping worldwide and every country has different VAT rates. You may be invoiced by customs to pay VAT and any other fees before the package is released.

Also, could those import duties be 'avoided' with some slight mislabeled parcel values?
Probably. This isn't an off the shelf product, whose price can be easily confirmed. But if your customs officers are clever they will find the real value and you may get fined for messing around.

I haven't yet seen any switches with integrated LEDs, but most of them have a little slot for LED mounting. You can pick up LEDs of your preferred color, nest them in the switches and solder them to the PCB. That's what "per-key backlighting" usually means: that the PCB supports installing individual LEDs. There are also PCBs that instead have SMD (Surface Mounted Device) RGB LEDs already pre-soldered where the keys would be. They can shine through switches if the switches have clear housings, providing you with a full RGB backlighting without the need to solder the LEDs. One example of such a PCB would be the Zeal60.

The photos of the PCB provided by senter show that it has LED mounting points, but no pre-installed SMD LEDs. Of course, if it did have SMD LEDs it would probably be underlined heavily in the GB thread, since it's an expensive and sometimes sought-after feature.

There's already over 200 orders for this board. I don't think Fox Labs said there's going to be a limit on the production, but waiting too long might push you to the very end of the queue and a very long wait.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline chozn1

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 15:57:17 »
Do you have a sample of how it would look engraved in the clear PC?

No

I’m assuming since you guys are offering this as an option that the factory is aware and capable of producing it? Seems like it would be really cool but don’t think I’ve ever seen something like this done on PC before.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 16:54:38 »
Yay! Got invoiced. Paid and patiently waiting. :) Hope everyone put in their PayPal emails in the order form. If not, check your email - senter wants you to contact them to sort it out.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline Soraie

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 16:56:20 »
Yay! Got invoiced. Paid and patiently waiting. :) Hope everyone put in their PayPal emails in the order form. If not, check your email - senter wants you to contact them to sort it out.

Patiently waiting for that invoice!! Can't wait

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 17:31:54 »
Paid!

Officially in, Shipping will be hopefully at a good time; and then customs... oh yeah custom fees... they gonna hurt. D:

Offline Quasimodo

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 17:38:15 »
Does the $295 include VAT?
It doesn't include VAT, since it's shipping worldwide and every country has different VAT rates. You may be invoiced by customs to pay VAT and any other fees before the package is released.

Also, could those import duties be 'avoided' with some slight mislabeled parcel values?
Probably. This isn't an off the shelf product, whose price can be easily confirmed. But if your customs officers are clever they will find the real value and you may get fined for messing around.

I haven't yet seen any switches with integrated LEDs, but most of them have a little slot for LED mounting. You can pick up LEDs of your preferred color, nest them in the switches and solder them to the PCB. That's what "per-key backlighting" usually means: that the PCB supports installing individual LEDs. There are also PCBs that instead have SMD (Surface Mounted Device) RGB LEDs already pre-soldered where the keys would be. They can shine through switches if the switches have clear housings, providing you with a full RGB backlighting without the need to solder the LEDs. One example of such a PCB would be the Zeal60.

The photos of the PCB provided by senter show that it has LED mounting points, but no pre-installed SMD LEDs. Of course, if it did have SMD LEDs it would probably be underlined heavily in the GB thread, since it's an expensive and sometimes sought-after feature.

There's already over 200 orders for this board. I don't think Fox Labs said there's going to be a limit on the production, but waiting too long might push you to the very end of the queue and a very long wait.

Thanks so much for the thorough response :) Super glad that per-key lighting is just soldering in a single LED. I was worried I'd be limited to the switches with integrated LEDs, because I saw something about an MX RGB switch. If it just means adding an LED, thats perfect. Might need to buy a slightly better soldering iron, than my £10 amazon thing :P
I'll definitely try to have the value under-declared, as it would save me around £80 in fees. I've had it done plenty of times buying expensive flashlights, which are much easier to backtrack and price check, so I'm not too concerned about any problems there :D
I'm also not too fussed about waiting ages. I'm only gonna be home for a couple months, then I'm away for half a year, so won't be able to assemble it anyways. That being said, I'll probably order it some time tomorrow. I'm currently making a crappy mockup in blender, so I can colour the different parts, to get an idea of how different colours will work together :)

Thanks again for all the info <3

Offline Quasimodo

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 17:52:28 »
Oh snap I had another question. The plate is 1.5mm, but if I were to make my own ISO layout plate, could I make it a bunch thicker, like 3-4mm? Would it still fit together, if I got some longer screws, or would it just ruin everything.

Offline Knoxx

• Spends too much on keyboards
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 18:14:16 »
Looking forward to receiving my invoice, gonna have to wait till payday tho

Offline nicx

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 19:12:38 »
Are there any pics of a solid color bottom/middle with a PC top? Coulda sworn I saw that somewhere before the GB started..

edit - nvm I found them.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 19:17:29 »
will the plate files you release be iso or just ansi?

Both

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 19:18:20 »

That's a good idea. Will do.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 19:24:10 »

We'll refund first.
The longest lead time we've ever reached was around 3 months. I don't think it will be longer than 6 months this time.